• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

You mean it looks like a mediocre replica, not feels like one.

I wish there was a 3DS version to put the Vita version into proper perspective.

No, I'd even say it even feels mediocre to an extent. As I and others have explained prior, the lower resolution and dithering effects make faster turns quite difficult to spot at times. This makes the game harder to play IMO.

Mikor

I'd really like a "more police"-DLC, it's what this game sorely needs: With this content pack installed, police will be in pursuit of you whenever you are in-game with no chance of escape. Being touched by a police car will take you down instantly.
Or, maybe, "the grinder": Races for all cars have to be completed three times to unlock car features.
Or "the disconnector": Autolog will disconnect even more often, seconds before completing a speed list multiplayer sessions will automatically end.
Or maybe the "no fun" pack: After we've already taken out daring crashes and roll-overs because we've implemented licensed cars, you will have to follow the rules of the road (includes putting on the seat-belt after turning on the motor) or risk an instant take down.

Well, that went from passive to aggressive quickly.

i-zombie

Neo Member
After playing a bit more I have to say the lack of any real damage besides blown tires is a bummer. I remember all the way back with Porsche Unleashed the NFS series already had damage which affected handling. The decision to leave it out is baffling.

After playing a bit more I have to say the lack of any real damage besides blown tires is a bummer. I remember all the way back with Porsche Unleashed the NFS series already had damage which affected handling. The decision to leave it out is baffling.

I find it funny how I can run full speed into a building and the frame of the car doesn't crumple at all. Broken windows and scratched body, yeah, but that's it. The Xbox Burnouts with the accordion-like crumpling on head-on impacts was spot-on.

Kiraly

I find it funny how I can run full speed into a building and the frame of the car doesn't crumple at all. Broken windows and scratched body, yeah, but that's it. The Xbox Burnouts with the accordion-like crumpling on head-on impacts was spot-on.

Because manufacturers don't allow their cars in games to be shredded to pieces.

Xander51

I think the lack of car crumpling also has to do with the decision to put people in the cars. Criterion has always been careful about that for ratings concerns. It's why the rider just vanishes from bikes in Burnout Paradise when you crash.

Games have had licensed cars with damage before. Heck, Forza Horizon has much more crumpling than this game. I'm still having a good deal of fun with it.

Almost all of the recent Need for Speed games have been more focused on arcade fun instead of realism and did not include mechanical damage. Including the first "Most Wanted" game 7 years ago.

You should only be "baffled" if you haven't been paying attention.

I can only imagine the lessened crashes were the result of having licensed cars in the game. And if that's the case, I would have preferred they hadn't gone that way, but this is Need for Speed, not Burnout.

They should have made a new Burnout game instead of this.

I'm loving this game completely. I also love the ability to play on 360 and my Vita. I don't even mind that I'm basically re-playing the SP races twice - it actually helps me memorize the layout of the city. So much fun!

Also, once again - looking for some more Vita PSN players to add to my speedwall :
PSN ID : CloakedPuppet

btkadams

No, I'd even say it even feels mediocre to an extent. As I and others have explained prior, the lower resolution and dithering effects make faster turns quite difficult to spot at times. This makes the game harder to play IMO.

i couldn't disagree more. i have the ps3 and vita versions and i've been finding myself playing it more on the vita. it's certainly a visual downgrade, but i might even prefer playing the vita one for its portability. i'm also somewhat of a whore and like to have something playing on a tv while i game, so the vita version lets me do that ha.

it is the same game, minus the visuals, is it not? it is what it feels like to me.

This game is awesome! Just got it off PSN.

The opening was cool, the car, the setting, the song really set the mood. What was it called btw?

gillty

Banned
I honestly don't get this game, played this last night at a friends.

Worst handling model I can recall in an arcade racer.
Zero personality, and incorporates pretty much nothing form the original Most Wanted.

How this game comes from the same studio that made Paradise and Hot Pursuit is baffling.

billsmugs

It's a shame they removed the barrel rolls and flatspins from Burnout. I'd read before the release that barrel rolls were out due to car makers not wanting their cars to be shown rolling or flipping, but that happens all the time in crashes, so why not during gameplay? Surely manufacturers would prefer to show rolling in the context of deliberate stunts as opposed to insane crashes?

kitch9

Banned
Are people still whining that the Vita version doesn't look like the console versions in here. .?

Games a technical marvel for a handheld.

Are people still whining that the Vita version doesn't look like the console versions in here. .?

Strawman argument there.

Warning people they should not expect the exact console experience on the Vita is not "whining". It's telling it like it is.

fernoca

Not me, loving it. Heck, I even prefer that there are less cars around so I can focus on actually winning. :p

I still crash a ton and police chases are quite hectic too. My car ended all fucked up and with no tires. XD

Skyzard

Banned
Yeah, I really am not that disappointed at all, doesn't even look that bad!

