• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Champions League (FIFA 09)

N.A

Banned
Great job on the league and schedule guys, I really appreciate all the effort.

I can't wait to get started.

Larsen B said:
Forest away again!

I really need to take my chances this time....

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
it's gon be zopitty

EDIT: Details about playoffs and scheduling forthcoming today. You can of course start scheduling and playing your Week 1 games (Matches 1 & 2; we are doing two matches a week).

woodchuck

Tf53 said:
Hey, time-saving idea time. Would it be possible for someone to collect links to everyone's profile in the OP? That way, it would be easy to find the person you need to PM for the next game. If I had some extra time, I could do it, but as it is, I don't really even have time to write this post. :( Ajay, if you read this, PM me with your suggestion for game time. I think I have some time over the weekend, but I'll be really pressed next week.

one of the good things about having everyone post in here is that:

if you click on the number of replies, it will show you everyone who posted in this thread. you can then click on their username and send a pm.

woodchuck

also...just for this "week", it will last until NEXT sunday (nov 2).

every week after that is going to be monday through sunday.

and since there are two matches per week, you can play them in any order.

d'oh. if you need to get ahold of chrisgoldstein, he got banned....just message him on xbl or through the league daddy message board in the designated thread.

woodchuck

also, we got rid of a separate category for goalie stats. we also got rid of "wins" for goalie stats.

Clean Sheet is included in player stats. Just select the goalie, and put a 1 for CS.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
woodchuck said:
d'oh. if you need to get ahold of chrisgoldstein, he got banned....just message him on xbl or through the league daddy message board in the designated thread.

:lol I can't believe we lost another one. Oh well Andres is good people I KNOW he'll be around.

Tf53

woodchuck said:
one of the good things about having everyone post in here is that:

if you click on the number of replies, it will show you everyone who posted in this thread. you can then click on their username and send a pm.
Ah, of course. Thanks for the tip.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So we're going to create a 7-minute league for the regular season. Woodchuck is going to create it and everyone will join and play their games through that league just like the preseason league. He'll post the info here.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh if you guys are gonna play now then just do it through custom match 7mins and then have a pen and paper near you so you can write down all stats after regular time (then check MotM after pks if it goes to OT; OT of course DOES NOT count, nor do any OT stats, just MotM). Then join the in-game league when it goes up.

Tf53

Sevilla - Villareal 0-2

Sevilla and Villareal kicked off the season in this week's EU Match of the Week. Sevilla's defence was tested throughout the game, but they had their chances early on, as Freddy Kanouté sailed past the Villareal defense. However, goalkeeper Diego López managed to sprint out from his goal and snatched the ball from Kanouté's feet despite the striker's valiant efforts at dribbling the keeper.

Villareal took the lead in the first half as Nihat followed his own shot that deflected off the post and slotted it in as Sevilla defenders looked in amazement. Sevilla tried to fight back, but in the final minute their struggle was stopped by Fernández, who put a free kick into the top right corner of Palop's goal. The so-called "foul" preceding the free kick later cost the referee not only his job, but also both his thumbs.

Villareal continue their strong form and show that their victory in the preseason wasn't only luck, as Sevilla slide even deeper into a managerial crisis. Will the slide continue, or has Sevilla already hit rock bottom?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
But then there are fewer opportunities for comedy, since at least for us polite folk it's easier to make fun of ourselves.

woodchuck

sorry guys. i was in school. i just got back. and i deleted the old league.

here's the info for the new in-game league with 7-min halves

EVERYONE must join the new in-game league. Leave the old-league and join the new one. I apologize for the inconvenience.

League name: 7 min neogaf
Abbreviation: gaf

password: gaf

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Playoff details:

Playoffs and Cup
The division leaders will automatically qualify for the playoffs. The next four spots will be assigned on the basis of points, then goal differential, then whatever we well please. So 16 teams will make the playoffs. The next 4 teams in each conference will qualify for the XVII Cup, our league equivalent of the UEFA Cup, which will have eight participants vying for the coveted title of "17th-best team in the league." Playoff format TBD, likely 2/3.

Daigoro

doh! a new league to join!

AstroLad said:
NEW POWER RANKINGS (w/ comments!) are up: http://www.leaguedaddy.com/leagues/rankings/?lid=2692

Lots of new appearances.

there is an error. the Revs only beat Chelsea 1-0, not 2-0. im gld i made it on the rankings board, but that should probably bump my ranking down a bit.

sneaky77 said:
yea, but it doesn't save the squad changes and is a pain lol

yeah, its annoying. your prefered setup should be automatically avalable to you even when online. its dumb.

woodchuck said:
also, we got rid of a separate category for goalie stats. we also got rid of "wins" for goalie stats.

Clean Sheet is included in player stats. Just select the goalie, and put a 1 for CS.

thats cool. no need for the W category.

is it possible or even do-able to add stats for MOTM stuff like tackles, pass completetion, etc? or is that just too much?

Ajay1986

Good game TF, it was a pretty close game overall. The freekick was a dubious decision but i wish i could have saved the goal because it was pretty sweet.

