• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

Ran rp

This DOWNTOWN RUN first race with the Lexus LFA is bullshit.

To average 130 you basically have to be completely perfect. Best I've gotten so far is 129.2. So frustrating, bc of course I need it for my burn nitrous to compete in the future races with this car.

Yeah that one sucked. What I did was try to drift and turn as little as possible at the beginning of the race to get my average up and then try to not crash for the rest of it so I could slowly reach 130.

Jrmint

PSY・S;44273804 said:
Yeah that one sucked. What I did was try to drift and turn as little as possible at the beginning of the race to get my average up and then try to not crash for the rest of it so I could slowly reach 130.
Yea that's my goal.

Do you remember what your speed was coming through the tunnel at the beginning of the race? There's some big turns so its kinda tough, but I feel like you need to be over 120 coming out of there.

It's more like Burnout Paradise to me, which is a turnoff. I just want to race but instead I get to drive 10 minutes to drift in circles for 5 minutes. The open world in MW is both good and bad tbh.

Yeah I'm just not sure I find the whole structure appealing. My favorite burnout was takedown, with fixed courses and my favorite HPs were the PS one and two editions. I understands criterions trying to evolve the genre and I'm sure I'll grab this down the line - but man what happened to dazzling courses, multiple routes, and finally nailing that curve you'd been working on? I guess the market for that kind of arcade racer really is dead :(

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm down.

What do we have to do?

Just make a custom speedlist (not playlist, oops) and play through it. You just add 5 events and execute it. Takes maybe like 10-20 minutes for each of us to do it if you just pick speed events, which are like 2 minutes each.

I'm available to do it in a couple hours, like at 8:30 PT

Mix Master
Play a Custom Speedlist you have created (Multiplayer)

When you are in multiplayer, you can create a custom speedlist that consists of 5 events. To do this you have to go on the Easydrive menu and select ‘Speedlists’, then ‘Custom Speedlists’, then add 5 events to your speed list and complete them. You will earn the trophy when the 5 events have been completed.

You must be playing with other people in order to create custom speedlists.

Ran rp

Yea that's my goal.

Do you remember what your speed was coming through the tunnel at the beginning of the race? There's some big turns so its kinda tough, but I feel like you need to be over 120 coming out of there.

Sorry for the late reply. I think was around 115-120.

I like the demo. Impressive lighting effects, good sense of speed, nice sounding care engines and crashes. But the image quality could have been smoother if the game had AA. I also noticed some framerate hiccups.
There are no humans in Fairhaven City but it definitely feels alive. Much more alive than Burnout Paradise and Hot Pursuit. Will buy the game when it's discounted.

RPG

Just make a custom speedlist (not playlist, oops) and play through it. You just add 5 events and execute it. Takes maybe like 10-20 minutes for each of us to do it if you just pick speed events, which are like 2 minutes each.

I'm available to do it in a couple hours, like at 8:30 PT

I'm on right now if you guys want a 3rd. EDIT: Always helps to see that messages are 24 hours old too... >_<

The online for this seems a little more dead than Hot Pursuit was, albeit AC3 and BlOps2 are probably eating away at that.

LTWood12

Just got this in for Vita today. Holy shit this game is like crack! It's a great fit for the platform too. Good on Criterion for doing right by the platform. Activision should take notes.

Returners

Spend a lot of time back playing the PS3 version.

I didn't notice it much when I was playing the Vita version, but having the PS3 version side-by-side really brought out the difference in resolution. That said, I enjoyed every moment of the Vita version, the speedpoints I brought over allowed me to bust the Most Wanted right away.

Things that are pared back from PS3 in SP to Vita:
- no spike strips dropped from intercepters
- number of AI racers in SP. I never recalled having 10 racers in the Vita version ever.

AwShucks

I gave the demo a try. These are my impressions as a HUGE Burnout fan.

First, I haven't played Paradise in a while but from what I remember the cars were not this heavy feeling. It seems fairly difficult to steer let alone steer perfectly.

