• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

Mikor

Is the Autolog on PC completely broken? 3rd day with the game on PC now, and the game disconnects from Autolog within moments after manually connecting via EasyDrive or the menu. Have yet to be able to play MP for the same issue. Anybody hear of this issue?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Regarding the handling, does the game expect you to slow down to thread the needle through cars or am I just not good at driving? I'm sliding around the road and crashing into everything.

Otherwise, I already like Most Wanted way more than Paradise.

Wonko_C

Anyone else has had GPU Crashes while playing the Vita version? It happened twice to me: The screen goes black with the "GPU Crash" message then the system turns itself off after a while. It only has happened with this game so I don't think it's my Vita.

plasmasd

Anyone else has had GPU Crashes while playing the Vita version? It happened twice to me: The screen goes black with the "GPU Crash" message then the system turns itself off after a while. It only has happened with this game so I don't think it's my Vita.

twice so far :/

DonMigs85

Got the bug for the 2nd time - HUD vanishes except for Autolog in the upper left, but pressing the dpad does nothing. Then pressing start to pause froze the game :(
I reported it to the official NFS Facebook page and they do seem to take it seriously, so hopefully Criterion is already looking into it.

man i love this game the game is so smooth on PS3 ... the vita version is not bad ..but is really held back by the vita control scheme .. both version are great it'll be very hard for me to let this one go any time soon...

fernoca

man i love this game the game is so smooth on PS3 ... the vita version is not bad ..but is really held back by the vita control scheme .. both version are great it'll be very hard for me to let this one go any time soon...

I did noticed, that I started enjoying the Vita game even more after I put this...

jptL0.jpg

...which I forgot I even had; since mine was on a cyrstal case.

Skyzard

Banned
I did noticed, that I started enjoying the Vita game even more after I put this...

jptL0.jpg

Oh man, every game is better with a grip. Especially anything that uses the anologue stick heavily. CTA grip also works great.

-=-=-

I also wrote an in-depth post about the vita version here, I noticed some where still asking.

jptL0.jpg

hum ... this looks intresting what's the name of this ?

too bad i still think the left analog is too sensitive.

cajunator

Banned
Is this just coming out on wiiU for Europe or is there a US version?
I have a Ps3/360 too so it doesnt really matter but it would be nice to know.

cajunator

Banned
WiiU version comes out next year cajunator. :)

I'll wait it out then.
forza horizon looks too fucking good and I already have those two systems to play it with. Should hold me off for a while.
Im excited that racing games seem to finally be getting back to the open road semi-arcade style. So much fun. Especially when the cars are as accurately detailed as this.

It might just be me but I prefer the look of MW better than Forza Horizon. I played the Ford GT first race and it was
Just insane. Can believe Criterion got all the lighting, particles, sparks, smashing cars, smoke etc crammed on screen. There seem to be so much happening at once. The 360 does seem to struggle at times but this is one beautiful game. Sometime I think they are pushing the system as hard as Halo 4.

Damn... I don't know if I like this game or if i hate it. On one hand it's a gorgeous arcade game with beautifully rendered licensed cars that sound good (maybe not accurate but I don't care) and control quite good. On the other hand, the ruberband AI is really infuriating and so rage inducing... I don't even try anymore to drive perfectly during the first laps of a race or at the beginning of a track. I just remain in last place for most of the race, trying not to crash too much. The AI then packs and I try to overtake all at once before the finish line. Taking other cars down is not useful, it doesn't bring any advantage as you'll see the taken down car closing on you at incredible speed some mere seconds after you crashed it. Police cars are also damn awesome. I don't even try anymore, it's a waste of time, I stop the car, let the cops bust me so can quickly return to something actually fun.

Now that's a polarizing game. I leave it raging and cursing because it's a damn cheap and unfair game yet I come back because free driving is so good... Burnout Paradise remains the better game though, there's no contest to me.

cajunator

Banned
Damn... I don't know if I like this game or if i hate it. On one hand it's a gorgeous arcade game with beautifully rendered licensed cars that sound good (maybe not accurate but I don't care) and control quite good. On the other hand, the ruberband AI is really infuriating and so rage inducing... I don't even try anymore to drive perfectly during the first laps of a race or at the beginning of a track. I just remain in last place for most of the race, trying not to crash too much. The AI then packs and I try to overtake all at once before the finish line. Taking other cars down is not useful, it doesn't bring any advantage as you'll see the taken down car closing on you at incredible speed some mere seconds after you crashed it. Police cars are also damn awesome. I don't even try anymore, it's a waste of time, I stop the car, let the cops bust me so can quickly return to something actually fun.

