• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF FFXI FAQ/Starter topic Redux

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Well, made it to sea. Very pretty place.

There was a bit more to do before we coudl go to sea. 3 NM fights, and then onto sea. here are soem pictures.

THE ONES JUST LINKED TO ARE SPOILERS

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/DrForester/airship1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/DrForester/Promathia1.jpg

sea3.jpg

sea2.jpg

sea1.jpg

Rorschach

DrForester said:
Well, made it to sea. Very pretty place.

There was a bit more to do before we coudl go to sea. 3 NM fights, and then onto sea. here are soem pictures.

THE ONES JUST LINKED TO ARE SPOILERS

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/DrForester/airship1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/DrForester/Promathia1.jpg

sea3.jpg

sea2.jpg

sea1.jpg
Awesome. Especially the first 2 pics. I'm just sorry I'll never get to see those things firsthand.

Do any sites have the CoP and RoZ stories uploaded?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Man story wise, square didnt get to much further in COP. Seems the story deosnt go much past entry into sea. There is 1 mission in sea so far, but it's not very hard. When you seem to finish it, the mission log doesnt go past 8-1. Bonus is, seems we can look forward to anothe rbig update in the future. But at least you get something nice out of it. Unlike Zilart, there have been 2 rewards so far for doing the missions.:

Ducal Guard Ring: (rare/ex)
This ring warps you to Ru'Lude Gardens in Jeuno. lvl 1 ring. 5 charges, 24 hour wait between uses. Efforts are underway to see if it can be recharged or bought once you've gotten one already. Given to you after first Airship Battle (Chapter 6-4). Given that things do open up the farther in promathia missiosn you go (Besides new areas, you do get access to Jueno AH from safehold once you hit chapter 4) seems liekely somethign can be done about this.

Tavnanzia Ring: (rare/ex)
This ring warps you directly to Tavnanzia Safehold. lvl 60 ring Unlimited uses, 24 hour wait time. Given after (supposedly finishing) Mission 8-1 in Sea.

Little more about sea. the entrance to sea is an airship in Sealion's Den. It's a quick CS warp, not an actual airship ride. Mobs are non agro, but there's a catch (Kinda like sky). In Sea you walk on the water. Monsers on top of the water will not agro you. There are goldfish mobs that will agro and follow you, but wont attack (Supposedly at some point they will, but I have yet to see it and i've had plenty following me). Under the water there are goldfish and stingrays. Approach either and they will come out of water. Goldfish will follow but not attack, stingrays will attack if they come up. None of these mobs are very hard. They have some status attacks, but nothing serious. I think this will be a very good place for lvl 65-70 parties to exp someday. 1 NM has been foudn in sea so far. This NM is in the sky (High in the sky, pretty much have to go into first person mode and look up to see it). It's a big jellyfish. Walk under it, it agros.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
man, realized it's been a long time since I cancelled the game.

Somethings I do kind of miss....but man, alot of it I don't.

Some of those new areas are pretty neat looking. And the Airship battles look cool and sucks I never got to try that.

Alex

I miss most of it, it's a better game than WoW, Blizzard takes absolutely no care of their bug ridden, glitchy ass MMO.

I just don't have the time for it anymore, sadly. If they make any large changes to help with that, or release a sequel, I'd be there day one, however.

I think most of all I'll miss the whole flair of it. Easily my favorite world and art design in a game, ever. That's why I'm so pissy about FFXII being based around the abysmal FFT universe.

Ikse

Yep FFXI will forever have a place for me, even though endgame was hell, I used to crave it every day. If the game didnt become so GMT unfriendly, I would never have gone to WoW.

Kandinsky

Anyone wants to help this poor lil Taru/BLM50 (who has been stuck for like a week), get his G1 done?, if so /tell Sacan :p

(Thank you).

Edit: Server>Fairy

Belfast

Alex said:
I miss most of it, it's a better game than WoW, Blizzard takes absolutely no care of their bug ridden, glitchy ass MMO.

I just don't have the time for it anymore, sadly. If they make any large changes to help with that, or release a sequel, I'd be there day one, however.

I think most of all I'll miss the whole flair of it. Easily my favorite world and art design in a game, ever. That's why I'm so pissy about FFXII being based around the abysmal FFT universe.

