• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

Yeah, for all of the talk of this being "Burnout with a NFS license," the one thing I'm disappointed with in this game is I don't feel entirely as comfortable in hairy situations as I did Burnout Paradise. I'm playing the Vita version and cars bruise easier and guardrails are more murderous than I remember. Granted it is a different game, but my driving tendencies tend towards the manic and this requires a bit more finesse than I was expecting at first.

The vita version has a very inferior colision system than the pc/ps3/360 ..i v'e compared vita and ps3 and while it's close most of the time, there are moments where you cant take an hit where there is nothing

Well as AlphaTwo00 said some cars are great but I meant it will be easier to drift/navigate between traffic cars after quite a bit of practice - but you can always put the reinforced chassis mod and/or impact protection so you get a bit more leeway..

Of course if you are in the formula 1 type cars like the atom then it won't help all that much - try letting go of acceleration to do quick lane shifts and get out of traffics way...but with time you can predict what lane oncoming cars will be in, even around a corner etc but it does take a while..faster lanes etc
The disconnect on why pedestrian cars are durable while other racers remain for most of the game, but it usually boils down to how fast are you travelling vs who you ran into and the "assumed durability" of what you're driving vs what you just hit. The F-150, the Land Rover, and some of the landboats like the Bentley can tolerate slightly heavier crashes.

I just make up a meta game where basically all these underground races are controlled remotely by an observer who doesn't want pedestrian deaths, so they remotely crash your car on the slightest bump to them.

Ferreal, it's like no one play tested this thing on a gameplay level. The amount of shit jutting out of nowhere or edges of corners that stop you dead is maddening. Sides of the road that just lead to nothing - why not put a guard rail? It's like they picked this city from a different open world game and didn't have enough time to develop it for a racing game. There's surprisingly little personally from a track perspective - Paradise is still burning in my mind and I wasn't crazy about all the 90 degree turns and what not.
The more I think about it, the more I think they're also stuck on the issue of how to balance out gamey vs realism.

Remember in Hot Pursuit, where all the spike strips are given plenty of audio aid, visual blinkers, and some visual slowdown in deployment? And then people called them out being too cartoony and "mario kart weapons in a NFS" like? Well there, it's toned down to a subtle yellow light strip, and fuck it's hard as hell to spot. Realism vs Gamey.

Ditto with the security gates (gone are the bright glowing lights of Paradise), hard wall barriers (road signs and blinkers from previous games are toned down to just simple white/red stripes), etc. It feels like they're reeling in the "gamey-ness' but just clashing with the other aspects of the game they wanted.

Finally got myself a PS3 copy! My Autolog is depressingly empty right now so I'll be adding some of you people to have some times to destroy. :)

Anyone feel free to add threnodycreed if you want to pad out your Autolog a bit.

Xdye7

"We got ourselves a wannabe secret agent in a white Aston Martin"

LOL. Best police dialogue I've heard in my 50 hours of playtime.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
What the hell at evading the cops? I just did the 'Bloody Nose' event for one of the cars, and I can't get away from the cops, not even close. Everytime I get into cool down, another roadblock magically appears or a cop shows up that is unavoidable, resetting the cooldown all over again.

This game is magically frustrating.

EDIT: holy shit I think I hate this game. Every time you're about to get away, finish a race, or win anything, the game finds a way to make you crash into the dumbest shit. I don't remember the last time I got more irritated at a game.

Yep. I had to put this game on the shelf. I thought it would be fun to play with my Son, but it makes me scream and curse like no other game, it is just plain cheap. I had high hopes for it, but it is just not well balanced or tested. Too many things out of my control determine the end results, not fun.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
What stuff out of your control ends up making you crash?

The controls felt sloppy to me at first, but now I've got a pretty good grasp on it. Every time I crash I know it's cuz I fucked up. Going too fast, not going fast enough, not hitting breaks, not drifting, etc etc.

Also, you should play online, it's pretty dope.

Yep. I had to put this game on the shelf. I thought it would be fun to play with my Son, but it makes me scream and curse like no other game, it is just plain cheap. I had high hopes for it, but it is just not well balanced or tested. Too many things out of my control determine the end results, not fun.
Evading the cops is easy if you know the rights tricks and the city properly.

Now that i know what works and what doesnt i think there are even too many places to hide

AgentP

Evading the cops is easy if you know the rights tricks and the city properly.

Now that i know what works and what doesnt i think there are even too many places to hide

I wasn't referring to the cops, the races are the same way. You can be in first and boom get t-boned from the side of the screen at the end. Then it is time to reload the race for third time...

