• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Champions League (FIFA 09)

woodchuck

damn. another high scoring game.

as for the defensive controls, this might be helpful:

http://www.operationsports.com/foru...-updated-9-28-56k-warning.html#post2038741292

custom tactics: http://www.operationsports.com/foru...-updated-9-28-56k-warning.html#post2038744478

scroll down to defense.

also, in the formation screen, you can adjust the mentality of the defenders.

for example, with arsenal, the RB, Sagna, has attack on "medium" because he comes up sometimes to cross the ball. if you set it to "low", he'll stay back more.

Fifty

sneaky77 said:
I played against shinobi today.. I pm'd him on gaf and he replied and we set a time, no issues with him.

Yeah, I'm sorry Shinobi. Nice to see him repping Toronto FC well. The NA conference is taking care of business!

Magicked

Shinobi and I have our match scheduled for Thursday night. Should be a solid game!

Random question: How do you get a teammate to start a forward run? That Operation Sports guide talks about it, but doesn't tell you how.

sneaky77

Magicked said:
Shinobi and I have our match scheduled for Thursday night. Should be a solid game!

Random question: How do you get a teammate to start a forward run? That Operation Sports guide talks about it, but doesn't tell you how.

LB in my settings with new alternate

Shinobi

Yeah sorry guys, I've been pretty busy the last couple weeks or so, so I haven't shown up here as much as I'd like. Hopefully things will calm down a bit starting next week. It was a fun game last night BTW, could've easily been a draw...looking forward to Thursday.

woodchuck

Shinobi said:
Yeah sorry guys, I've been pretty busy the last couple weeks or so, so I haven't shown up here as much as I'd like. Hopefully things will calm down a bit starting next week. It was a fun game last night BTW, could've easily been a draw...looking forward to Thursday.

Yeah, we definitely understand if people are busy. I think the best thing would be to post in this thread if you are/will be busy. That way we know people are still involved with the leauge.

Daigoro

woodchuck said:
damn. another high scoring game.

as for the defensive controls, this might be helpful:

http://www.operationsports.com/foru...-updated-9-28-56k-warning.html#post2038741292

custom tactics: http://www.operationsports.com/foru...-updated-9-28-56k-warning.html#post2038744478

scroll down to defense.

also, in the formation screen, you can adjust the mentality of the defenders.

for example, with arsenal, the RB, Sagna, has attack on "medium" because he comes up sometimes to cross the ball. if you set it to "low", he'll stay back more.

cool thanks woodchuck. i actually know most of that stuff, i just think it comes down figuring out what will work best for my team and above all more practice.

ive read the operation sports guide once already, but ill be sure it give it another look.

edit: oh, i havent seen the stuff in that second link you posted. good stuff. thanks.

sneaky77 said:
LB in my settings with new alternate

is that how people keep punching holes in my back line? or is my defense just that pathetic?

sneaky77

Daigoro said:
is that how people keep punching holes in my back line? or is my defense just that pathetic?

it does help, but don't worry I haven't quite figured out what works for my style yet either.. my defenders are slow

Daigoro

i think everyone has that feeling. i was talking about it with Astro last night and he agreed that defenders just seem sluggish at times compared to forwards.

i think i might change to a 4-4-2 and work on how i want my defenders to act/postion themselves. also my overall team tactics.

see you in the rematch later in the season.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Gowans lost 6-0. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Yeah, the stats look a bit one-sided, as well. Gowans isn't that bad. I think he's out of practice.

Gowans

first game got lashed 6 - 0 from Roxas!!! Gutted!!!!

Nearly had an early goal but it was a right comedy of errors too.

SICK! now for the second match (rocky music on!)

Gowans

IM SICK!!! thought I'd go straight into the league game, GOD DAMN CROUCH!!!!!! THE BEANPOLE!!!

Right AllApologies lets get it over and done with!

Roxas

I dont know what to say really. Crouch and Defoe are pretty awesome together. freak result which wont happen again. gg Gowans

Gowans

no worries man, it was a good game you deserved it.

Just got beat off AllApologies a little more modestly, 1 - 0. Good game man my defense keep scaring me tho

N.A

Banned
Gowans007 said:
no worries man, it was a good game you deserved it.

Just got beat off AllApologies a little more modestly, 1 - 0. Good game man my defense keep scaring me tho

:lol

Can't believe I missed that penalty and hit the bar...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Movin' right along here. There will definitely be a shake-up in the Power Rankings this week again :lol.

Exypher

Got a 1-1 draw against Frenck. He scored in the 62nd minute from a corner, but I got a penalty in injury time from which I made the equalizer :D shot it straight through the middle!

Was a good game, but I really need to start finishing my chances.

FF_VIII said:
Feral Youth, wanna play our game?

Posting here cause I dont know what your GT is :D

Yeah. Feral Youth is my gamer tag. If I see you online via live I'll make a request to play through the 7min Neo gaf league. I'm indoors for the next two days anyway so I'll be around.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's the FINAL COUNTDOWN! (hilarious)

Remember you've gotta play BOTH your games by this Sunday at midnight eastern. If one person simply cannot be reached by his opponent, they will be booted. If both players are simply not paying attention, they'll both be booted.

As for me, I'm looking forward to my Match 3 & 4 games. :D

Fifty

I'm shocked that StrikeVillain hasn't played a game yet. He and I played our preseason game so promptly. Granted that might have been because I initiated the contact..but maybe he's at 0 GP because of his two opponents? Come on Strike..don't get kicked out of the league.

CARE. Show us you're trying!

Give us ideas for future polls on the website!

Make us League Clipart that we can send out for future League Memos!

Write, product and record the League Theme Song!

