• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

Vita version looks great.
Seeing as its only a first generation game, what kind of graphical improvements could we see in a few years to a game like this?

Amon37

Ok I'm running into the fact that you find a cool car, finally complete all 5 races so you have your choice of mods... Then what? Let's do some more races. Nope. Let's take the car online. Nope. Any more most wanted races left. Nope. Oh I can drive around looking for gates and billboards, ugh.

kitch9

Banned
I've had no autolog issues whatsoever on the Vita version. It disconnects when I pop the Vita in sleep mode but then reconnects quickly once I boot it back up.

Blimey Charlie!

I had no idea, I always mute the music in racing games.

Vita superior version confirmed.

maybe native resolution one day.

Oh is it only the vita which has none native res games? It should really follow the example of the consoles!

I'm trying to find NFS MW 2005 but its hard to find and ebay is expensive, one dude is selling his copy for $100.

How is the pc version on that? Does it have any graphics mods to make it look better?

100$? what platform?

i have 2 copies for PC if you need one.

360 and PS2 copies are available for like 15$ on eBay.

ryushe

I don't even.... What?
He's not wrong, though. It's more focused and way more fun at being an actual racer than Paradise was.

The best thing about Paradise is the same thing I love about the GTA games after I finish the main story -- And that's racing around, exploring the world, looking for secrets all while fucking shit up.

Any word on patches? The more I play this game, the more buggy is seems ( installed 360 version on 360 HALO slim ). Especially the menu is slow ( it takes ages for your inputs to be registered ) and the audio in the menu is a mess. About the framerate :when leaving a tunnel, the game freezes for a sec, and then picks up.

Come one Criterion. Fix this sh*t and lock the framerate while you're at it.

daviyoung

Banned
PC version is glitchy, it spawned me on top of a building at the start of a race. They need to fix many things, and hopefully they'll be rolling out patches soon.

bs000

In the FAQ it says there's 48 cars online. Does that mean there's more to unlock maybe through Concours, or do they just mean the pre-modded limited edition and pre-order cars?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm enjoying the single player progression in this a whole lot more than I had expected. The city is way more interesting than it initially seems and a lot more fun to explore than Burnout Paradise. The simply concept of finding cars while completing a series of races in each car is really neat as well.

lowemark

Autolog seems more stable today. (PS3)
I just played singleplayer for two hours and it didn't disconnect once.
Or maybe I was just lucky.

If the streaming can't keep up, that's not necessarily a sign of a defective optical drive is it?
I remember on my old PS3, the disc-based Burnout Paradise or Red Dead Redemption could also freeze if you went a little too fast.

The game just has some streaming issues. Two or three times the game couldn't even load the damn road in time when I was playing. :p
Another reason why I wish the game would install to the HDD.

Iv come out of tunnels at 200mph and the game has just froze for 5 or more seconds trying to load shit, This is on a 60gb ps3.

Many times I am going so fast, that I will fall through world that wasn't streamed in yet
KuGsj.gif

Following this thread from day one I've really got the impression the PS3 version just can't keep up when it's streaming from the disc. Lots of people have mentioned these problems, and I've seen none of them while playing on the Xbox with the game installed.

and for that reason I really got the feeling while reading this face-off yesterday that the guy didn't do a great job with this one. This is the new guy at Digital Foundry, and he seemed to gloss over these streaming issues entirely, and even the hitching which is present in both consoles versions.

"Hitching" being when the game pauses for a split second. I think this occurs when the game engine is just being asked to do a little too much and it hiccups for a split second because of it. I notice it happening when the game is spawning a lot of cops suddenly, or sometimes just traveling around the city while it needs to load in new parts of the environment.

But like I said, I have yet to see the world actually loading in before my eyes, and the game not keeping up in that way, on the Xbox.

I just had a quick look on ebay and sawa new sealed copy for $100 lol, 360 version.

Is your copy digital version?

No, disc releases. The other one might even be in plastic wrappers (used to work for EA)

I have a 360 version too but it crashes during the initial load, rare case of a broken DVD :(

"Hitching" being when the game pauses for a split second. I think this occurs when the game engine is just being asked to do a little too much and it hiccups for a split second because of it. I notice it happening when the game is spawning a lot of cops suddenly, or sometimes just traveling around the city while it needs to load in new parts of the environment.

