• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
and then people would have been complaining that its a cheap cash-in and not a 'proper' NFS game

I agree though. Lack of native res games is really frustrating. I paid more for my vita because it has a high res screen, and the only thing that really takes advantage of it is the fucking bubbles on the home screens. Its more useful for PSP games than actual vita ones.
To be fair, there ARE some impressive games running at native resolution.

Wipeout 2048 looks fantastic and is native, Virtua Tennis 4 was native and 60 fps as was Marvel vs Capcom 3. Ninja Gaiden Sigma is native, though the framerate was dropped to 30. There are plenty of other examples as well.

Unfortunately, a number of high profile releases all stuck with sub-native resolutions. :\

I was really hoping for BO paradise 2 but it seems we didn't get it.
Thanks guys for the mini reviews but this is going back when the postie drops it through.

Being a Burnout Paradise fan, I waited for this game to come out.

Bought it on Vita and I like it. I've added my name to the PSN list!

I love how it brings out who's better than you.

I was hoping that this would be the game for me this year but after reading reactions from Paradise fans I don't see myself picking this up before a price drop..

Why some people choose to take one opinion as gospel, while ignoring others is confounding to me. It almost makes you think they didn't want the game in the first place.

It's a shame EA didn't put out a demo though, because unfortunately I think a lot of people are going to skip this thinking it's not something they would enjoy, when in fact they would.

There is something with Neogaf and Criterion racing games that has always puzzled me. I remember there being very mixed opinions with Burnout Paradise, and I remember the exact same thing with Hot Pursuit a couple years ago. When that demo hit opinions were very divided.

But sure enough, there are always lots of posts 6 months, a year later from people who took the bad opinions as gospel, but ended up picking it up later on, and come to realize how amazing the game was all along. Happens every single time.

So it's safe to say the 360 version is as good as the PS3? It seems all the review copies sent out by EA were the 360, I assume because of the kinetic function. Been playing the Vita version, love it. waiting for power to be back then I try the 360. I think the HD install and 1080p upscaling is an adding bonus on the 360.

So it's safe to say the 360 version is as good as the PS3? It seems all the review copies sent out by EA were the 360, I assume because of the kinetic function. Been playing the Vita version, love it. waiting for power to be back then I try the 360. I think the HD install and 1080p upscaling is an adding bonus on the 360.

I was pleased with the 360 version last night, and I can be a little bit of a stickler about performance in my games. I do think the install could turn out to be an advantage on 360, but obviously not that big.

Still, if you want an absolute answer wait for Digital Foundry to do their thing in a day or two.

Is this available on XBL or just PSN?

Unfortunately only PSN. I would have definitely bought it on XBL if possible.

Microsoft just seems afraid to jump into that day one digital world just yet.

I think the single player was fantastic fun.

What racing game do you think does have a good single player mode?

Ditto. Paradise was GREAT as a single-player game. Between the events, gates, and billboards (plus much more traffic than the new game)...I mean...it was fantastic and has tons of fans here on GAF. And, yeah, the multiplayer is great too.

But sure enough, there are always lots of posts 6 months, a year later from people who took the bad opinions as gospel, but ended up picking it up later on, and come to realize how amazing the game was all along. Happens every single time.

It's not a mystery. A $30 game is different from a $60 game.

just bought the game for PS3.
I'm still on the fence but i'm buying it because it's Criterion. I trust them,.. they've earned that trust with paradise.

Playing the game tonight.

There is something with Neogaf and Criterion racing games that has always puzzled me. I remember there being very mixed opinions with Burnout Paradise, and I remember the exact same thing with Hot Pursuit a couple years ago. When that demo hit opinions were very divided.
Personally, I think it's a symptom of how fractured the demands of the racing genre is at this point, and Criterion getting the blunt of these complaints for their racing games is still far better than the likes of Midnight Club, Blur, Split Second and other racers that would have gone completely under the radar.

Just a brief glance over the last few pages: too much like BP, too much not like BP; too little traffic, too much traffic, want more story, wished it was more like BP. And about Paradise: I don't think I've ever seen that much love for it until this thread, cause that game was skewered here for the demo's "lacklustre structure", terrible races, and lack of restart. If I worked for Criterion (or any other racing devs looking at the arcade racing space), and I see this thread to make some sort of quick feedback checklist, I'd be swearing up and down at how wildly different everyone was looking at this game and what they wanted out of it.

jayb

Why some people choose to take one opinion as gospel, while ignoring others is confounding to me. It almost makes you think they didn't want the game in the first place.