Bog

Junior Ace
Just got the Vita version after playing 30+ hours of the PS3 game, but none of my PSN or Origin friends' stats are showing up. I realize I have to get all the billboards again, but shouldn't whoever has the best jump persist to the Vita version once I do get it?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I need 2 speed cameras to go through for the full 66....Where the hell are they!?!
I was wondering this - was driving me crazy. Then triggered my final 2 on the main motorway. Just drove all the way up, and all the way back :p Just gotta drive around everywhere, sadly.

Agent X

I've been enjoying the PS3 version of the game so much over the last few weeks, that I decided to spring for the PS Vita version as well! I just received it in the mail today.

Jonnyram

So frustrated with the Origin side of this game.
Thanks to the small firmware update on Vita today, my PSN connection got killed, so Origin threw a wobbler and the game crashed on me in the middle of a race :( I love the game itself, but I have to say, I'm not impressed by the UI. It's so damned clunky. I mean, the full-screen menu thing, not the quicknav dubris (which is actually awesome).

I wasn't referring to the cops, the races are the same way. You can be in first and boom get t-boned from the side of the screen at the end. Then it is time to reload the race for third time...
Yes. That's part of the game. Infuriating when you're having a good run. But yeah, part of the game. Feels good when you do make it.

vladdamad

Holy hell this game is fun. I enjoyed Hot Pursuit loads, and this feels like a natural evolution - the structure is also perfect for my 15 minute train ride to college. Hop in, do a couple of races, hop out. Fantastic. I'm sure that the PS3 version looks a lot better, but quite frankly, I'd would rather pick convenience over graphics in this case. Just a great experience overall (except for those goddamn ambush events, I keep getting destroyed).

If anyone wants to add me to their autolog, my PSN is vladdamad, same as the username.

newsguy

I'm enjoying the minigames in multiplayer. Unfortunately when I'm in SP and a cop cuts me off and drops a spike strip, I remember how much I miss Hot Pursuit and it's amazing cops vs. racers mode online.

Jonnyram

Just beat the Koenigsegg.
It's a solid single-player experience, but you really notice the problems in the later races.

1) Races for the high-end cars are mostly repeats.

2) When you are driving at high speeds, so many ridiculous issues crop up, e.g. why do you "takedown" opponents and police, but regular cars cause a crash? Why are most poles destructible but some stop you dead?

And the rubber-banding is just ridiculous. Still, I prefer it to end game Ridge Racer.

Might get a bit more enjoyment out of it yet, but the lack of variation will probably kill off enjoyment quickly. Just a slightly bigger map, or more varied environments (beach/snow/trees/green grass) would have probably helped a great deal.

Skyzard

Banned
I put in 40 hours and have only been pulled away due to PSASBR..dying to get back to it :)

Stick with it, great buy and congrats!

AgentP

How do you compete with faster Most Wanted races? I'm in the fifth or so one with the McClaren and I can't get close. What car should I have with what upgrades? I have the GTR with nitro, but he dusts me. I search my inventory and don't see anything faster. I have the same problem with some upgrade races, the pack just pull away from me. The difficulty spikes are ridiculous sometime, some hard races are easy and some easy ones are hard.

-Amon-

This game is hard as fuck. I can't even win the first few races to get nitrous.

I'm afraid it's you :( Seriously, the race tagged as easy have the opponents literally waiting for you at the end of the race. Just stay out of trouble for the whole race.

OmegaZero

How do you compete with faster Most Wanted races? I'm in the fifth or so one with the McClaren and I can't get close. What car should I have with what upgrades? I have the GTR with nitro, but he dusts me. I search my inventory and don't see anything faster. I have the same problem with some upgrade races, the pack just pull away from me. The difficulty spikes are ridiculous sometime, some hard races are easy and some easy ones are hard.

You'll want to also get lightweight chassis and aero body on if you want to increase your speed even more. As for the races, just keep at it until you've learned the course well enough to not crash. Try to take down racers to earn nitrous. Doing that helped me win some of the harder races with slower cars.

I beat the McClaren with a Corvette with Burn Nitrous, Offroad Pro Tires, Aero Body, Lightweight Chassis, and Long Gears Pro.

Yopis

Played for a few hours the other day (vita). Never was much of a paradise fan. Game is okay but not blown away. Consoles dont get much time anymore. Gaming laptop is a chore to bring out some days.

