• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

Tried the Full Game Trial while waiting for my copy to arrive tomorrow (Sandy, you suck),
I had so much fun despite some gameplay drawbacks. I didn't realize how much I would miss the cops and weapons from Hot Pursuit and the camera features. Haven't had a chance to play Multiplayer yet but I can't wait.

I picked up the Vita version with Target's Buy 2 get 1 free deal.

I had originally planned on getting it all along, but the closer we got to release, and the more I saw of it the less excited I became. I do appreciate Criterion's effort to make this port in house, and I'm going out of town next weekend, so I felt like picking it up regardless of my concerns.

My feelings after playing it for an hour are mixed. On the one hand it feels and behaves very similarly to the console versions, which is great. On the other, the graphical downgrades required to get it on the Vita and running pretty smoothly are instantly noticeable, and even hurt the gameplay experience to a degree.

The decreased detail in distant objects can occasionally mess with turns and other obstacles when moving at very high speeds. This isn't game breaking, but it can make some things a little more challenging.

The other thing I noticed was that the Vita's shoulder buttons are not analog, which means you lose the finesse you have on the big boy controllers, where you can give it just a little brake heading into a turn. Again, this isn't game breaking either, but it does have a tangible negative effect on the gameplay experience.

So you've got compromised graphics, and even slightly compromised gameplay.

However, it's still a fun game on the Vita, and it is the entire game. So if you're looking for a Vita racer, look no further. This is solid work by Criterion.

Wonko_C

Hey, on the Vita version, can you use the X button for acceleration?
Unfortunately, no. You're stuck with L and R, which is pointless because they aren't analog. I feel like I'm going to wear them out by playing this game. They don't feel as sturdy as face buttons.

DonMigs85

I've discovered more weird bugs in the PS3 version - one time I tried bringing up Easy Drive but the actual menu didn't come up (you could still hear the sound effects) and after that pressing start to pause caused the game to freeze. Luckily I could still access the XMB to quit.

mandiller

I'm really enjoying the Vita version. It's awesome to think that the whole console game (almost) has made the transition to a handheld. I've played a bunch of events and some online games so far and I'm having a blast. The frame rate while online went down pretty low, but other than that it's a really impressive handheld game.

I took some pictures of the game and put them into a gallery if you want to take a look.

Here's a sample (I resized the images a little to give a truer idea of the screen size of the Vita):

l6JJ5.jpg

iq4Ve.jpg

IROmR.jpg

D3po8.jpg

Add me on PSN if you want more autolog action - PSN ID: mandiller

PC version looks good
iGml6wFtg8Qx9.gif

and is fun as balls. In the red Bugatti, my HUD glitched and disappeared, I could play but couldn't move after crashing.
ibzqHCcSqVwX89.gif
ibuV4a5JgEHLEr.gif

DonMigs85

I reported the Easy Drive/Pausing bug I got (as well as the glitching grey polygons) to the official NFS page on Facebook, and they responded. Hopefully they look into this.

Synless

After getting over the initial shock that this game is no where near close to its console counterpart in terms of graphics, I am enjoying it much more. The game is clearly based off BP and plays great. After I checked myself about how it looks I pretty impressed with it being on my handheld. I am looking forward to criterions next effort on Vita (if it lives that long) and I recommend this game to anyone on the fence.

red731

I know this will sound weird, but I could recognize some locations, albeit little different, from Burnout Revenge -
like that bridge where you can drive down in the middle, pass the crash pillars in the middle and up again.

Would really like the option to turn the HUD off or any element of the hud.
I would like to just drive at breakneck speed on the highways with no distractions.
When the cops would chase me, only the map would be shown, so I know the radius of heat and where to hide. Bam. No cops, automatically no map.

Can't wait to get home and play more.

Here's hoping that they will patch it really good in the future.

Solal

Can someone tell me if the PS3 version is compatible with a wheel please? Specically the Thrustmaster T500RS....

Tx.