Now that's a polarizing game. I leave it raging and cursing because it's a damn cheap and unfair game yet I come back because free driving is so good... Burnout Paradise remains the better game though, there's no contest to me.

NFS games have always had that sort of rubberband AI. Its always been an extreme challenge staying ahead of computer controlled cars, although I found it nice in later games that those cars crashed into shit like a human player would.

NFS games have always had that sort of rubberband AI. Its always been an extreme challenge staying ahead of computer controlled cars, although I found it nice in later games that those cars crashed into shit like a human player would.
And I'm wrong as I've just found out... Taking down cars is indeed useful as it fills up instantaneously your nitrous meter. I'm relieved ^^

I hate the inertia of the game. Also, it feels much much smaller than Paradise.

And that rubber band ia, that ia that never get its tires blown out by spikes... I'm having a love hate relation with this game.

Now that I'm on top of the list, I used less than 10 cars and I have nothing to get me back at it

Hot Pursuit felt incredibly more polished, fair and fun. To bad this MW is taking the best from both Paradise and HP but for these, it's a step forward, two step back. It could have been great. It could have been...

cajunator

Banned
I hate the inertia of the game. Also, it feels much much smaller than Paradise.

And that rubber band ia, that ia that never get its tires blown out by spikes... I'm having a love hate relation with this game.

Now that I'm on top of the list, I used less than 10 cars and I have nothing to get me back at it

Hot Pursuit felt incredibly more polished, fair and fun. To bad this MW is taking the best from both Paradise and HP but for these, it's a step forward, two step back. It could have been great. It could have been...

Which Hot Pursuit?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Spent some time messing with Most Wanted 2005 and, man, the difference is astounding. It's hard to believe we've come so far since the launch of the current generation. It genuinely feels like an original XBOX game in comparison.

MMaRsu

Spent some time messing with Most Wanted 2005 and, man, the difference is astounding. It's hard to believe we've come so far since the launch of the current generation. It genuinely feels like an original XBOX game in comparison.

Yup

Gravijah

isn't it basically that?

Skidd

To people using custom playlists; What are some good tracks to listen to while playing? Trying to add some good stuff to my list here.

cajunator

Banned
And it still ran poorly even though it was basically the Xbox version in 720p.
Anyway I wonder if the Wii U version of this will have less hiccups and pop-in... They do have twice the RAM to work with.

I'm waiting to find out. not in any hurry to buy it.
Will see which version is best. This type of game doesnt disappear quickly off the shelves so it should be easy to find later on.

dkeane

To people using custom playlists; What are some good tracks to listen to while playing? Trying to add some good stuff to my list here.
I've got some Deftones, Squarepusher, Aphex Twin, playing with a couple Pantera, Mastadon, Sepultura songs thrown in. Makes my heart want to explode while racing.

UFRA

I really like the game but my main complaint is it feels too "sterile" and bland.

I can't believe I'm saying it, but I'd rather have at least a very superficial lame ass story to go along with all of this.

In the original Most Wanted, there was those little cut scenes just to show you how the #1 Most Wanted guy was a bastard and it made you hate him and want to beat him and take that BMW from him.

In this game, I feel like I'm just going through the motions, beating the MW ranks and they just feel like "another race" because there's no emotional attachment to them. They're just specific cars on a list. Beating MW #4 felt no more satisfying than #10.

Yes, there's the whole stigma of "stories" in racing games being a bad idea. But when you make a game that's based on destroying a list of racers and being the infamous most wanted guy, you need to give us some inspiration and motivation to be #1.

Other than that...the game handles just like NFS:HP from Criterion. It works, but it's weird. At high speeds I feel like the "magnet" thing is back where I swear I get pulled into traffic to my death. I wish they would have just given it more arcadey handling and not try to make the cars feel heavy and somewhat real.

Also wish they would have thought of something else for the cars as far as the races go. Every car getting only 5 races, many of which are rinse and repeat, gets old. And then my "mods" don't even show any visual changes to the car, other than the tires...