I added a few people who asked to be added on vita.

About the crashing - I agree it's a bit lame when the car doesn't crumple...licensed cars ok ok - I guess it is enough that there are bumps and scruff on your car after an accident that I like to go repair afterwards.

The map - I've been driving around looking for the funnest hotspots....and I'm struggling a bit, there aren't that many fun locations? The roads are nice to race on, but for messing around I feel a bit let down by the jumps and ramps.
So we have Hodges airfield with like 3-4 similar jumps, ripleys point...not much there, mcclane is a bit of fun, am I missing a major fun section? The map feels way too NFS not enough BP. And I agree about the silly missing barrel rolls - the car just hangs straight in the air when you attempt to pull it off.

Obviously still enjoying it and I also feel like it is perfect for the vita.. Maybe I'm remembering BP wrong, will give it a load up later.

Pretty sure wipeout 2048 was native res as well, leng jai, (it does have autodescaling though - see it quite a bit in A+ races). I thought Ridge Racer was native too.

Hopefully vita gets in on the DLC and they add more races and preferably new locations :p

SmokyDave

Strawman argument there.

Warning people they should not expect the exact console experience on the Vita is not "whining". It's telling it like it is.
If anyone expected the exact same visuals as the consoles they deserve to be disappointed.

It's probably the best looking and sounding handheld racer ever made.

Razgreez

Zero personality, and incorporates pretty much nothing form the original Most Wanted.

How this game comes from the same studio that made Paradise and Hot Pursuit is baffling.

To be fair to this game the handling model is similar to HP so it's weird people who loved that are hating the handling here

OmegaZero

Yeah something similar happened in my PS3 version, first the HUD wouldn't appear, then pressing start froze the game rather than go to the pause menu.

Happened to my Vita version.
HUD disappeared after I pressed L+R at a race.
Then the game froze when I pressed start.

It feels to me that they've intentionally crippled the handling in the stock versions of the cars to make you repeat those boring races to unlock mods. After you get better tires and a body mod, the handling improves and you won't get wrecked at the drop of a hat. I've upgraded my Carrera S with mods and I've unlocked pro versions of them and the car feels a lot better now than it was at the start of the game. Of course, it also means that every new stock car I find handles like shit in comparison to this car so I'm not at all motivated to drive the new cars at all :\

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
How easy is it to navigate from A to B during the races? It may just be the beginning races, but the routes on the clips I've seen seem more straightforward than the ones in BP. The checkpoints might be helping as well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You shouldn't be. IMO the Vita version feels like a mediocre replica of the full game. The full game is there, but visually a ton is lost.

So if visuals mean nothing to you, sure, the Vita version is fine, but otherwise I would always recommend the console/PC versions instead.

Of course the console versions will look better. Of course the PC versions will look better.

I find the type of game, and the use of autolog, suits a handheld game really well. So I'd have no problems recommending the vita version to anyone (unless they specifically asked for an impossible level of graphics and didn't care about the gameplay)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How easy is it to navigate from A to B during the races? It may just be the beginning races, but the routes on the clips I've seen seem more straightforward than the ones in BP. The checkpoints might be helping as well.

More straightforward than BP, but I've been caught out when a fairly gently winding course suddenly takes a sharp corner and I overshoot. You have to look at the minimal too often and I don't like that. Does the car flash its indicators like in BP to give you a hint?

So how do I see my progress through Speed Levels? My SP points say 16k but Ive already accumulated over 100k points doing singleplayer things.

So how do I see my progress through Speed Levels? My SP points say 16k but Ive already accumulated over 100k points doing singleplayer things.

by the end of SP you should have just over a million. (the last most wanted race requires nearly that many SP).

One of the few arcade racing games where the SP actually helps in MP.

by the end of SP you should have just over a million. (the last most wanted race requires nearly that many SP).

One of the few arcade racing games where the SP actually helps in MP.

I know. But my singleplayer SP doesn't display on my total SP. I have 11% completion rate and compared it to my friend who has 2%, he has 55K SP.

Goldrusher

To be fair to this game the handling model is similar to HP so it's weird people who loved that are hating the handling here
The problem is the dynamic camera. It's too loose.
But it's only the camera.

You get used to it, though it can get annoying at high speeds, turning the game into a bit of jet ski experience as I've mentioned a few days ago.
The camera is constantly going up and down, left and right. It's as if you're battling waves.

Look at this segment and you'll understand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrfKb4o-Cbc#t=70s
(start watching at 1:10)

But the actual handling and the weight of the cars is fine.

Bgamer90

Banned
Beat the main objectives of single player (get all Most Wanted cars). Was fun but a bit short. Still have a lot of content though, especially online. Online is very addictive; a ton of replay value.

Beat the main objectives of single player (get all Most Wanted cars). Was fun but a bit short. Still have a lot of content though, especially online. Online is very addictive; a ton of replay value.

