• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

So what are the chances of Criterion fixing most of the issues in the game? Will this see the same kind of post-launch support that BP had?

leca

Somewhat comforted by the vita version while I'm waiting for a PC patch to resolve my (any many others) issue of the game simply sitting on the loading screen, forever...

Video here for those interested: http://youtu.be/fPDRA2QxljQ?hd=1

EA support topic in case this magically effects you one day, at present there is no solution.

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Need-for-Speed-Most-Wanted/PC-Stuck-on-loading-screen/m-p/155764#U155764

To make things worse I was able to actually play NFSMW on launch, for many hours. Then when I went back to give it a few more hours of love.....it pulls this little gem on me.

JordanKZ

The PC version is pretty damn buggy indeed. So far I've encountered:

- Horrific (at times) frame rates in the city, regardless of what detail levels/resolution used.
- Bizarre input lag issues.
- Random origin/Autolog disconnects.
- Getting stuck on loading screens for an insane amount of time.

It's super weird how this game doesn't even appear to be taxing my PC either. My GPU fans never spin up playing the game.

Jrmint

So this is my first NFS game since I don't play racers much. The look of this just really appealed to me.

Good god this game is fun. It is such a rush, the presentation aspect is just unreal. The sound of the cars, the music, the vibrant graphics. Unreal.

Also very challenging, at least for a race noobie like myself. That first most wanted chase was unreal and soooo satisfying when I got him finally.

I really like the game but my main complaint is it feels too "sterile" and bland.

I can't believe I'm saying it, but I'd rather have at least a very superficial lame ass story to go along with all of this.

In the original Most Wanted, there was those little cut scenes just to show you how the #1 Most Wanted guy was a bastard and it made you hate him and want to beat him and take that BMW from him.

In this game, I feel like I'm just going through the motions, beating the MW ranks and they just feel like "another race" because there's no emotional attachment to them. They're just specific cars on a list. Beating MW #4 felt no more satisfying than #10.

Yes, there's the whole stigma of "stories" in racing games being a bad idea. But when you make a game that's based on destroying a list of racers and being the infamous most wanted guy, you need to give us some inspiration and motivation to be #1.

Other than that...the game handles just like NFS:HP from Criterion. It works, but it's weird. At high speeds I feel like the "magnet" thing is back where I swear I get pulled into traffic to my death. I wish they would have just given it more arcadey handling and not try to make the cars feel heavy and somewhat real.

Also wish they would have thought of something else for the cars as far as the races go. Every car getting only 5 races, many of which are rinse and repeat, gets old. And then my "mods" don't even show any visual changes to the car, other than the tires...

I think they made some weird decisions with this game. And why couldn't multiplayer be "instant" to get into like BP was?? That was so cool..you just flip a button and you're online. Now you have to go into a loading screen, lose your cars progress, and get a different set of cars.

Bottom line I still have fun though, so that's all that matters I guess. It will keep me occupied til something else comes along, but it certainly won't be as memorable as BP.

I don't agree with you about the game needing a story, and I've never felt any magnet effect.

However, I agree with everything else you said.

I wish I could do more races with my favorite cars. After the 5 my only choice is the Most Wanted races, which are cool, but those don't deliver the same experience as a race with 5-7 other competitors.

I also found it odd how you couldn't jump into multiplayer like you could in BP.

So what are the chances of Criterion fixing most of the issues in the game? Will this see the same kind of post-launch support that BP had?

I think Paradise was a unique situation where EA let them experiment. They offered some nice DLC for Hot Pursuit, but it was nothing compared to BP.

Cool. So people who have both HP and MW, which one do you like more?

I think they're both great games, but for different reasons.

Graphically, Most Wanted is a clear step up, but it doesn't run as smooth as Hot Pursuit did on both consoles.

