• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

fernoca

Just got the game on Vita and darn..quite amazing. It's basically a portable Burnout Paradise. XD

Now, the only lame aspect is that the PlayStation ID was auto-linked to an old EA Origin account/email that I don't have access to. Contacted support; but chat, phone, forum couldn't help into unlinking the PSN ID from one to the one/main accoutn I use (since 2010).

Oh well, guess I'll continue playing offline untill things are fixed.

btkadams

has anybody else had trouble using the rear touch pad (vita version obv) to change tracks? it has never worked for me. is there some special technique to it?

TJP

I'm absolutely loving Most Wanted! It really is akin to Paradise as many here have posted yet feels different. RPS nailed the good and bad points in their PC version review.

I find little to complain about as MW is a fantastic change from the realistic racing sims I usually play.

And I really hope there's going to be a patch that allows me to disable the police outside of races - it really is infuriating constantly having to deal with them when I just want to drive around a bit, find cars and smash billboards.

I almost never trigger them outside of scripted events, and they're really easy to lose once I do. I haven't had a Pursuit worth more than a few thousand SP yet.

Skyzard

Banned
has anybody else had trouble using the rear touch pad (vita version obv) to change tracks? it has never worked for me. is there some special technique to it?

Hmm, swipe to the right near the top-half of the rear pad. It doesn't work with custom playlists :)

ryushe

So since playing the game, I booted up Burnout Paradise Complete on the PS3 (I'm sorry, I know everyone loves this game, but other than it running flawlessly on a console, I largely dislike pretty much everything about this game, but that's another matter for another thread) and then Need for Speed Hot Pursuit on the PC and I've come to the conclusion that Most Wanted is like the perfect marriage between the two. It somehow managed to keep the things I loved from both games, while removing the things I disliked.

Also, I now think this |OT| should've been named "Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Pursuit to Paradise."

:p

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wow, this game is really impressive on the Vita. I wish it were native res because then it would be like mindblowing, but as is, it's basically all there, little loading, looks good. Very fun!

VanWinkle

Wow, this game is really impressive on the Vita. I wish it were native res because then it would be like mindblowing, but as is, it's basically all there, little loading, looks good. Very fun!

Yup. It's a blast. Best portable racer ever, IMO.

I believe you have to swipe.

aristotle

I found my last billboard and for some reason it never triggers. I've run through it like 10 times and it never registers. It's so frustrating. It's on an overpass near the broken down airplane section. Has anyone else had that billboard register?

I only have 4 security gates to find too and that will be annoying since there is no way to track it and those are my last 5 collectibles. Blargh!

So, you basically ram someone when they wipe out?

No, it's called a crash escape. You avoid any wrecks in front of you. It's vaguely similar to a "near miss" when driving through traffic, though I have no idea how close you have to be to a wreck for it to count as a crash escape.

B-Dex

I'm the most wanted!

BONUS: Speed Level from SP transfers to MP so I was SL 28 and had all the cars available. Just need to unlock the mods for each car now.... well the ones I want to use.

OmegaZero

No, it's called a crash escape. You avoid any wrecks in front of you. It's vaguely similar to a "near miss" when driving through traffic, though I have no idea how close you have to be to a wreck for it to count as a crash escape.

Well, that's going to be based on luck then. :/
Oh well, thanks for the clarification.

Skyzard

Banned
It's a bit harder with the vita with only on/off acceleration and brakes (R & L triggers - controls can't be remapped) - I know it's pretty obvious but I keep having to remind myself - when you don't know how the corner is going to pan out, or you don't know what the hell is coming up, let go of the gas :p ! You'll get a lot more control and it only really has to be for a second or so, just a quick tap to get that extra control and to avoid whatever, makes changing lanes really quick and easy too.

I'm enjoying the car handling, feels ideal on the vita. They have a nice weight to them, drifting isn't too arcadey but still really fun - infact it feels solid (except they don't spin out of control (thankfully ;). Great car selection, big one missing being ferraris but some great porsches and a decent collection that feel unique to drive and are mostly fun - or can be adapted to your liking with a few mods. Glad the cars look really good at least!

Xander51

I decided to pick this up on the Vita in spite of hesitating before, and I'm glad that I did, the game is amazing! Had to tear myself away from it. My username is Xander51 if anyone wants to add me, didn't see a list for Vita players in the OP.

EDIT: That's my Origin name also, so people can add me there just for leaderboard stuff right? I'm a little confused about how that works.

Skyzard

Banned
Yeah it's a bit confusing with it being tied to origin..not sure about it that way but I added you through psn - that works as you'd expect.

DonMigs85

I've had the HUD disappear twice on the Origin version. I can't press start or see any objectives so I have to just Alt-F4.

Yeah something similar happened in my PS3 version, first the HUD wouldn't appear, then pressing start froze the game rather than go to the pause menu.

Xander51

Yeah it's a bit confusing with it being tied to origin..not sure about it that way but I added you through psn - that works as you'd expect.

Yeah it's a cool idea to allow you to compete against friends' scores cross-platform that way, but they could really do a better job of exposing it to the player. Aside from that opening confirmation screen, I've seen nothing about it.

ryushe

It's open world?!