The world, while gorgeous, seems to be laid out more like a normal city than Paradise. It looks fantastic but nothing really pops like in Paradise. I must say it one more time, this game looks phenomenal.

Cops are annoying. And that was from the limited demo time.

I'm thinking about picking this up on Black Friday, but I want to go play Paradise again to see if I'd get more enjoyment from just getting the highest license rank rather than buying a new game that might look better but doesn't play as well.

Sober

Handling is mostly on a car-to-car basis. At least that's what I noticed. Don't really play many racers though, arcade or sim or otherwise. Some handle very well while others are still tanky in nature. There are some where I can zip through traffic easy but there are cars, even one of the Most Wanted - the Lexus LFA - it feels like I'm driving a tank with that sometimes.

c0Zm1c

To average 130 you basically have to be completely perfect. Best I've gotten so far is 129.2. So frustrating, bc of course I need it for my burn nitrous to compete in the future races with this car.
I beat that on my first try. Wish I could say the same for the Bugatti Veyron Needle Point speed run!

Amon37

So my ps3 version is glitching, I've beaten the
pagani
3 times and shut him down and it shows a Silver, I even beat another most wanted and nothing. Turned off the game and turned it back on beat him again, shutdown again races shows unbeaten. I sure as hell ain't starting all over.

P.S. Fuck needle point

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is it just me, or do you have to run even the medium difficulty races almost perfectly to crack the top 3? Argh!!!!!!!!!

For me the medium races are often more difficult than the hard.

Spend a lot of time back playing the PS3 version.

I didn't notice it much when I was playing the Vita version, but having the PS3 version side-by-side really brought out the difference in resolution. That said, I enjoyed every moment of the Vita version, the speedpoints I brought over allowed me to bust the Most Wanted right away.

Things that are pared back from PS3 in SP to Vita:
- no spike strips dropped from intercepters
- number of AI racers in SP. I never recalled having 10 racers in the Vita version ever.

didn't notice lack of spikes on vita. Does that make the reinflate pro tires more difficult?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Tried the PS3 demo and yeah... not feeling it. Is the handling supposed to be loose/weighty?

The sandbox is nice and it is like Burnout Paradise, yeah. But I can't seem to drift and boost around corners as easily as I can in Paradise here. Is that intentional or what?

bs000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znVFwx5GocE

I've been using this glitch to transfer mods from one car to another. That way you don't have to bother unlocking mods on a new car and all the events suddenly become incredibly easy. I just unlocked all pro mods on my Ariel Atom and am able to use them on every other car now.

First, switch to a car you already have mods unlocked on and equip the mods you want to copy. Open your map and cycle to the "Recommends" section and choose the event & car. Your mods have now been copied to the car you just chose. They're not permanent unlocks, but you'll only lose them if you change mods on that car. Even then, you can just do the glitch again to get them back. Mods will still unlock normally as you complete events with that car.

Cheating is fun :3

Jrmint

Could anyone give me an idea of where the Lamborghini Gallardo is in single player?

Maybe what car locations it is nearest too? I had it unlocked in MP somehow and loved it and would really like to do its SP content.

Wonko_C

For me the medium races are often more difficult than the hard.

didn't notice lack of spikes on vita. Does that make the reinflate pro tires more difficult?

For the pro reinflates on Vita I stayed behind one of the cop's Corvettes and they kept throwing me spike strips every few seconds.

Has anyone attempted using a steering wheel for either system?
Think the xbox speed wheel would work or is that a bad idea?

Lately holding the trigger down has been killing my hands.

Robso

Don't really play racing games so just wondering can the events get a bit hard? Even for you guys that play racers a lot?

Also, can it ever be too hard to win the race as well as escape the police once they're after you?

Skyzard

Banned
^ Can be a bit hard. Try to go for the mods straight away and unlock the pros as well. I've found a bug where I would start much further back then the other racers when I skipped a cutscene for a certain race (forgot the event) and did not press accelerate during the second shorter non-skippable cutscene! So make sure that isn't happening..