It's a shame EA didn't put out a demo though, because unfortunately I think a lot of people are going to skip this thinking it's not something they would enjoy, when in fact they would.

I skeptically played the 1 hour full game PS+ trial last night and was pleasantly surprised. The handling is responsive enough to me, despite the 'tank' comments. Sure it's more weighty/realistic than BP, but it still feels good to me.

Other than handling, my other big concern was annoying cops. But since there isn't much penalty for getting busted, the cops aren't a big deal either.

The number of MP events look fairly significant too.

This is has moved to a definite buy for me. Although I'll still wait a bit, just because I have too many other games to play right now.

And about Paradise: I don't think I've ever seen that much love for it until this thread, cause that game was skewered here for the demo's "lacklustre structure", terrible races, and lack of restart.

Yes, it was - skewered, that is. Then a) people actually played it and realized that it was the worst demo of all time compared to the final product, and 2) Criterion tweaked it and it became a favorite that people here raved over. People didn't put 50-100 hours into a crap game...

It's not a mystery. A $30 game is different from a $60 game.

I'm talking about people expressing surprise at how much better the game was than people here told them it was. That has nothing to do with price.

Personally, I think it's a symptom of how fractured the demands of the racing genre is at this point, and Criterion getting the blunt of these complaints for their racing games is still far better than the likes of Midnight Club, Blur, Split Second and other racers that would have gone completely under the radar.

Just a brief glance over the last few pages: too much like BP, too much not like BP; too little traffic, too much traffic, want more story, wished it was more like BP. And about Paradise: I don't think I've ever seen that much love for it until this thread, cause that game was skewered here for the demo's "lacklustre structure", terrible races, and lack of restart. If I worked for Criterion (or any other racing devs looking at the arcade racing space), and I see this thread to make some sort of quick feedback checklist, I'd be swearing up and down at how wildly different everyone was looking at this game and what they wanted out of it.

I've been thinking the exact same things while browsing the thread.

I played the 1 hour full game PS+ trial last night and was pleasantly surprised. The handling is responsive enough to me, despite the 'tank' comments. Sure it's more weighty/realistic than BP, but it still feels good to me.

Other than handling, my other big concern was annoying cops. But since there isn't much penalty for getting busted, the cops aren't a big deal either.

The number of MP events look fairly significant too.

This is has moved to a definite buy for me. Although I'll still wait a bit, just because I have too many other games to play right now.

Exactly. Even if you think the cops are annoying sometimes, you always have the option of just getting busted and it's over with. The penalty is minor at best.

So even if that is a big complaint for someone, there is a simple solution to it every time.

I love the the Vita version so far. The car models look beautiful but the environment
Can look a little crunchy. Still the controls are tight and the physics feel really good. The lighting and shading on the cars is impressive.i would suggest picking up the trigger/handles for the Vita (for comfort). I have no power so I'm forced to play the Vita version for now. I have a 360 copy unopened waiting.

I'm talking about people expressing surprise at how much better the game was than people here told them it was. That has nothing to do with price.

I'd respectfully disagree that if people in this thread spent $30 instead of $60, impressions would be way more positive. One of the main critiques appears to be a disappointing amount of content. I think that's pretty directly related to cost and worth.

Along the same lines, it's way easier in six months to say "Oh, hey! Picked this up on sale and it's really good!" if you only spend $20 to $30 on it.

Worth and value directly contribute to a sense of satisfaction or, conversely, disappointment.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member

I'll buy it on the cheap then. ;)

I loved Burnout Paradise having bought it many months after release. If this single player is more of that, I'll give this a shot. The multiplayer will not hook me.

Yes, it was - skewered, that is. Then a) people actually played it and realized that it was the worst demo of all time compared to the final product, and 2) Criterion tweaked it and it became a favorite that people here raved over. People didn't put 50-100 hours into a crap game...
Length is another one: the variating comments:

- I like it being more compact
- I like that it's completeable within 10 hours (SP)
- Disappointed that it's nowhere close to clocking in the 50-100 hours that BP has...

All over the god damn map.

I'd respectfully disagree that if people in this thread spent $30 instead of $60, impressions would be way more positive. One of the main critiques appears to be a disappointing amount of content. I think that's pretty directly related to cost and worth.

Along the same lines, it's way easier in six months to say "Oh, hey! Picked this up on sale and it's really good!" if you only spend $20 to $30 on it.

