• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF DECEMBER 2009 Pick-Up Post! (Real pics or BAN!)

Krelian29

some games and Lost season 5 blu-ray:

08122009.jpg

and my 1/7 Saber Lily figure:

saber.jpg

Yes Boss!

practice02 said:
I'm a huge VOOT fan and have been considering importing a set of those how do they feel arcade quality?

I haven't had a chance to check it out since my big TV is turned vertical for Mushi. And I've never played VOOT, controller or in the arcade so I've nothing to compare it to. But to answer your question, the stick is massive and built like a tank. Super heavy with a wide base. The sticks are something from Sanwa so I reckon they are the best quality. I posted a pic of the internals in the arcade stick thread here.

Drame

Some manga:

n1azqe.jpg

Maria†Holic Vol. 2 and Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei Vol. 4

Some games:

i1i815.jpg

Bayonetta. Note to self: Never ever be cheap with shipping again.

zuiop0.jpg

Gundam vs. Gundam Next Plus.

Ready for my trip to Tokyo Sat...exchanged this just now for train/food/gashapon!!!

kJfHj.jpg

the exchange rate sucks...but I don't care...my hotel is in Akihabara and I am a 5 min walk from SEGA arcade....this is a dream!

Yes Boss! said:
How is this one??

(Also, good pick-up on Paper Plane)
It's pretty good I think and I had to support Brownie Brown for being awesome, so yeah.. :).

Rebought paper plane for my DSi LL, since you can't transfer DSiWare sadly. My current record is 222, it was 270 on my DSi. This annoys me a bit :mad:...

Litflynt912 said:
Ready for my trip to Tokyo Sat...exchanged this just now for train/food/gashapon!!!

kJfHj.jpg

the exchange rate sucks...but I don't care...my hotel is in Akihabara and I am a 5 min walk from SEGA arcade....this is a dream!

Yeah the exchange is getting pretty nuts. I'm sure you'll dig being in Akihabara. If you are excited about seeing the Club Sega arcade just outside Akihabara Station, you may or may not be a little dissapointed in how smoky, rundown, and crowded it may be. They are currently building a new one down the street but it won't be ready till probably after you return home. There are a few other arcades in the area, so even if the Club Sega lets you down, you may still be able to find your arcading bliss.

Also I highly reccomend Mandarake in Akihabara. It's a giant used anime/video games/and other memorabilia goods store. They moved to a larger, new location earlier this year and it totally rocks if you are into collecting older, hard to find games, or even new ones. They're on the same side as Club Sega just down the road a block or so away from the station entrance.

Here's their site: http://www.mandarake.co.jp/en/shop/cmp.html

But of course, they're just the tip of the friggin ice burg of nerddom. They just are one of the better ogranized of the bunch. I hope you are somewhat physically fit. You're gonna be going up and down an asston of stairs!

edit: You're gonna blow through that cash quick. Be careful when it turns into "change" because change is crazy easy to spend here too. Try to avoid conveninence stores and vending machines best you can. They'll eat your money fast.

Upsidedown Fuji said:
Yeah the exchange is getting pretty nuts. I'm sure you'll dig being in Akihabara. If you are excited about seeing the Club Sega arcade just outside Akihabara Station, you may or may not be a little dissapointed in how smoky, rundown, and crowded it may be. They are currently building a new one down the street but it won't be ready till probably after you return home. There are a few other arcades in the area, so even if the Club Sega lets you down, you may still be able to find your arcading bliss.

Also I highly reccomend Mandarake in Akihabara. It's a giant used anime/video games/and other memorabilia goods store. They moved to a larger, new location earlier this year and it totally rocks if you are into collecting older, hard to find games, or even new ones. They're on the same side as Club Sega just down the road a block or so away from the station entrance.

Here's their site: http://www.mandarake.co.jp/en/shop/cmp.html

But of course, they're just the tip of the friggin ice burg of nerddom. They just are one of the better ogranized of the bunch. I hope you are somewhat physically fit. You're gonna be going up and down an asston of stairs!

edit: You're gonna blow through that cash quick. Be careful when it turns into "change" because change is crazy easy to spend here too. Try to avoid conveninence stores and vending machines best you can. They'll eat your money fast.

damn good tip!

Thanks for the heads up man!

I am actually staying in Akihabara (MYSTAY)
and I am more excited for Super potato then Sega Arcade...

as for the money...it's only 420000 Yen ($500) and I got it to ensure I have cash on me from NEX to Akihabara station.
I got the money converted and THEN my Japanese by marriage boss tells me I could have used my Card...

thanks again! I am super stoked because this trip is all pleasure, no business...
and best part...
I LEAVE THE DAY AFTER FFXIII comes out!!!

but if you got a super fast way for me to get to the Tetsujin statue from Akihabara station, I would appreciate it!

Litflynt912 said:
Thanks for the heads up man!

