• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

Doc Evils

Anyone else find this game has one of the best realistic graphics for an open world game? The effects and cleaness of the graphics is so :eek:oo

Goldrusher

Anyone else find this game has one of the best realistic graphics for an open world game? The effects and cleaness of the graphics is so :eek:oo
No. Way too many fancy lighting effects. It feels like you're playing through the lens of a camera.

It's not a bad looking game though, don't get me wrong.

netBuff

No. Way too many fancy lighting effects. It feels like you're playing through the lens of a camera.

Yeah, I think this game looks very good in general (PS3), but they really overdid it with some of the effects. And I would have preferred 60fps on consoles to better display quality (Driver: San Francisco was the last high-profile open world driving game on consoles featuring smooth framerate, right?).

And I really hope there's going to be a patch that allows me to disable the police outside of races - it really is infuriating constantly having to deal with them when I just want to drive around a bit, find cars and smash billboards.

Man, the multiplayer is really fun.

Yep, that's where they really were able to rekindle that Burnout: Paradise spirit. But I like the singleplayer as well, completing different races and upgrading cars at the same time works for me.

What he does in the retry is the best way to complete every one of the Ambush events. Staying around the area where you start is the way to go if you want to complete them quickly. I think some people have problems with them because they just try to use the cars speed to outrun the cops on straightaways when that just causes their rubberband AI to kick in. But what you should do is constantly take corners as that confuses the AI. I generally complete those events in a minute or so.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm finding the ambush events a bit random. It can take 1 minute or 10 minutes based on luck often. Stuck on the BAC ambush event, can't get it under 2 minutes

Gravijah

And I really hope there's going to be a patch that allows me to disable the police outside of races - it really is infuriating constantly having to deal with them when I just want to drive around a bit, find cars and smash billboards.

i wish you could increase the frequency in which they pop up. and man, at lower levels they are brain dead, i have to build them up and not drive as quickly as possible just to get a good chase going.

netBuff

Everything that involves cops in this game is the worst. Except for the intros

Absolutely, I hate constantly being chased by them even outside of races. I WANT TO SMASH FUCKING BILLBOARDS AND DO STUNTS, NOT FLEE FROM THE POLICE ALL THE TIME GOD DAMN IT!

i wish you could increase the frequency in which they pop up. and man, at lower levels they are brain dead, i have to build them up and not drive as quickly as possible just to get a good chase going.

Most of the time, the NFS police is an annoying nuisance that gets in the way of playing the game. Having a slider for "police aggressiveness" (none to aggressive) would probably be the best solution, sometimes being chased is fun.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A couple of times now I've been driving to a new race, and am inches from it (or even pressing L2/R2 to start a race) and I hit a police car, messing everything up :/

aristotle

You can tell how many people read my posts when I see people say "I just want to run around and smash stuff! Stupid cops!". :(

Read my post on the last page.

billsmugs

Just wanted to chime in again and request some friends for the Vita version (puleeeeease- my speedwell needs some life!). PSN name is the same as my username: CloakedPuppet

Thanks so much - lovin' both versions of this game!

I haven't got anyone on my Vita friends with the game either, so I've sent you a request. Any other Vita Most Wanted players feel free to add billsmugs!

EDIT: my favourite intro so far has to be "Straight to the Point" with the flying cars, for some reason that cracked me up :D
(I haven't had any ambush races yet though, are they rare or have I just been unlucky?)

netBuff

You can tell how many people read my posts when I see people say "I just want to run around and smash stuff! Stupid cops!". :(

Read my post on the last page.

Your suggestion is helpful, but I still have plenty of singleplayer car progression open and haven't found all "jackspots".

You are not connected to the Autolog servers.

Arrrrrgh!

That as well - I constantly have to reconnect to the Autolog severs, even though my internet connection doesn't drop out and I can play multiplayer matches flawlessly.

XTERC

SP yes, cars no. So you'll unlock most wanted races by sharing SP, but you'll need to find and mod the cars separately.

Bit of a shame and hopefully they'll address than in a patch or future game.

Yes, gates and billboards in this. Autolog saves how many gates you've found compared to your friends, and also who flew the furthest when smashing billboards

Thanks!

Skyzard

Banned
Vita framerate is mostly good - it is a bit lower then I like online sometimes though..sometimes at super fast speeds you may feel it lagging - best to tap circle for a moment and go in bumper view to boost fps (no car model lowering fps).

Are the randomly speeding cars (not temporary leftovers from most wanted races) that you can chase in free-roam, casually in SP?

I have not seen any in the Vita version.

Thanks, me neither (on vita), are they present on other versions? I'm tempted to just let some of the most wanted list roam around the city permenantly for the extra feature...otherwise I can see SP wearing thin pretty quickly.. (even though there are cop chases, can't chase anyone yourself without net).

Mairu

I skip pretty much every event intro. I wish I could just set it to auto-skip. I watched a couple but I wasn't really liking them.

Skyzard

Banned
I skip pretty much every event intro. I wish I could just set it to auto-skip. I watched a couple but I wasn't really liking them.

Same here..a lot of the clips and camera angles just make no sense and don't flow...I think they were trying to pull off something cool like Blur did but failed. I just watch the police chase ones with the crazy arrangements.

OmegaZero

Thanks, me neither (on vita), are they present on other versions? I'm tempted to just let some of the most wanted list roam around the city permenantly for the extra feature...otherwise I can see SP wearing thin pretty quickly.. (even though there are cop chases, can't chase anyone yourself without net).

