• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

Has there been any word on a patch? Not that there are a lot of bugs, but I've found a few, and I'd love to see some small performance improvements.

Has there been any word on a patch? Not that there are a lot of bugs, but I've found a few, and I'd love to see some small performance improvements.

I'd definitely like to see some menu loading time improvements (hopefully). I've run into a few crashing glitches, but otherwise the game has solid performance on PS3.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
On PSvita, I think I hit a huge bug/glitch? ok I shut down the Bugatti Veyron but didn't get the car,not only that the Most Wanted 3 is not red(so it tell me I didn't do the race I guess),I got the 12K however, retry..beat the Veyron, same thing,shut down Vita, restarted the game and beat the Veyron again,and it's the same thing.

I now can get infinite SP from that event but can't get the car.

Edit:went offline and it got fixed by itself.

-Amon-

Has there been any word on a patch?

I'd kill for a bonnet cam.

Another think i'd like a lot is the ability to not change the color of the car when repairing. Something like if you do not press this button while repairing, then the usual color change will happen, but if you press this button, you'll repair the car keeping the color it is.

I'd like a real damage switch too. When enabled if you crash too hard you restart from the nearest point where the car you are driving is parked and if it happens during chases, you're arrested. If it happens during other events, you're out ( same happens for ai cars involved )

10 x points when enabled.

Apart from that i'm having a blast with this. Perfect pick - and play arcade racer.

tch

Anyone else who got the Origin $20 vita deal unable to see their order under order history? I got the confirmation email but now I'm kinda worried.

witness

Tried the hour long demo for PS+ for other day and what an infuriating experience. It looks and sounds great with some awesome cars, but it's really frustrating to play. Almost any contact crashes being my biggest problem, along with really annoying cop chases that just keep going. I should love this game, I loved the original and Burnout Paradise, and I'm a car nut. There are parts to this I love: the vehicles, the look, sound, and sense of speed. All of that is ruined for me because of how easily your car crashes. Cop chases, racing, and BSing around would be much more enjoyable if your car doesn't wreck so easily and you can keep that momentum and insanity going.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Why are all of my cars made out of porcelain and all the opponents cars online made of fucking stone?

This game is really cool, but I'll bash into someone completely still while going 80mph and it won't be a take down. Meanwhile I'll be driving side by side a dude at 20, he nudges me and I go blazing and flipping.

Seriously I got tapped on the tail at about 15mph and my car flipped over. Is there something I'm missing that I just haven't unlocked yet?

Why are all of my cars made out of porcelain and all the opponents cars online made of fucking stone?

This game is really cool, but I'll bash into someone completely still while going 80mph and it won't be a take down. Meanwhile I'll be driving side by side a dude at 20, he nudges me and I go blazing and flipping.

Seriously I got tapped on the tail at about 15mph and my car flipped over. Is there something I'm missing that I just haven't unlocked yet?
There is an online only skill that allow you to takedown opponents by only touching them.
they were probably using that

Blasted through Single Player, felt short, but definitely liking the game. Does it hold up as well as Hot Pursuit or Paradise? Hard to judge at this point.

Multiplayer with the playlist is a nice evolution of what happened in Paradise, but some nagging issues remain (and a human problem)

a) Playing in random servers? People are butthurt when you crash them, as if it means something. The entire takedown mechanic, especially encouraging you to run into people who haven't finished the race, is part of it's charm. I'm sure I've gotten negative feedback over that.

b) Multistep challenges -> Hillside steps. This challenge actually makes a return from Paradise, and it's still completely broken as long as one person isn't participating (ie, just crashing into other cars waiting at the top of the hill). The problem is further complicated by the fact that the playlist won't end.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Just got this today for my PC. Man it is really fun. I am enjoying it big time. I read alot of complaints in the PC Perfomance thread, but I am not seeing any of that. I am really liking it. More fun than I expected.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Any gaffer's wanna add me and we can get a neogaf multiplayer session some time I'm down.

Origin name is Alo81

How are you so good at this game? Every race I play you're first on my friends list in the autolog and I don't even come close to touching your times -__-

How are you so good at this game? Every race I play you're first on my friends list in the autolog and I don't even come close to touching your times -__-

I don't think of myself as exceptionally good at these games, but I have noticed other people saying "man, this race was so hard", but I had no trouble finishing it on the first try.

Anyway, arcade racing is pretty much my favorite videogame genre.

I don't think of myself as exceptionally good at these games, but I have noticed other people saying "man, this race was so hard", but I had no trouble finishing it on the first try.

