• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

I'm thankful that the description for the achievement for the "Finish first in every race, in every car" requirement is somewhat incorrect.

You only need to get 1st in each of the events once. Not get gold on all 5 races per each car.

Some of the events, like Turf War, Needle Point, or ambushes in the freakin' Atom, just flat out stink.

So it's actually possible.

Okay, are they serious? whenever Autolog disconnects during a loading screen it pauses the game and says "you are not connected to autolog". I can't do anything and have to restart the game. What the fuck are they thinking?!?

daviyoung

Banned
Okay, are they serious? whenever Autolog disconnects during a loading screen it pauses the game and says "you are not connected to autolog". I can't do anything and have to restart the game. What the fuck are they thinking?!?

The PC patch seems to have somehow made this worse. The game is such a buggy mess online.

Happened again...

Well, my thoughts after 5 hours:

It's a good game, but Hot Pursuit and Paradise are better, why?:

- Ambush sucks, the Police is not "fun" in this game, it's just tedious. If you want to make a mode like this, just do it as in Hot Pursuit, the Puruits there were fun.
- Hit detection is all over the place, sometimes you "slide" off a car while at 150mph, sometimes it's crash at the same angle at 100mph (same car)
- I don't really like the "find the car" stuff, I like it more to Level up and earn/buy new cars, but whatever, I knew that before buying the game.
- Some Events are just stupid and frustrating. Well, there were also frustrating events in HP and BP, but somehow it is worse here, maybe because I have to skip the GODDAM cinematic EVERY TIME I want to retry an event (which extents loading times by 5-10 secs).
- Fix your stupid Autolog
- Give me an overview when I select cars. I want to know what events I beat with them and if I still have remaining events on a car (or is there something like this in the game? I can't believe that there isn't, it's just an obvious feature?!?).
- Stupid Rubber-Band AI. Same as in HP, I hate it. Get some of the Ridge Racer Unbounded guys Criterion, they still seem to know how to make it challenging without rubber-banding

- Some Events are just stupid and frustrating. Well, there were also frustrating events in HP and BP, but somehow it is worse here, maybe because I have to skip the GODDAM cinematic EVERY TIME I want to retry an event (which extents loading times by 5-10 secs).

Pretty sure HP was worse for this. Aren't the cinematics masking the loading?

Pretty sure HP was worse for this. Aren't the cinematics masking the loading?

I don't think so. It is
Loading Screen -> Cinematic (hit SELECT to skip after 2-3 secs) -> short Black Screen -> "short intro" into the race (car driving and you get control).

It should be:
Loading Screen -> "short intro" into the race (car driving and you get control).

edit: I know it's a small thing, but it just annoys me after having to restart a race the fifth time

I don't think so. It is
Loading Screen -> Cinematic (hit SELECT to skip after 2-3 secs) -> short Black Screen -> "short intro" into the race (car driving and you get control).
It should be:

Loading Screen -> "short intro" into the race (car driving and you get control).

edit: I know it's a small thing, but it just annoys me after having to restart a race the fifth time

Right, but I think that amount of loading would have to take place whether or not a cinematic played, seeing as it's just playing a movie.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
- Ambush sucks, the Police is not "fun" in this game, it's just tedious. If you want to make a mode like this, just do it as in Hot Pursuit, the Puruits there were fun.
I dunno, I'm actually really enjoying these segments. I love the feeling of the cops closing down the city on you as you look for every possible route to escape. In Hot Pursuit you basically just keep driving and aggressively battle the cops throughout the race. Most Wanted, however, actually allows you to escape and hide resulting in a vehicular game of tag. As your heat level rises the city closes itself off with more cops and obstacles to shut you down. Reacting to these and coming up with a new plan on the fly is surprisingly satisfying for me. I love the feeling of breaking off from the cops and parking my car in the basement of a factory while I can hear them driving around the streets above. The cop chases are so much more dynamic than they have ever been.

- I don't really like the "find the car" stuff, I like it more to Level up and earn/buy new cars, but whatever, I knew that before buying the game.
Come on, every game is all about "leveling up" these days so you can buy the next item. The method used here finally gives the player a real reason to explore the city and I love it! It gives the environment a sense of purpose that had been previously missing in these types of games.

I dunno, I found those complaints interesting as I feel they are two of the best things about the game.

Octacamo

Autolog automatically signout for no apparent reason i am connected to psn but autolog i have reconnect in like every fking minute...... fix this shit Cryterion

daviyoung

Banned
The police aren't really a problem once you get familiar with the map. You can lose them pretty quickly, and they're pretty dumb even in the higher bands. The trainline 'trick' doesn't work by the way, they can spot you underneath it. Knowing where to pull over and switch off your engine is key though.

Talking of switching off engines, I think in MP, while you wait for an event to begin all cars with engines switched off should be 'immune' to being nudged, moved or taken down by other cars. Just ghost them, or have them remain solid or something. Sometimes I just like to hang back and wait for the event rather than speed around the tiny event start like a dodgem car. This is worse when playing with randoms, which seems to be the only way to do it outside of friends (no server browser etc).

