• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

It's funny. There are lots of people in this thread saying it "feels small", but Criterion have said it's bigger than Paradise.

It definitely feels bigger than Paradise to me. In fact, even 8 hours into the game it still feels a little overwhelming to me. I really don't know the map at all.

It's probably bigger in terms of area, but it seems to have less roads. It seems more sparse small zones, connected with highway, without any main dense area with a lot of streets and crossroads as Paradise.

It's funny. There are lots of people in this thread saying it "feels small", but Criterion have said it's bigger than Paradise.

It definitely feels bigger than Paradise to me. In fact, even 8 hours into the game it still feels a little overwhelming to me. I really don't know the map at all.

yeah i've heard a lot of "the world is a lot smaller than BP". But i don't think this is the case at all. Maybe BP had a couple of areas that had more open space. perhaps that makes it feel bigger?

peetfeet

How do i change the soundtrack? i go into settings - audio - and down to Game Sountrack and i can't change... is it an unlock?

Mairu

This game man, this game.

I'm having a hard time not putting this among the top racing games of this generation.

I'd put Paradise, GRID and Split/Second solidly above it, but it probably belongs into the tier right below that with all the other big shots. Good shit. That said, would it be any other dev than Criterion I'd be absolutely ecstatic - but it being Criterion and not as good as BP... you can't help but feel a bit more critical about it.

You get this on PC? Add me on Origin :O

I'm feeling a little lost after beating the #1 Most Wanted. I'm currently working my way through each race with each car, but after climbing the Most Wanted ladder (which was pretty underwhelming in itself) I don't feel very compelled to play a lot of singleplayer anymore.

bs000

Downloaded the PSPlus demo last night, game is pretty fun...

Wasn't digging the road design (vastly prefer Paradise) or the car selection, but at least the driving wasn't crap. Also, for some reason the screen wasn't filling my tv fully but instead was off to the right by half an inch.

Also, do you ever unlock a better way to swap cars or do you have to drive to the car you want each time?

Not sure if this was answered, but hit right on the dpad to open easy drive and choose "change car" and you can jump straight to it.

About to add a bunch of PS3 users in the eastern time zone so we can hopefully play some online together.

A some patrons of GAF added me recently and then Autolog started tracking things... wow... it tracks everything. It's really cool.

lunchtoast

I suck at this game. Can't even beat the easy races. The visibility is bad it's hard to see where I'm going and the sun and tunnel exits don't help either. Other than that it's alright. More fun to just drive around than race.

About to add a bunch of PS3 users in the eastern time zone so we can hopefully play some online together.

A some patrons of GAF added me recently and then Autolog started tracking things... wow... it tracks everything. It's really cool.

I'm east coast.

I really hope this game has an active online community for a long time on the PS3. This is the most fun I've had messing around with cars in a game. The multiplayer is so fun it's almost stupid that we don't have more games like this.

You know when you play online in a racing game and it breaks down to people just being dicks and wanting to hit you straight on? It's like this game makes that type of behavior acceptable the way challenges are setup. You fight against people being total assholes, and it makes it all the MORE fun. Such a great game.

Criterion nailed this thing. The only thing that would've been nice is a little more time in the oven to get the framerate even more stable. So far I have experienced VERY little framerate issues (meaning that get in the way of gameplay). No it isn't 60fps solid but it doesn't feel choppy to me at all.

I am looking forward to the community thread when it pops up. I'd love to get in on some regular GAF sessions.

I decided to track down the quote from Criterion regarding the city size in Most Wanted.

Criterion said:
For comparison, in area terms we are slightly bigger than Paradise. We're smaller than Hot Pursuit but Hot Pursuit was big long roads that take up a lot of space.

[There's] way more gameplay in this one. It's more than just a road network. I think we're two or three times the road network length that we were in Paradise, but it's way more open than it's ever been before.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/n...ering_nfs_most_wanted_map_size_and_30fps.html

So hopefully we can put that silly complaint to bed once and for all.

B-Dex

I think the reason people are saying it feels smaller is, imo, because I keep getting directed to the same parts of the city for events etc... I remember I went back and forth over the same bridge about 10 times.