Anyway, arcade racing is pretty much my favorite videogame genre.

You're gifted then :p The speedruns ranked hard difficulty is like 20 retries until i finally complete it with the gold speed. And i crash a lot :/

How's the online community? I remember Paradise being very active for a while. I bought it however my backlog is deep but I plan on starting this up soon.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Few questions.

1. Each car has its own race right?
2. Doing the easy race first and getting boost is vital for harder races or beating friends times I assume?
3. How do you play this best, stick to one car for a while, or keep switching?

I'm also glad my 1 hour PS+ playtime save was preserved to the disc version.

daviyoung

Banned
Few questions.

1. Each car has its own race right?
2. Doing the easy race first and getting boost is vital for harder races or beating friends times I assume?
3. How do you play this best, stick to one car for a while, or keep switching?

I'm also glad my 1 hour PS+ playtime save was preserved to the disc version.

1. Each car has 5 events of 3 different difficulties, not all of them will be races. If you want to unlock all the upgrades for a specific car you'll have to do all the events.

2. The default race for every new car you drive will be the one that awards boost upon winning

3. Experiment because it's totally up to you. The SP is really easy and rewards experimentation and exploration. Heavy cars won't be able to get those billboards. Light cars won't be able to power down traffic etc. Some people like to stick to a certain car or type of car, others aren't so fussy.

The Jason

Well I have to say I love this game. I dont know why people are complaining about handling. Cars handle well, you just have to use the hand break a little (like in HP). The races are exciting, and the open city is great. IQ is not perfect but its a little better than HP so thats good enough for me.

I wish there were more events per car, and i wish cars were able to be customized cosmetically, but that's about it.

Hawk SE

This demo pretty much unsold me off the game. Unexciting city, pretty lame handling. Shockingly uninspired. Really didn't feel "Criterion" at all.

Surprising. The game is too much Criterion, not enough Need For Speed. It's a really good game, but suffers an identity crisis all-throughout.

This demo pretty much unsold me off the game. Unexciting city, pretty lame handling. Shockingly uninspired. Really didn't feel "Criterion" at all.
The demo is a really poor representation of the game. It's as if Criterion has unlearned everything with their demos. The locked in area just doesn't show why this game has the environments that make it a combination of the last few games.

wtf at having to win a race to earn boost and seemingly infinite cop chases. Hot damn, what the hell.
Earning the boost for the first car IS really a baffling design, and their online mode even compensates for it.

Infinite cop chases? Yeah, it's learning the idea of a)when to just smash all of them, or b)when to run and where to run to. Personally, it's no better/worse than the old Most Wanted games.

Surprising. The game is too much Criterion, not enough Need For Speed. It's a really good game, but suffers an identity crisis all-throughout.
I think it's a fair question to start asking: "what is need for speed" to people now, because this is a franchise that clearly inherits from 3 parents:
a)Long Winding Roads, Exotic Cars (Hot Pursuit 2)
b)Tuner Audience (Most Wanted 2005)
c)Criterion Games

This game has clear influences from all three (in fact, I was kinda shocked at some of the cut and paste map sections from previous Criterion games), so I'm really not sure what people want this franchise to go, or whether it's even possible for a single direction.

So in SP, once you've completed each car's 5 races, is there a point to ever race it again in SP? What can you do with it other then smash billboards?
More SP points.

Single player content:
Each car has their own 5 races (but some overlap), in total, 61 unique events.
Most Wanted Races, 10 events (not sure if this counts into the 61)
Gates, Speed Cameras, Billboards
I guess you can grind and unlock the mods for the cars in single player, but they don't carry over to multiplayer either.

mooooose

This game is not what I expected. It's good, but it is NOT a Burnout game. It's a Need for Speed game. Which is cool, but it is much shittier than Paradise. It's like a dude bro version of Paradise.

I want fucking Paradise 2. So fucking bad. All over my tits and in or around my mouth.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Maybe Paradise gets better when you get faster cars, because using the starter car wasn't any fun whatsoever. MW feels way more intense out the box.

This game is not what I expected. It's good, but it is NOT a Burnout game. It's a Need for Speed game. Which is cool, but it is much shittier than Paradise. It's like a dude bro version of Paradise.

I want fucking Paradise 2. So fucking bad. All over my tits and in or around my mouth.
Not sure if you saw the box and the game you bought, but it says Need for Speed at the top.

