• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

kaf

VITA version seems kinda sloppy in some areas. They removed the driver model from the cars, which is understandable - but they forgot to remove the hands. If you ever look at your car during crash moments you'll see two hands attached to the steering wheel.

Other than that, playing SP everything seems kinda solid framerate wise and it handles great.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
VITA version seems kinda sloppy in some areas. They removed the driver model from the cars, which is understandable - but they forgot to remove the hands. If you ever look at your car during crash moments you'll see two hands attached to the steering wheel.

Other than that, playing SP everything seems kinda solid framerate wise and it handles great.
I could have sworn I saw the driver model in there. I'll have to look again.

Synless

The driver's model is in the car, I'm looking at him right now.

SmokyDave

It's really this simple. The Vita version looks rather unpleasant when compared with the console/PC versions. If you can get over that graphical downgrade though, what's there is still a great game.

Its sounds like The Chef just couldn't accept that downgrade, and I certainly understand people who have that reaction. I would certainly choose to play the console versions over the Vita version, but if I'm on the go, I'll be happy to have the Vita version around.

Sony really have fucked up their positioning of the Vita. Instead of celebrating the best looking open world racer on a handheld ever, people are moaning that it doesn't look like the console and PC versions.

Hulud

Just played this for the first time. Hate to be a negative nancy, but slapping a huge TAKEDOWN graphic above my car every thirty second, blocking my view of the track ahead is NOT okay. The HUD in general is messy, imo. Really frustrating. With the huge text, lens flare, and dirt splatter all covering my screen at once, it's like trying to drive blindfolded. Combine that with traffic...yeah, I'm not feeling it. Maybe Horizon is the arcade racer for me this year...

Sony really have fucked up their positioning of the Vita. Instead of celebrating the best looking open world racer on a handheld ever, people are moaning that it doesn't look like the console and PC versions.

I think it's just the reality of having a console game ported to the Vita. People are going to immediately compare it.

Just played this for the first time. Hate to be a negative nancy, but slapping a huge TAKEDOWN graphic above my car every thirty second, blocking my view of the track ahead is NOT okay. The HUD in general is messy, imo. Really frustrating. With the huge text, lens flare, and dirt splatter all covering my screen at once, it's like trying to drive blindfolded. Combine that with traffic...yeah, I'm not feeling it. Maybe Horizon is the arcade racer for me this year...

I'm not even convinced Horizon comparisons are valid. People keep bringing it up, but the games are very different experiences. One is a gritty in your face open world crazyland racing game, and the other is a laid back drive through the Colorado Countryside with some bros that you race against.

I'm not knocking Horizon (I bought it last night), but I'm just pointing out how very different they are. Yet people keep talking like they're kind of interchangeable. They're really not.

Synless

You know, your absolutely right. As I said in my original post I don't know what I was expecting, but it was a bar high enough that it was unrealistic. As I've been playing the game though, it is very impressive in a lot of ways for a handheld, and that's what I need to remember, I am playing it on a handheld. I have to give my props to Criterion, there is no other game of this genre of such high quality.

kitch9

Banned

People tend to drop a few iq points when discussing Sony for some reason.

The main issue with the Vita version is why the fuck can I not change the default control scheme seeing as though every other game ever let me.. The second issue is why the fuck did Criterion pick the worst possible control scheme as default?

Twinduct

The main issue with the Vita version is why the fuck can I not change the default control scheme seeing as though every other game ever let me.. The second issue is why the fuck did Criterion pick the worst possible control scheme as default?

Dream controls Go!
Accelerate on X
Nitro on Right Bumper (OR Back touch? ZOMG!)
Brake on left bumper (OR Circle! ZOMG I WANT CHOICE CRITERION!)

Hulud

I'm not knocking Horizon (I bought it last night), but I'm just pointing out how very different they are. Yet people keep talking like they're kind of interchangeable. They're really not.

I know they're quite different, that's why I think I may like Forza more.

goonergaz

they can probably patch a few of the issues mentioned (eg lack of ability to change buttons round)...mind you, didn't RDR have a similar complaint (or some other R* game?)

red731

So they've must take that SSX music remix engine in this game.
Same as the takedown blocking entire view, like in SSX.
And I connect to autolog just to be disconnected like minute later. Again, again and again.

