• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

Razgreez

I don't blame you - I definitely prefer the more arcadey handling found in the Burnout games. It does get better though when you get more cars, they get easier to control.

It's not the arcadey handling. Its not like the handling in these games is realistic. It's just a different type of arcadey. In this game fwd, rwd and awd cars all seem to handle the same the only thing that seems to improve handling is the weight/tier of the car. A front engine rwd car should never handle like a rear engine rwd and yet in this game (and HP) it does. Anyway i'll stop complaining and just get on with the game just find that a bit disappointing. Thought they'd improve it since HP since i'm playing with a wheel and it just isn't gelling right. Back to the pad i go

Duffyside

Banned
This game man, this game.

It's not Burnout Paradise, but I'm having a hard time not putting this into the top 5 racing games of this generation.

Well, driving games have been pretty lousy this gen, so you have a point (excluding Paradise, naturally).

I think this game marks the beginning of the end of Criterion, much like what has happend to other now-EA studios, such as Bioware. Well, maybe the actual moment was when Criterion announced "so, uh, yeah, we're in charge of NFS now! ... Yay?" Or maybe it was Burnout Crash?

Anyway, I'd be curious to know how much the staff has changed in the last five years. I'm wondering if at some point a rule will be made in this thread not to bring up Paradise anymore (but it's in the title so hah!), but I just can't help it; that game is almost five years old now. How could this new one be worse in... every respect? How does that happen?

ManeKast

Yep, when I try to add my PSN id to my Origin account on my PC I get "This Origin ID cannot be associated with your account, because it has been previously linked with a different EA account." What the fuck? The only account my PSN has ever been linked to is my EA account which is now my Origin account.

I got the same thing, seriously, fuck this shit. Makes me all kinds of nervous about how Origin will work 'seamlessly' with Wii U.

On top of this Origin now, when I click add friend, comes up with a non responsive blank box........

Edit: I gave in and just created a new Origin account, then found out my current PlayStation account had a very old email associated with it (tells you this AFTER you create a new account, this email is not necessarily your PSN one) so it would not accept my current PC account, what a headfuck, I am online now with my PSN ID. Playtime!

Razgreez

Well, driving games have been pretty lousy this gen, so you have a point (excluding Paradise, naturally).

I think this game marks the beginning of the end of Criterion, much like what has happend to other now-EA studios, such as Bioware. Well, maybe the actual moment was when Criterion announced "so, uh, yeah, we're in charge of NFS now! ... Yay?" Or maybe it was Burnout Crash?

Anyway, I'd be curious to know how much the staff has changed in the last five years. I'm wondering if at some point a rule will be made in this thread not to bring up Paradise anymore (but it's in the title so hah!), but I just can't help it; that game is almost five years old now. How could this new one be worse in... every respect? How does that happen?

i read your post and didnt want to be so critical of the game since i've only played under an hour of it but yeah, thus far it's definitely worse in every aspect

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Everything is heading towards being a large amorphous blob with a car in the middle. It's almost like they're scared that there isn't a big enough market, so they try and attract everyone with one product and risk alienating a bunch of them.

I'd like some focus for next gen. I'd like a street racer like PGR3/4 without needing to have open world bolted on; a burnout racer more like previous ones - even before BP - tons of traffic, racing without blinking and steering on instinct to avoid oncoming vehicles; and something with cops in.

DonMigs85

Yeah I wouldn't mind something more like Burnout 2 or 3 again. Also, a more linear, contained track should allow them to keep 60FPS and boost the detail levels.
Still, I applaud the effort that went into BP and Driver San Francisco - getting a good looking 60FPS open world driving game is not easy.

Synless

Are the pictures I see in the Vita playstation store representative of the actual game? They look too good imo.

Oersted

Yeah I wouldn't mind something more like Burnout 2 or 3 again. Also, a more linear, contained track should allow them to keep 60FPS and boost the detail levels.
Still, I applaud the effort that went into BP and Driver San Francisco - getting a good looking 60FPS open world driving game is not easy.

Contained tracks plus DLC....

Haunted

I think we had some really solid racing games this generation, actually.

Even the "bad" ones were still pretty good by the usual standards. Shift or Gran Turismo 5 might not be great racers, but they aren't exactly shit, either.

Codemasters has been on a roll with GRID and F1, Split/Second was a surprise hit, of course Burnout Paradise, both of the Most Wanted games and Hot Pursuit on the NFS side, Forza had two good entries this generation, Ridge Racer Unbounded was solid, Project CARS is amazing, rfactor has come a long way during this generation, PGR4, Flatout 2 (not sure if Driver San Francisco counts).