Bebpo

Banned
Got really bored of this game unfortunately. I loved BP and I loved HP, but this is a weak racer. The actual racing is great, really nice graphics, but I felt like I just kept doing the same races over and over with different cars and the city wasn't particularly interesting. The cops are a mess and the AI can be BS at times. The "track" design is a bit weak. Nothing as fun as racing through the snow covered mountain roads in HP.

Even in the online mode. The downtime between events, the boring challenge events you have to sit through between races...everything both SP & MP about the game is just tedious. It's like a really fun arcade racer packed between a lot of boring.

Really a shame. Since every Criterion game is becoming worse than the previous one, I'm a little worried about whatever they do next. Probably won't day 1 buy it.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Okay I've played around with it for a while, the handling improved a lot once I got to better cars. This game just has some baffling design choices though. I'm having more incentive/fun driving around the city unlocking cars as smashing billboards than I am with the races. I don't hate it, especially as much as the Hot Pursuit demo turned me off, but seriously, every time I unlock a car I have to drive all the way across town to do one thing to unlock boost? On every car? And it's not even a 2nd place item?!

Then you do a Most Wanted race and it's kind of frustrating to accidentally hit spike stripes and then spend half the race on the highway while your competitor is having no annoyances with the cops, especially as much as you. Race is already over 1/3 the way in, christ.

It's a great looking game, but some gameplay itself is like, weirdly/wildly flawed for a Criterion I used to know. Christ how many times have I slammed into walls thinking they were further away/leading somewhere/couldn't see them soon enough/just straight up trying to explore to find these damn cars. And holy hell, car finding - just when you're about to start a race to get boost for the one you're in, driving all the way across town, you find another one! And then you're driving back across town. It's a bit of UI overload between noticing the car symbols and following the map and avoiding all the cars with the flashing lights and dealing with autolog menus. And the city is littered with little things that jut out of the sides of the road that stop you dead in your tracks and prevent you from properly grinding - this kind of stuff turned me off to the midnight club series entirely.

Like I get we're not gonna have Burnout style crash damage in these games - effectively crashing in this game almost means nothing since 90% of the time you just keep going after a slow mo cinematic. And the damage is meager, obviously a huge step down from Paradise, but this is what happens when you play in licensed cars, I get that. But christ, what is with these infinite cop chases? I can't crash to end them, I can't get taken down, I literally have to wait to get busted or get chased for 10 minutes by dudes who, in just the first hour of gameplay, appear literally right in front of me or avoid roadblocks when I've been in cooldown for like a minute already and they wouldn't have any idea where I am. It's just mind boggling how they shipped with these unnecessary issues. I'm not asking for the same ol' Burnout or Need for Speed, but c'mon, how do these mechanics as is work fluidly and intuitively?

I'll play a little more. I dunno if I'm not so mad because Hot Pursuit prepped me or if I'm just more mellow, but this shit is just kind of crazy how lacking in polish it has from a gameplay testing perspective. A lot of the issues I jsut couldn't have gleaned from gameplay or promotional videos and it's like, if ya gotta hide it, why not just remove it?

Fuck man, this game is weird.

XDDX

Does it get tougher to escape from them, and win the races at the same time?
The events where you just have to escape from them do get harder, as well as the Most Wanted races where you have to takedown the opponent after the race ends. I don't think it effects normal races too much, but later on there are a lot more cops in normal races too.

Got really bored of this game unfortunately. I loved BP and I loved HP, but this is a weak racer. The actual racing is great, really nice graphics, but I felt like I just kept doing the same races over and over with different cars and the city wasn't particularly interesting. The cops are a mess and the AI can be BS at times. The "track" design is a bit weak. Nothing as fun as racing through the snow covered mountain roads in HP.

Even in the online mode. The downtime between events, the boring challenge events you have to sit through between races...everything both SP & MP about the game is just tedious. It's like a really fun arcade racer packed between a lot of boring.

Really a shame. Since every Criterion game is becoming worse than the previous one, I'm a little worried about whatever they do next. Probably won't day 1 buy it.
Agree with the lack of racing. I'm actually shocked at the number of actual races given the amount of map size in this game.

I still really haven't formed a complete opinion over the map design, but there is something off: Burnout Paradise was actually really smart when it came to the "compass" design of end point, which lets players key in on landmarks to a location; Hot Pursuit was more linear as far as map goes: key intersection connected by linear dots. Here, it's a combination of both, and the game somewhat suffers for it: I've clocked 20 hours in it now, and I still have no real understanding of which landmark and which turns gets me to point X. I know they're close by, I know one of the routes in front of me gets me there, but how? Hell if I know. This isn't a problem in either one of Criterion's games.