Himself

When i played the 60 minute trial I don't think I saw the same part of the city more than once, with a couple exceptions. Plus the circuits that the actual races take place on feel more interesting to me than BP, meaning more ups and downs, varied turns and curves, etc.

Game could use some tweaks, but it kicks ass for sure.

I decided to track down the quote from Criterion regarding the city size in Most Wanted.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/n...ering_nfs_most_wanted_map_size_and_30fps.html

So hopefully we can put that silly complaint to bed once and for all.

Cool. After dinner I"ll go and get this, probably Vita first ... Also had to laugh:

Is Kinect support restricted to voice commands?

MW: Yes, it is.

And PlayStation Move?

MW: Ah, yes. Where is that funky thing? [Looks around booth]. Here we go, look at this. Check this out! [Pulls out PlayStation Move Racing Wheel] So, yeah, you can drive it like that. It's interesting. If you're in a cop chase we'll flash this red and blue [points to PlayStation Move light], and when you're in cooldown it'll go blue, and if you're in free drive it'll go green. It's a bit of fun.

I'm hearing decent things about that weird controller. Don't know if it's for me, but it certainly seems fun.

I was cringing while listening to Gerstmann in the latest Bombcast spewing garbage about the single player in this game. I couldn’t disagree more with his opinion. Luckily, the knowledge that he has terrible taste in almost everything salves most of my irritation.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just got the PS3 version, and I want to set up an autolog for my son (11) so we can compare times etc. but if I log into his PSN sub-account and try and create one, it says he isn't old enough.

Any way around this? Could I create one on the web and attach it somehow? Any way to edit his PSN account?

So if I get the Vita version, will I be able to login with my Origin info or not? I've heard conflicting things on this. Some people saying it only offered them the option to create a new account.

I was cringing while listening to Gerstmann in the latest Bombcast spewing garbage about the single player in this game. I couldn’t disagree more with his opinion. Luckily, the knowledge that he has terrible taste in almost everything salves most of my irritation.

I felt the same way. I generally like Gerstmann, but sometimes he becomes very binary about a game, at least in the way he talks about it on podcasts or Quick Look videos. Like he is very negative or very positive. He doesn't give much middle ground.

In the case of Most Wanted he gave the game a 4 out of 5, but the way he talks about it you'd think he gave it a 3 out of 5 at best.

Also funny was when he was asked whether he recommends Forza Horizon or Most Wanted, he acknowledged he'd probably end up playing more of Most Wanted, but Forza "had a better single player". He scored Forza a 5 out of 5, so........Forza is the better game, but he'll end up playing more of Most Wanted?

OmegaZero

So if I get the Vita version, will I be able to login with my Origin info or not? I've heard conflicting things on this. Some people saying it only offered them the option to create a new account.

I'm hopefully going to test this today.
I bought the retail version, but realised that this would be a great digital game for my Vita.
So I bought the digital version, gave the retail copy away and deleted my retail bubble.

It should have finished downloading, so I'll see if my Origin account works or not when I get home in a hour or so.

I'm hopefully going to test this today.
I bought the retail version, but realised that this would be a great digital game for my Vita.
So I bought the digital version, gave the retail copy away and deleted my retail bubble.

It should have finished downloading, so I'll see if my Origin account works or not when I get home in a hour or so.

The complicating factor for me is this.

Long ago I logged into an EA game on my Xbox and it forced me into giving them an email address. So I did. Then a while later I logged into an EA game on my PS3, and it wouldn't allow me to enter that same email address, because it said that email already belonged to another account.

So I got Most Wanted on my 360, so my Speed Points are tied to that Origin account under that email address. I'm afraid if I log into Most Wanted on Vita, under my PSN ID, it's going to file my speed points under that other email/Origin account. Stupid Origin shit. :/

Skyzard

Banned
NFS vitabros - how is the popup for the traffic cars - not many annoying crashes due to it I hope? Looking to buy this in about 5 hours digital too (will be playing this for a while).

i've played the game more ( VITA ) and i'm extremly disapointed now

my initial impressions were good ..but how i wish i could change some boutons ..

cross is so close to the right analog on vita that sometimes you might want to use intro and then your camera moves ..
and the vita analog is not suited for the precision this game need when you're trying to avoid trafic at high speed ..