I think it's been pretty good. Then again, I'm not one to churn through these games, really. For me, a good one seemed to come along in regular intervals over the last couple years. :)

Haunted

Also shame on me for forgetting the excellent Wipeout games we've gotten this generation. Sony Liverpool picking up some of the slack there (RIP).

But enough off-topic talk about other games! Sorry everyone.

I think this game is rad.

apesh1t

Banned
Have you guys never played Burnout 4 on the 360? That's basically 60fps with burnout 2/3 style of gameplay. Best in the series if you ask me, but I didn't really like Paradise.

DonMigs85

Have you guys never played Burnout 4 on the 360? That's basically 60fps with burnout 2/3 style of gameplay. Best in the series if you ask me, but I didn't really like Paradise.

The graphics weren't really pushed that far though. Hopefully they try that style again next gen.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I'm constantly underestimating turning circles and car weight in this game. Its lik HP but heavier. Don't really like it.

I am enjoying the game more now im about 10% in.

FUCKING JAGGIES I HATE YOU WHY MUST YOU EXIST IN A PC GAME?!

DonMigs85

I'm constantly underestimating turning circles and car weight in this game. Its lik HP but heavier. Don't really like it.

I am enjoying the game more now im about 10% in.

FUCKING JAGGIES I HATE YOU WHY MUST YOU EXIST IN A PC GAME?!

Not so sure if they're all just jaggies. Could be shimmering artifacts too.

yophlow

Banned
Hmmmm. I need some advice on losing cops. I've only played a few races so far, and picked up a car or two. One of my events is one where I have to lose the cops. However, I just can't do it. I drive fast, I duck down streets, I evade them like a boss. I use the skills I acquired getting gold in every event in Hot Pursuit.

However, they are still always on my tail, all the time. And I don't have spike strips on anything like in HP. Is there some kind of gameplay feature or critical task in losing the cops that I must have missed? There's no way the very first cop event in the game could be this hard otherwise!

saladine1

I'm having a hard time controlling the cars. I don't know, maybe i'm allergic to Criterion's handling model.
I'm at a point where i'm about to give up, just like I did with HP.

On another note, does anyone know if EA has any other dev on the NFS series or is just Criterion?

yophlow

Banned
I'm having a hard time controlling the cars. I don't know, maybe i'm allergic to Criterion's handling model.
I'm at a point where i'm about to give up, just like I did with HP.

On another note, does anyone know if EA has any other dev on the NFS series or is just Criterion?

Drifting is everything. Learn to drift and it will handle like a dream.

I assign the handbrake button to B (360). Basically I deploy by using quick taps, adjusting the drift angle of my car with the stick and further taps of the handbrake if necessary. So important this is to maintain drift angles, this is the ONLY racing game (along with Hot Pursuit) where I play with the view from behind the car. Every other game is bonnet view. When I switched to outside the car in Hot Pursuit and found it much easier to control drifting, it was a revelation.

ManeKast

Criterion; I hope you read this. I love the this game. Just came off a five hour session, completely awesome. Keep up the good work, so much fun.

Played last night with three buddies at my place, oh man I haven't had that much fun with a racing a game in a while. I really like setting up the racing lists and all of us hauling ass to meet up there. Love it

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ran some comparisons between the Vita version and PS3 trial version. They definitely made a lot of sacrifices to get the game up and running on Vita but it's still a pretty good end result.

I just wish they could have engineered some less demanding analogues to certain missing effects. There are no road reflections, no motion blur, no depth of field, no light playing of the road surface, and a reduction in clutter (fewer objects present throughout the city). It's a shame they didn't at least attempt to use some "fake" reflections or a cheaper motion blur effect.

I'd love to read more details on how the Vita version was developed as it is a fascinating port.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ran some comparisons between the Vita version and PS3 trial version. They definitely made a lot of sacrifices to get the game up and running on Vita but it's still a pretty good end result.

I just wish they could have engineered some less demanding analogues to certain missing effects. There are no road reflections, no motion blur, no depth of field, no light playing of the road surface, and a reduction in clutter (fewer objects present throughout the city). It's a shame they didn't at least attempt to use some "fake" reflections or a cheaper motion blur effect.

I'd love to read more details on how the Vita version was developed as it is a fascinating port.

reflections is suprising, you'd think that'd be a fairly cheap effect - not fully reflecting puddles etc, just a sheen.