Online is interesting: By merging the playlist together, it's more pick up and play than any of their previous games, but, only if all players are actively participating in it. If 1 of 8 jackasses decides not to read the rules or follow instructions, then you're hosed until the timer warps them over. The game just assumes you've know what's going on and moves from there, and there is an online population that a)doesn't know or b)don't read and follow instructions. Whenever a challenge mode says, meet here, then do X, i just throw the towel in now because there's no point in doing it if 2 assholes decides to smash into you over and over for the hell of it.

Picked this up along with Horizon on Black Friday from MS Store. Haven't stopped playing it. So much fun. Can't wait to beat all the speed camera times set by my friends.

Concept17

What the hell at evading the cops? I just did the 'Bloody Nose' event for one of the cars, and I can't get away from the cops, not even close. Everytime I get into cool down, another roadblock magically appears or a cop shows up that is unavoidable, resetting the cooldown all over again.

This game is magically frustrating.

EDIT: holy shit I think I hate this game. Every time you're about to get away, finish a race, or win anything, the game finds a way to make you crash into the dumbest shit. I don't remember the last time I got more irritated at a game.

CamHostage

Yeah, for all of the talk of this being "Burnout with a NFS license," the one thing I'm disappointed with in this game is I don't feel entirely as comfortable in hairy situations as I did Burnout Paradise. I'm playing the Vita version and cars bruise easier and guardrails are more murderous than I remember. Granted it is a different game, but my driving tendencies tend towards the manic and this requires a bit more finesse than I was expecting at first.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
What the hell at evading the cops? I just did the 'Bloody Nose' event for one of the cars, and I can't get away from the cops, not even close. Everytime I get into cool down, another roadblock magically appears or a cop shows up that is unavoidable, resetting the cooldown all over again.

This game is magically frustrating.

EDIT: holy shit I think I hate this game. Every time you're about to get away, finish a race, or win anything, the game finds a way to make you crash into the dumbest shit. I don't remember the last time I got more irritated at a game.

Ferreal, it's like no one play tested this thing on a gameplay level. The amount of shit jutting out of nowhere or edges of corners that stop you dead is maddening. Sides of the road that just lead to nothing - why not put a guard rail? It's like they picked this city from a different open world game and didn't have enough time to develop it for a racing game. There's surprisingly little personally from a track perspective - Paradise is still burning in my mind and I wasn't crazy about all the 90 degree turns and what not.

And then lens flare / sun glare / shit flying at your screen? What the fuck? I was about to win a race against a most wanted car when, coming out of a tunnel, I was blinded by the sun and magically out of nowhere there was a police barricade with a spike strip directly in my path. You think the computer had problems getting around that? The rubberbanding here is maddening. When you're smoking an opponent they should stay smoked, the game is easy enough in all the wrong places anyways (having all the cars available from the start).

I've taken to just casually exploring the city very slowly (because anything will set off an infinite police chase that is somehow way easier than ones you initiate to earn parts) and just smashing billboards/gates/finding cars & jackspots. The game is just more relaxing this way. I have no idea why a Ford Truck is in this game, but I found it.

The craziest design choice of all is capping your ability to use the same car for 15 races, at the most. 10 Most Wanted + 5 you need to earn parts. What the fuck? Why would I want to use a great car so few times? Why would I want to use a poor car that many? It's nuts.

Skyzard

Banned
Yeah, for all of the talk of this being "Burnout with a NFS license," the one thing I'm disappointed with in this game is I don't feel entirely as comfortable in hairy situations as I did Burnout Paradise. I'm playing the Vita version and cars bruise easier and guardrails are more murderous than I remember. Granted it is a different game, but my driving tendencies tend towards the manic and this requires a bit more finesse than I was expecting at first.

Give it 30 hours or so :)

Skyzard

Banned
How durable do cars end up getting? It's just annoying that going 80 and tapping a civilian car going 50 on the butt will make you crash.

Well as AlphaTwo00 said some cars are great but I meant it will be easier to drift/navigate between traffic cars after quite a bit of practice - but you can always put the reinforced chassis mod and/or impact protection so you get a bit more leeway..

Of course if you are in the formula 1 type cars like the atom then it won't help all that much - try letting go of acceleration to do quick lane shifts and get out of traffics way...but with time you can predict what lane oncoming cars will be in, even around a corner etc but it does take a while..faster lanes etc

Top Bottom