• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

Skyzard

Banned
I can lose the cops every time, I just can't seem to win any medium and above races and don't know why...

Try short gears (if you have it), light weight chassis, track wheels (if no major off-road parts in the course) and of course nitrous. They can be quite tough! Nice and challenging :D Great for replaying.

So i was chased by cops and my heat level was 6. I escaped and figured i'd get a trophy for that. Why not?

Anyway, i was in a slow tanky cobra, sometimes without tires and i can't see why people think it's hard to escape.

It can be hard to escape in the specified time of an event. Especially if the car is lousy for that type of stuff.

Tanky cars make pursuits much more bearable. I did the "Get 10 Takedowns" trophy with the Ford Raptor and that was the most fun I've had doing cop chases. The SWAT cars are the only thing that can even put a dent in your car. You can pretty much crash through everything else.

Wow, the BAC Mono is a beast. I just completed all 10 Most Wanted races with it and only had to retry one event, and the one was only due to missing a turn near the end. Shutting down the cars was the only issue that I ran into while using it, but I eventually got the hang of it.

DonMigs85

I'm really loving the game now, and I feel bad for Criterion - there are so many negative posts on their Facebook page.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are there any 'best' cars for the most wanted races? I've already unlocked three of them just by driving around and doing the first nitrous race for cars that I find. Just wondering if its worth taking one or two particular cars and working through their races to get mods. No a fan of US muscle, too twitchy.

And are the mods you unlock fairly linear? I.e if you unlock something just out it straight on, or is there some switching back to be done for some races? Off-road tyres already confused me. I didn't put them on because I wasn't racing off-road much, but the description says no loss of traction on-road? So no reason not to use them. Why not call them something else then?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Don't know why I keep having this internal debate about getting the Vita version. Already have the PS3 digital, just don't know if it'd be a waste of money or not to get the Vita too.

Get it. Other than the obvious graphics, I'm finding the vita version to be better in some ways. I don't play much multiplayer, but the asynchronous single player, where every billboard/speed trap and race shows you compared to your friends really fits well on vita.

Are there any 'best' cars for the most wanted races? I've already unlocked three of them just by driving around and doing the first nitrous race for cars that I find. Just wondering if its worth taking one or two particular cars and working through their races to get mods. No a fan of US muscle, too twitchy.

The BAC Mono (fully modded) is the car that I used to complete every Most Wanted race. Here's the location if you haven't found it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdcUkriXFN8

It handles like a dream once you've unlocked the mods for it. And it has ridiculous acceleration. The only downside is that it's extremely fragile. Touching anything from the wrong angle, event at low speeds, will make you crash. But that acceleration makes up for the crashing that may occur.

Razgreez

And are the mods you unlock fairly linear? I.e if you unlock something just out it straight on, or is there some switching back to be done for some races? Off-road tyres already confused me. I didn't put them on because I wasn't racing off-road much, but the description says no loss of traction on-road? So no reason not to use them. Why not call them something else then?

Off road tyres make a huge difference offroad and are much weaker onroad even if the stats don't display that. Track tires, aero body and nitros are the first things i try to get since they make all the other races much easier. Without track tyres it's very difficult to keep up with the other cars during the harder races and there are very very few races that necessitate offroad tyres

Sad part is i feel like i'm doing the same thing over and over every 15-25mins with a different car that at the beginning feels almost like every other un-upgraded car and at the end feels almost like every other upgraded car - since i literally am

SVT Raptor is a major outlier though, can smash into everything with that monster

Get it. Other than the obvious graphics, I'm finding the vita version to be better in some ways. I don't play much multiplayer, but the asynchronous single player, where every billboard/speed trap and race shows you compared to your friends really fits well on vita.

Ok, so after spending some decent time with Most Wanted, I can confirm that this is basically Burnout Paradise on a handheld, with a lot better gameplay features, like being able to instantly retry races, go to other races on the map (you can still drive of course), Autolog support, etc. That's the only point at which there are some load-times, and they're not long. And police chases of course. ;)

In a few ways the console versions are better obviously (would have liked the mugshot feature personally, especially with the Vita having a built-in camera), but that's not really relevant to me - I'm just playing the Vita version for now, and it's one of the best handheld racing games out there, with so much to do. In some ways the Vita version is also better - less traffic is actually good, as there is still plenty and with the high speeds at which the races go, it gets pretty hard not crashing into anything as it is.

I've also seen complaints about the police chases, but don't believe those complaints. They're fun, they earn you points, and when you want to get rid of them (which so far is usually pretty easy anyway, once you've gotten used to the game a little bit) you can just drop into whatever race from the quick menu (that you can access while driving using the d-pad) and the chase is over.

