• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Champions League (FIFA 09)

AndresON777

shooting blanks
woodchuck said:
Sorry to hear that. You and Peter Crouch will be missed. good luck with the financial stuff.

We'll either get someone on the waitlist or we'll have to get different substitutes that volunteer to play with Portsmouth each week.

I'll take his team I want his record!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
we can ask tse he's always playing fifa and i don't think the euro/na thing is that big of a deal since almost everyone plays their games on weekends anyway

woodchuck

haha. hey, if you're able to schedule a match with either Kobashi or CJelly...you can sub for Portsmouth this week.

but it might be easier if we get someone else from the EU conference to volunteer to sub for Portsmouth this week.

I'm still waiting on someone from the waitlist, but he's in Australia and it might be difficult to play with the europeans.

AstroLad said:
we can ask tse he's always playing fifa and i don't think the euro/na thing is that big of a deal since almost everyone plays their games on weekends anyway

yeah. i already pm'd him

woodchuck

also, i've been getting couple messages sent to me stating that not everyone may be using the specified controller settings.

To quote the Rules section in the OP:

Before each game, make sure your 360 Controller Settings are correct. Shot/Cross/Pass should be set to SEMI or MANUAL and NOT AUTO. Through pass and Lobbed through pass can be set to MANUAL OR AUTO. This is in keeping with the sim nature of the league. It also makes for a better and more realistic playing experience.

woodchuck

also...since I know the holidays are approaching and there might be less time available, we're trying to finish everything by Christmas.

Here's the schedule for the rest of the season just so you guys have a better idea. Also, note with Thanksgiving coming up, we're going to open two weeks at the same time. This means that you'll have to play 4 matches within two weeks instead of 2 matches per week.

Nov 16th - Matches 5 and 6 Due
Nov 30 - Matches 7,8,9,10 due
Dec 7 - Matches 11,12 due

Dec 14th - Playoff rounds 1 and 2 due.
Dec 21st - Semi finals and Final due.

Details about the playoffs and loser tournament will be posted as the end of the season nears.

As for the playoffs, keep in mind that the top two teams in each division do not automatically enter.

Division winner gets an automatic playoff spot. Then the other 4 teams that get into the playoffs are based on total points with tiebreakers in place (goal differential, division record, etc).

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Damn, I thought the top two teams made it. Oh well I guess I'll aim for the loser tournament.

Luckily I got gears to unleash my pent up fifa nerd rage!

Edit---so I guess I can go ahead and get all those matches out of the way?

woodchuck

ChrisGoldstein said:
Damn, I thought the top two teams made it. Oh well I guess I'll aim for the loser tournament.

Luckily I got gears to unleash my pent up fifa nerd rage!

you still have a shot for the playoffs. you're currently 9th in the standings

and you can start playing match 7,8,9,10 on November 16th

AndresON777

shooting blanks
woodchuck said:
you still have a shot for the playoffs. you're currently 9th in the standings

and you can start playing match 7,8,9,10 on November 16th

Cool. I have to practice I've only been playing gears and fallout they have me hooked

Tf53

Is it in any way possible to have the semifinals and finals on the same week? or adjust the schedule so that the whole thing would end before Dec 21st? I don't know if I'll be going home for Christmas (no HDTV, no online gaming) before that, but it's highly likely. I'm still delusioned enough to think I can win this thing (ha-ha).

woodchuck

Tf53 said:
Is it in any way possible to have the semifinals and finals on the same week? or adjust the schedule so that the whole thing would end before Dec 21st? I don't know if I'll be going home for Christmas (no HDTV, no online gaming) before that, but it's highly likely. I'm still delusioned enough to think I can win this thing (ha-ha).

the way it's set up, the semifinals and finals are on the same week.

But i mean, with the playoffs, if you finish early you can play your next game early too.

Basically, playoffs have to finish by Dec 21st.