Videotape your 2 unplayed matches and upload them to youtube so we can all relive the glory!

Instead of just typing in the required stats, draw up a "Shot Map" that shows where all of your shots came from on the pitch. Go the extra mile!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I wonder if we can look into hiring a production company to put out a weekly "Inside the NeoGAF Champions League." Highlights, heartwarming profiles, GAFthletes in zany situations, the whole nine yards.

Larsen B

I'm playing N.A tonight and maybe Roxas too.

I'm surprised how popular I actually am, or at least, have been in the past fortnight when all I want to do is become King of the South.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
UPDATE, SHOCK: We're going to open the weekly games on Sunday, rather than Monday. So people can start playing their next set of games on Sunday, as well as complete their games on that day. E.g., you can start playing Matches 3&4 on your schedules THIS SUNDAY.

woodchuck

also, just as an fyi, the OP has all the gamertags grouped by team and division

and fucking hell. benzema was knocked out of the top 10 in goals.

Roxas

Larsen B said:
I'm playing N.A tonight and maybe Roxas too.

I'm surprised how popular I actually am, or at least, have been in the past fortnight when all I want to do is become King of the South.

Yup, ill be on later mate. Looking forward to a match after a shitty day at work. Expect plenty of Yellow cards and wild tackles :lol

Magicked

AstroLad said:
I wonder if we can look into hiring a production company to put out a weekly "Inside the NeoGAF Champions League." Highlights, heartwarming profiles, GAFthletes in zany situations, the whole nine yards.

Lol, that would be awesome. Actually, it would be neat if EA could create a spectator function for matches so others could watch the big games of the week.

I actually thought about picking up a capture card so I could record video from my 360, but they're too expensive.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Magicked said:
Actually, it would be neat if EA could create a spectator function for matches so others could watch the big games of the week.

Yep, I've been wanting that for long time in sports games.

stay gold

I was playing cjelly but got disconnected in the 2nd half. I have no idea what minute it was though, do we just play a half or something?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Disconnects
Since this is EA and disconnects are bound to happen, we've come up with a temporary solution:

if the disconnect happens in the 1st half, replay the match.

if the disconnect happens in the 2nd half, start a new game, but have the initial conditions as the conditions in the original game when the disconnect occurred.

ie. if it's 2-1 in the 75th min and the disconnect happens...make a new game but only play the first 15 minutes.

as for stats, player stats should be fairly easy. as for team stats, either input them to the best of your ability; just don't overestimate

Fifty

cjelly said:
It wasn't a disconnect, my 360 hard froze. I switched to my old Elite last week and the DVD drive is shit, it regularly freezes.

note to self: never play cjelly.

Since Astro didn't say what to do in case both parties forget what minute it was..I'd say they should estimate how much was left and play that (you might know that it was between 20 and 30 left for example, and then just play 25) or you can both just agree to do one half to settle it.

Magicked

Ahh, GG Shinobi. Your finishing was much better than mine. I totally botched a breakaway and put a header off the crossbar! TFC takes the top of the NA Dangerfield division by defeating the Crew 2-1.

Did you have any lag? The delay in this match seemed worse than the last I had.

fucking lost again...my schedule sucks and so do I. I at least scored once and let in 2 very simple goals while i fuddled with the controller. Fucking goalie just stands there like a retard.

Good game though.

Fifty

This is very confusing

http://www.leaguedaddy.com/leagues/schedule/date/gamestats.asp?lid=2692&did=127104&gid=1903956

The score is entered in (by Shinobi, presumably) as 2-1..but he puts down 3 goals in the "Game Recap" and 4 in the Player Stats. So basically I can't tell if it's 2-1, 3-1, or 4-1! :lol

Also, Osasuna, play your games! I know your team sucks, but deal with it. You should have picked Boca Juniors, River Plate, Celtic..or any other semi-highly rated team! No one should have to get kicked out, but that could happen in 3 days...

Magicked

Fifty said:
This is very confusing

http://www.leaguedaddy.com/leagues/schedule/date/gamestats.asp?lid=2692&did=127104&gid=1903956

The score is entered in (by Shinobi, presumably) as 2-1..but he puts down 3 goals in the "Game Recap" and 4 in the Player Stats. So basically I can't tell if it's 2-1, 3-1, or 4-1! :lol

It looks like maybe he had clicked to save player stats from the last time, so it kept who had scored and he just added to that. I can see how this is a little confusing. So don't check the "save players from last time" or whatever it is. You don't have to add to the stats from the previous game because it keeps track of that automatically.

Ajay1986

Just noticed i messed up the CS's for my goal keeper, i've corrected it now tho. Hopefully Level 7 will enter the match stats soon so my week 1 and 2 matches will be done and dusted.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Cool thanks.

So, games left to play. Remember you only have until Sunday night to play these. You can also play your Matches 3 & 4 (which must be played by NEXT Sunday) starting Sunday as well.

Unplayed/entered:
Werder Bremen at Olympique de Marseille
Valencia at Osasuna
Osasuna at Sevilla
Schalke 04 at Ajax
AC Milan at Real Madrid
Villarreal at Valencia
Inter Milan at Bayern München
Portsmouth at Bristol City

If anyone is standing you up or has screwed up stat entry, please get in contact with them to fix it. If that doesn't work, then we'll just get rid of them.

I'll also update the Power Rankings and Matches of the Week tomorrow. It seems that getting onto the Power Rankings can be a curse for some though.

Tf53

I'm working all weekend (Finnish Games Expo), but I'll try to squeeze my game with itxaka into Sat or Sun night. It's your fault if my gf leaves thanks to not seeing me in the past week! :)

Top Bottom