Worth and value directly contribute to a sense of satisfaction or, conversely, disappointment.

Yeah, maybe I'm a little weird on the whole "value vs price" debate. For me there is literally one criteria for judging a game. Is it fun, and does it continue to stay fun.

For example, I would have paid $60 for Trials Evolution and Joe Danger 2 this year. Luckily I got to pay $15 for each, but that doesn't really change how I feel about them. I still think they're both awesome games. Likewise, my opinion of Most Wanted really isn't shaped by the $44 price I paid. I played it for 5 hours last night, and I had fun the entire time. I saw nothing to indicate that opinion would change in the following 5 or even 10 hours, so therefore, it gets my thumbs up, and will almost certainty be one of my favorite games of the year. :)

Yeah, maybe I'm a little weird on the whole "value vs price" debate. For me there is literally one criteria for judging a game. Is it fun, and does it continue to stay fun.

For example, I would have paid $60 for Trials Evolution and Joe Danger 2 this year. Luckily I got to pay $15 for each, but that doesn't really change how I feel about them. I still think they're both awesome games. Likewise, my opinion of Most Wanted really isn't shaped by the price paid. I played it for 5 hours last night, and I had fun the entire time. I saw nothing to indicate that opinion would change in the following 5 or even 10 hours, so therefore, it gets my thumbs up. :)

I agree with you personally. Just pointing out how I think a lot of people feel about this sort of thing.

Tankshell

Where the hell is the dreamshot/screenshot feature in the new autolog 2.0? I thought they said it would work the same as in Hot Pursuit?

EDIT - this FAQ on the EA site for the game even says you can do it: https://help.ea.com/article/need-for-speed-most-wanted-autolog-2-0-faq

7. Can we take photos or snapshots in-game?
Yes! During gameplay you can take photos quickly as a Snapshot, or take a more detailed Dreamshot which allows for more control. You can even control the privacy of your photo by making it Private or Public.

The Photos pages allow you to view your friends’ galleries, comprising of all publish photos stored online.

vdlow

For example, I would have paid $60 for Trials Evolution and Joe Danger 2 this year. Luckily I got to pay $15 for each, but that doesn't really change how I feel about them. I still think they're both awesome games. Likewise, my opinion of Most Wanted really isn't shaped by the $44 price I paid. I played it for 5 hours last night, and I had fun the entire time. I saw nothing to indicate that opinion would change in the following 5 or even 10 hours, so therefore, it gets my thumbs up, and will almost certainty be one of my favorite games of the year. :)

Great post. I agree with every line that you wrote.

VanWinkle

Posting some longer Vita footage in here just in case people are in here that don't read the Vita game and service thread, and are curious about that particular version. Shows off custom soundtracks, cops, a race, and a lot of crashes.

I peronally think it's the best, clearest footage of the game yet, so it should give you a good idea of it. Also direct feed sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M89vp-zOXww&feature=g-crec-u

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
dark10x said:
The visuals are detailed, though, so it's really a damn shame they couldn't hit native resolution.
Actually now that I just played it - I'm pleasantly surprised. It's looks much sharper than Uncharted, with actual AA (do console versions even have AA in this?) - so the IQ, shadows aside, ends up remarkably clean - that's more than I can say for most urban-open-world games I've seen in last 5 years, particularly the console exclusive ones...

You may see more detail in BO:p PS3 - but it was less clean (and shadows weren't much better either).

One complaint I have is that dynamic shadows are not used at all for time-of-day change :( I hope they can add this in future, having them and then keep sun-static does feel like a giant waste of resources.

mrklaw said:
and the only thing that really takes advantage of it is the fucking bubbles on the home screens. Its more useful for PSP games than actual vita ones.
Oh come now - native games outnumber the others by quite a bit so far, and we've gotten some titles that have bull-shot IQ (King's story), and others where IQ outpaces the parent-console version and cutscenes look like offline rendered (LBP - this looks nice enough tat it left me wondering if slightly soft IQ is result of PPAA - rather than resolution changes).
HD->Vita downports getting subnative at times is not unexpected - it's the PS2 upports getting it that are frustrating to watch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Posting some longer Vita footage in here just in case people are in here that don't read the Vita game and service thread, and are curious about that particular version. Shows off custom soundtracks, cops, a race, and a lot of crashes.

I peronally think it's the best, clearest footage of the game yet, so it should give you a good idea of it. Also direct feed sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M89vp-zOXww&feature=g-crec-u

doesn't let me view it from Germany due to music rights?