Autolog and random MP disconnects all the time, thank you very much.

Police should be in MP. Hopefully they're not restricting that to DLC.

Amory

Man the "Downtown Run" race is hard as shit. Even if I don't hit anything the entire time it's still hard to keep my average speed at 150 mph. I just finished at 149.7 mph and they didn't even round it up, bastards

red731

Man the "Downtown Run" race is hard as shit. Even if I don't hit anything the entire time it's still hard to keep my average speed at 150 mph. I just finished at 149.7 mph and they didn't even round it up, bastards

These races in downtown are fine. Just wait for Needle Point.
You expect it to do it in five turns?
KuGsj.gif

BVeyron NeedleP
LLShC.gif

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Damn I was in a pursuit for 20 minutes, couldn't shake the cops and got busted. I'm really bad at pursuits.

If you get a cool down, park behind a building or something and then click the left thumbstick when standing still to turn off the motor. The cooldown bar cools dramatically faster.

If you get a cool down, park behind a building or something and then click the left thumbstick when standing still to turn off the motor. The cooldown bar cools dramatically faster.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that. I need to find faster cars. The fastest I have is the Marussia.

Having so much fun, but yesterday, the weirdest bug occured. After trying to leave in the middle of the speedlist, the hud disappeared but I didn't leave online easydrive. No other buttons worked so had to use the XMB to exit out of the game. Its weird the kind of online bugs affecting the game especially after playing Hot Pursuit and not really having a problem.

Also, what's the difference between being wrecked and being "take(n)down" by another driver?

Dirk_P_Ho

Neo Member
For all the issues with this game, has their been any "official word" on its shortcomings?

Or are we going to get the typical "no response from the EA monolith"? Completely opposite from the Criterion of old...

Remember the community interaction during paradise, and to a lesser extent HP. Just some acknowledgement would do wonders here...

For all the issues with this game, has their been any "official word" on its shortcomings?

Or are we going to get the typical "no response from the EA monolith"? Completely opposite from the Criterion of old...

Remember the community interaction during paradise, and to a lesser extent HP. Just some acknowledgement would do wonders here...

Unfortunately not a word that I'm aware of. I even just checked the twitter accounts for Need for Speed, Criterion, and a couple guys on the team.

All I want to know is that they're going to at least offer up one patch to address some of the bugs. There are certainly more in this game than any previous Criterion game I've played.

Even simple things, like the boost sound effect seem to be bugged. There is basically no sound effect when you hit the boost, but I do hear it when playing on the Vita, which is why I think it's a bug.

sammy

So I picked this game up on a whim when it released (for Vita) and I couldn't be more pleased. I was apparently in the mood for a racer since I threw 15 hours into the game this weekend, online is just a bunch of stupid fun. Priceless

I downloaded a PS+ trial of the console game and holy crap it looks so much better. It's a bit easier to drive as well.

My trial went dead and I made a decision I should've made a long long time ago... I downloaded Burnout Paradise. So smooth. Talk about a masterpiece, I'll stick with this game and my Vita NFS:MW

DemonNite

anyone had any issues with their friends on another platform not showing up in their autolog? for example I play on Vita and my PS3 Most Wanted friend isn't showing up in-game. However, he tells me that he sees me and I also can see him as a friend on their NFS website. This also happens to another friend on my list so its not just one person missing...

My Vitabros are appearing though no problem.

JRW

Happened again...

Ya Its kinda cheesy how the police can keep up with you no matter what car you're driving or how crazy of a high speed turn / off-road shortcut you might take. They're always right on your tail

Skyzard

Banned
^ I've noticed (other then the repair shops/gas station/paintshop combo things) you get the most from jumps..decent amount from drifting depending on speed...same with oncoming/near misses.. but yeah jumps refill it really quick.....shame there aren't anywhere near enough jumps in this! I want way more ramps, even without BRs..

So pressing L2, R2 and L3 destroyed back tires of my Marussia wtf.

I'm not sure since I play vita version (you traitor) but I think that does the wheel spin - (brake+acceleration) and that does cause the wheels to pop, quite neat I thought.

Loving the porsche spyder 918, has great control and a decent top speed, fantastic for cruising around - it's actually controllable at those speeds.

Btw vita version does actually look decent! The only thing holding it back imo are the textures for the building shopfronts (which unfortunately are pretty much everywhere) - they are super flat - too obviously. Enough to affect the game, quite disappointing...but basically everything else looks good to me and it's ridiculous when people slam it hard for the graphics not being pc/ps3 level.

The last 6 hours playing this I've been on 65/66 speed cameras...pretty sure I can't tell where the last one is from the map - would have to just go one by one to find it I think?.... ehh think I'll leave it to chance still.

panda21

i haven't even touched the singleplayer but the MP is amazing, so glad i bought it. its fun to just play against randoms so unlike the autolog stuff from HoPu you can play it without friends.

TJP

Patch notes: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Need-for-S...es-PC-Patch-1-Nov-5th-2012/m-p/176092#U176092

Hello Need for Speed fans,

The team at Criterion has been working to improve the Need for Speed Most Wanted experience. Please see the patch notes for the PC Patch 1 below.