What I do is do a race and then follow the cars afterward.
Yeah, it's a poor-man's replacement, but what else can you do?

bs000

A couple of times now I've been driving to a new race, and am inches from it (or even pressing L2/R2 to start a race) and I hit a police car, messing everything up :/

There was one event I was trying to get to that was at least 3 miles from any Jack Spot. Took me 5 minutes to get there and of course there's a cop and starts a pursuit when I'm inches from starting the event. 5 minutes later I give up and get busted. Take another 5 to drive back there and the same thing happened ._.

Can't you warp to a race point, or is that only on a retry?

Only if you've already played the event before.

Mairu

Same here..a lot of the clips and camera angles just make no sense and don't flow...I think they were trying to pull off something cool like Blur did but failed. I just watch the police chase ones with the crazy arrangements.

One of the first ones I watched was like an overhead upside down view and it was just giving me a headache. I'd just prefer to get straight into the race, but I never played Blur so I don't know how well they pulled it off.

Skyzard

Banned
What I do is do a race and then follow the cars afterward.
Yeah, it's a poor-man's replacement, but what else can you do?

I forgot about that, thanks - also just saw you added me, will be up to play in an hour or so (just finished - up to nearly 10 hours in one day on my vita! - I like that it says when you load it up).

One of the first ones I watched was like an overhead upside down view and it was just giving me a headache. I'd just prefer to get straight into the race, but I never played Blur so I don't know how well they pulled it off.

I think I know what you're referring to and yeah it was annoying for me too, it was reused a few times too. Blur did it really well, quite simple, but very clean and cool.

jaydogg691

Played this on the Vita last night. I'm glad most people here seem to like it but i find it terrible. The framerate is poor and the ridiculous speed combined with the horrible jaggies make it a chore to play. Maybe my expectations of Critereon were too high but I was expecting this game to be the new standard for portable racers, as it is it stands as a preview of what we can expect in the future when the hardware is used to its potential and we get native resolution, locked 30fps, and myabe some AA.

Same here. The game plays ok, but I'm really annoyed by the looks of the game. It's a nice accomplishment that Critereon was able to put the console experience on the Vita, but it comes with many sacrifices, mainly the resolution. It's really hard to see where you are going because there are lots of jaggies and low resolution effects. Also, the first person view is one of the worst I've ever used in a game. I'm trying to enjoy the Vita version, but I think I'm going to move on to the PS3 version.

My first hour with the game, awesome intro and then I got the Porsche, didn't have much fun just racing alone with Zero friends to compare times to.

Next night I play and I have 1 friends times showing up, makes the game completely different, night and day, enjoyed it much better.

And now? I love this game, loved the original Most Wanted, Loved Burnout Paradise, and I personally feel that they've made a perfect mash up of the 2.

Could do with more Most Wanted friends, mostly for the Speedwall and competition but also for some Multiplayer fun at times.

PSN same as Gaf name, UK GMT time zone :)

My first hour with the game, awesome intro and then I got the Porsche, didn't have much fun just racing alone with Zero friends to compare times to.

Next night I play and I have 1 friends times showing up, makes the game completely different, night and day, enjoyed it much better.

And now? I love this game, loved the original Most Wanted, Loved Burnout Paradise, and I personally feel that they've made a perfect mash up of the 2.

Could do with more Most Wanted friends, mostly for the Speedwall and competition but also for some Multiplayer fun at times.

PSN same as Gaf name, UK GMT time zone :)

I'm in the USA, EST time zone. Is it cool if I add you to at least compare times for Autolog? Probably won't be able to play together much.

ismaboof

General reasons multiplayer is lacking:

- I can't finish a speed list because I always get disconnected.
- Speed points become irrelevant after you hit 1mil. The friends leader board is basically a list of who has the most time to play.
- There's no motivation to do specific events. Playlists are a fantastic idea, but part of what kept me coming back to Paradise was that there was a list of 500 specific challenges that I was progressing in. It's fun to go from 100/500 to 104/500. As far as I can tell, MW doesn't do that and is just about challenges in general. I don't care if I fail a challenge because I already have my speed points past 1mil.
- I have to re-unlock the cars and mods. Fuck that's annoying to go from my pro-ed out Vantage to the gimped version just because I want to play the game.

And selecting online and getting a big loading screen is a bummer.

Skyzard

Banned
Offline? Want to casually race some drivers around the town without an event....start any race and you can leave it straight away and they'll carry on driving. Not bad imo but they do disappear if you are taken down.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Autolog is damn annoying. Constantly disconnected but you don't get a notification until you manually go in to look at friends etc.

And I still don't understand why the SP keeps changing. I unlocked the 7th or 6th most wanted race at 520k, but then I connected to autolog and suddenly had 395k and the race was locked :/ the game still shows 550k at the top of the screen though.

bs000

Autolog is damn annoying. Constantly disconnected but you don't get a notification until you manually go in to look at friends etc.

And I still don't understand why the SP keeps changing. I unlocked the 7th or 6th most wanted race at 520k, but then I connected to autolog and suddenly had 395k and the race was locked :/ the game still shows 550k at the top of the screen though.

It does that when you reconnect to autolog. Anything you earned while not connected is lost but quitting to dashboard seems to fix it. Annoying having to restart the game all the time though.

I love this game. I do find some of the design decisions to be honest rather dumb. But when it comes down to racing, crashing, and exploring the city, this game excels.

Other than being an open world game in which you can crash thru billboards and gates, this game feels nothing like Paradise to me.

This is entirely on point. I don't like the handling model much. It loses a lot of precision where it shouldn't, and I really wish the game ran at a higher frame rate, but what is there is a solid experience.

It's NOTHING like Paradise, but it's a good game in it's own right. I just wanted something different from what I got.

Love the dynamism in the MP though. Easily the best design choice they made for the whole product. (Lack of cops in MP makes a world of difference too.)

Top Bottom