(I'm not in Germany but my work IP address seems to be for some reason)

VanWinkle

doesn't let me view it from Germany due to music rights?

(I'm not in Germany but my work IP address seems to be for some reason)

Yeah, I kind of wish I had thought ahead of time about using licensed music. I don't make money off the video so it seems as though it will stay up, but kind of stinks for the region restrictions.

Madouu

I'm wondering if I should get this game but I often have a bit of an issue with the controller I use (logitech cordless Rumblepad 2) and racing games. Steering sensitivity seems to be too high and it is often hard to be precise with your driving in these conditions. Do any of you guys know if there's a steering sensitivity option or if there's any way to change it somehow?

jayb

is there a way to see where your friends are on the big map during online play? they show up in the mini-map, but that's it. so once they get outside of the range of the mini-map you can't tell exactly where they are.

B-Dex

My few criticisms:

- SP seems to lack any focus. It's very muddled. "Get to number one" Then they drop you in and that's that. (Hot Pursuit had more of a narrative with at least little blurbs about each event)

- Upgrades earned in SP mean nothing in MP

- MP seems like a complete separate game. Separate Speed Levels and having to re-unlock things you've already obtained in SP

- Huge milestones for doing stuff in specific cars..but once you're done the 5 races and got 1st in each why bother continuing to use that car? (especially if you're going for trophies. Granted I maxed out my Gallardo with all pro parts so I use it for MW races.)

- I like that repairing re-paints your car. It's a neat effect but just re-states the complete lack of customization.

- Performance and visuals are sub-standard for how poorly it runs and hitches sometimes. (Midnight Club LA looks and runs better [based on PS3 performance/visuals])

Things old MW had this doesn't:
Narrative (But it's a racing game! doesn't fly. Even the new Forza has more of a story than this)
Complete car customization
More race types

Minor Gripe:

- Using EasyDrive the game doesn't pause or anything so trying to restart an event I got busted. And good luck trying to customize your car in MP. Better hope an event isn't starting. (You can also restart from the pause menu but the menu takes a bit to load)

THAT SAID... I'm still enjoying it. But I think it could have been so much more than it turned out to be. Seems they just cared about making multi fun and having "artistic" race intros over everything else.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm wondering if I should get this game but I often have a bit of an issue with the controller I use (logitech cordless Rumblepad 2) and racing games. Steering sensitivity seems to be too high and it is often hard to be precise with your driving in these conditions. Do any of you guys know if there's a steering sensitivity option or if there's any way to change it somehow?

its an arcade racing game, I'd expect you'd be fine.

jyoung188

Surprised at some of the reactions in this thread. I am absolutely loving this game so far (PC), played about 5 hours of single player last night and had a blast. I loved burnout paradise too btw.

antitrop

This game doesn't feel "enough" Burnout out for me, as I'm a huge fan of the franchise. This is actually the first Need For Speed game I've played since the original Need for Speec on PC in the mid 90s.

As a weird half-NFS, half-Burnout game it does kind of work, though. It's good, I would have rather been playing the next Burnout.

VRMN

I got the game yesterday and frankly I absolutely love it. I really enjoyed even just the single player, just getting started and beating the first Most Wanted race, even having fun in the pursuits (which I didn't anticipate).

Then I went into multiplayer. None of my friends had started the game yet, so my speedwall is bare and my options in MP were limited to just getting into a random public match. I've never had much fun doing that in any game.

Until now. Wow. They managed to make Burnout Paradise's MP work even in scenarios where it's not just all your friends. I had an absolute blast. Maybe it's in part because the gameplay style makes it easy to participate in and shrug off general dickery, but in any event, it works.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I am loving this game, not quite sure what the hate is about.

I for one hated Burnout Paradise, while loving 3 and Revenge.
Hmm I also hated BP but absolutely loved Revenge. I put off buying Most Wanted because of the negative impressions here but maybe Im taking them too seriously.

Vita version is amazing.

People is complaining about the sub-HD, jaggies, etc, but is forgetting that is a sandbox game with no loading on routes (and very small on races), and that it has the same content as a late-generation AAA game, only with a few graphical compromises.

Yes, Wipeout 2048 may look better, but it's not a sandbox game with small loadings.

B-Dex

Another thing I just thought of. They said they didn't want to lock any cars behind progress but unless you use a guide you probably aren't gonna find your fav car for a while.

Top Bottom