Smaller overworld, lower framerate... yeah, it comes close ;P

Well, I'm sure you'd know better than Criterion, who say the map in Most Wanted is larger than Paradise. It feels bigger to me. I'm still not sure I've seen all of it, and I've put in about 8 hours so far.

This game man, this game.

I'm having a hard time not putting this among the top racing games of this generation.

I'd put Paradise, GRID and Split/Second solidly above it, but it probably belongs into the tier right below that with all the other big shots. Good shit. That said, would it be any other dev than Criterion I'd be absolutely ecstatic - but it being Criterion and not as good as BP... you can't help but feel a bit more critical about it.

I wanted to like Split/Second so bad but the handling was just broken IMO. The "powerslide" was so messed up it became a penalty to try and use or because it slowed you down so much.

That and the rubberband AI fell into the unfortunate trap of being evil difficult later on.

In the end that was why I skipped the Vita version. I wasn't sure it would hold my interest knowing I've got a much better looking version to play on a console.

Started the vita version ..
it's technically impressive ..as a open world game it's almost perfect ..sure it'll never be on par with the pc/ps3/360 version but damn well if this isn't great..

However ...it sure take time to get used of using the analog stick.. i wish i could use the directional pad instead ..

dark10x

reflections is suprising, you'd think that'd be a fairly cheap effect - not fully reflecting puddles etc, just a sheen.
It seems to me that one of the main priorities here was simply keeping all versions in line. If an effect couldn't be achieved they simply chopped it rather than looking for a replacement.

dark10x

Yeah I wish there was an option that would allow you to use the right analog for easydrive and then use the dpad for steering.
I've become used to that but I hate hate HATE the fact that you can change music tracks using the rear pad. That option needs to disappear.

played MP again last night for a couple hours, had a really good time again although i do have one complaint that keeps driving me crazy! I cant stand how easy it is to crash when you hit traffic, I mean sometimes I barely hit it or im going really slow and I still crash, they really should consider patching that. Other then that the game is a blast

Still trying to decide on the best mods for my car, im starting to think the impact ones or whatever helps you from getting taken down as easy might be best, people where going crazy with take downs last night and even when i though i had the edge i would lose most of the time. im still working on unlocking the mods that might help with that, do any of you that have those notice a difference?

I got the same thing, seriously, fuck this shit. Makes me all kinds of nervous about how Origin will work 'seamlessly' with Wii U.

On top of this Origin now, when I click add friend, comes up with a non responsive blank box........

Edit: I gave in and just created a new Origin account, then found out my current PlayStation account had a very old email associated with it (tells you this AFTER you create a new account, this email is not necessarily your PSN one) so it would not accept my current PC account, what a headfuck, I am online now with my PSN ID. Playtime!

I've had a similar glitch on the 360 version. When I got to the menu page where it recommends friends, I've attempted to click on the recommended profiles and it brings up the gamertag entry field and keyboard, instead of the friend request it should have.

scitek

I'm about 5 hours into it now and still waiting for the fun to start. I'm one of the apparent few that thought Hot Pursuit was the first utterly average game Criterion's made. I'd say this is the second, but I'll give it a little longer.

RossCo

Neo Member
Man, as a long time Criterion racing game fan I have one main impression:

What the hell happened to the frame rate? Criterion used to be the kings of this. I know they had a lot of people leave, did they lose some low level graphics programmer talent?

So weird. Bought the game yesterday. Wanted to return it after 1 hour. Two hours in, i was completely hooked. Can't wait to play some more tonight. Haven't had that feeling for a game in a while now.

World feels pretty big by the way.. It must be the size of BP at the very least.

So weird. Bought the game yesterday. Wanted to return it after 1 hour. Two hours in, i was completely hooked. Can't wait to play some more tonight. Haven't had that feeling for a game in a while now.

World feels pretty big by the way.. It must be the size of BP at the very least.

It's funny. There are lots of people in this thread saying it "feels small", but Criterion have said it's bigger than Paradise.

It definitely feels bigger than Paradise to me. In fact, even 8 hours into the game it still feels a little overwhelming to me. I really don't know the map at all.

darkwing

on the Vita, the world feels extra huge, amazing they can fit the game in

I didn't know you use the rearpad to change the music lol

Gacha-pin

keep disconnecting from the game mostly during the interval between challenge or race :(
Anyway, I guess challenges in MW are harder to figure out what to do than in Burnout Paradise? In the last game I joined, there were bunch of dudes just to takedown each other at (near) the challenge point but they didn't seem not to contribute to the game.

Top Bottom