Patch notes - PC Patch 1 (Nov 5th 2012):

* Microsoft XBOX 360 and Logitech RumblePad2 controller no longer start vibrating after finishing a Speedlist, even when having the vibration mode off
* Certain button bindings are no longer being forgotten after restarting the game
* The game is now syncing properly again after Origin was switched between Online and Offline mode a few times
* The HUD no longer disappears when editing license plates under some circumstances
* Everyone who pre-ordered Need for Speed Most Wanted should now have access to the bonus content in-game
* The game no longer hangs on the loading screen whilst accepting an invite under some circumstances
* The game should now uninstall properly without leaving certain .dll files behind

So, big, no, BIG Paradise fan who for whatever reason skipped HP. Just now fired up this game (long story), and while not a graphics whore by any means, OMFG Criterion, WTF????? 360, btw. This is the price you pay for a new lighting model???

Sorry, but...just...damn....

I'm not sure I get entirely how this speed point business works.

I bought the game, messed around a bit, and racked up 56,000 speed points.

I noticed that it said I wasn't connected to autolog. I connected to autolog, and it dropped me down to 0 speed points, while it still says I have 56,000 SINGLE PLAYER speed points in the menu.

Turning the game on today, and connecting to autolog, it's saying I have 38,000 speed points.

The hell is going on?

Also as an addition to my last post, car upgrades are separate between SP and MP, right?

I noticed after just driving around for awhile and doing challenges with people in MP that I was getting car upgrades for the car I was driving automatically.

Is there a place to see what upgrades you already have in MP?

Maybe I'm just missing things...

Lima

So, big, no, BIG Paradise fan who for whatever reason skipped HP. Just now fired up this game (long story), and while not a graphics whore by any means, OMFG Criterion, WTF????? 360, btw. This is the price you pay for a new lighting model???

Sorry, but...just...damn....
Same here. Been playing Forza Horizon the last couple days and decided to pop in MW tonight. Holy shit looks bad. Compared to Horizon it looks like a game from a different generation. DAT aliasing.

Amon37

I don't get lockups on my ps3 what I get at high speed is traffic suddenly streamed in right in front of me because it couldn't render it quick enough and I crash with no way to avoid it.

DonMigs85

Same here. Been playing Forza Horizon the last couple days and decided to pop in MW tonight. Holy shit looks bad. Compared to Horizon it looks like a game from a different generation. DAT aliasing.

It's not THAT bad. While not as clean as Horizon it does look flashier and a bit more detailed.

I don't get lockups on my ps3 what I get at high speed is traffic suddenly streamed in right in front of me because it couldn't render it quick enough and I crash with no way to avoid it.

It's a good thing Digital Foundry's detailed analysis mentioned this, so people can make an informed purchasing decision.

Oh wait, they didn't.

It's not THAT bad. While not as clean as Horizon it does look flashier and a bit more detailed.

Yup. Horizon looks very clean and pleasant. Most Wanted's lighting and mayhem are a compelling alternative though. I think both games look great, but for different reasons.

Skyzard

Banned
Up to 22 hours on vita now, still really enjoying the game...finding the cops a bit too easy though, I was literally struggling to keep up my wanted level trying to unlock the inflatable tire pros, took so long! I hardly ever see the swat cars either..a lot of suvs, which are still a pain at least. But yeah, just a bit tame.

The vita exclusive races are seriously short (1 minute races), which I guess makes sense, but aren't all that fun to play at home - feel it lacks a few races for my liking... Hope we get some new events eventually - and that vita doesn't get left out - I can't tell you how addicting it is to have it on standby, already loaded, so that at any moment I can jump in to fairhaven in an instant and get sucked in... it's hard to put back down. Don't buy if you have exams :p Not on vita.

red731

Up to 22 hours on vita now, still really enjoying the game...finding the cops a bit too easy though, I was literally struggling to keep up my wanted level trying to unlock the inflatable tire pros, took so long! I hardly ever see the swat cars either..a lot of suvs, which are still a pain at least. But yeah, just a bit tame.

Repeat later Most Wanted races. That's the way I am doing the infa. tires pro.
Cops have those spikes on ground so one game and a replay and you should have it.

For crash escapes I am doing races and try to cause minor mayhem that I will get from unscratched.

For powershot nitros pro, I will found one cop on map, takedown him, wait for another cop, use powershot, get full nitro refill and repeat. This is happening on small area. TD one, turn and again.

^ Excellant, thanks for the tips, will try it out with the next cars. Also quite a cheap way to unlock nitro powershot pro is to run through the autoshop back and forth..

No problem.
Yea, driving thru for nitro a powershooting back to refill works too. But I love to play cat and mouse with cops and smash the living hell out of them.
Don't like that my cars are like glass to the ordinary porcelain cars.

Skyzard

Banned
^ Excellant, thanks for the tips, will try it out with the next cars. Also quite a cheap way to unlock nitro powershot pro is to run through the autoshop back and forth..

crispyben

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the MP I must say... Tried it out with Returners yesterday. Anyone figured out the "Revenge Is Sweet" perks thing?

Top Bottom