I played 1 game and I landed in a mode where we we had to jump on a roof, half the people couldn't make it.

kitch9

Banned
Strawman argument there.

Only a complete and utter mentalist retard would expect a console that runs on a 5watt battery to look the exact same as a 100watt console.

With regards the actual gameplay, everything is pretty much there.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Only a complete and utter mentalist retard would expect a console that runs on a 5watt battery to look the exact same as a 100watt console.

Some games do look the same. But NFS:MW is not one of them.

Of course the console versions will look better. Of course the PC versions will look better.

I find the type of game, and the use of autolog, suits a handheld game really well. So I'd have no problems recommending the vita version to anyone (unless they specifically asked for an impossible level of graphics and didn't care about the gameplay)

I'd have no problem recommending the Vita version either. I've only spoken up when people say things suggesting they plan on buying the Vita version instead of the console version, because they think they're equal experiences. I don't believe they are, at all. The compromises to the Vita versions graphics are substantial, and a number of people have spoken up at the shock the first time they played it.

The problem is the dynamic camera. It's too loose.

accelerate, camera zooms out
brake, camera zooms in
shift, camera shifts
jump, camera raises
land a jump, camera drops
etc

Couple that with very sensitive controls and the camera quickly is all over the place, giving you the impression that the handling is a bit wonky.

But it's only the camera.

You get used to it, though it can get annoying at high speeds, turning the game into a bit of jet ski experience as I've mentioned a few days ago.
The camera is constantly going up and down, left and right. It's as if you're battling waves.

Look at this segment and you'll understand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrfKb4o-Cbc#t=70s
(start watching at 1:10)

But the actual handling and the weight of the cars is fine.

I think Criterion tried to inject "realism" into this game in certain ways. The blinding sunlight, which does exist in real life. The dirty camera filter that shows dirt and debris. This camera movement is just another element of that. If you were traveling at 200mph on city streets it would feel a little crazy, and the car a little squirrely. I think they attempted to mimic that just a bit, and I think they succeeded. It should feel a little dangerous to drive that fast.

You're very consistent with the strawman statements. I never said or suggested the Vita version should look exactly like the console versions, so why are you arguing like I did?

I have just made a point of warning people that make statements suggesting they believe the Vita version is a replacement for the console version of the game. It is, to a degree, but it's also dramatically less beautiful, and even a little harder to play because of the loss of resolution and clarity.

There has been so much positivity from some people about the Vita version that I'm afraid it's leading some people to believe it's going to deliver more than it will. So I've stepped in to try and give them a more clear idea of what to expect from it.

ryushe

So, other than losing the SP I've accumulated while being in pursuit, is there any real drawback for getting busted?

I mean, I even got a trophy and hit some milestones by finally getting busted, soooo...

Edit:
Finally got my Porsche 911 Turbo 3.0 fully upgraded. Just have to work on those pro parts. :)

8155484096_79022b3169_z.jpg

I love this car and I love this game!

So, other than losing the SP I've accumulated while being in pursuit, is there any real drawback for getting busted?

I mean, I even got a trophy and hit some milestones by finally getting busted, soooo...

Edit:
Finally got my Porsche 911 Turbo 3.0 fully upgraded. Just have to work on those pro parts. :)

8155484096_79022b3169_z.jpg

I love this car and I love this game!

There really isn't a drawback... but who likes to get pulled over? AMIRITE? :p

daviyoung

Banned

Yeh, your car resets to its original place on the map. Which is pretty frustrating if get within metres of an event start and the cops decide they don't like you.

Also, can't you upgrade further by getting all those up to Pro level?

BFIB

I haven't picked up the game on the 360 yet, but I did get the mobile version. Need some competition, add me, username jsebol80.

ryushe

There really isn't a drawback... but who likes to get pulled over? AMIRITE? :p

Yeh, your car resets to its original place on the map. Which is pretty frustrating if get within metres of an event start and the cops decide they don't like you.
So, no "real" drawback then. :p

Also, can't you upgrade further by getting all those up to Pro level?
Yeah, that's all I need to do next. But just requires playing the game and not racing, so that's why I didn't count it before. I do love that they added pro parts, though. That makes an already meaty game (I think it is, at least) even more meatier.

Then again, I'm primarily and RPG player, so I actually enjoy grinding.

netBuff

Not a big fan of the game, eh?

Actually, I'm quite fond of the game so far - I was just shining a light on some of the problems the games has. I don't think the grinding is that big of a deal, I dig these types of casual challenges in racing games. But I'd like progression in singleplayer and multiplayer to be linked.

Criterion also should have offered the option of an optional install on the PS3, load times are sometimes excrutiatingly long.

The police is the only real annoyance in singleplayer - unfortunately a really big drawback.

Top Bottom