I also just voted on the poll for the playoff format, i think we should use the home/away game system and include the away goals rule.

woodchuck

Daigoro said:
is it possible or even do-able to add stats for MOTM stuff like tackles, pass completetion, etc? or is that just too much?

hmm. im not sure if you can do that just for motm. but i dont know what the general consensus is in terms of how many stats is too much. other people were already complaining about the amount of stats as is :p

Also, I added a new poll up asking you guys how you want the playoff format to be.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I like Home & Away or Best of 3. Only difficulty is if Home & Away ends in a draw after both matches, there's no way to do PKs to decide it. So maybe just have third tiebreaker match with PKs on (i.e. custom match).

woodchuck

AstroLad said:
I like Home & Away or Best of 3. Only difficulty is if Home & Away ends in a draw after both matches, there's no way to do PKs to decide it. So maybe just have third tiebreaker match with PKs on (i.e. custom match).

we could have the rule that the 2nd match of home/away has to be a custom match. if the aggregate and road goals are the same, the match continues into OT + PKs.

if someone is the clear winner, then stop the match after 90 min and record stats.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
woodchuck said:
we could have the rule that the 2nd match of home/away has to be a custom match. if the aggregate and road goals are the same, the match continues into OT + PKs.

if someone is the clear winner, then stop the match after 90 min and record stats.

Problem is let's say first match is 1-0 and second is 0-1 then you wouldn't go into OT. But yes second should be custom regardless (and if it's e.g. 1-1, 1-1 then you will have OT of course).

woodchuck

AstroLad said:
Problem is let's say first match is 1-0 and second is 0-1 then you wouldn't go into OT. But yes second should be custom regardless (and if it's e.g. 1-1, 1-1 then you will have OT of course).

ah...true.

then yeah. i guess we'd have to have a 3rd tiebreaker match. but for that, don't record any stats except who won.

Fifty

Not that I can offer a good solution for the conference playoffs, but for the final matchup: EU vs NA finals, much like the Champions League, we should probably just do one game..custom unranked game..and it can have the usual two OT's followed by PK's.

Maybe the two owners in the finals can decide if they want to increase the length of the game (to reduce the chance of it going to PK's), from 7 to 9/10 or something.

woodchuck

Fifty said:
Not that I can offer a good solution for the conference playoffs, but for the final matchup: EU vs NA finals, much like the Champions League, we should probably just do one game..custom unranked game..and it can have the usual two OT's followed by PK's.

Maybe the two owners in the finals can decide if they want to increase the length of the game (to reduce the chance of it going to PK's), from 7 to 9/10 or something.

yep, we're planning on having the final be one game.

Fifty

good luck to those playing their games this weekend. Something might be wrong with the servers (league or otherwise), so let us know if anything weird happens, like a disconnection.

Astrolad has played two games today and both have disconnected in the 70-80 minute range. My game with him will have to be replayed because it was 0-0 at that point. Damn, I had a lot of good chances too. I guess I'm glad I missed on all of them...

woodchuck

Since this is EA and disconnects are bound to happen, we've come up with a temporary solution:

if the disconnect happens in the 1st half, replay the match.

if the disconnect happens in the 2nd half, start a new game, but have the initial conditions as the conditions in the original game when the disconnect occurred.

ie. if it's 2-1 in the 75th min and the disconnect happens...make a new game but only play the first 15 minutes.

as for stats, player stats should be fairly easy. as for team stats, either input them to the best of your ability or don't put in anything (besides yc and rc which should be obvious)

If anyone wants to add anything or offer a different solution, feel free to do so.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Only thing I have to add is if you disconn, just don't enter ANY MOTM.

ffviii i will try to check later, woodchuck if you get on first can you check to see if someone accidentally took roma?

woodchuck

yeah. someone accidentally took roma. all parties involved: check your pm's.

AND A REMINDER TO EVERYONE:

join the NEW IN-GAME LEAGUE that's 7 minutes.

name: 7 min neogaf
abbreviation: gaf
password: gaf

Fifty

Fantastic game, Roodster. I'm sure you won't like the result..as you hung on amazingly well down a man down..but 90th minute goal aside, it was an immensely entertaining game. I'm not sure you read the thread, but if you do, good luck in your next game.

Fifty

So the NA conference is crushing the EU conference in terms of games played..

We've played 8 games, while the Euros have only played 1! Were you guys waiting for the weekend to end? Typically more games get played then, rather than fewer..but maybe it's backwards here and Monday night will see a ton of games logged.

woodchuck

yeah. come on guys! remember you can play Match 1 or Match 2 in any order.

looking at the leaderboards, liverpool is a dirty, dirty team.

woodchuck

besides making the playoffs, my goal for the season is to remove tevez's and ronaldinho's ugly mugs from the top of the leaderboard and replace it with either the sexy:

51012.TN__.jpg

or

Karim%20Benzema.jpg

dk_

Kobashi100 refuses to stop his torrents and the game is unplayable. Every 1 sec the game stops for 3 seconds. Unplayable!

And my second player of this week Exypher refuses to answer me in GAF and over Live although he's online.

EDIT: Ok, he wrote back.

Fifty

He refuses to stop his torrents? Jesus..I like a beastiality .avi as much as the next guy, but that's just too much.

dk_

Fifty said:
He refuses to stop his torrents? Jesus..I like a beastiality .avi as much as the next guy, but that's just too much.
All online games were great up to now except this one. Maybe he should upgrade his connection.

Fifty

Well, 'refuses' and 'refused' are two different things. If you could only play at one time, and he couldn't stop the torrents..that's different than any time you ask him to play, he refuses to stop them. If someone is running downloads, of course it's going to cause lag. Hopefully he's not being that inconsiderate and there's more to the story.

edit^: wtf...I give up. Just play.

dk_

kobashi100 said:
lol i dont use torrents! Never have in my life!

I have 8Mb BT Broadband!
Dude. I'm just playing another match and it works like a charm. The problem is on your side.

Top Bottom