Losing cops - get out of their circle into a cool down and the go through a body shop. Also slow to a crawl and turn off the engine (L3? triangle on vita). People have been complaining about the difficulty of police in the console/pc version.

Super fun race: Jumping Jacks (Lancia, small yellow car - might want to get the burn nitrous from the previous race first though). Has a cool skipping section and a jump that goes through highway traffic.

Anyone with the vita version and not getting those short freezes when connected online (not necessarily multiplayer) - usually while loading cameras/billboards in the distance but not always. Only lasts for a short moment but definitely noticeable and only happens when connected to autolog....hope it doesn't update the times/scores each time you approach..!!! Maybe too long of a friendslist? :S

Jrmint

Don't really play racing games so just wondering can the events get a bit hard? Even for you guys that play racers a lot?

Also, can it ever be too hard to win the race as well as escape the police once they're after you?
I very rarely play racing games and I think this is a blast.

It was difficult at first but I'd say it doesn't take more than an hour or so to get your bearings.

After your initial "easy" race for the Nitrous go for the Lightweight Chassis and Track Tires that typically come from a medium event. The difference those mods make is so huge. Aero body mod is also nice but can be hard to acquire, typically comes from gold in a hard event.

Police aren't bad in the races generally. My issue with them are the events where the objective is to escape, I'm usually happy with getting a silver. They start you at a 3 heat level and can be hard to lose if you can't find anywhere to hide.

bs000

Could anyone give me an idea of where the Lamborghini Gallardo is in single player?

Maybe what car locations it is nearest too? I had it unlocked in MP somehow and loved it and would really like to do its SP content.

fXEVM.png

i-zombie

Neo Member
I picked up the Vita version last night and while the visuals took a bigger hit than I was expecting, I still stayed up waaay too late being able to play in bed.

I think they really could have done more optimisation for the Vita though, considering how good the IOS version looks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
^ Can be a bit hard. Try to go for the mods straight away and unlock the pros as well. I've found a bug where I would start much further back then the other racers when I skipped a cutscene for a certain race (forgot the event) and did not press accelerate during the second shorter non-skippable cutscene! So make sure that isn't happening..

Losing cops - get out of their circle into a cool down and the go through a body shop. Also slow to a crawl and turn off the engine (L3? triangle on vita). People have been complaining about the difficulty of police in the console/pc version.

Super fun race: Jumping Jacks (Lancia, small yellow car - might want to get the burn nitrous from the previous race first though). Has a cool skipping section and a jump that goes through highway traffic.

Anyone with the vita version and not getting those short freezes when connected online (not necessarily multiplayer) - usually while loading cameras/billboards in the distance but not always. Only lasts for a short moment but definitely noticeable and only happens when connected to autolog....hope it doesn't update the times/scores each time you approach..!!! Maybe too long of a friendslist? :S

Engine cool down on vita is down the dpad I think?

Races vary a lot depending on the car you're driving. Try a few out and see which you like the feel of. First races to get nitro aren't usually too bad. If you find you're having difficulty with later races, then upgrade your current mods, and try skipping to a different race - as I said sometimes I found a hard race fairly straightforward

Skyzard

Banned
Engine cool down on vita is down the dpad I think?

I thought it was triangle..Didn't know d-pad down did anything? Triangle definitely turns the car off when it is at a halt (can tell at night when headlights turn off, or if in cool down as the heat level drops rapidly).

Did you see any short freezes when connected to autolog on the vita version btw?

bs000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iIvWqY4oEE

Managed to score 33 seconds or less in all the ambush events. First couple of attempts in each event was just looking for paths that made it hard for cops to follow. Also driving through areas where cops were prone to crashing. Best part is driving towards a cliff, e-braking and watching them drive off the edge. :p Once I found a good path it was just replaying it over and over to get the best time possible.

Amory

Spent a ton of time playing this on my vita, and while it was really impressive at first, my opinion has soured pretty significantly. The single player just isn't any fun once you've maxed out several cars and seen everything the city has to offer. It's pure repetition from then on out.

