• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF FFXI FAQ/Starter topic Redux

ManaByte

Scott said:
Square Enix's system is just wonky. Some player's characters get wiped after the 90 days, some stay; some player's serials invalidate along with their ID, others return 6 months later no problem... I think their system is just really glitchy.*blinks*

Is that your highest job? Did you only play a couple hours or something? I guess that explains why I only saw you online once. :lol

Yea. I'm having fun now that I've leveled him up to nearly 9. The exp loss on death and gil issues annoyed me in the past, but now I'm making money on the AH and I can deal with the exp loss as it's less annoying than the retards that infest the WoW servers.

Shouta

XP loss wasn't a big thing until really high levels. I never really understood the complaint from detractors. I guess they're "I don't want to see bad things happening la-la-la-la-la" type of folks =b.

Ploid 3.0 said:
I feel untouchable as a THF tanking for Spider and the adventure/exploring crew.
Lol, that sounds like its a club or something.

Xaerus, if someone needed a sword or something from enm, I'm ok with them grabbing it. I'm not just saying that because i'm trying to BC/ENM Raise 3 either. :p If ploid is with us on a enm that drop his bone, fine with me he takes it. Stuff for 8 mil is different yeah,

Xaerus

See that's the thing, the majority of the stuff that drops are not necessities. Raise 3 is one of the only things that's an exception, that's why the majority of people will give it away or highly discount it. The prices it sells for are absurd, if it were still 500k, no one would be complaining.

Consider this, I've made about 6-7m off the sale of these items (same with the people I've gone with). Most of which did not come from Raise 3. Just look at the Gelateia and Gigant Mantle, they sold for a total of 21m. Compared to the 500k pricetag we set on Raise 3, there's quite a big gap.

Stuff like BCNM and ENM are not treated as LS Events (missions, gods, HNMs, and stuff like that are LS Events), so LS Loot Rules don't apply (at least in TG). That's how it is in an HNM/Sky LS.

ShadowRed

Banned
Can anyone explain how fishing works in the darn game now? I haven't been able to catch a darn thing since the update. I've lost nearly 20,000 in fishing shit due to my lines breaking.

hgplayer1

I have a slight problem with the Wading Beasts mission. I just reactivated my account the other day and thats the only current mission I have even though Ive already completed it once before and it also shows in the completed missions. I decided to just complete it and get it out of the way and work on the next one. well when I take a lizard egg to the senator it doesnt do anything. I cant seem to get around this at all and its been so long since I acquired the mission I dont remember if there were any other specifics to it. I tried getting another mission but it wont let me because that one is active. any ideas?

Xaerus

ShadowRed said:
Can anyone explain how fishing works in the darn game now? I haven't been able to catch a darn thing since the update. I've lost nearly 20,000 in fishing shit due to my lines breaking.

It's pretty simple. When your rod goes to the right, hold the left arrow button, and keep going in the opposite direction that your rod is pointing. When the fish' HP bar gets to zero, hit enter and you'll catch it.

Xaerus

overlordbakgodek.jpg

Ding ding ding killshot! I won the Nightmare Sword too....not that I can really use it. :lol

Rykoshet tanked the overlord as a RNG/NIN with BRD support. His Utsusemi: Ichi recast was 12s and his Utsusemi: Ni recast was 18s. The dead people are all Taru's who got hate.

Ploid 3.0

My shell was supposed to fight that, maybe they was there (I couldn't log on, took a pic of the place holder as it died but I have no access to it ; ;). Gratz though.

/sigh I can't play FFXI until sony fix my HDD or whatever. I might have to just buy another one >.> Just when I was having fun. Oh yea Xae, Najii is in a HNMLS lol. I'm responsible for him though.

Xaerus

I think I remember someone saying an LS killed the placeholder and they were all like: OMG WE KILLED THE WARLORD!

That amount to nothing, I could probably duo him.

As for you being responsible for Najii, well, /comfort. :lol

Crystalkoen

So, does SoD still exist? If not, is there a new LS having taken its place, or did everyone go their own separate ways? I'm thinking about taking SE up on their "Undelete your character and have a month for free!" offer, even though I doubt I'll stick around past that month, or even play very much beyond a few hours nightly (with a little more on Weekends).

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Crystalkoen said:
So, does SoD still exist? If not, is there a new LS having taken its place, or did everyone go their own separate ways? I'm thinking about taking SE up on their "Undelete your character and have a month for free!" offer, even though I doubt I'll stick around past that month, or even play very much beyond a few hours nightly (with a little more on Weekends).

It's still around ^^ Small, but still around. I'm usually playing my second character while my first is chillin in Bibiki Bay, soaking up the rays of sunshine till someone needs him.