Indeed, its been months since I've looked at this thread or even touched FFXI. After I had to wipe it from my HD from a reformat, I didn't feel like taking the hours upon hours to re-install it. WoW left me pretty unenthralled. In the beginning, it was kind of neat. I liked how it was faster paced and all, but eventually it felt like it was TOO fast-paced. At the same time, it really didn't. Its hard to explain. Its obvious that you got a lot more rewards for completing quests, but the quests all felt so "samey" and too drawn out for what they were. Maybe things didn't take a long time, but they *felt* like they did.

FFXI has its problems too and all of the great lengths you need to go to get things done CAN get annoying, but I still have really fond memories of the game. Like Alex, if they release a REALLY good expansion or a sequel, I'll be there. For now, I've lost my character to the depths of the PlayOnline servers and I'd have to start all over again. Maybe that's what I need, though, start fresh and do things better the second time around. But for now, I have plenty of other games to play. I still love FFXI and still hold it in higher regard than WoW. If FFXI had incorporated some of the better elements of WoW (better rewards and experience rewards for questing), I would most certainly still be playing, though. Hopefully they change things for the better in the future!

Azrael

If FFXI had incorporated some of the better elements of WoW (better rewards and experience rewards for questing),

Square did do something like this with the last update called ENMs. They're basically like BCNMs, except that instead of trading Beastmen Seals and Kindred Seals for orbs, you do a repeatable quest for a key item to enter. Each ENM can be done once per five real life days. ENMs drop items like BCNMs do, but they also give each player 3k exp, and there's no exp loss for wiping. The only problem is you have to go through level capped areas to reach the lvl 30, 40, and 50 capped ENMs.

Alex

For as much as I enjoy WoW, my overall opinion of the game paints a fairly dark picture when asked to describe my faults with the game, haha.

But, oddly enough, almost everything WoW does wrong, FFXI does right. And vice versa, almost everything WoW does right, FFXI does wrong. The issue being I'm simply more interested, and find what FFXi does right to be far more substantial.

Xaerus

Azrael said:
Square did do something like this with the last update called ENMs. They're basically like BCNMs, except that instead of trading Beastmen Seals and Kindred Seals for orbs, you do a repeatable quest for a key item to enter. Each ENM can be done once per five real life days. ENMs drop items like BCNMs do, but they also give each player 3k exp, and there's no exp loss for wiping. The only problem is you have to go through level capped areas to reach the lvl 30, 40, and 50 capped ENMs.

ENM's rock. It's actually not always 3000 XP, I've gotten anywhere between 2500-4000XP. Besides that, these things make a lot of money.

Viridian Urushi: 1.5mil (more if you convert it to JSE)
Gelateia: 6mil (some fool actually bought mine off the AH)
Gigant Mantle: 15mil
Raise 3: 3mil (Sold to LS Member for it's old price)
Venturer's Belt: Don't remember how much it sold for.
Forager's Mantle x 2: Sold to LS Member.
Martial Wand: Hasn't sold.
Dragon Bone: 600k
Cassia Lumber: Don't remember.
Martial Gun: 1m

It's disgusting. We got those drops from the 75 Cap ones (yes, they are capped at 75) but those are just the major drops. None of these are really hard, if you know what's expected. 75 caps, unlike the others involve doing a prequest, which is basically retrieving something in the zones before the zones the actual battles are in. By doing this prequest you get an item that allows you to entire the battlefield.

Let's see: Sheep in Antlion's Clothing (Boneyard Gully/Attohwa Chasm) was basically an Antlion boss who retreats and has several "fakes" in the zone with you. We got Viridian Urushi, Forager's Mantle, Martial Wand and a Venturer's Belt from this one. Urushi is fairly common.

Bionic Bug (Mineshaft #2716) is basically a bugbear NM that spams Mighty Strikes like that Goobbue NM in Boyahda. Got 2 Dragon Bones, Cassia Lumber and Raise 3 from this one. Not PLD tankable.

When Hell Freezes Over (Boneclaw Pinnacle): About 6 Snolls that spawn, sometimes in pairs. Fairly easy fight, and plenty of kite room if you need it. We got Gelateia and a Martial Gun from this.