LET ME change my controls CRITERION !!!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
i've played the game more ( VITA ) and i'm extremly disapointed now

my initial impressions were good ..but how i wish i could change some boutons ..

cross is so close to the right analog on vita that sometimes you might want to use intro and then your camera moves ..
and the vita analog is not suited for the precision this game need when you're trying to avoid trafic at high speed ..

LET ME change my controls CRITERION !!!

My only real complaint really but I'm used to it. Still really good for a hand held.

dsigns1

I was able to log in to my Origin account that was created in 2008. You may need to tie it to your psn account on the Origin website.

darkwing

NFS vitabros - how is the popup for the traffic cars - not many annoying crashes due to it I hope? Looking to buy this in about 5 hours digital too (will be playing this for a while).

hmm don't really have a problem with this, could see the other car's light from a distance

Synless

Picked up my copy for the Vita over AC:Liberation. I loved Paradise so much that if this is even half that game I won't be disappointed.

Played it tonight ( at a shop ). Game looks good enough but the framerate ( 360 ) wasn't that good....tbh even worse that I thougth it would be. Could not try the PS3 version. Still no word on which version has a better framerate?

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
I was only able to play for about 20 minutes today (going out), but holy hell, this game is awesome! Playing on Vita.

Hzoltan69

I'm constantly underestimating turning circles and car weight in this game. Its lik HP but heavier. Don't really like it.

I am enjoying the game more now im about 10% in.

FUCKING JAGGIES I HATE YOU WHY MUST YOU EXIST IN A PC GAME?!

Use downsampling. Next to zero performance loss in this game and clears up jaggies nicely.

Played it tonight ( at a shop ). Game looks good enough but the framerate ( 360 ) wasn't that good....tbh even worse that I thougth it would be. Could not try the PS3 version. Still no word on which version has a better framerate?

No, other than the fact that we've had people with the PS3 version say they had framerate problems too. Seeing as how Criterion's engine has always looked and performed so similarly across platforms, I think they're probably very similar here.

With that said, I think we'll see Digital Foundry do their thing tomorrow or Friday, and then we'll know for certain.

kuroshiki

It's basically like an super brake to help you around extremely tight corners. Some races have 90 degree turns that require you to slam on that button to quickly flip through the turn.

So instead of regular break, press and release hand brake will give me tighter cornering?

No, other than the fact that we've had people with the PS3 version say they had framerate problems too. Seeing as how Criterion's engine has always looked and performed so similarly across platforms, I think they're probably very similar here.

With that said, I think we'll see Digital Foundry do their thing tomorrow or Friday, and then we'll know for certain.

Will wait for DF than :D I hope they are similar though, because I have more 'autolog friends' on XBL. Are there any rewards when you fire up the game for the first time ( like in Hot Pursuit you received some free cars ).

I don't always agree with him, but I do on this one. The single player is lackluster. Not bad, but not great either. I can't help but think if this were an actual Burnout title, it wouldn't have some of the problems this game has. (Weak crashes, too much of the police BS, a short campaign, only a few race events per car, etc.)

So instead of regular break, press and release hand brake will give me tighter cornering?

No, it's not a good idea to use that break for any old turn. Think of it as the "extreme break", where you have no choice but to press this button because I need to stop immediately and turn very sharply. It's also a good "turn around" button, as you slam that button, and turn sharply, you'll spin around so you can head another direction.

Will wait for DF than :D I hope they are similar though, because I have more 'autolog friends' on XBL. Are there any rewards when you fire up the game for the first time ( like in Hot Pursuit you received some free cars ).

The game comes with a "limited edition pass", which supposedly give you more cars or something. I don't think there was anything beyond that.

I don't always agree with him, but I do on this one. The single player is lackluster. Not bad, but not great either. I can't help but think if this were an actual Burnout title, it wouldn't have some of the problems this game has. (Weak crashes, too much of the police BS, a short campaign, only a few race events per car, etc.)

My biggest issue with this game is definitely the lack of events per car. If I really love a certain car I'd like to have more events to do in it. As it stands the only options are the 5 racers per car, and then the 10 most wanted races, which are pretty awesome, but still, ideally I'd like to have at least 10 races for each car. Most Wanted races are cool, but they're only one on one battles.

Top Bottom