Hot Pursuit had that great cat and mouse game with the cops and racers and the various weapons they could deploy. While most of the races occurred on closed off portions of an open world, there were some events where you'd have to take down a single racer, and those events let you go anywhere til the battle was settled.

Most Wanted feels more open, and you can choose any car to roam the world, but the odd choice of only allowing you 5 races for each car really takes away from that freedom feeling that Burnout Paradise had. Still, it's a great game that I think was just a few small changes from being amazing.

UFRA

I have 1 more speed camera to find. It's going to be a nightmare to locate it....

I beat the MW #1 last night, and what happened was predictable. I got a
2 min video of generic racing/cop footage and a lady explained that I was now the "most wanted" and I should go kick my friends' asses.
This is what I mean by sterile and bland. I literally feel no different now as the "most wanted" than when I just started the game. In my mind I've been playing the game with the objective of just collecting all the cars and getting trophies. I don't even think of it as being a climb to the top of some infamous list. It might as well be just another NFS:HP, and that would have been fine.

Oh well. What they miss on, they make up for I guess with the other stuff to do. It will keep me busy for a while.

Skyzard

Banned
^ I had one more to find (for days) and cheated. I bet it's the same road.

Although it might not be..anyway here is the cheat map, you'll have to compare it to your own map for speed cameras. I circled the road it was for me (iirc).

And there's a lady? Didn't even know..skipped too many cutscenes..

A lot of stuff doesn't take when you do it either.

I've had to drive through billboards, cameras, and security gates multiple times before they registered on too many occasions. There's a billboard on the highway in the north east section of the map that runs parallel to a guard rail, and you fly through it at a relatively high angle and I had to do the damn thing nearly a dozen times with clean landings before it finally said I cleared it.

My final security gate was one I know I crashed through multiple times, because I had the jack spot behind it unlocked.

And if you use a map....be aware that some of the icons of stuff you've cleared and gotten credit for just might not light up on the map as cleared for some reason. Jump to another jackspot to reload the icons if you're having trouble with that.

I mean, none of the shit in this game works. At all. So don't be surprised if it's something you already did and the game just said "'eh, fuck it".

Duffyside

Banned
Ok, so I was really harsh on this game when I first started playing it, and I stand by that. This game is really not much fun at all for the first... six or so hours.

But once you get some better cars it starts feeling close to the game I wanted. It still has some major issues, and there is nothing more frustrating than being a few hundred yards from your destination, to mistakenly hit a car, have a cop see it, and now you're fucked. You have to run around like an asshole, or get busted and then drive back. Awful.

Ahem... uh, sorry, I meant to come in here and balance out some of my previous negativity.

Anyway, once I got the McLaren I didn't hate the game like I had, and once I finally got the Bugatti I was actually having a lot of fun pretty much all the time. Having cops notice you is a total nonissue when you can ditch Level 1 in a matter of ten seconds, if that. The event races in this game were always fun, truthfully, it was just trying to move about in the open world that was a hassle. But at this point I spend most of my time searching for the last billboards or gates, beating people who have their avatars on said billboards, etc, and I'm enjoying it.

Game should be 60fps though, and Criterion (and many other devs) really need to address this radioactive lighting thing that plagues otherwise good-looking games. Halo 4 suffers from it too -- let me look at your art, don't blind me with a yellow glow. Please.

Skyzard

Banned
^ I haven't experienced that yet on the vita but I still have a couple of billboards and gates to do.

The only thing I have noticed is when just loading back into the world after the end of the race screen - you can't trigger anything, not even through a car wash, before the red icon disappears anyway..

Jumps also didn't register if I crash-landed sometimes..or the popup was dismissed, not sure.

Also it doesn't take 6 hours to get a better car :p

I know you guys aren't fond of the tough police, but they are too tame on the vita, it's almost a non-issue at all for almost every car, especially after mods.

D-Pad

Been in two different public games today where the speedlist was just suddenly cancelled. WTH! Why is this possible?!