Aww fuck. Couldn't get in Burnout Paradise for that same reason. Loved Hot Pursuit, though.
Don't let that turn you away. I disliked Paradise for the same reason, but Most Wanted is a lot more structured in that regard and the layout and feel of the races is more in tune with Hot Pursuit than it is Paradise. It's just incased in an open world traping compared to the stage select one Hot Pursuit had.

bs000

Some fun things I just found out:

You don't need an online pass to play online, but it doesn't allow you to unlock most of anything.

Also your speed points are shared between platforms (at the very least, 360 & PC). So when you go online you have all your cars. Doesn't seem to carry over anything else, but if you just want to play online, you'll have all your cars :D

Addnan

Is there a way to turn off all this auto-braking? The game helps way too much with braking, can't seem to find anything in the settings :/

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There is a billboard on top of a building that I can't work out how to get. It's a DICE one, and there are two others you can get from the same building top. But this one is higher up than any surface I can find. Anyone know which one I'm talking about?

Btw, how does autolog handle billboards & gates when you're playing on two systems? Does it just use the higher of the two figures?

leng jai

I'm actually more interested in the Vita version of this than the PC version after these impressions. I can imagine this being perfect for a handheld. The only disappointing thing is the sub resolution. What's up with there being barely any Vita games being native resolution? LBP, Ridge Racer, Uncharted and Wipeout all failed to achieve this.

The price on AU PSN is a whopping $70 as well.

darkwing

there's nothing like lying on the bed playing the game before going to steep

hello insomnia

and oh, the Vita screen is too bright when it's completely dark

yeah typing on the Vita

I'm actually more interested in the Vita version of this than the PC version after these impressions. I can imagine this being perfect for a handheld. The only disappointing thing is the sub resolution. What's up with there being barely any Vita games being native resolution? LBP, Ridge Racer, Uncharted and Wipeout all failed to achieve this.

The price on AU PSN is a whopping $70 as well.

You shouldn't be. IMO the Vita version feels like a mediocre replica of the full game. The full game is there, but visually a ton is lost.

So if visuals mean nothing to you, sure, the Vita version is fine, but otherwise I would always recommend the console/PC versions instead.

Digital Foundry finally delivered their technical analysis of the game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-need-for-speed-most-wanted-face-off

Digital Foundry said:
In terms of that crucial playability factor, the PS3 wins out by a close margin in our performance tests, though neither is a particular let-down in delivering on the v-synced 30FPS target. Perhaps a larger issue would be the length of the loading screens on each platform, where the 360 can ready the game's levels twice as quickly as the rival console when installed to the HDD. This may come as the most salient point for the competitive players, who will be determined to retry a level several times to beat a high score.

But much like DICE's Battlefield 3, it's the PC version of Most Wanted that ultimately serves as the reference point for technical design - even though powerful kit is required to show this game running at its absolute best. The console versions run at graphical settings equivalent to the PC's lowest in most regards, most noticeably with the pixellated alpha effects that crop up. The PS3 and 360 offerings are eminently playable, but more than ever, the challenges Criterion faced in fulfilling the game's visual potential shows a need for fresh, new console hardware.

Apparently the PS3 version also has a bug that stops it from showing sparks when your car rubs against guard rails.

I really hope that Criterion lets loose even more with any possible DLC released. I'd like to see some crazy single player/multiplayer game modes that are in the same arena as some of those Ambush mode intros.

netBuff

I really hope that Criterion lets loose even more with any possible DLC released. I'd like to see some crazy single player/multiplayer game modes that are in the same arena as some of those Ambush mode intros.

I'd really like a "more police"-DLC, it's what this game sorely needs: With this content pack installed, police will be in pursuit of you whenever you are in-game with no chance of escape. Being touched by a police car will take you down instantly.
Or, maybe, "the grinder": Races for all cars have to be completed three times to unlock car features.
Or "the disconnector": Autolog will disconnect even more often, seconds before completing a speed list multiplayer sessions will automatically end.
Or maybe the "no fun" pack: After we've already taken out daring crashes and roll-overs because we've implemented licensed cars, you will have to follow the rules of the road (includes putting on the seat-belt after turning on the motor) or risk an instant take down.

SmokyDave

You shouldn't be. IMO the Vita version feels like a mediocre replica of the full game. The full game is there, but visually a ton is lost.

So if visuals mean nothing to you, sure, the Vita version is fine, but otherwise I would always recommend the console/PC versions instead.
You mean it looks like a mediocre replica, not feels like one.

I wish there was a 3DS version to put the Vita version into proper perspective.

I'd really like a "more police"-DLC, it's what this game sorely needs: With this content pack installed, police will be in pursuit of you whenever you are in-game with no chance of escape. Being touched by a police car will take you down instantly.
Or, maybe, "the grinder": Races for all cars have to be completed three times to unlock car features.
Or "the disconnector": Autolog will disconnect even more often, seconds before completing a speed list the session will automatically end.
Or maybe the "no fun" pack: After we've already taken out daring crashes and roll-overs because we've implemented licensed cars, you will have to follow the rules of the road (includes putting on the seat-belt after turning on the motor).

Not a big fan of the game, eh?

Top Bottom