I think they made some weird decisions with this game. And why couldn't multiplayer be "instant" to get into like BP was?? That was so cool..you just flip a button and you're online. Now you have to go into a loading screen, lose your cars progress, and get a different set of cars.

Bottom line I still have fun though, so that's all that matters I guess. It will keep me occupied til something else comes along, but it certainly won't be as memorable as BP.

B-Dex

Yeah I also notice this "magnet" thing happening. I swear the traffic pulls you in sometimes. Not even just this game but a lot of "street racing" games seems to have this happen.

Skyzard

Banned
@UFRA's post: I actually feel that a lot of the mods do make a difference. I agree about the number of races being a bit low for each car and I miss the instant online too. I actually prefer the handling in this but I think the problem is that you pivot around the camera slightly when you turn at higher speeds, making it harder to tell exactly where your car is headed.

It's still very fun, but the police feel a bit too tame on the vita as well.

I think the trophy is actually evade a pursuit in ALL heat levels. SO get a pursuit to 6 evade, get it to 5 evade, get it to 4 evade, not sure though.

Yeah it was like that, its stupid though, why do I have to evade them in all heat levels. Feels like having to beat a PoP game on every difficulty for each trophy.

UFRA

@UFRA's post: I actually feel that a lot of the mods do make a difference. I agree about the number of races being a bit low for each car and I miss the instant online too. I actually prefer the handling in this but I think the problem is that you pivot around the camera slightly when you turn at higher speeds, making it harder to tell exactly where your car is headed.

It's still very fun, but the police feel a bit too tame on the vita as well.

Sorry I made a quick edit. I'm referring to visual changes as far as the mods go.

I mean, the Aero Body should give me a body kit or something different. Instead my car just twitches briefly as if something changed on it, but it looks the same. The lightweight chassis should make a roll cage appear inside the car and my interior should look gutted out or something different.

I do of course notice the performance benefits though, and they are nice.

Skyzard

Banned
Sorry I made a quick edit. I'm referring to visual changes as far as the mods go.

I mean, the Aero Body should give me a body kit or something different. Instead my car just twitches briefly as if something changed on it, but it looks the same. The lightweight chassis should make a roll cage appear inside the car and my interior should look gutted out or something different.

I do of course notice the performance benefits though, and they are nice.

Yeah I know what you mean, I had a look around trying to spot differences when I put on the body mods specifically...the car just does a 'nod' but no change :/ Still, great for a vita game..

As far as races and tweaking your cars go, its really underwhelming. The amount of races are limited, and I don't like the way you apply new stuff on your cars and what it takes to unlock them.

Other than that, solid game.

leng jai

I really like the game but my main complaint is it feels too "sterile" and bland.

I can't believe I'm saying it, but I'd rather have at least a very superficial lame ass story to go along with all of this.

In the original Most Wanted, there was those little cut scenes just to show you how the #1 Most Wanted guy was a bastard and it made you hate him and want to beat him and take that BMW from him.

In this game, I feel like I'm just going through the motions, beating the MW ranks and they just feel like "another race" because there's no emotional attachment to them. They're just specific cars on a list. Beating MW #4 felt no more satisfying than #10.

Yes, there's the whole stigma of "stories" in racing games being a bad idea. But when you make a game that's based on destroying a list of racers and being the infamous most wanted guy, you need to give us some inspiration and motivation to be #1.

Other than that...the game handles just like NFS:HP from Criterion. It works, but it's weird. At high speeds I feel like the "magnet" thing is back where I swear I get pulled into traffic to my death. I wish they would have just given it more arcadey handling and not try to make the cars feel heavy and somewhat real.

Also wish they would have thought of something else for the cars as far as the races go. Every car getting only 5 races, many of which are rinse and repeat, gets old. And then my "mods" don't even show any visual changes to the car, other than the tires...

I think they made some weird decisions with this game. And why couldn't multiplayer be "instant" to get into like BP was?? That was so cool..you just flip a button and you're online. Now you have to go into a loading screen, lose your cars progress, and get a different set of cars.

Bottom line I still have fun though, so that's all that matters I guess. It will keep me occupied til something else comes along, but it certainly won't be as memorable as BP.

The game is infinitely worse due to the lack of Josie Maran..

c0Zm1c

Most Wanted borrows its free roam design from Burnout Paradise so that would probably be a better choice than Hot Pursuit, if you haven't already played it that is.

Top Bottom