Also it doesn't take 6 hours to get a better car :p

Yeah that's true and probably my main problem with the game system - once you've done all the races for a single car you could basically beat all the Most Wanted events if not for the SP requirements to unlock them in the first place. The game basically goes from easy > med > hard ad-nauseum and it feels like i essentially completed all the challenge it has to offer by upgrading just a single car, and then i've got to do it again. And again.

Skyzard

Banned
^ Yep, a bit lame, I have to take a break and just go roaming around or online. Hoping to see some dlc announcements that include new races..

UFRA

Although it might not be..anyway here is the cheat map, you'll have to compare it to your own map for speed cameras. I circled the road it was for me (iirc).

And there's a lady? Didn't even know..skipped too many cutscenes..

Thanks! Found it. Mine was the one literally above and to the right of the one circled there.

UFRA

A lot of stuff doesn't take when you do it either.

I've had to drive through billboards, cameras, and security gates multiple times before they registered on too many occasions. There's a billboard on the highway in the north east section of the map that runs parallel to a guard rail, and you fly through it at a relatively high angle and I had to do the damn thing nearly a dozen times with clean landings before it finally said I cleared it.

My final security gate was one I know I crashed through multiple times, because I had the jack spot behind it unlocked.

And if you use a map....be aware that some of the icons of stuff you've cleared and gotten credit for just might not light up on the map as cleared for some reason. Jump to another jackspot to reload the icons if you're having trouble with that.

I mean, none of the shit in this game works. At all. So don't be surprised if it's something you already did and the game just said "'eh, fuck it".

What version are you playing on?

I'm on PS3 and I haven't had issues like that yet. Sometimes I've noticed it didn't tell me I got credit for a security gate when I'm in a pursuit or something during a race, but I don't know if it failed to count it necessarily.

The main issue I run into is shit not loading in time. Usually when I'm running consistently at 200+MPH, suddenly I'll come out of a tunnel and there's literally NO textures loaded yet. My car sinks through the ground, then suddenly everything appears and I crash into a wall that was below the bridge that I just fell through...aka complete bullshit.

Other times I've entered areas where it hadn't loaded yet, the game literally freezes for 3 seconds, then things pop in and suddenly I'm back at it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
what are people doing about the various targets set within the game? I think I'd be happy to win all races, because they overlap between cars. But I doubt I'd ever do the individual car targets for every car - will probably do it in one or two of my favourites though.

is there a list of the races that each car has to do, so I can figure out the best way to approach them? Eg if there is one race that is shared betwen the GTR and the Audi A1, I'll choose to do it in the GTR :) Don't really care about doing all races for all cars, I only got into the Range Rover long enough to cover off the 'drive all cars' trophy

crispyben

Does anyone know how to hit this billboard?

http://i.imgur.com/3arfk.jpg

From what I can tell, you have to be on a railroad partition that doesn't seem to have an obvious entrance. It's my last billboard too.
I can't see the image, but if it's near the shipping containers area, you can access the ramp it's on from the other end, there's a jump you can use to get up there with a run-up from some kind of booth at the exit of the shipping yard.

Goldrusher

what are people doing about the various targets set within the game? I think I'd be happy to win all races, because they overlap between cars. But I doubt I'd ever do the individual car targets for every car - will probably do it in one or two of my favourites though.

is there a list of the races that each car has to do, so I can figure out the best way to approach them? Eg if there is one race that is shared betwen the GTR and the Audi A1, I'll choose to do it in the GTR :) Don't really care about doing all races for all cars, I only got into the Range Rover long enough to cover off the 'drive all cars' trophy
See the table below. You only need to win each "event" once, and with some cars it's easier.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/ne...178381-second-nothing-trophy-requirement.html

LNTN0.png

Mileena

Banned
Is it possible to just do races online with randoms? I didn't get NFS to jump over bullshit for 3/5 events :/

Also saw Wario64 last night in a lobby (lol)

Is it possible to just do races online with randoms? I didn't get NFS to jump over bullshit for 3/5 events :/

Yeah I would like to know this (PS3 version)

Would also like to know how the hell it works out who wins overall when playing online?!