Kintaro

Shouta said:
We were big? =P

We've had more than 8-10 on at one time. =P Maybe enough for two parties in an alliance! Two UBER PARTIES OF GAFDOM! MUHAHAHAHA

Goddamn SE, this server downtime always hits on the day I have the most time to play. ><

Crystalkoen

Does the LS still have peeps in every level range, or are most in their 70s, only doing high end crap these days?
And, more importantly, is there a message board for the LS anymore? I noticed Monkeyretox's board went away awhile ago.

Kintaro

Crystalkoen said:
Does the LS still have peeps in every level range, or are most in their 70s, only doing high end crap these days?
And, more importantly, is there a message board for the LS anymore? I noticed Monkeyretox's board went away awhile ago.

We all lvl varying jobs, but most of us have a lvl 70+ job as well. I'm working on a Galka character right now working through lowbie jobs and Subjobs for some...future...job that... I can't make up my mind on doing. =x

I dunno the LS's forum offhand though.

Kintaro

Goddamn our PT owned. Len is out new 6th member/DD on his PLD. I hope you SS'ed some of those SpinSlashs Shouta. lol. I wish I SS'ed that 1450 Dragon Kick ><

Shouta

Don't have Fraps on this comp at the moment so I didn't get pics. I still can't believe I got freaking jipped 8 points from breaking the 4 digit barrier on those weapons >_<

Tabris

Question, I know you're a fan of DD for Paladin and I won't argue that it should be tank only with ya (we'll agree to disagree), but what's the benefit of picking a DD Paladin over MNK, DRK, and RNG?

They will never do more damage than those 3 classes. So why would you chose a DD PLD over those 3 jobs?

I'm not trying to argue, I won't even respond, just want your opinion so I can understand your viewpoint.

Shouta

MNK and RNG are DD only classes so there really isn't a comparison. The comparison of PLD and DRK would be best since PLDs and DRKs have the same niche to fill (burst damage/support casting post 60 as /THF sub which most DRKs do).

DRKs and PLDs actually do fairly similar damage aside from Job abilities with the right setup. PLDs would lag a bit per normal hit and a bit of accuracy but ultimately they can fill the spot of a DRK in the same instance. Mind you this is with a BRD. I was kinda gimping it around with my gear since I didn't have as much atk/accu gear as I could get (actually, probably had most of the accu gear I could get but not as much atk gear as I could). Let me put it this way, I was landing SA+Spin Slash for between 650-900 damage at 100-150 (900 if the mob's protect was canceled) which is on target for what most DRKs wil be doing without their Job abilities (which they don't use most of the time anyway). It really comes down to support abilities which I ended up assisting SpiderJerusalem with the healing something the DRK couldn't do.

That aside, it was a tad of a fluke. They poked me into coming since they wanted to get rid of the DRK (I think) and the party was most ofu s in the LS anyway. I was the easiest person to get so I saddled up with my DD gear and had some fun.

Kintaro

Shouta said:
MNK and RNG are DD only classes so there really isn't a comparison. The comparison of PLD and DRK would be best since PLDs and DRKs have the same niche to fill (burst damage/support casting post 60 as /THF sub which most DRKs do).

DRKs and PLDs actually do fairly similar damage aside from Job abilities with the right setup. PLDs would lag a bit per normal hit and a bit of accuracy but ultimately they can fill the spot of a DRK in the same instance. Mind you this is with a BRD. I was kinda gimping it around with my gear since I didn't have as much atk/accu gear as I could get (actually, probably had most of the accu gear I could get but not as much atk gear as I could). Let me put it this way, I was landing SA+Spin Slash for between 650-900 damage at 100-150 (900 if the mob's protect was canceled) which is on target for what most DRKs wil be doing without their Job abilities (which they don't use most of the time anyway). It really comes down to support abilities which I ended up assisting SpiderJerusalem with the healing something the DRK couldn't do.

That aside, it was a tad of a fluke. They poked me into coming since they wanted to get rid of the DRK (I think) and the party was most ofu s in the LS anyway. I was the easiest person to get so I saddled up with my DD gear and had some fun.

Bingo. We all understood this would be some xp for fun instead of UBER XP UBERALLES OMG. Which we ended up with some good xp anyways. Why bother trying to find some 6th guy after our DRK has left, when Shouta likes filling the role? And it worked beautifully.

Sure, we soulc have gotten an outsider to fill the role, but where's the fun in that? ^^ Shouta was WAY WAY WAY outdmging the DRK we had anyways...was rather GROSS too.

Crystalkoen

One more question, and I'll let you guys get back to your DD Paladin discussion (What's next? WHM Tank?).

Will the lack of CoP these days hurt me very much in finding entertainment during my short stint away from Azeroth, or will I be able to survive, and find stuff to kill, and people with whom to party, in Vana'diel without it?

Kintaro

Crystalkoen said:
One more question, and I'll let you guys get back to your DD Paladin discussion (What's next? WHM Tank?).

Will the lack of CoP these days hurt me very much in finding entertainment during my short stint away from Azeroth, or will I be able to survive, and find stuff to kill, and people with whom to party, in Vana'diel without it?

