• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Champions League (FIFA 09)

Tf53

sneaky77 said:
yeah I feel like I do pretty well on my play just can't finish
I've had that same problem. I still can't score 80% of the time if I'm facing just the keeper if I'm coming in straight. It's a lot easier to score from diagonal runs. I gotta work on my shooting from outside the box, too. I'm way too constricted at the moment. Definite improvement from round 1 of the league, though.

k0ji-wd

Tf53 said:
I've had that same problem. I still can't score 80% of the time if I'm facing just the keeper if I'm coming in straight. It's a lot easier to score from diagonal runs. I gotta work on my shooting from outside the box, too. I'm way too constricted at the moment. Definite improvement from round 1 of the league, though.

Use the finesse shot man, it's a godsend on manual shooting

Tf53

k0ji-wd said:
Use the finesse shot man, it's a godsend on manual shooting
I'm on semi. How much does manual differ from that? I always use the finesse shot. Even when I played myself, I loved to curl the ball past a helpless keeper. ;)

k0ji-wd

Tf53 said:
I'm on semi. How much does manual differ from that? I always use the finesse shot. Even when I played myself, I loved to curl the ball past a helpless keeper. ;)

Not sprinting also helps, and I tend to hold down the shoot button longer when I'm using a finesse shot since the power gauge seems to differ to me.

woodchuck

man, against Frenck today as Valencia, I was finishing all my chances. Like, I was in the zone with Silva and Villa. I used primarily LT + shoot.

there was no pressure for me since it wasn't my team, and I was nailing all my shots. another thing that might have helped is that I switched to a newer controller that had a tighter analog stick...

this was probably one of my best fifa games, and it wasn't even my team :(

7 shots
5 sog
3 goals scored

i shouldn't be telling you guys this, but check out valencia's custom tactics and formation. change the defense from offsides to cover. i used it with lyon, and my play improved sooo much.

i was getting a lot of great chances, players making diagonal runs across the face of the defender, but at the same time, my backline wasn't totally helpless.

woodchuck

N.A said:
Two more losses for Nottingham Forest and I don't think I deserved them. :/

First game against Inter my defender chested the ball down whilst facing his own goal even though I was furiously pressing B, replayy proceeded to just put it in the net. I managed to pull it back to 1-1 but then lost the ball in defence by it rebounding off the back of my own players legs and it was 2-1. I then defended till about 70 mins and then went for it... conceded 2 more goals, both because the Inter strikers can just run rings around my defenders.

The less said about the second game the better. I hate it when it feels like you lost the game entirely because of your players stats. I had the better possession & better chances but still lost 3-1.

I'm definately going to pick a 4 or 5 star team next season.

yep. thats why people online only pick either manchester united or barcelona. which sucks.

i'm still surprised that toronto fc and columbus are putting up strong fights though.

let's hope there actually is interest for a season 2. we might do something like...last place team gets to pick whoever they want first. of course, me and astro would still get first pick :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If we do a second season there will be far fewer people for sure. Also to reiterate some earlier comments I honestly don't think results-wise it makes that huge of a difference (and this is from experience in league games, in ranked games, in friendly games, etc.). There are a lot of different ways to approach it though.

Wait what? Games 7 and 8 are locked until the 30th?

k0ji-wd may as well forget that last game and play again when they are open, if it's in 2 weeks time.

k0ji-wd

gaaaaaaaaaah, so XBL has been absolute shit unstable for me for the last few hours or so but Feral Youth and I decided to play our upcoming game earlier anyway, and bam once we're in the game I start lagging like hell, couple that with me missing a host of one on one chances, and then 2 free kicks bounce off the cross bar in between teleporting players and severe slowdown, and then a disconnect in the second half. . .

we replay the game to finish off and magically XBL all of a sudden decides to be silky smooth and I win the rematch 6-0 but only managed to score 1 of those 6 goals in the time we allocated to be finished. . .AND just to taunt me further XBL disconnects me as soon as the final whistle blows. .

FUCK

lol

k0ji-wd said:
gaaaaaaaaaah, so XBL has been absolute shit unstable for me for the last few hours or so but Feral Youth and I decided to play our upcoming game earlier anyway, and bam once we're in the game I start lagging like hell, couple that with me missing a host of one on one chances, and then 2 free kicks bounce off the cross bar in between teleporting players and severe slowdown, and then a disconnect in the second half. . .

we replay the game to finish off and magically XBL all of a sudden decides to be silky smooth and I win the rematch 6-0 but only managed to score 1 of those 6 goals in the time we allocated to be finished. . .AND just to taunt me further XBL disconnects me as soon as the final whistle blows. .

FUCK

lol

I don't think we're supposed to play the game for another 2 weeks you know.

Seems like quit a few people are having problems with live. I've been having random disconnects, but none today so far.

I'd imagine that the fall update will fuck things up bigtime knowing Microsoft.

woodchuck

Feral Youth said:
Wait what? Games 7 and 8 are locked until the 30th?

k0ji-wd may as well forget that last game and play again when they are open, if it's in 2 weeks time.

games 7, 8, 9, AND 10 are due by the 30th. so you have to play the games by then.

Due to the thanksgiving holidays, I am unlocking MATCH 7, 8, AND 9, 10

These games must be played by November 30th. So if you know you're going to be busy during thanksgiving, get those games in as soon as possible!