I played 6 events last night - won 2 and came 2nd or 3rd in the rest. Came last overall by a large margin - how can this happen?

Is it just based on take downs?

Also what is the best setup for a race online? Says 3,2,1 go yet cars have already well set off (hopefully in the right direction!)

Finally any idea what Move features there are in this - cant seem to find any yet the box advertises it?!

I really do love the game but there are a few things that are stopping me from really enjoying it.

Criteria really should patch the race starts to be based in an order of who got to the meet points first (as I am sure it was when I played the beta version a few months ago!)

Mileena

Banned
Agreed, the online IMO is a disaster. I've set up custom speedlists with all races and set it to not private but no one ever joins. Do they really wanna force us to play their shitty jump modes? Come on!

Forgot to add who the fcuk thought it was a good idea to let the people who have completed a race turn around and go for takedowns on those still racing?!

This isn't meant to be Destruction Derby!

Jrmint

Gonna add people from the community list tonight for autolog.

Add me if you like in the meantime.

PSN id - Palom12 Just include a note that it's from Gaf please

crispyben

So, I'm looking for my final gate (damn me for being a trophy whore), and the imprecise maps I found online coupled with the absence of a zoom function makes it almost impossible! Why don't they appear on the map once they've been found, like the speed cameras and billboards???

Speaking of which, I managed to get the trophy for smashing all billboards at 2 in the morning, but now a few days later the counter says 155/156... Anyone have tips or info on either?

D-Pad

Who else sucks at dodging traffic? :p

Also, I've found the worst events to be:

1) Every player must use the interlocking rings to jump onto some roof.

2) Every player must work together and score 40 takedowns on top of some hangar at the airfield.

3) Every other crazy-stunt event where everybody must participate a certain number of times or else the challenge fails.

PrimeRib_

Same here. It seems to be AutoLog disconnecting at random intervals. I caught on when I realized smashed billboards and gates were not registering and subsequently found myself disconnected from Autolog. The last few billboards, I made sure Autolog was connected before speeding up to smash through. Just have security gates left, but I'm feeling burned out by the repetitiveness.

Spent some time messing with Most Wanted 2005 and, man, the difference is astounding. It's hard to believe we've come so far since the launch of the current generation. It genuinely feels like an original XBOX game in comparison.

What's so different?
The car models & reflection mapping don't look too far away from each other. Neither do the buildings or the road textures.
I remember the gradient/HDR lighting being particular good the original MW.

Skyzard

Banned
Really hating these freezes on the vita version when connected to autolog. They usually happen just before the billboards/speed cameras load. Too frequent and too annoying - needs fixing for sure, tried restarting vita a few times now and no change :/

Do you guys think you'd recommend this game to me given that, although I enjoyed BP, I enjoyed NFS HP much more? I tried a trial, but it was hard to get a sense of that. To be honest, if it's more messin' around in the city than racing, I'd probably avoid it - I loved the wide open long races in HP.

Mileena

Banned
Do you guys think you'd recommend this game to me given that, although I enjoyed BP, I enjoyed NFS HP much more? I tried a trial, but it was hard to get a sense of that. To be honest, if it's more messin' around in the city than racing, I'd probably avoid it - I loved the wide open long races in HP.

It's more like Burnout Paradise to me, which is a turnoff. I just want to race but instead I get to drive 10 minutes to drift in circles for 5 minutes. The open world in MW is both good and bad tbh.

Jrmint

This DOWNTOWN RUN first race with the Lexus LFA is bullshit.

To average 130 you basically have to be completely perfect. Best I've gotten so far is 129.2. So frustrating, bc of course I need it for my burn nitrous to compete in the future races with this car.

Top Bottom