I've mostly noticed these hiccups when the game was loading a new song. There was also a race I had to restart a couple of times and it would have that mini freeze every time about three seconds into the race.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Following this thread from day one I've really got the impression the PS3 version just can't keep up when it's streaming from the disc. Lots of people have mentioned these problems, and I've seen none of them while playing on the Xbox with the game installed. 

After reading all the posts you've quoted I am starting to wonder if it's the hdd speed and/or cache as well. I bought a 160gb slim back in Dec 09 and replaced the drive about 5 months ago from the standard 5400rpm with 16mb cache to a 500gb 7200rpm 32mb cache and have had zero problems. No hitching, all textures and roads loaded, even menus are snappy and responsive. Only delay is after a race has been competed it can take around 5-10secs before I get a hud but I put that down to saving + synching to the EA servers.

Ban Puncher

They aren't bad but the song selection is way too small. You could easily get tired of even the songs that you like in one playthrough. There's really no reason at this point to not have a huge variety of songs in racing games. GT5 had 189 songs from basically every genre that you could think of.

Agreed. After hearing the same songs a bunch of times while playing it does start to become irritating. Now I just play with the music turned off. A bigger tracklist would of helped prevent the music getting stale fast.

red731

Agreed. After hearing the same songs a bunch of times while playing it does start to become irritating. Now I just play with the music turned off. A bigger tracklist would of helped prevent the music getting stale fast.

You know you can have custom music right?
Before you launch the game, create playlist, throw sooooongs in and then in game, select playlist in audio settings.
On ps3, surely it will be the same on 360.

dark10x

and for that reason I really got the feeling while reading this face-off yesterday that the guy didn't do a great job with this one. This is the new guy at Digital Foundry, and he seemed to gloss over these streaming issues entirely, and even the hitching which is present in both consoles versions.

But like I said, I have yet to see the world actually loading in before my eyes, and the game not keeping up in that way, on the Xbox.
I'm also disappointed that they did not take a look at the Vita version. We all know most of the compromises that have been made, but I'm fascinated by how they went about translating the game to much less powerful hardware.

I'm also disappointed that they did not take a look at the Vita version. We all know most of the compromises that have been made, but I'm fascinated by how they went about translating the game to much less powerful hardware.

Yeah, I was a little surprised by that as well. I figured they would include the Vita version.

jyoung188

Anyone getting disconnected from autolog on the pc? I played for like an hour this morning and got a ton of sp before I realized that I wasn't connected. Then when I re-connected I went from 2nd on the most wanted list to 3rd -__- then I played for another half an hour and got disconnected again wtf.

This game is just a blast to play - single and multiplayer. I haven't had this much fun with a racer since the original Hot Pursuit on PS2. I won't knock Burnout Paradise (which was and is a great game) but I enjoyed Black Box's Most Wanted more. Criterion's Most Wanted just seems like a polished, more engaging blend of both games. (win win!!!)

Anyone getting disconnected from autolog on the pc? I played for like an hour this morning and got a ton of sp before I realized that I wasn't connected. Then when I re-connected I went from 2nd on the most wanted list to 3rd -__- then I played for another half an hour and got disconnected again wtf.

Everyone is suffering from this issue!

Origin is downloading an update for NFSMW

So whats the consensus on the vita version? Is it as good as the platform releases? I was thinking of getting it when I pick up my vita this week.

btkadams

So whats the consensus on the vita version? Is it as good as the platform releases? I was thinking of getting it when I pick up my vita this week.

the graphics are a definite step down from the console versions, but i have been having a blast with it. i have put way more time into it than the ps3 version. i definitely recommend it!

dark10x

Hmmm, after fiddling with the game for a while, I've found that the only sure fire way to completely eliminate all slowdown in the game is to run at 1280x720. Yep, that sounds rough, but when viewed on a 50" Kuro from 7ft away it's plenty clean (though it looks terrible when viewed from close proximity on my higher resolution 27" PC monitor).