So yeah, you guys can play 7,8,9,or 10 right now.

my bad if you guys tried to play your match earlier and it was locked. i was sleeping!

woodchuck

itxaka said:
Just posting, I'm here, will try to finish my last game today :D

thanks for posting

and on that note. here are the unplayed matches:

Match 5
Liverpool at Toronto FC
Bristol City at Fiorentina

Match 6
Liverpool at Manchester City
Osasuna at Fiorentina
AS Roma at Sunderland

Exypher

woodchuck said:
here are the unplayed matches:

Match 5
Bristol City at Fiorentina

Match 6

Osasuna at Fiorentina

I will be online tonight to play my matches, I've added both players to my friend list but haven't been able to catch them online yet.

itxaka

Defeatist
Exypher said:
I will be online tonight to play my matches, I've added both players to my friend list but haven't been able to catch them online yet.

Hey man, just sent you a pm, what time are you gonna be online?

I'll be available in an hour or so

woodchuck

shinobi posted this in the recap:

C. Barret, 82 Min

A thriller of a game with lots of chances on both sides. Just like the preseason match the game wasn't decided until the final moments. In this instance substitute and fan favourite Danny Dichio supplied a through ball to a charging Chad Barret on the left side of the field, and was able to run down and slide the ball into the net just ahead of Pepe Reina. After that, both teams fell victim to battling phantoms, with players getting tackled by air, leading to a tense finale. No one's sure what happened, but a full investigation into the bizarre happenstance will be launched by GAF, EA Sports, Microsoft and League Daddy.
ShinobiAM2

Who was invisible on both teams? My guess is that it was the subs. From my experience, whenever I get the invisible player glitch (every once in a while), it's always the subs that are invisible.

To alleviate the invisible player problem, try not skipping the cutscene that introduces the subs.

Or, try subbing only player 1 at a time and not skipping the cutscene

Exypher

good game itxaka, think I got a bit lucky with the early penalty and your red cards but I thought it was a deserved win at least :)

Now I hope Larsen B will get online tonight so I can get my 2nd game in!

itxaka

Defeatist
Exypher said:
good game itxaka, think I got a bit lucky with the early penalty and your red cards but I thought it was a deserved win at least :)

Now I hope Larsen B will get online tonight so I can get my 2nd game in!

Man, the first penalty was totally off. I thougth I didn't even touch you :/

And after that a total downfall D: I had no other means to stop you than making faults :/ but didn't expect 2 direct red cards D:

Good game thougth :)

Gowans

I'm having a mare. Sunderland = SHIT

Shit passing, shit tackling, shit striking, shit defending. Lose the ball ever second.

GAH!!! Good fun came with FF_VIII tho 3-0 whooping! :(

Exypher

itxaka said:
Man, the first penalty was totally off. I thougth I didn't even touch you :/

And after that a total downfall D: I had no other means to stop you than making faults :/ but didn't expect 2 direct red cards D:

Good game thougth :)

Yeah I agree, I didn't think it was a penalty at all. Such an early goal can really change a game, maybe it would've been different if I never got that penalty.

Good game to Larsen B as well, you were really pressuring me in the first 20 minutes but two quick consecutive goals really changed the pace of the game :)

woodchuck said:
man, against Frenck today as Valencia, I was finishing all my chances. Like, I was in the zone with Silva and Villa. I used primarily LT + shoot.

there was no pressure for me since it wasn't my team, and I was nailing all my shots. another thing that might have helped is that I switched to a newer controller that had a tighter analog stick...

this was probably one of my best fifa games, and it wasn't even my team :(

7 shots
5 sog
3 goals scored

i shouldn't be telling you guys this, but check out valencia's custom tactics and formation. change the defense from offsides to cover. i used it with lyon, and my play improved sooo much.

i was getting a lot of great chances, players making diagonal runs across the face of the defender, but at the same time, my backline wasn't totally helpless.

Good result, man, cheers.

My live has been acting up, I'm not sure it's just NXE as it is affecting the loading of my games, and it disconencts. I keep on getting messages in my inbox that ppl have sent about a week ago, can't delete them. Don't have a clue what's going on, but I'm dying to play some FIFA.

Tf53

Good games Astro. I fucking hate playing tired. When I'm tired, I get pissed off extremely easily. When that happens, I can just kiss that match goodbye. You saw what that was like in the second match. :D

God I fucking hate this game. Oh well, back to listening the Chargers game. Maybe some sleep would be a good choice, too.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I just wanna say I think there is a glitch in the game--first time I've seen it in 1v1 but basically if you slide in the box there is a chance a red card/penalty will be given even if you don't touch anyone. Your defender slid "at" Henry, but Henry was about 5ft away outside the box, yet since your defender was in the box he got a red card (no penalty though, at least). Strange. Worst I've ever seen was in one of our 10v10 games where we gave up a penalty for it.

itxaka

Defeatist
AstroLad said:
I just wanna say I think there is a glitch in the game--first time I've seen it in 1v1 but basically if you slide in the box there is a chance a red card/penalty will be given even if you don't touch anyone. Your defender slid "at" Henry, but Henry was about 5ft away outside the box, yet since your defender was in the box he got a red card (no penalty though, at least). Strange. Worst I've ever seen was in one of our 10v10 games where we gave up a penalty for it.

Same happened in my match today, was first to the ball and before touching it I slide and penalty for no reason xD

woodchuck

anyone up for a exhibition? i want to test out my new tactics on gaffers

nice! all games have been played and entered.

remember guys, 7-8 AND 9-10 are due by nov 30th (two weeks to play 4 games)

as of right now, both of the league owners are out of the playoffs. this is where i make my playoff push!

Top Bottom