So if people want to finish their games earlier, feel free to do so. If two people finish round 1 early, then they can play round 2 early also.

k0ji-wd

AstroLad said:

you should know i'm down for disss, but i wanna take Tottenham in as opposed to Pompey if that's alright

woodchuck

k0ji-wd said:
you should know i'm down for disss, but i wanna take Tottenham in as opposed to Pompey if that's alright

can you stick with portsmouth? the problem is all the stats and stuff will be messed up. and tottenham would make the division even more skewed.

be sure to read the OP and the rules also!

you'll have to enter the in-game league and play all your games through there. i can send you an invite to the in-game league.

if you have any questions about entering stats and stuff, let me know. you can also look at the box scores from other games to get a better idea of the stats.

Ajay1986

Oh man me and dk just played (Villarreal vs Hamburg) and i won 3-2. He was winning until the 87th minute when my main man Nihat struck, then in the 89th his defender let him down and i was able to score the winner.

woodchuck

if that was me, i probably would have thrown my controller at the wall and would be too pissed to enter the stats for a couple days

dk is a better man than i am

dk_

Ajay1986 said:
Oh man me and dk just played (Villarreal vs Hamburg) and i won 3-2. He was winning until the 87th minute when my main man Nihat struck, then in the 89th his defender let him down and i was able to score the winner.
Great game, so intense. It was definitely a bad idea to head the ball back to the keeper from such a long distance.

woodchuck said:
if that was me, i probably would have thrown my controller at the wall and would be too pissed to enter the stats for a couple days

Haha.

In the end he deserved it (especially when you look at the stats).

woodchuck said:
Sorry to hear that. You and Peter Crouch will be missed. good luck with the financial stuff.

We'll either get someone on the waitlist or we'll have to get different substitutes that volunteer to play with Portsmouth each week.

I'll do it........this week.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
woodchuck said:

Same here, I dont think I could've contained my anger after something like that. Shit like that has happened to me before online but not in a league game.

The last two games I lost I'm glad I wasnt home cos I was so pissed I immediately went to play gears. The first one I couldnt finish and Regret Truth scored at the end. Then against magicked I think I got a penalty called on me and then I just messed up on my defense....GRRRR lol

Magicked

ChrisGoldstein said:
The last two games I lost I'm glad I wasnt home cos I was so pissed I immediately went to play gears. The first one I couldnt finish and Regret Truth scored at the end. Then against magicked I think I got a penalty called on me and then I just messed up on my defense....GRRRR lol

Yea, you had to give up that penalty though because I was open on goal. Glad I didn't botch the pk though like I did against Fifty!:lol

Guys,

I may need a sub to play my games, as I'm on limited availability. A combo of work, and GF have eaten my time. But I'll be on about 6pm tomorrow for an hour. Then on Saturday mid-day.

If my victims...I mean opponents want to PM me with there availability, that would be great.

woodchuck

Level 8 Boss said:
Guys,

I may need a sub to play my games, as I'm on limited availability. A combo of work, and GF have eaten my time. But I'll be on about 6pm tomorrow for an hour. Then on Saturday mid-day.

If my victims...I mean opponents want to PM me with there availability, that would be great.

one of your opponents is Frenck who is currently banned. so you might have to message him on live.

Any takers for subs? If no one volunteers, I can probably sub on Saturday after the Arsenal match.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
so my brother rroded anyone who needs to play games against arsenal i'll take over for him until he gets his replacement

k0ji-wd

woodchuck said:
one of your opponents is Frenck who is currently banned. so you might have to message him on live.

Any takers for subs? If no one volunteers, I can probably sub on Saturday after the Arsenal match.

you have no IDEA how much i'd rather be valencia than pompey, David Villa or David Nugent? :lol :lol

it's ok though. . .heh

sneaky77

AstroLad said:
so my brother rroded anyone who needs to play games against arsenal i'll take over for him until he gets his replacement

when is it good for you? I have to play Match 5 against him. I can do it from 6-7est tonight, tomorrow afternoon between 4-7 probably, or late sunday after 8pm

woodchuck

k0ji-wd said:
you have no IDEA how much i'd rather be valencia than pompey, David Villa or David Nugent? :lol :lol

it's ok though. . .heh

haha. but if you check the stats leaders, peter crouch and defoe are at the top!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I just realized when ppl are subbing they'll have to send the player and/or team stats to the person they're subbing for to enter.

woodchuck

couple options we have:

if they tell us in advance who they're going to sub for, we can give them access to that team on league daddy just for that week so they can enter stats.

or they can just post the stats in this thread, and the original owner can enter them.