The crashes, a huge part of the game, are boring as hell. Half the time I crash into a wall going 130+ mph and the car just stops dead, with a lackluster generic crash sound accompanying it. There's zero wow factor.

Too many things about the game are too slow. Once you show me that opening cinematic for a race once, just skip it from then on out. It's not interesting to watch, and I've even come across a few that are unskippable and have to play from start to finish every time you retry a race. Loading times between retries are also quite long, but that could just be because of the Vita.

And I've come across some infuriating bugs. Speed runs are some of the toughest races to beat because you pretty much have to be perfect. Well on one of them the target is 125 mph, and I just barely got there, 125.0 mph exactly. Didn't register as a 1st place win. Rage.

Overall I'm still happy with the game because it's one of the better Vita games out there right now, but damn does it have some real wrinkles.

Razgreez

Yea that's my goal.

Wait till you get to Needle Point in the Agera R. You'll feel like breaking something

crispyben

Managed to score 33 seconds or less in all the ambush events. First couple of attempts in each event was just looking for paths that made it hard for cops to follow. Also driving through areas where cops were prone to crashing. Best part is driving towards a cliff, e-braking and watching them drive off the edge. :p Once I found a good path it was just replaying it over and over to get the best time possible.
Impressive, these are the events I've had to retry the most, though I've yet to tackle Needle Point... Agera or Veyron?

bs000

I think it's a bit easier in the Agera. The Veyron feels alot heavier and more difficult to control on the turns. I think the trick is to not be afraid you use your brakes. I hit the brakes hard and often. There's a little downhill bit near the end that's tricky because it causes you to get air and if you don't brake right before that, you'll hit the wall when you land.
Alsoooo:

BdudJ.jpg

I Googled it and the first result is not what I expected :|

Nyx

Played the 360 demo las night and wasn’t really impressed, it felt like ‘’generic arcade racer from this gen part VII’’ or something.

But my GF almost went mental haha, she really loved it and wants the game now, so I guess I’ll dive in as well.

The music is terrible though, that ‘’dubstep’’ track or whatever, jeezzzz, definitely one of the worst tracks I ever heard!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I thought it was triangle..Didn't know d-pad down did anything? Triangle definitely turns the car off when it is at a halt (can tell at night when headlights turn off, or if in cool down as the heat level drops rapidly).

Did you see any short freezes when connected to autolog on the vita version btw?

Don't recall. I've had some recently on PS3 when parked up and cooling down from a high heat level, you can see the heat meter visibly stall (I'm pressing to speed it up). Probably streaming in police audio or something. Shame you can't install the PS3 version

Amon37

And I've come across some infuriating bugs. Speed runs are some of the toughest races to beat because you pretty much have to be perfect. Well on one of them the target is 125 mph, and I just barely got there, 125.0 mph exactly. Didn't register as a 1st place win. Rage.

This happened to me too. Target 135 but a 135.0=second place. A controller almost went flying.

If you see my post on this page I can't even complete the game, I'll probably just trade it in since it's completely broke and I can't fix it.

Robso

I very rarely play racing games and I think this is a blast.

It was difficult at first but I'd say it doesn't take more than an hour or so to get your bearings.

After your initial "easy" race for the Nitrous go for the Lightweight Chassis and Track Tires that typically come from a medium event. The difference those mods make is so huge. Aero body mod is also nice but can be hard to acquire, typically comes from gold in a hard event.

Police aren't bad in the races generally. My issue with them are the events where the objective is to escape, I'm usually happy with getting a silver. They start you at a 3 heat level and can be hard to lose if you can't find anywhere to hide.

Thanks. And to you also Skyzard. Might as well give it a go.

Amory

Very nice. What's the song playing in the background??

Edit: Nvm. Song name's in the video description :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace

is 33 seconds a target time in game, or just a personal target?

apesh1t

Banned
Liking this game less and less....

Is there no way to tell what car you've done what in from some type of hub screen or something? Spent like 20 minutes cycling through my cars trying to find the one car I beat 2 Most Wanteds and all the races in and got nothing.... Why isn't this in the statistics????

Top Bottom