Follow the White Rabbit (Boneclaw Pinnacle): One big fat rabbit at first (highly resistant to enfeebles) with a lot of HP, probably a MNK. Now this at first was easy, then when the big rabbit was at about 50% HP, 5 smaller rabbits spawn and start EATING YOUR FACE. These are highly resistant to enfeebles as well. 4/6th of my PT died. We won, but I think all we got was Viridian Urushi...don't quite remember.

Holy Cow (Boneclaw Pinnacle): It's just a giant buffalo, you can't straight tank him, have to kite him. He has some sort of shield, he can vary from being immune to damage, resistant and fully susceptible (afaik). He's not hard after you get over the fact that he has this shield. Easy to Gravity. Gigant Mantle dropped from this. :lol

Oh and Shouta, PLD/NIN would work, if PLD's had provoke.

Azrael

It's too bad I'm only level 61, and I've only done CoP Chapter 1. The level 30 ENMs have crap drops that when split 6 ways probably wouldn't even cover the cost of food/meds to win the fight. I can't access the zones for the 40 and 50 ENMs, and I'm too low level for the uncapped stuff.

I want to do more CoP missions, but I have to beg to get anything done. It took four weekends to get Chapter 1 done, and we were 3/4 on our runs. We owned them when we went, but it was near impossible to get everyone logged on at once and in the mood to go. And nobody seems to really give a shit about doing Chapter 2.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
nataku said:
Huh? Wasn't this a few hundred thousand when not too long ago? o_O

Things are quite a bit different than from when you left. Too bad your character may be dead now, SoD can do some very cool things now (FU sky stuff though, I hope we actually never get that LS as a whole invovled in sky).

Xaerus

Yeah, um, Shouta, how is PLD/NIN good unless you're soloing? Speaking of PLD, LEVEL IT. :lol

Darsh, I couldn't imagine SoD doing anything in sky aside from XPing off Statues, Decorative Weapons, Aura Weapons and Flamingos. Well....maybe kill Ullikummi, but that's pointless unless you want god popping items.

By the way, did you hear anything about the latent on Destroyers? I heard that after 500 WS, it unlocks it, but if you do 500 more, they lock again.

Oh and what happened to you guys and Cata's Dynamis? I heard it had to do with Nightwing not getting AF2?

Ploid 3.0

I feel untouchable as a THF tanking for Spider and the adventure/exploring crew. I want to do some ballista stuff, but after I get thf to 75 with capped evasion skills (including the evasion "skill"+ gears). I'm glad I stuck with THF.

Dragon Bone: 600k

I want that friggin jse ; ;

Shouta

Yeah, um, Shouta, how is PLD/NIN good unless you're soloing?

Questing you dingbat =P.

Darsh, I couldn't imagine SoD doing anything in sky aside from XPing off Statues, Decorative Weapons, Aura Weapons and Flamingos. Well....maybe kill Ullikummi, but that's pointless unless you want god popping items.

With a few more BLMs and a few RNGs, we could take Genbu in Sky. The other Gods would be another issue but we could probably take Genbu with some more folks (probably 3-5). Then again, I didn't expect you to know that since you never bothered hanging around and doing stuff with us on a regular basis or at least trying too.

Oh and what happened to you guys and Cata's Dynamis? I heard it had to do with Nightwing not getting AF2?

Quite a number of things actually which includes Dynamis. Evilmanta and Nightwasp screwing Nightwing for his AF2 was one of them. I left due to a disagreement with lotting rules for Xarcbard/Beaucedine (although I was kind of getting tired of how idiotic Dynamis is run in Cata too sometimes) There's also a lot of the internal bullshit inside the core Catalyst shell as of late that's caused a number of us to drop from doing anything with them.

Xaerus

Questing sure, but other than that....its not that useful. You can take Genbu with 6 people, just kite him. Good luck getting the pop items though. :lol

Azrael

Raise 3: 3mil (Sold to LS Member for it's old price)

Charging 3 million gil to a friend for an ENM drop, when no seals are required to enter the battlefield? I wouldn't stay in an LS that would do something like that.