At 1280x720 I get 99.9% consistent 60 fps even in all of the trouble areas. This at least allows all of the details to be turned back up. In some shots, turning things all the way down doesn't seem to have a huge impact, but in reality, there are a lot of things that go missing. Reflections were a huge one. Anything other than high eliminates the awesome road reflections.

If I drop some settings down (including reflections) I can use 1080p with mostly solid 60 fps. Turning those back up results in dips in a number of areas that ultimately winds up ruining fluidity. It's pretty annoying, no doubt.

zulfate

Man this game is amazing when i am high as fuck put in some good electronic music like lovelock or deadmau5 and you are good to go!

For soundtracks, it's pretty cool that with Music Unlimited you can basically create your own soundtrack of almost any song (say, all good Muse songs ;) ) and then sync it offline, and use it as your custom sountrack on the Vita ... Pretty neat. Of course you can also just use any MP3. Personally I'm mostly listening to podcasts while I'm gaming, which works neatly as well. Here it has another advantage over the PS3 version, because you don't actually need to have a playlist. The only small pauses you get for the custom songs are when something in the game triggers a mini-video, like switching car-brands. That's just a few seconds though and it resumes gracefully.

JRW

Hmmm, after fiddling with the game for a while, I've found that the only sure fire way to completely eliminate all slowdown in the game is to run at 1280x720. Yep, that sounds rough, but when viewed on a 50" Kuro from 7ft away it's plenty clean (though it looks terrible when viewed from close proximity on my higher resolution 27" PC monitor).

At 1280x720 I get 99.9% consistent 60 fps even in all of the trouble areas. This at least allows all of the details to be turned back up. In some shots, turning things all the way down doesn't seem to have a huge impact, but in reality, there are a lot of things that go missing. Reflections were a huge one. Anything other than high eliminates the awesome road reflections.

If I drop some settings down (including reflections) I can use 1080p with mostly solid 60 fps. Turning those back up results in dips in a number of areas that ultimately winds up ruining fluidity. It's pretty annoying, no doubt.

I can't for the life of me tell any difference between High & Low Geometry detail even after recording comparison movies & screenshots w/ FRAPS, so I'm not sure why it has such a big performance hit on High. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right areas of town.

fernoca

Awww...
Had problems with Origin as the Vita game/PSN account was automatically tied to an old account.

Today, EA support transferred the account (quite fast and friendly guy, no complaints), only now I can't connect to Autolog. :(

Deleted the game data, patch, save, restarted/installed the game/patch. Back to the intro...and still nothing. Waiting on a new response from support.

If anyone knows a work around, let me know. (again, Vita version)

Skyzard

Banned
Those hitches/hiccups (momentary freezes (quite regular)) seem to happen mostly when connected to autolog for me on vita as well. Hardly ever any issues at all offline. Did that PC patch fix those hiccups?

It feels like it's mostly near billboards/speed cameras - starting to think there's a bug with the friendslist leaderboards on all those things - pulling too much data or inefficiently..

I'm thankful that the description for the achievement for the "Finish first in every race, in every car" requirement is somewhat incorrect.

You only need to get 1st in each of the events once. Not get gold on all 5 races per each car.

Some of the events, like Turf War, Needle Point, or ambushes in the freakin' Atom, just flat out stink.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm thankful that the description for the achievement for the "Finish first in every race, in every car" requirement is somewhat incorrect.

You only need to get 1st in each of the events once. Not get gold on all 5 races per each car.

Some of the events, like Turf War, Needle Point, or ambushes in the freakin' Atom, just flat out stink.

So I don't have to 5 x whatever many cars are in the game? Holy shit, #gamechanger

Cause man, that's a lot of races, and some cars are just shit

DonMigs85

I can't for the life of me tell any difference between High & Low Geometry detail even after recording comparison movies & screenshots w/ FRAPS, so I'm not sure why it has such a big performance hit on High. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right areas of town.

It must be rendering a lot of occluded stuff or isn't as aggressive with level-of-detail adjustments or something.

OmegaZero

Oh god, don't even get me started on that Atom ambush.
I must've tried at least 20 times before I got it right.

And to make matters worse, I couldn't skip the opening cutscene (Vita version btw).
Watching the cars
go backwards over and over
got much more then annoying.

Top Bottom