I felt like I was pretty good at Hot Pursuit, but I'm not good at this. I keep returning to the starting Porsche, because I can't win the races to get mods for the other cars I'm trying. It's a lot of the shit from earlier Burnout games (Paradise not so much) where everything about trying to drive through a city is fucking me up. I actually don't mind the cops though. I guess if I was really intent on getting to my destination or whatever, it'd be annoying, but I'm always glad to take up the challenge.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm finding it a bit annoying have to win race with every car just to get even basic nitrous. And I'm not a fan of muscle cars, so I don't want to drive those, but am I forced to because of the race structure? I noticed that some races overlap and are available to more throne car, so maybe there is a route through all races with only needing a subset of the cars.

Did anyone get random car unlocks on PS3? I found a jaguar, and the 'easy' menu (bloody annoying menu if you ask me), tells me I have new cars. I look at it and suddenly I have a Bentley and corvette that I've never come across

DonMigs85

I'm finding it a bit annoying have to win race with every car just to get even basic nitrous. And I'm not a fan of muscle cars, so I don't want to drive those, but am I forced to because of the race structure? I noticed that some races overlap and are available to more throne car, so maybe there is a route through all races with only needing a subset of the cars.

Did anyone get random car unlocks on PS3? I found a jaguar, and the 'easy' menu (bloody annoying menu if you ask me), tells me I have new cars. I look at it and suddenly I have a Bentley and corvette that I've never come across

I came across the Corvette but not the Bentley, but I have it too. Maybe we passed one and just didn't notice?

Fuuuk, so i finally bought a game that i can't wait to play, guess what happended when i came home from work to play it? My GF suddenly came to the bright idea to pick up gaming too again... Fuuuuk, she was playing PixelJunkMonsters while i was browsing Gaf all evening. Reading how much fun people were having with this game. Fucking emancipation bullshit. Next time imma gonna bitchslap her off the couch!
nah, i like it when she plays a game and enjoys it :). but i really wanted to play.. didn't tell her though. She was pretty in to the game..

DonMigs85

Fuuuk, so i finally bought a game that i can't wait to play, guess what happended when i came home from work to play it? My GF suddenly came to the bright idea to pick up gaming too again... Fuuuuk, she was playing PixelJunkMonsters while i was browsing Gaf all evening. Reading how much fun people were having with this game. Fucking emancipation bullshit. Next time imma gonna bitchslap her off the couch!
nah, i like it when she plays a game and enjoys it :). but i really wanted to play.. didn't tell her though. She was pretty in to the game..

Buy her PJ Monsters on PSP to get her off the console.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Don't you have a vita? Either play NFS on that, or get your GF to play pixel junk on it.

Sometimes I notice slowdown in pre-race cutscenes and when lots of cop cars are around like a huge roadblock with all rhinos and 4-5 chasing but otherwise haven't noticed any other times.

Also those 360 screens... why didn't they adjust the overscan?

Fine. Occasional hitch when I go over certain areas, eg one particular bridge, but generally smooth.

It's okay, but there are occasional hiccups and I've noticed some streaming issues, too.

Thanks guys. Ordered the PS3 version :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got my copy.

The cars handle like jetskis.

:/

It feels like your battling waves. Incredibly twitchy and wobbly handling.

I really liked the (entirely unrealistic) way the very first car you get - the Aston Martin - drifts around the wide bends. Gave me a Ridge Racer kind of feel, very easy to tweak the slide as you go.

Some of the Ambush events are driving me nuts. The cops can be really fucking obnoxious. I wish I could use some of the gadgets from Hot Pursuit.

Some of the Ambush events are driving me nuts. The cops can be really fucking obnoxious. I wish I could use some of the gadgets from Hot Pursuit.

Remember, billboards, gas stations, swapping cars, they're all helpful in evading. Also, shutting off your engine if possible, by clicking the left stick.

