• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

Seriously, how do I lose the cops? I drive as fast as I can, top speed and nitrous, ducking down side roads, doing everything physically possible and the cops are on my tail. As soon as I enter cooldown, another cop appears on the road in front of me. Am I doing something wrong?

I find that for some events you just need a bit luck that makes the cops screw up. Like them getting stuck in their own roadblock or not quite making a tight turn or something. And of course you better hope no cop car suddenly spawns in front of you.
Aside from that it really seems like the cops can mostly keep up speed-wise and their aggressive AI has no problems reacting to sudden turns you make. I definitely thought it was a bit frustrating and unfair, because there are many variables you simply can't influence and you just have to deal with and try to make the best of it.

Anyone know why I would go to sleep with 500k SP, and then wake up with 900k SP?

tumblr_mc6pgbPWf81reby8oo1_400.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Enter Cooldown and then find an alley. Park there and then hit L3 to kill your engine. It'll make your heat drop like a rock. Some times you're even able to just stop right out in the open with your engine off and you'll escape from them.

Is there a way to do this on vita?

yophlow

Banned
I find that for some events you just need a bit luck that makes the cops screw up. Like them getting stuck in their own roadblock or not quite making a tight turn or something. And of course you better hope no cop car suddenly spawns in front of you.
Aside from that it really seems like the cops can mostly keep up speed-wise and their aggressive AI has no problems reacting to sudden turns you make. I definitely thought it was a bit frustrating and unfair, because there are many variables you simply can't influence and you just have to deal with and try to make the best of it.

Thanks, that sort of worked :) Took about 20 tries, until finally when I entered cooldown a cop didn't spawn in front of me!

Next question - is there some kind of overall list of races/events? It seems events are car specific, but then I notice when i switch cars there are races with the same name. If so, how do I know which car would be the best for setting good times? It seems to be pretty random. Is the idea to play all the "upgrade" events for every car first?

AcridMeat

Banned
Thanks, that sort of worked :) Took about 20 tries, until finally when I entered cooldown a cop didn't spawn in front of me!

Next question - is there some kind of overall list of races/events? It seems events are car specific, but then I notice when i switch cars there are races with the same name. If so, how do I know which car would be the best for setting good times? It seems to be pretty random. Is the idea to play all the "upgrade" events for every car first?
No overall list. The only events in the game are the most wanted races and the car specific challenges/races. There are some that repeat between the cars. While that means you can instantly spawn into that race with the new car, it also means you need to beat it with that car to get the upgrade again.

I really like the online, how the game plays when cops aren't involved in general. I do wish the upgrades did more, some are so miniscule.

OneLetter

Added myself to the gaf list, since I'm always looking for a little more competition. Sitting on about 1.5MM speedpoints already.

Was able to find all the jack spots on 360 and PC last night, now just working on the gates and billboards, then getting through all of the SP missions to earn the re-inflatable tires on all the cars.

Down for MP on either of those systems, but my 360 friends list is pretty full.

Skyzard

Banned
Really, really, really enjoying the vita version - just one thing I noticed right now - I'm driving in an audi r8 at night, driving near the most west road there is, along the train tracks .... my headlights..shrink the sides of the train tracks :S Like as I'm driving along...strange!

Would have been nice for a larger map to show if you tap the minimap too...but apart from that, no issues.

f0rk

The multiplayer UI / notifications is quite poorly put together imo, it can be hard to understand if you've taken anybody out after you crash and the amount of time spent with no UI is confusing and annoying. The crash cam never really shows anything interesting either so it becomes a bit of a chore.

matmanx1

well he never said that, he said:
"However, it's still a fun game on the Vita, and it is the entire game. So if you're looking for a Vita racer, look no further. This is solid work by Criterion."

this is worrying, tho - more Vita impressions would be appreciated

To me, the Vita version is great. It's the whole game for $40 and for a handheld game that I can play anywhere it looks and sounds very good. I'm having a blast with it.

Yes, there are graphical downgrades from the console versions but the Vita version still has a nice, long draw distance, a great sense of speed and the cars are rendered well enough that you still get the feeling of tearing around in an awesome set of wheels. It's exactly what I wanted.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Oh man, i have the vita version, it's so good. It's a dream come true, i always wanted a portable burnout paradise (lol), now gimme a portable fallout and i'll be very happy.

Technical talk: there are occasional dropped frames and hitching in the 360 version, but to be perfectly blunt unless you're extremely OCD about frame rates then you probably won't be bothered by it. And to be frank if you're OCD about frame rates you would probably have decided to give this a miss when they announced it was going to be 30FPS.

That said, slightly concerned at how quickly I'm getting SP. Bought it today and already cracked the 400k mark.

The frequent autolog disconnects make multiplayer pretty well unplayable (PS3). Back to single player I guess.

Just got done playing with you

Anyways, something funny was happening with Autolog, when I was in single player, it would disconnect every couple of minutes, but when I entered multiplayer, despite an autolog disconnect, I didn't get kicked out and kept playing.

cyborg009

Banned
Oh man, i have the vita version, it's so good. It's a dream come true, i always wanted a portable burnout paradise (lol), now gimme a portable fallout and i'll be very happy.

Thanks to a gaffer I just got the game for the Vita and its amazing. The screens really didn't do it justice.

