• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed Most Wanted U |OT| Burned out, Upshift

I've own the 360, PS3, and Vita versions of the game. I'm tempted to pick this up for the U. :(

I'm weird like that when it comes to Criterion games for some reason.

If I'm playing this later today I'll certainly post some comparison impressions. The main reasons I'm intrigued are the improved graphics and off screen play.

Hermii

how the hell do you get worst from PC textures? Is the reviewer blind or were we lied to?

My guess would be a bad case of placebo effect from reading about how most ports looks worse on Wii U. And maybe its a while since he played the other versions and remember them to be better than they were.

The_Lump

Banned
Well every hands on I've read (and the limited screen shots we've seen) show that reviewer to be either talking out of his ass or he has no idea what textures are.

Bizarre.

Well - still not up on the eShop - which is probably a good thing since I now want to see more impressions after reading that review (WTF?).

kizmah

Tried to post to miiverse directly from the game. Didn't work. Of course that's because there is no community yet.

kizmah

Now this is a fun vehicle to drive! (crappy iPhone pic of gamepad)
nfsu_zps3178b707.png

scitek

What's up with that review? How could it possibly look worse with a digital connection and higher resolution textures?

I mean, we have to be demanding but there is a limit to it I think. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion but I think we should stop complaining about this particular title.

I am also enjoying a lot Black Ops 2 without DLC. Publishers are allowed to have their business decisions although they might suck for us.

I am also enjoying a lot Black Ops 2 without DLC. Publishers are allowed to have their business decisions although they might suck for us.

But we're also allowed to be pissed about said business decisions. Black Ops 2 could sell 12 or 12 million copies and it wouldn't matter...I still want new maps.

netBuff

That review pretty much goes completely against what we've heard. I will have to wait for other reviews/hands-on.

The Wii U's HDMI colour range problem could lead to a perceived loss of image quality on a number of TVs even when the game is rendering better.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
What's the file size? You think Nintendo would post this info without having to complete the purchase process.
IIRC, you don't need to complete the purchase process, but you need to have initiated it. Which means you need to have enough funds to buy the title, or no size stats for you.

The Wii U's HDMI colour range problem could lead to a perceived loss of image quality on a number of TVs even when the game is rendering better.

Is this ever going to be fixed? I assume all games are made with full-range in mind, but why would Nintendo allow limited only? Hope this is fixed with an update. :(

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Is this ever going to be fixed? I assume all games are made with full-range in mind, but why would Nintendo allow limited only? Hope this is fixed with an update. :(
Because that's the standard. Full-range is an extension to the standard. I think WiiU's current issue with that is that somehow the API and/or docs don't communicate what range the output is, so games tend to use wrong gammas. I think it was JoelFB who said they just had to disable the (wrong) gamma correction they had originally to get proper output in the update. So it's a no-effort-required fix and more of a nuisance (and a patch inducer).

Ridley327

Because that's the standard. Full-range is an extension to the standard. I think WiiU's current issue with that is that somehow the API and/or docs don't communicate what range the output is, so games tend to use wrong gammas. I think it was JoelFB who said they just had to disable the (wrong) gamma correction they had originally to get proper output in the update. So it's a no-effort-required fix and more of a nuisance (and a patch inducer).

FWIW, the PS3 started out initially with limited-range, but that was eventually patched. It's certainly not impossible for it to be patched on the Wii U, as well, provided that Nintendo hears enough noise about it to fix it.

d1rtn4p

I had a couple of questions on the game. The last racing game I played was Midnight Club Los Angeles. Is this an open world racer like that game?

Also, how's the longevity? Is there a good amount of cars and customization to it? Any other addicting qualities? Any outstanding features?

I'm always afraid of spending money on racers because I don't want to end up with a small amount of tracks and a limited number of cars.

kizmah

Is this an open world racer like that game?

Yes. One huge city with surroundings free to explore. You unlock missions as you go. Races, takedowns, stunts, escapes from the police...you name it. Or you can just cruise around doing insane jumps and smashing trough gates or billboards. Those letter two are a kind of collectible. It's a pretty huge playground and everything is open for you. The online is working pretty much the same way. I paired up with a guy earlier today and the game kept throwing challenges at us. After a couple races and a drifting-contest I opted out. Overall, I'm having a blast with the game. Moreso than I've ever had with a NFS.

I had a couple of questions on the game. The last racing game I played was Midnight Club Los Angeles. Is this an open world racer like that game?

Also, how's the longevity? Is there a good amount of cars and customization to it? Any other addicting qualities? Any outstanding features?

I'm always afraid of spending money on racers because I don't want to end up with a small amount of tracks and a limited number of cars.

car list http://wiki.nfsunlimited.net/wiki/Most_Wanted_2012_Car_List

open city

can't answer your questions since I don't have the game yet

d1rtn4p

Yes. One huge city with surroundings free to explore. You unlock missions as you go. Races, takedowns, stunts, escapes from the police...you name it. Or you can just cruise around doing insane jumps and smashing trough gates or billboards. Those letter two are a kind of collectible. It's a pretty huge playground and everything is open for you. The online is working pretty much the same way. I paired up with a guy earlier today and the game kept throwing challenges at us. After a couple races and a drifting-contest I opted out. Overall, I'm having a blast with the game. Moreso than I've ever had with a NFS.

Thanks! I'm think I'm diving in...

Kouriozan

I want this game but I'm already buying too much games.
Will probably buy it next month once I finish Lego City and Luigi's Mansion 2.

burgerdog

The lack of concrete performance impressions and comparisons on the web for this is really frustrating. Especially on the day of release!

Seriously, I want to start downloading already. Can we at least get some offscreen shots of the game that we can use to compare to the 360/ps3 version?

Don't know if they changed the physics more than analog vs. digital gas. The way it's described in the review seems to suggest that's what he's talking about.

Steering, acceleration, and braking seem more binary, and the lack of a spectrum reduces the subtlety of control that can mean the difference between finessing a tough corner and veering wildly from curb to curb. Most Wanted is all about going full throttle and flirting with wrecking at every turn.

Or something. Terrible writing there.

Top Bottom