You'll be fine for awhile till people wish to XP in some select COP areas at later lvls. Usually in their 60s or so I suppose. On my lowbie Galka character, I've yet to enter a COP area through 37 lvls (his highest job thus far...getting all the subjobs out of the way).

Oh, Shouta:

"Maat's Cap: +7 to all Stats" <---- WE MUST FIND THIS

Crystalkoen

Kintaro said:
You'll be fine for awhile till people wish to XP in some select COP areas at later lvls. Usually in their 60s or so I suppose. On my lowbie Galka character, I've yet to enter a COP area through 37 lvls (his highest job thus far...getting all the subjobs out of the way).

Yes, but what about a 51 WHM?
Nah, I probably won't play my WHM on this stint. BLM or SAM seem the most likely candidates.

And +7 All Stats... wow? That sounds pretty damn good.

Kintaro

Shouta said:
Maat's cap is quested apparently.

The Garden of Ru'hmet looks like hard place to navigate based on the map =(.

Just saw the full (?) list of the new armor added. No MNK JSE. FU SE YOU ASSTARDS! DRK gets a STUPIDLY good JSE, and WAR's get a very nie one as well.

Oh well, there's always Maat's Cap... >.>

Azrael

Only place CoP is really beneficial for exping is Bibiki Bay in the high 60s.

Although with pickup parties, half the time there's one cheap asshat without CoP who ruins it for the other five.

Azrael

Just saw the full (?) list of the new armor added. No MNK JSE. FU SE YOU ASSTARDS! DRK gets a STUPIDLY good JSE, and WAR's get a very nie one as well.

Oh well, there's always Maat's Cap... >.>

I'm kind of miffed they gave PLD a -25% magic damage shield that might have shut up some of the "PLD can't tank X mob" crap, but they made it a level 5 Dynamis upgrade to ensure no one will actually have one.

At least Maat's Cap looks awesome, and I want to try the new solo 60 ENM and see what that's like.

Kintaro

Azrael said:
I'm kind of miffed they gave PLD a -25% magic damage shield that might have shut up some of the "PLD can't tank X mob" crap, but they made it a level 5 Dynamis upgrade to ensure no one will actually have one.

At least Maat's Cap looks awesome, and I want to try the new solo 60 ENM and see what that's like.

Well, I wouldn't say no one. Relic Bow and Relic Scythes are done in some servers. Also depends on the conditions of upgrading the Shield.

RuGalz

Well that's the point isn't it? In the end Dynamis is what's going to keep those lv 75s playing for year and years just to complete their stuff. I won't be surprise if they keep adding new Relic stuff and new Dynamis areas in the the CoP places in the future.

Kintaro

RuGalz said:
Well that's the point isn't it? In the end Dynamis is what's going to keep those lv 75s playing for year and years just to complete their stuff. I won't be surprise if they keep adding new Relic stuff and new Dynamis areas in the the CoP places in the future.

Dynamis - Lufaise, Dynamis - Valkrum, and Dynamis -...something else are all in the files. Just like Diorama-Ghelsba has been, and entered into this patch. So, you're right. lol

RuGalz

lol. In that case, I can imagine Lv 30, Lv 60 Dynamis starts to pop up... Maybe you get some xp in those areas too... Then people would also want those lower level relic stuff for ballista as they slowly give people more and more reason to participate in it. Suddenly they extended the life of the game by 5 years. :lol

Ploid 3.0

Shouta said:

OMG I wish I could have at least watched this party. If only I wasn't a THF and having HDD problems :'(

Xaerus

The Diorama Abdhaljs's are just the ballista arenas you reserve. I was in the Ghelsba one last night. You should have come Shouta!

They added a bunch of ENM's too. That Solo ENM60 is HARD, at least for a mages or a paladin. Especially since theres a moblin controlling the mob and periodically using Dice Roll. I got owned by a 950 Spirits Within when he rolled TP for the mob.

Shouta

I went to do the ENM myself (and I don't have the ballista license). I beat the ENM and got the XP and a Refresh musk which was nice.

Azrael

It's not hard to get to, but it can be expensive based on how lucky you are. There's a Moblin NPC near one of the entrances to Oldton Movalpolos. You trade it 10,000 gil (you can trade less, but your chances of winning are less). It rolls 2 50-sided dice, and if 2-50 come up, you win. You can then opt to pay another 2000 gil to be teleported directly to the ENM. I got 48 on my first attempt, and I still paid about 50k to do the ENM (adding cost of food, drinks, Icarus Wing and Hi-Pots here). Not that much money, but all you're getting is 2k experience and (maybe) a semi-useful RARE/EX enchanted JSE if you win.

This ENM is more luck than anything else, at least with PLD, where you NEED to have favorable dice rolls from the Moblin controlling the puppet to win. I got the puppet down to about 40% HP, and the next dice roll recovered all the puppet's HP. After that I didn't really stand a chance of finishing him off.

Top Bottom