• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

Question: are there gates in this game or nor? Certainly one of my favorite things in Paradise...

I was originally going to punt on this, but I'm getting closer the more I read.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does anyone know if the SP/cars transfer across platforms?

SP yes, cars no. So you'll unlock most wanted races by sharing SP, but you'll need to find and mod the cars separately.

Bit of a shame and hopefully they'll address than in a patch or future game.

Yes, gates and billboards in this. Autolog saves how many gates you've found compared to your friends, and also who flew the furthest when smashing billboards

ryushe

So I downloaded and played the PS+ trial and after playing the Vita version for extensive amount of time, I honestly don't see the complaint about the Vita's world feeling lifeless compared to the its big brother counterparts. It feels just as lively/barren on the PS3 version as it does the Vita version. I will admit though, the cop chases did feel more exhilarating... if not more frustrating. So I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

Also, while the Vita version looks great, the PS3 version looks reeeally great and it made going back to the Vita version just a bit jarring for a few minutes.

That and playing both version just made realize that Autolog is the best thing to happen to racing games since crashing became an acceptable way to win.

Will definitely double dip on the PS3 version when I see it for cheap.

VanWinkle

So I downloaded and played the PS+ trial and after playing the Vita version for extensive amount of time, I honestly don't see the complaint about the Vita's world feeling lifeless compared to the its big brother counterparts. It feels just as lively/barren on the PS3 version as it does the Vita version. I will admit though, the cop chases did feel more exhilarating... if not more frustrating. So I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

Also, while the Vita version looks great, the PS3 version looks reeeally great and it made going back to the Vita version just a bit jarring for a few minutes.

That and playing both version just made realize that Autolog is the best thing to happen to racing games since crashing became an acceptable way to win.

Will definitely double dip on the PS3 version when I see it for cheap.

Haha, I did the exact thing and came to the same conclusions. The two versions share a very similar experience. The only thing was going back to the Vita version after playing the PS3 one was a little rough because of the fantastic graphics on the PS3 version, but that only lasted a minute or two and then you don't notice.

What are the Aussie Brothers? Playing online last night, the message popped up that they are presenting milestone and crashed my game afterwards.

aristotle

Is it just me, or does Autolog keeps disconnecting for everyone ALL THE TIME?
I'm playing on PS3.

Yeah it was happening a ton last night. Im sticking with SP until the problems are solved.

I wondered why you guys all left at once , besides me winning of course. :p

For PS3 players: To have a custom soundtrack, you HAVE to make a playlist. You can't just select a folder and play the music. Stupid eh?

Also, to just cruise around and find billboards, gates, and speed cameras without cops hassling you, just create yourself a MP session and make it invite only. No cops! I forgot about that from Paradise. Of course by doing that you can't find jackspots & new cars, but it makes just cruising around much easier.

I still don't understand why none of the security gates show up on the map when everything else does. Hopefully they can add that in with a patch.

While I wasn't too hot on the game initially, I've coming to like it more, although my gripes earlier are still valid. MP is fun, but not nearly as easy to setup races & challenges as in Paradise. Also, trying to set up races when someone crashes into is a PITA. It shouldn't knock you out of the autolog menu when that happens. Some decisions make little sense to me from Criterion, but I'm finding it more enjoyable than I did at first. The SP is lacking though and I'm almost completely done with it. I'll finish up everything tonight in about 2-3 hours (finding the last camera, 10 billboards, & 20 gates. It's really short to me.

Tip for the ambush/police chases: There's a particular jump in downtown that lands you on the railroad tracks above. The cops can't jump up there for some reason and you can always get away when you go there. Simple stuff really.

This is a dumb question, but how do you change your in-game picture?

You have to do it on the Need For Speed website. My friendlist should be seeing a puking gnome now. ;)

Twinduct

Haha, I did the exact thing and came to the same conclusions. The two versions share a very similar experience. The only thing was going back to the Vita version after playing the PS3 one was a little rough because of the fantastic graphics on the PS3 version, but that only lasted a minute or two and then you don't notice.

If I remember correctly, the IGN review had the same guy do both reviews. Can't help but imagine something like that impacting his judgement.

VanWinkle

If I remember correctly, the IGN review had the same guy do both reviews. Can't help but imagine something like that impacting his judgement.

Yeah, that probably would have made it easier to grade the Vita lower, but it should be judged on it's own merits. It's the best and most ambitious portable racer ever.

dsigns1

Yeah, that probably would have made it easier to grade the Vita lower, but it should be judged on it's own merits. It's the best and most ambitious portable racer ever.
Yea it doesn't make sense. Of course the vita version isn't going to look as good. Who was expecting it to?

daviyoung

Banned
Just popping in to say this game is fantastic!