I am actually staying in Akihabara (MYSTAY)
and I am more excited for Super potato then Sega Arcade...

as for the money...it's only 420000 Yen ($500) and I got it to ensure I have cash on me from NEX to Akihabara station.
I got the money converted and THEN my Japanese by marriage boss tells me I could have used my Card...

thanks again! I am super stoked because this trip is all pleasure, no business...
and best part...
I LEAVE THE DAY AFTER FFXIII comes out!!!

but if you got a super fast way for me to get to the Tetsujin statue from Akihabara station, I would appreciate it!

Getting to the Tetsujin 28 statue in Kobe would have to be a day trip at the very least. Osaka is not very close to Tokyo and the fastest way between the two points would be to use the Shinkansen which is pretty darn expensive.

If you really visit the statue, I'd suggest making arrangements to stay in a hotel over night in Osaka because it takes a few hours to get between both places plus any time you take to eat, sight-see, etc. Plus Osaka has their own cool shopping areas like Nanba. It would be a waste not to see what Osaka has to offer. It's like a completely different place compared to Tokyo too.

Here's a website where you can figure out how to connect to trains and look up schedules in English.http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

rykomatsu

Litflynt912 said:

Wait if you're going to Akihabara after taking NEX, why not just take the Skyliner (Keio line) from Narita to Ueno and just walk down the street to Akihabara instead? It's about 1/2 the cost I think...1920yen vs 4500yen give or take for NEX (and I'm assuming you don't have a rail pass from how you've written your comment). Gives you an extra ~$25 to spend :p

dec_02.jpg

Best audio commentary of the series so far :D

Been a long time since I bought anything Star Wars related, so I went with this:

Marc Ecko's X-Wing Pilot hoody

IMG_1312.jpg

IMG_1313.jpg

And for the hood itself, there's a 'visor'. :)

-PXG-

Auron_Kale said:
Been a long time since I bought anything Star Wars related, so I went with this:

Marc Ecko's X-Wing Pilot hoody

IMG_1312.jpg

IMG_1313.jpg

And for the hood itself, there's a 'visor'. :)

I'm not into Star Wars, but that is fucking cool.

rykomatsu said:
Wait if you're going to Akihabara after taking NEX, why not just take the Skyliner (Keio line) from Narita to Ueno and just walk down the street to Akihabara instead? It's about 1/2 the cost I think...1920yen vs 4500yen give or take for NEX (and I'm assuming you don't have a rail pass from how you've written your comment). Gives you an extra ~$25 to spend :p

Thanks for the tip...
umm...because I don't like new things...lol j/k

I didn't even know about the skyliner....
I think taking the NEX to Tokyo Station might be a more "in country" experience anyway...
and since my Hotel is about 4 blocks from the Sega Arcade (which I believe is right outside the station anyway)
It allows to me goof off on the way to the hotel a little bit...since I fly in late (3pmish)and won't have much time the first night to do much...

rocK`

Banned
Litflynt912 said:

I have travelled to jpn (tokyo, usually stay in ikebukuro) for the past two years, I know it's a bit late, but honestly, exchanging money there is more 'profitable' (aka you won't get bit on the ass that hard) than it is changing it here.

I think it's because your dollar is valued more there than their yen is and the opposite is true with us..

Have fun though :) I like Akihabara, but couldn't stand to live in it...too many people >.>

Gameboy415

Litflynt912 said:

kJfHj.jpg

It's really bizarre that they gave you so many 2000円 notes.... some stores and nearly all vending machines won't accept them!

If you do think you'll make it out to Osaka, I highly recommend checking out DenDen Town in Nippombashi. It's less crowded than Akihabara and I've found a lot of great stuff much cheaper too!

Ledsen

Gameboy415 said:
It's really bizarre that they gave you so many 2000円 notes.... some stores and nearly all vending machines won't accept them!

If you do think you'll make it out to Osaka, I highly recommend checking out DenDen Town in Nippombashi. It's less crowded than Akihabara and I've found a lot of great stuff much cheaper too!

I`ve lived in Tokyo for 6 months and I didn`t even know 2000 yen notes existed :lol

DTJAAAAM said:
So far December has been a good but expensive month:

pokedsi.jpg

Saw a few of these on yahoo auctions, got to admit I think they look a bit ugly compared to most of pokemon ds's but its still an awesome/expensive pickup!

drkOne

Books!

w1y337.jpg

I seriously should control myself when it comes to buying too many 1st volumes, when I get to vol 2 of anything I already forgot the story of the first one…

Ledsen said:
I`ve lived in Tokyo for 6 months and I didn`t even know 2000 yen notes existed :lol

LOL...I got the money exchanged at American Express because they don't charge me any fees...
I am getting more info just this morning for GAF about my monetary debacle than I have for the last week I spent researching...
*goes back to research methods 203 course book*

but in all honesty...thanks for the heads up guys..I plan to take numerous shots and once I can start a thread I will and hope to have a general "lets go to Akibahara" thread in OT..

my plan is...2 days in Aki...1 in Shibuya/Ginza...and 1 hopefully in Osaka...
but things change...

for the 2000 yen notes..looks like that is what I will be using at the family mart for my late night bento...:D

Lourio

Gameboy415 said:

Just curious... why wouldn't they accept the 2000 notes?

Top Bottom