*switches to hdmi1

Tankshell

Playing this on PC (Origin) and most of the time cannot even connect to Autolog, then occasionally when it does connect, I get disconnected about 5 mins later...

Anyone else experiencing this?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, and the 360 colors looks a little punchier. This is exactly what I noticed in earlier videos I compared.

They're still extremely similar, and I suspect the same goes for their general performance. Digital Foundry should have their Face-Off up any day now with the final verdict.
I suspect that's a result of the slightly different gamma ramp. They look almost 100% identical. I suspect any differences will rise from how streaming is handled and where slowdown and hitches occur.

Duffyside

Banned
Hm, so, uh, I stopped playing last night with like 530,000 SP, and this morning when I turned the game back on I had 920,000 SP. I take it this was due to people challenging my Autolog times, or something? Game didn't explain what happened, and for all I can see the only way to check Autolog happenings is by using the directional pad, and that menu doesn't go that deep.

Sethos

Banned
Can someone tell me why the hell I can't log into autolog / access MP? Keeps telling me I need to be connected to the EA servers and then fails.

Tankshell

Can someone tell me why the hell I can't log into autolog / access MP? Keeps telling me I need to be connected to the EA servers and then fails.

Same here. Pretty bad considering the game revolves around the network/multiplayer side of things. On launch day in Europe =0)

Foshy

tumblr_lw7h14m4br1r0xiug.gif

It's hands down the best one for what regards me, but I agree that customizable controls would have been the best option.

InertiaXr

1. Where is the cheapest I can get this on PC? GMG is fucked on my phone so I can't see If their 25% off coupon covers MW.

2. How much 'downtime' is there between races in multiplayer, and how often are the random events actually races? I was watching giant bomb play some last night and at least half the time it was Jeff driving around aimlessly for an event to pop up then have to go drive to it???? Then the events seemed to be some mini game kind of nonsense like 'drift around this lighthouse where everybody else is too so you crash constantly!' I'm not interested in any of that shit I just want to race other bros, HP2010 or burnout 3 style.

3. Is there the cops and robbers 4v4 racers and police mode from Hot Pursuit 2010?

apesh1t

Banned
I finally got this from Newegg (effected by Sandy), not totally blown away at the moment. Like the soundtrack, though. Cars handle very heavy for an arcade racer. I like running racing games in "dynamic" on my TV so the colors pop, and this game looks really good, Forza Horizon looks better though.

Tankshell

So I noticed there is a folder called "PICS" in the save data folder of the PC version... is there actually a way to take screenshots in the game?

suikodan

I'm playing on Vita and I love how much time I can lose only to beat challenges from other people. For those who are on my list, keep those challenges alive!

I was also expecting a bit more graphic-wise because this game reminds me of Resistance Burning Skies at some points but if you can put aside the fact that you're mostly alone in this town, the game can be very fun.

A friend told me that the Vita version is good until you play the console versions. Since my console backlog is full, I'll stay away from the PC versions for quite a while :)

Hm, I think I'm done with the game. After becoming the Most Wanted the singleplayer offers nothing more than grinding through every race with every car and the multiplayer just doesn't grab me the way it did in Paradise.
I still had a good time playing it for about 15 hours, so it's fine, but I'm also a bit disappointed this game doesn't excite me more.

Finally hit 1m Speed Points in the single player mode. And I still haven't completed a single Most Wanted race. Now that i've got all the mods (minus the Pro versions) for the BAC Mono, I think i'm finally ready to tackle the MW races.

Hm, I think I'm done with the game. After becoming the Most Wanted the singleplayer offers nothing more than grinding through every race with every car and the multiplayer just doesn't grab me the way it did in Paradise.
I still had a good time playing it for about 15 hours, so it's fine, but I'm still a bit disappointed this game doesn't excite me more.

It really is perplexing that they only offer 5 races per car. It almost makes me wonder if something more was planned initially.

I really hope they offer up some reasonably priced DLC, where you can race any car you want in new events, because I want to use my favorite cars more, but it just feels like there isn't enough for me to do with them.

Finally hit 1m Speed Points in the single player mode. And I still haven't completed a single Most Wanted race. Now that i've got all the mods (minus the Pro versions) for the BAC Mono, I think i'm finally ready to tackle the MW races.