Remember, billboards, gas stations, swapping cars, they're all helpful in evading. Also, shutting off your engine if possible, by clicking the left stick.
Yep, I know. What bothers me is that I sometimes just can't shake them off to even reach the cooldown phase. They also always conveniently spawn a cop car in front of me to fuck with me even more. :I

The Chef

I picked up the Vita version with Target's Buy 2 get 1 free deal.
My feelings after playing it for an hour are mixed. On the one hand it feels and behaves very similarly to the console versions, which is great. On the other, the graphical downgrades required to get it on the Vita and running pretty smoothly are instantly noticeable, and even hurt the gameplay experience to a degree.

The decreased detail in distant objects can occasionally mess with turns and other obstacles when moving at very high speeds. This isn't game breaking, but it can make some things a little more challenging.

The other thing I noticed was that the Vita's shoulder buttons are not analog, which means you lose the finesse you have on the big boy controllers, where you can give it just a little brake heading into a turn. Again, this isn't game breaking either, but it does have a tangible negative effect on the gameplay experience.

So you've got compromised graphics, and even slightly compromised gameplay.

However, it's still a fun game on the Vita, and it is the entire game. So if you're looking for a Vita racer, look no further. This is solid work by Criterion.

I could not have said it better myself. I have been playing for about an hour as well and I just have to say that I am more than a little disappointed.

The graphics on Vita are really not great at all. Buildings have virtually no textures and the lack of of traffic on the road makes me feel like I am driving in a big ghost town maze with some colored boxes spread all over.

This completely takes away from the gaming experience. Races are difficult because I have a very hard time seeing ahead. There are no on display arrows or anything to tell you when to make a sharp right turn.

I did a race that was way too difficult for my current car it seemed. So I had to drive around for a bit to find something new. Again, on a console this would be fun and rewarding. Just like you could just drive for hours in BP and just have fun! This is not the case on Vita. I can't stress enough how empty it feels. You are completely alone in this bland lifeless world.

Simply put. I don't find the Vita version to be good at all and I have zero desire to play it anymore. It would be a foolish choice to purchase this game for anything other than console. I think I'll try and sell my vita copy and get it for ps3.

I came across the Corvette but not the Bentley, but I have it too. Maybe we passed one and just didn't notice?

wait, u dont need to hit the Y button and go to the car to get it in your available cars? just driving up to it works? that would make me happy, im loving the MP so i havnt done much SP but i hate when i find a car and switch to it, then want to go back to the car im driving and i have to start back at the jack spot

wait, u dont need to hit the Y button and go to the car to get it in your available cars? just driving up to it works? that would make me happy, im loving the MP so i havnt done much SP but i hate when i find a car and switch to it, then want to go back to the car im driving and i have to start back at the jack spot

Yes, just discovering the jackspot means you can use that car whenever you want. If the icon pops up on your screen to get into that car, you now "own it". No need to get into it right then.

Can someone tell me if the PS3 version is compatible with a wheel please? Specically the Thrustmaster T500RS....

Tx.

The game works with the Logitech G27 but it's absolute shit. The wheel has no feel at mid-high speed, it's like the wheel isn't plugged in and it's very twitchy. The configuration screen also won't let me put the handbrake on the gear shifter.

Fix this shit, Criterion. And please add dashboard cams for all cars, thanks!

I haven't really been keeping tabs on the reviews and fan response for this game, so I've got to ask now that people are playing it: for someone who loved all the Burnout games except Paradise (never played Crash!), is this game worth getting? I didn't like Paradise because of it's small open-world setting, because it was too easy, because I hated having to navigate the city during races instead of just being told where to go and because it's license upgrade system made the game dreadfully repetitive for me. Does Most Wanted fall into those same problems? I guess it's worth mentioning that I loved Criterion's Hot Pursuit.