Ikse

Raise 3 is worth 3 mil on Fairy as it stands. They sold it for what it *used* to be, which I can't remember what it was. Definately <1 mil

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
My LS gave me R3 for nothing after we got drop of Kirin.

if a LS member really needs a item, and the LS gets it, I dont think selling it to the other member is right. I think LS is about helping eachother out.

Xaerus

Azrael said:
Charging 3 million gil to a friend for an ENM drop, when no seals are required to enter the battlefield? I wouldn't stay in an LS that would do something like that.

Please note: I said sold to an LS member for it's old price. That's like 500k.

It's true that you don't need seals to enter the battlefield, but getting to that point isn't as easy as it sounds. Uleguerand Range is not a walk in the park, it's like Ifrit's Cauldron with extra Truesight mobs on the side. On top of that, the person who's getting the scroll is not the only person there. It's extremely unfair to just give it to the person, we're there for the experience and to make gil. Would you just give it to a person if it dropped in a BCNM? I wouldn't.

If we were to do Kirin for example, and got the drop we'd give it away. ENM/BCNM are completely different.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
oy, I don't need to read this thread, following Mana's "we'll let you back in!" thread..

I swore to lay off the Tar, and I mean it!!!!!....MAYBE

ManaByte

Just reactivated my content ID. Sigh. patching the PS2 version now. The content ID showed my character still there (despite closing it on October).

ManaByte

Lonestar said:
wonder if they could bring back a characther I deleted.

They can ONCE. There's a thing on the official site about it.

Frankly I like WoW, I just hate the total mental retardation of the player base. I am sick and tired of logging into Orgrimmar to see ASCII cocks scrolling in my text box, and worse. If you say anything, the retards will just name-grief you.

ManaByte

Well my WAR on Fairy is still there despite closing the ID in October. Need to reinstall on the PC now.

No ASCII cocks in the chat window! How nice!

ManaByte

I leveled my HUME WAR from 6 to 8 today on Fairy, and then died and deleveled back to 7 with 80xp needed to get back 8.

Anyways from selling crystals on the AH I managed to replace the horrible looking bronze newbie armor with the cooler level 7 leather.

Azrael

If you need money right now, don't farm, just check in every hour, get as many Easter eggs as you can from the Moogles, and bazaar them. Works best with a mule and Colored/Party Eggs to trade for more eggs/day. I think I made around 100k today on eggs while only playing a couple minutes, plus got a Happy Egg (great for PLD).

ManaByte

Rorschach said:
:lol You recovered a level 6 character?

Nope.

It was never deleted.

They aren't doing that "come back" thing yet anyways:
“Return Home to Vana’diel Part I” applies to players who have already unsubscribed from PlayOnline and can’t return because their registered information has been deleted. For players who have deleted FINAL FANTASY XI characters but have not unsubscribed from PlayOnline, we’re planning “Return Home to Vana’diel Part II” in early June. More details and information on how to participate will be announced at a later date, so please wait until then.

The campaign will run from 4pm PDT Thursday, April 14 to 4pm Wednesday, July 13, 2005 (planned).

If you need money right now, don't farm, just check in every hour, get as many Easter eggs as you can from the Moogles, and bazaar them. Works best with a mule and Colored/Party Eggs to trade for more eggs/day. I think I made around 100k today on eggs while only playing a couple minutes, plus got a Happy Egg (great for PLD).

I sell eggs for 2k each. And they go fast. Also it helps if you announce the letters you have on the bazaar.

Ikse

So this shows that SE don't actually delete your characters when you stop paying the sub? Why can't they just keep them indefinately like WoW. I've got a FFXI character I've put years into and just cant imagine deleting him since it would feel like a waste of time in the end - so i'm paying the sub each month to keep him active.

Scott

Square Enix's system is just wonky. Some player's characters get wiped after the 90 days, some stay; some player's serials invalidate along with their ID, others return 6 months later no problem... I think their system is just really glitchy.
ManaByte said:
I leveled my HUME WAR from 6 to 8 today on Fairy, and then died and deleveled back to 7 with 80xp needed to get back 8.
*blinks*

Is that your highest job? Did you only play a couple hours or something? I guess that explains why I only saw you online once. :lol

Top Bottom