Actually a lot of complaints are just downsides of new upsides. For instance, some people complain that the individual races are linked to cars. But the upside of that is that you generally have balanced races for that car (off-road, turns, fast, etc.), where you could otherwise blow through those races with an overpowered car. And as each car has dedicated races, these are all unique races and so AutoLog works great with them.

Text is a tad small at times though (which is a reverse complaint on consoles).

The Autolog really adds to the billboard smashing aspect of the game for me.

I can lose the cops every time, I just can't seem to win any medium and above races and don't know why...

With any car? A lot of them handle quite differently, and I found Medium races nearly impossible with some cars, while other cars are a breeze. It's like someone was saying about all cars being available when you find them: there's no clear difficulty curve. e.g. With one of the Lambos, the race to get the Track Tires starts with you barreling into a turn that will slam you directly into a wall if you don't figure out that car's handling. That was one of the first cars I tried outside of the Porsche 911, and I found myself getting really frustrated with the game, but I should've just switched to a different car.

Rasgreez said:
Off road tyres make a huge difference offroad and are much weaker onroad even if the stats don't display that.

Seriously? I was noticing the loss of Control is negligible for some cars compared to the gain in Offroad, and had settled on those tires to be more versatile. With the Track Tires it seems like you even lose quite a bit of speed when you go up on a median or curb.

Yeah, that and anti-Burnout whiners. Seems they hate constantly crashing and not having characters and a storyline.

I always roll my eyes at the "This isn't Need for Speed" posts. What is NFS now? Driving cars is really the only thing that's a constant in the series.

Anyway, I do think that they could do an Underground game in the future. Especially if they keep up the trend of attempting to put their own spin on classic NFS games.

ryushe

I am freaking LOVING the Vita version of this game. I'm not huge into racers, but this game, downloadable and on the go, is like a match made in heaven. I loved Burnout Paradise and NFS: Hot Pursuit aslo, but having to be tethered to a console/PC made it lose the pick up and play nature of those games.

Thank you Criterion for not fucking this up.

Now I just need to set up a good racing playlist so I don't have to listen to the trash music in the game.

Except the Muse's "Butterflies and Hurricanes"

Escaping pursuit of from the cops with that song blaring in the background is just orgasmic!

Tankshell

Now that I have the game running at a solid 60, and have gotten used to the handling I am really enjoying this. Just cruising around the interstate in the cobra, brings much entertainment. Looks stunning as well.

Razgreez

Seriously? I was noticing the loss of Control is negligible for some cars compared to the gain in Offroad, and had settled on those tires to be more versatile. With the Track Tires it seems like you even lose quite a bit of speed when you go up on a median or curb.

Try winning the Impreza Cosworth offroad race without using offroad tyres and you'll see the difficulty i'm referring to - it's one fo the few actual offroad circuits with only a tiny stretch of tarmac. Then try doing one of those high speed tests/races with offroad/track tyres, respectively, and notice the difference. You lose a lot less speed going around bends and the cars have less of a tendency to drift (which slows the car down)

Acosta

Filled with "Where's Underground 3" type posts? That's the type of comments that showed up on Youtube whenever a MW trailer was posted.

I have seen some forums and comments with people FURIOUS about this being called Most Wanted and saying EA/Criterion has killed Need for Speed. They hate the freedom, the lack of "story", the lack of tuning...

Honestly, I have never played a Need for Speed, I bought this because I loved Paradise. Is that different? I'm really surprised people putting so much weight on the story and the structure.

Anyone know why I would go to sleep with 500k SP, and then wake up with 900k SP?

I'd love to have this issue - went from 560K last night to 360K tonight. What the hell?
The Most Wanted cars I took out during that session are marked as Shutdown - but ahead of me on the board now.

Damn. Other than that the game is awesome! But damn. PC version, also getting super-droppy Autolog in singleplayer.

Razgreez

I have seen some forums and comments with people FURIOUS about this being called Most Wanted and saying EA/Criterion has killed Need for Speed. They hate the freedom, the lack of "story", the lack of tuning...

Honestly, I have never played a Need for Speed, I bought this because I loved Paradise. Is that different? I'm really surprised people putting so much weight on the story and the structure.

It's pretty much a case of; if you love burnout you'll love NFS MW. If you loved NFS MW (2005) you'll feel bitterly disappointed as this game is nothing like it. NFS always had a very specific feeling. It had that balance between arcade and sim while remaining completely grounded as an arcade racer. If one is completely honest this game is a huge step backward from NFS MW(2005) in every regard

Acosta

It's pretty much a case of; if you love burnout you'll love NFS MW. If you loved NFS MW (2005) you'll feel bitterly disappointed as this game is nothing like it. NFS always had a very specific feeling. It had that balance between arcade and sim while remaining completely grounded as an arcade racer

I see, thanks... I guess I can understand their feeling, I was not exactly thrilled when the new "Syndicate" or the FPS Xcom were announced. Names are important, for me at least.