It really is perplexing that they only offer 5 races per car. It almost makes me wonder if something more was planned initially.

This is the real problem of the game. You do all the races of a car, so you upgrade it to the max... to do nothing. There are only 10 races (a few more on Vita) where you can use any car.

I would prefer less "parked cars", and a huge list of 40 events to be fulfilled with any of the cars, instead of the current progression. Or make ALL the races non-car limited (or group limited, like Midnight Club or similars) and buy the upgrades with speed points or with special achievements (miles driven, races won, cars toke down, etc).

Skyzard

Banned
Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before but how come not many cars are available in the multiplayer section?

I can't select any audi for example (even though I have a fully upgraded R8 in SP) :S

ismaboof

SP cars don't carry over into multi. You unlock cars by getting all those MP speed points and mods by doing things like drive a lot.

DonMigs85

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before but how come not many cars are available in the multiplayer section?

I can't select any audi for example (even though I have a fully upgraded R8 in SP) :S

I don't really understand it either, it's not like Paradise MP. It's a clusterf*ck

Skyzard

Banned
I don't really understand it either, it's not like Paradise MP. It's a clusterf*ck

It's a bit confusing yeah..

SP cars don't carry over into multi. You unlock cars by getting all those MP speed points and mods by doing things like drive a lot.

Ok thanks! So I unlock cars for MP by playing in MP games ok, not bad.

Btw I've drained my vita battery twice today already just playing this, playing while charged atm :D - Wtf !!! didn't realise what time it was ! (just looked)

Sethos

Banned
Quick question about all those DLC packs I got through Origin, how do I access that content? Do I have to locate the cars? Because they don't show up in any of the change car menus.

I wonder if the DLC is going to be extra cars + 4 races or just race packs you can do with any car

I sure hope any new races they add to this game are available to any car in the game, because that's all I feel the game really needs to make it even better.

Yeah, this is another oddity for me about this game. Why not allow your vehicle specific progress carry over to multiplayer? You have enough rewards in the multiplayer game already, license plates, levels, etc. You don't need to start everyone's progress over for that mode.

Gacha-pin

Can you tell which security gates have been already smashed?

Yeah, this is another oddity for me about this game. Why not allow your vehicle specific progress carry over to multiplayer? You have enough rewards in the multiplayer game already, license plates, levels, etc. You don't need to start everyone's progress over for that mode.

Maybe it's good for someone who don't care the SP.

Sigh..I don't know what it is, but I'm already regretting buying this. I'm not finding it very enjoyable, and multiplayer seems extremely not fun.

i-zombie

Neo Member
I'm an hour or two in and while I agree with a few of the gripes posted I'm enjoying it a fair bit overall. The main reason I'm posting tho is cos my autolog list is empty! I'm adding myself to the GAF ps3 list... Feel free to add me. Just mention that you're from GAF!

yophlow

Banned
This biggest issue I am finding now is that SP feels like a grind. I just need to switch to cars, unlock nitro, unlock off-road tires, move on to the next car and do the same thing on possibly the same race that I just did. Then I see something that says 15/41 cars found. I've only done maybe 25% of my current cars, I just gotta keep doing this over and over for the next 40? Geez.

Mairu

I have the most trouble with those events where you have to lose the cops :[

Don't know why I keep having this internal debate about getting the Vita version. Already have the PS3 digital, just don't know if it'd be a waste of money or not to get the Vita too.

Haunted

Came in here to talk about this... and I have to agree with you.

Cops in this have the same aggression and speed they did in the 2005 game, but MW 2012 is missing the mechanics that made MW 2005's cop chases work so well - destructible environments/traps to take them out and hiding spots. Eliminating those really screws up the balance.

I hadn't really thought about that, though I did notice the absence of the destructible elements from MW 05, but you're absolutely right - it breaks that gameplay balance of the original.

It seems like you could list several examples of design choices by Criterion in this game that are real head scratchers. Makes you wonder if EA mandated they do things a certain way. There are some odd choices that seem very un-Criterion-like.

PrimeRib_

Don't know why I keep having this internal debate about getting the Vita version. Already have the PS3 digital, just don't know if it'd be a waste of money or not to get the Vita too.

I bought PS3 version while visiting my brother and I couldn't get my nephew off the PS3 to play so I downloaded the Vita version that night. I don't regret it - the Vita version holds up quite well, and as others have already said, its portability is a major plus. I've put in more time on the Vita simply because I can play anywhere, like in front of a cozy fireplace ... :)

Got to play about 40 minutes last night and I find driving round discovering cars and finding collectables so much fun.

Not even intresring in racing right now, just enjoying the open world and mastering drifting I also love the hand break.

Police seem to be mostly down to luck sometimes I can loose them quick other times not the case, now I just pull over I don't have anything to loose.

kitch9

Banned
Got to play about 40 minutes last night and I find driving round discovering cars and finding collectables so much fun.

Not even intresring in racing right now, just enjoying the open world and mastering drifting I also love the hand break.

Police seem to be mostly down to luck sometimes I can loose them quick other times not the case, now I just pull over I don't have anything to loose.

I can lose the cops every time, I just can't seem to win any medium and above races and don't know why...

Top Bottom