I don't have any friends on Origin, forevers alone. Add me bros: ID = Youngavic

Let's compare speed points!

G_Berry

Banned
I'm fine with the Vita versions graphics quality but how does it run? Is it choppy or is it nice and smooth because that is more important to me than the graphics.

Twinduct

Alright. Wtf is going on in this game? I guess story progress spoilers below
Wtf is up with the flying stuff in intros ... or the fucking weird ass tower of cop cars that show up during ambush intros ... wtf is going on?

Does this shit get explained at one stage?

scitek

Ohhh, so I spent all that time upgrading cars in single player for nothing. When you start online you start over again. Fuck off.

daviyoung

Banned
Wtf is up with the flying stuff in intros ... or the fucking weird ass tower of cop cars that show up during ambush intros ... wtf is going on?

Haha I'm pretty sure they're just crazy cinematics, like the one where the camera spends 30 seconds upside down. As far as I can tell there is no story, and the game is a straight-forward racer.

Muse. Before they became shit.

Congrats on the unjuniorship!

Mikor

So I picked this up on Vita a couple of days ago in that Target sale.

Today I just started looking into all the functionality of the Autolog...and I'm blown away right now. The needforspeed.com website has a ton of functionality. The friend recommendation thing ended up matching me up with SmokyDave, who is my closest competitor on my friends list at the moment. I have to admit, I went into this purchase essentially blind, but I am really glad I made it. I can see this title enjoying a very long life in my regular game rotation.

No, it's just very bizarre and kind of awesome. I enjoyed these intros.

ryushe

Gets easier the more you upgrade your car. Try going off road or against traffic. Once you're out of their radius find a safe place to stop and switch your engine off by pressing the left thumbstick. GAF taught me that today.

Thanks! It fits so well.
Yep, that same tip saved my bacon today when I had a lvl 6 pursuit going on and yeah, no problem. It really does.

sun-drop

this game is amazing.

just took down my first most wanted car.

once i clicked that i need to race my cars races to boost it up to take on these better cars ...was all on.

think i'm more drawn to the offline game and autolog times at the mo...will head online more later after i think.

paradise fans , buy this

Just wanted to chime in again and request some friends for the Vita version (puleeeeease- my speedwell needs some life!). PSN name is the same as my username: CloakedPuppet

Thanks so much - lovin' both versions of this game!

Gravijah

i'm not sure i understand the complaints about lack of traffic in the console versions. given the nature of the game, if it was denser, you would crash a lot more.

Dumb question: If I equip off-road tires, does my speed on the streets go down? Or should I just always equip the new tires. Sorry, still very early in the game!

FracturedZero

Neo Member
I love this game. I do find some of the design decisions to be honest rather dumb. But when it comes down to racing, crashing, and exploring the city, this game excels.

I do hope Criterion will address issues and add to the game much the same way they did Paradise. They made it almost feel like a new game post launch.

Other than being an open world game in which you can crash thru billboards and gates, this game feels nothing like Paradise to me.

Since I cannot add my gamertag to the spread sheet, it would be great if people would add me if you are playing on the 360. Would love some more autolog times to compare to. Gamertag is the same as my user name. FracturedZero.

SHarris78

Played this on the Vita last night. I'm glad most people here seem to like it but i find it terrible. The framerate is poor and the ridiculous speed combined with the horrible jaggies make it a chore to play. Maybe my expectations of Critereon were too high but I was expecting this game to be the new standard for portable racers, as it is it stands as a preview of what we can expect in the future when the hardware is used to its potential and we get native resolution, locked 30fps, and myabe some AA.

Razgreez

Dumb question: If I equip off-road tires, does my speed on the streets go down? Or should I just always equip the new tires. Sorry, still very early in the game!

Equip off-road tyres for races that are predominantly off-road. They lose traction easier and make accelerating more difficult on tarmac

Other than being an open world game in which you can crash thru billboards and gates, this game feels nothing like Paradise to me.

If anything it feels worse though that's the problem. The steering is... weird and quite delayed. For example you cant light up the tyres and do a quick 180 from standstill because for some reason the front wheels always center themselves even if you hold left or right. A hood cam is also desperately needed since it's difficult to do pin point accurate racing from a view point so far away from the nose of your car. The bumper cam is way too low to be useful either

I was actually getting annoyed earlier doing the ariel atom V8 speed race because the car handles too well for the delayed steering so on some ocassions if you don't stop turning just as you start turning you end up over-steering into the wall and when you try to counter steer you veer off in the opposite direction. Just glad i finished that race now because even the short/skipped intro was something like 15 or 20 seconds

Top Bottom