It's pretty much a case of; if you love burnout you'll love NFS MW. If you loved NFS MW (2005) you'll feel bitterly disappointed as this game is nothing like it. NFS always had a very specific feeling. It had that balance between arcade and sim while remaining completely grounded as an arcade racer. If one is completely honest this game is a huge step backward from NFS MW(2005) in every regard

lol

Guess I'm not capable of being completely honest.

Tankshell

It's pretty much a case of; if you love burnout you'll love NFS MW. If you loved NFS MW (2005) you'll feel bitterly disappointed as this game is nothing like it. NFS always had a very specific feeling. It had that balance between arcade and sim while remaining completely grounded as an arcade racer. If one is completely honest this game is a huge step sideways from NFS MW(2005) in every regard

Fixed.

Skyzard

Banned
Are the randomly speeding cars (not temporary leftovers from most wanted races) that you can chase in free-roam, casually in SP?

hwy_61

Banned
Wow at all the positive vita impressions!

One question, though. Is all the multiplayer stuff there as well? That is where the game shines, after all.

Tankshell

Question about the vita version: does it let you continue where you left off from the console version? I presume they both use your autolog account to save your progress... so in theory this would be possible?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So I loved Most Wanted from early in this generation. Loved Burnout Games. Liked Paradise. Thought Hot Pursuit Sucked.

Will I like this game?

Question about the vita version: does it let you continue where you left off from the console version? I presume they both use your autolog account to save your progress... so in theory this would be possible?

All the Autolog leaderboard stuff and your points are linked to your Origin (EA) account, and therefore are available on all platforms you play it on. But stuff like what you've unlocked, cars you've discovered etc - the actual 'game state' if you will - isn't yet synched between the different versions.

But in theory, yes, it would be possible, and because of Origin, across all platforms, which is an unexpected perk of having a separate publisher related service like that around for consumers (I think so far most people found it more of an annoyance, if anything, but there's potential here for good, at least ;) )

So I loved Most Wanted from early in this generation. Loved Burnout Games. Liked Paradise. Thought Hot Pursuit Sucked.

Will I like this game?

If you like Paradise, you'll probably like this too.

PaulLFC

This is good to hear. I've just reserved the Vita version for £35 at Argos, I was debating whether to pick it up or not as I'd mostly be playing single player and some reviews mentioned the SP wasn't great. Good to hear that there seems to be a fair bit to do.

Despera

Banned
I'm not sure what to think of the game so far, but the way they designed the single player seems lazy to me. I'm not exactly enjoying the focus on grinding and having to unlock the same shit for multiple cars over and over again.

Cool thing they did with the race intros though, and some cars handle like a dream. Will keep on playing and see where this goes.

XTERC

I initially purchased the PC version of NFS:MW, but realised I was going to go out of town for a week or two, so I picked up the Vita version and was initially a little dissappointed. The main thing that struck me is the lack of cars on the road and the game felt a little empty. Once you start a race/event though, those issues are forgotten. I can't put the Vita version down now, I find it amazing I've got a Criterion game in my hands running as well as this is.

The checkpoint system is great, they have put a lot of thought into exactly where the checkpoints are placed, so it is rare that you need to look at the map while racing at high speed.

Does anyone know if the SP/cars transfer across platforms?

SmokyDave

This is good to hear. I've just reserved the Vita version for £35 at Argos, I was debating whether to pick it up or not as I'd mostly be playing single player and some reviews mentioned the SP wasn't great. Good to hear that there seems to be a fair bit to do.
I've put about 4 hours into single player so far and I've only done one race. Granted, I'm mental, but this game is still shit hot.

I'd love to have this issue - went from 560K last night to 360K tonight. What the hell?
The Most Wanted cars I took out during that session are marked as Shutdown - but ahead of me on the board now.

Damn. Other than that the game is awesome! But damn. PC version, also getting super-droppy Autolog in singleplayer.

So because I'm loving this game, I just power on through and go from 360K back up to ~790K (enough to unlock MW car #3). Obviously the Autolog has disconnected itself at some point without my noticing.

I played a solid session from the time I made my last post until now - 2.5 hours - and decide I'm about done for the night. Decide it'd be a good idea to connect to Autolog to make sure I'm backing data up to the servers. Instead, this act takes me from 790K to 430K.

Since I'm in MW car #3 now, I'm actually driving a car which is locked to my new SpeedPoints.

So THAT's not awesome.

Top Bottom