Wanted this to fill the void since Im winding down with wipeout. Anyway the great impressions here sold me. Only thing I truly hate is finding cars instead of earning them.

Feel free to add if any of you play vita version time to time.

Psn kincade.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Love this game, but have an absolutely empty auto log. My friends suck. Gaffers on PS3, add me! I'll subscribe to this thread, I love this game a d want to enjoy the seemingly excellent community features.

PSN : teethmummy

Ultimate Speed Pack DLC:

Pagani Zonda R
McLaren F1LM
Lamborghini Aventador J
Hennessey Venom GT Spyder
Bugatti Veyron Grand Sport Vitesse

Twenty-five new events.

800 space bucks/$10

Sigh. The days of good Criterion DLC is gone, I guess.

Returners

Ultimate Speed Pack DLC:

Pagani Zonda R
McLaren F1LM
Lamborghini Aventador J

Twenty-five new events.

800 space bucks/$10

Does it have trophioes? At least the venom is new.

Xdye7

I used the Gallardo up to the McLaren. Try burn nitrous, lightweight chassis, short gears, track tires, and impact protection body. I use that same setup on almost every car and I think I do pretty well.

Anybody on PS3 use a custom music playlist? I tried it today and immediately noticed a couple of problems. The world loads slower as I'm driving around and the sound effects + music will frequently skip/stutter (both independently and same time). I have the digital game from PSN btw.

I used the Gallardo up to the McLaren. Try burn nitrous, lightweight chassis, short gears, track tires, and impact protection body. I use that same setup on almost every car and I think I do pretty well.
first 3: Porsche 911 (the starter), the rest: Nissan GTR, equipping the following when it came online: burn nitrous, lightweight chassis, long gears, track tires, aero body.

The last two races I dd have to switch out to auto-inflate tires just to make it a little more even.

Did anyone else cheat the whole time? I might very robbed myself of a real challenge, but I still had fun.

(By cheat I meant maxing out one car and using the recommends glitch to transfer those mods to all the other vehicles). All in all, I loved the game. I beat all the Most Wanted vehicles and now just going back and completing events for the slower, boring vehicles.

Ultimate Speed Pack DLC:

Pagani Zonda R
McLaren F1LM
Lamborghini Aventador J

Twenty-five new events.

800 space bucks/$10

Was this just announced today? I'd like to see some new game modes. Criterion is usually good for a few of those.

zulfate

Im planning on buying this for vita i will be triple dipping this game lol (i have pc, ps3, and vita soon)

My question is how is the online for the vita version. I can thether to my vita and play online on the train that is why i ask.

ACH1LL3US

Ultimate Speed Pack DLC:

Pagani Zonda R
McLaren F1LM
Lamborghini Aventador J

Twenty-five new events.

800 space bucks/$10

Sweet! Will this hit the pc version ??

-Amon-

Im planning on buying this for vita i will be triple dipping this game lol (i have pc, ps3, and vita soon)

My question is how is the online for the vita version. I can thether to my vita and play online on the train that is why i ask.

Well i would'nt do that and expect a decent result even i was planning to play online chess ....

zulfate

On a moving train ? With your phone changing cell every couple of minutes ? Don't think so.

Lol

i swear i get full bars there is 1 stop (west corona) that i loose signal, in fact i was playing wipeout on vita online when i posted my original post lol

leng jai

I'm afraid it's you :( Seriously, the race tagged as easy have the opponents literally waiting for you at the end of the race. Just stay out of trouble for the whole race.

Yeah think it's just me but I've never had a problem before (clocked the original) with NFS games. Seemed like I wasn't doing much wrong but ended up 3rd or 4th. I guess I'll try again when this patch hits.

Xdye7

This multiplayer is absolutely amazing. One thing I would like to be adjusted is "instant takedown". Changing it to increased damage dealt would make the most sense, considering there's a "sweet revenge" option that reduces damage taken.

edit:

Anyone on PS3, feel free to add me (PSN: Xdye7). Just say you're from NeoGAF.

This multiplayer is absolutely amazing. One thing I would like to be adjusted is "instant takedown". Changing it to increased damage dealt would make the most sense, considering there's a "sweet revenge" option that reduces damage taken.

edit:

Anyone on PS3, feel free to add me (PSN: Xdye7). Just say you're from NeoGAF.

did you sleep in this game ? i think i've played a lot but you're over 5,000K of SP !
And some of your times are ridiculous. What the hell is going on ?

I won't be at ease untill i remove some of your faces in my city .. challenge accepted ! raaaaaaaaaaaaahhh

Top Bottom