I haven't really been keeping tabs on the reviews and fan response for this game, so I've got to ask now that people are playing it: for someone who loved all the Burnout games except Paradise (never played Crash!), is this game worth getting? I didn't like Paradise because of it's small open-world setting, because it was too easy, because I hated having to navigate the city during races instead of just being told where to go and because it's license upgrade system made the game dreadfully repetitive for me. Does Most Wanted fall into those same problems? I guess it's worth mentioning that I loved Criterion's Hot Pursuit.

If you don't like open world games like Paradise, you're not going to like this much better.

red731

I haven't really been keeping tabs on the reviews and fan response for this game, so I've got to ask now that people are playing it: for someone who loved all the Burnout games except Paradise......

The frustrating problem with Paradise races is gone - game is telling you where to go, so you won't crash on every intersetion.

License plate system..well, now you can find any car, drive it right away, but you are kinda doing the same events with every car, so there.

Multiplayer is where it's at - even if you aren't in MP with other people, you can beat your friends times and so on.

Solal

The game works with the Logitech G27 but it's absolute shit. The wheel has no feel at mid-high speed, it's like the wheel isn't plugged in and it's very twitchy. The configuration screen also won't let me put the handbrake on the gear shifter.

Fix this shit, Criterion. And please add dashboard cams for all cars, thanks!

Tx mate... It was already like this with the previous opus. :-(

I picked this up last night and absolutely love it so far. It's such a blast to play. The last racing game that I truly loved was Hot Pursuit, and this is a bigger, much more refined version of that. I even called some friends to make sure they get it!

The only small issue I have is that being able to switch cars on the fly sort of removes you from the world and reminds you that you're playing a video game, much more so than necessary. I would have personally preferred to just drive into a garage or shop and switch cars there. A very small quibble that doesn't affect anything, but worth mentioning.

I can't wait to get home tonight and play!

If you don't like open world games like Paradise, you're not going to like this much better.

It's not that I dislike open world games, I just didn't like Paradise's titchy setting where you as the player saw all that there was to see within the first hour of play. That's where the repetition issue becomes apparent again.

The frustrating problem with Paradise races is gone - game is telling you where to go, so you won't crash on every intersetion.

License plate system..well, now you can find any car, drive it right away, but you are kinda doing the same events with every car, so there.

Multiplayer is where it's at - even if you aren't in MP with other people, you can beat your friends times and so on.

Awww geez, that's not what I wanted to hear. That's what I hated most about Paradise: doing the same races over and over as a means of progressing through the game. Thanks for the info anyway.

goonergaz

It's not that I dislike open world games, I just didn't like Paradise's titchy setting where you as the player saw all that there was to see within the first hour of play. That's where the repetition issue becomes apparent again.

if anything this place seems smaller...not that I had any issues with the size of Paradise City

goonergaz

I could not have said it better myself. I have been playing for about an hour as well and I just have to say that I am more than a little disappointed.

snip

Simply put. I don't find the Vita version to be good at all and I have zero desire to play it anymore. It would be a foolish choice to purchase this game for anything other than console. I think I'll try and sell my vita copy and get it for ps3.

well he never said that, he said:
"However, it's still a fun game on the Vita, and it is the entire game. So if you're looking for a Vita racer, look no further. This is solid work by Criterion."

this is worrying, tho - more Vita impressions would be appreciated

I certainly didn't feel like I saw all Paradise had to offer after an hour. Not even close.

if anything this place seems smaller...not that I had any issues with the size of Paradise City

The city is larger than Paradise.

well he never said that, he said:
"However, it's still a fun game on the Vita, and it is the entire game. So if you're looking for a Vita racer, look no further. This is solid work by Criterion."

this is worrying, tho - more Vita impressions would be appreciated

It's really this simple. The Vita version looks rather unpleasant when compared with the console/PC versions. If you can get over that graphical downgrade though, what's there is still a great game.

Its sounds like The Chef just couldn't accept that downgrade, and I certainly understand people who have that reaction. I would certainly choose to play the console versions over the Vita version, but if I'm on the go, I'll be happy to have the Vita version around.

Top Bottom