For people subbing games:

You'll have to play an unranked custom match - 7 min halves. If the match is tied after 90 minutes, write down the stats then. And just pause the game as many times as you need to. Just be sure that both teams DO NOT quit until all the stats are recorded. If someone quits too early, then the stats can't be recorded.

A good solution to this problem would be just to finish the rest of the game "for fun" after the 90 min stats are recorded. Or...you can send the other guy a message saying the stats are recorded. Then both teams can quit.

Tf53

Me and kobashi just finished our match. A hard-fought midfield battle that ended in a scoreless tie. I think the result was fair, but I'm still not satisfied. :D

By the way, I bought a longer RJ45 cable and hooked up my 360 directly to my modem. Haven't been getting the "session no longer available" messages anymore in quick ranked matches. Daigoro, we should try to hook up one of these days, maybe we'll even get to play each other this time. :lol

I so hate and love this game at the same time. There are some infurating flaws (the controls aren't fully analogue, and if you're trying to turn about 45 degrees, there's a huge risk you'll do a 90 degree turn, stopping your speed; keeper and also other AI is flawed; the button press lag etc.), but at the same time scoring a goal after a beautiful play is soooooo rewarding. I really wish they'll build on this years game and resolve the issues next year.

Shinobi

Another busy ass week for me...I won't be able to play my second scheduled game for this week against Roodster (Liverpool) till sometime tomorrow. I should be home all day Sunday.

woodchuck said:
jesus

i'm playing Frenck tomorrow afternoon. I hope to do Valencia and level 8 boss proud

Thanks Chuck. Of course it's up to you how to play, but I advise starting with the sub keeper, and Vicente for Mata.

Morientes is always an option if you need someone to hold up the ball, and pose an ariel threat. Can push Silva to the wing.

My live is down at the moment. I can connect briefly then I get disconnected, I don't have a clue what's going on, but I'm pissed!!!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Tf53 said:
Me and kobashi just finished our match. A hard-fought midfield battle that ended in a scoreless tie. I think the result was fair, but I'm still not satisfied. :D

By the way, I bought a longer RJ45 cable and hooked up my 360 directly to my modem. Haven't been getting the "session no longer available" messages anymore in quick ranked matches. Daigoro, we should try to hook up one of these days, maybe we'll even get to play each other this time. :lol

I so hate and love this game at the same time. There are some infurating flaws (the controls aren't fully analogue, and if you're trying to turn about 45 degrees, there's a huge risk you'll do a 90 degree turn, stopping your speed; keeper and also other AI is flawed; the button press lag etc.), but at the same time scoring a goal after a beautiful play is soooooo rewarding. I really wish they'll build on this years game and resolve the issues next year.

Haha yeah, I feel pretty much the same away. I absolutely detest the game sometimes and yet I can rarely resist going back for more.

woodchuck

Level 8 Boss said:
Thanks Chuck. Of course it's up to you how to play, but I advise starting with the sub keeper, and Vicente for Mata.

Morientes is always an option if you need someone to hold up the ball, and pose an ariel threat. Can push Silva to the wing.

My live is down at the moment. I can connect briefly then I get disconnected, I don't have a clue what's going on, but I'm pissed!!!

i think other people may be having trouble with live. might be due to nxe.

woodchuck

handed werder bremen it's first loss of the season: 3-1

man, valencia is a lot of fun to play as. david villa is a god in this game :lol

so i decided to steal valencia's tactics and formation for lyon. watch out na conference. the only problem is that my backline is complete shit.

N.A

Banned
Two more losses for Nottingham Forest and I don't think I deserved them. :/

First game against Inter my defender chested the ball down whilst facing his own goal even though I was furiously pressing B, replayy proceeded to just put it in the net. I managed to pull it back to 1-1 but then lost the ball in defence by it rebounding off the back of my own players legs and it was 2-1. I then defended till about 70 mins and then went for it... conceded 2 more goals, both because the Inter strikers can just run rings around my defenders.

The less said about the second game the better. I hate it when it feels like you lost the game entirely because of your players stats. I had the better possession & better chances but still lost 3-1.

I'm definately going to pick a 4 or 5 star team next season.

Top Bottom