You're going to find the first few ridiculously easy now. The most wanted races almost feel like they were tuned to be taken on right as you unlock them.

It really is perplexing that they only offer 5 races per car. It almost makes me wonder if something more was planned initially.

Yeah, I wonder what Criterion thinks is the advantage of having this kind of progression. Because I don't really see one.
I guess it kind of forces you to play with every car in the game, but I really don't find that very compelling. It's too bad.

Yeah, I wonder what Criterion thinks is the advantage of having this kind of progression. Because I don't really see one.
I guess it kind of forces you to play with every car in the game, but I really don't find that very compelling. It's too bad.

Well, I do find it entertaining to hop into other cars and do events in them, and I plan on doing every event with every car eventually, but I just wish there were more to do with my favorite cars.

But I also realize that some people might literally only want to drive 5 cars in the game, and for them things become very limited very quickly.

I know the multiplayer offers a lot as well, but I don't ever think that's a good excuse for limited single player options.

game needs some motorcycle dlc

Don't hold your breath for that. I don't see them introducing such crazy stuff into a NFS game. Burnout is the franchise where they can unleash their wildest ideas, and get away with it. I don't think you'll see anything more than more cars, more events, and new multiplayer modes for DLC here.

You're going to find the first few ridiculously easy now. The most wanted races almost feel like they were tuned to be taken on right as you unlock them.

I probably would've did it then but I just didn't really care for any of the early cars that I maxed out. Plus I always already addicted to completing every race for every car by the time that I did run across a car that I liked. I've just been going down the list of manufacturers completing one car at a time.

Well, I do find it entertaining to hop into other cars and do events in them, and I plan on doing every event with every car eventually, but I just wish there were more to do with my favorite cars.

But I also realize that some people might literally only want to drive 5 cars in the game, and for them things become very limited very quickly.

I know the multiplayer offers a lot as well, but I don't ever think that's a good excuse for limited single player options.

I think I would just prefer a more traditional progression where you start the game with slow cars and work your way up to the awesome cars and have races and events getting progressively more challenging. Giving me access to every car and event from the very beginning and not having any kind of difficulty curve is not very motivating to me, I guess.

tumblr_lw7h14m4br1r0xiug.gif

It's hands down the best one for what regards me, but I agree that customizable controls would have been the best option.

i agree with him....

the default control scheme doesn't work as it should on the vita ...
X and the right analog are way to close

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
http://www.gamesradar.com/need-speed-most-wanted-vita-version-way-closer-to-360-ps3/

360 top, Vita bottom

Very close in the city... but the Vita doesn't like trees:

Side to side yeah this is very very close,It's just really amazing how close the Vita version,and this is still Vita first year and devs are still not used to yet I think. (there were worse 360 to PS3 ports back in the old days)

They just really needed to throw some options,like disable shadows (for better performance)

but anyway With VT4(a perfect port) this is the 2nd best port on Vita so far,and next year we should see better ports.

I think above all people too easily gloss over this game being open world. That's pretty tricky right there, though I suspect that the Vita's memory helps there.

If anyone is playing Most Wanted on Vita, add my to their PSN friend list! I just got NFS Most Wanted but I don't have any friends to compare times too.

My PSN ID is the same as my username - mandiller

Will do.

ALSO - ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE PLAYING THE VITA VERSION, PLEASE ADD ME. PSN ID is same as my gaf tag : CloakedPuppet. Thanks!

yophlow

Banned
Seriously, how do I lose the cops? I drive as fast as I can, top speed and nitrous, ducking down side roads, doing everything physically possible and the cops are on my tail. As soon as I enter cooldown, another cop appears on the road in front of me. Am I doing something wrong?

Seriously, how do I lose the cops? I drive as fast as I can, top speed and nitrous, ducking down side roads, doing everything physically possible and the cops are on my tail. As soon as I enter cooldown, another cop appears on the road in front of me. Am I doing something wrong?

Enter Cooldown and then find an alley. Park there and then hit L3 to kill your engine. It'll make your heat drop like a rock. Some times you're even able to just stop right out in the open with your engine off and you'll escape from them.

Top Bottom