• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF FFXI FAQ/Starter topic Redux

Shouta

5? You're kidding me. There should be way more than that. It may not be Lower Jeuno levels but still. Do a search of the entire server to see how many are on serverwide.

ManaByte

I don't know. Just returned to the game because I want to play something where you have a sense of acomplisment for leveling and there seems to be no one on the server at all anymore.

pol17qv.png

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Level 10 is about when you can head to Valkurm Dunes to join 6-player parties and take on hard mobs, but it's not always recommended because a lot of players are still new to their respective jobs (unless of course you get some veteran players).

What job are you and what city did you start in?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
To get from Valkurm Dunes to Bastok you would go North Gustaberg -> Konschtat Highlands -> Valkurm Dunes. You're in luck starting from Bastok because the place you'll be partying at lvl10 is right at the zone entrance from Konschtat.

Alternatively, you could solo a few more levels (RDM works well for this) in Konschtat Highlands and move onto the dunes later, but I would probably leave at 12-13 so you're not stuck soloing forever and you get to learn party mechanics.

Another option is just to mow down Easy Preys and Decent Challenges in Gustaberg because the new exp changes really help you solo better at low levels. You might not see big numbers for exp, but it adds up over time.

A good place to check for maps is www.ffxi-atlas.com until you get around to collecting maps for most areas. That site is arranged by Regions, so just look up which one you are at in-game and reference the site (or just search for it, hehe)

Rawk Hawk

Jiggle around lvl 10 I continued soloing. The best way to go about it is to put your party flag up, and then just solo a bunch of Easy Prey monsters. They xp isn't the best, but you can do a bunch before needing to rest, and then maybe you'll get a party invite to go get some better xp.

Shouta

That's kind odd Mana. There's almost always a lot of folks on but it might be that there just isn't that many folks in the newbie areas.

ManaByte

Shouta said:
That's kind odd Mana. There's almost always a lot of folks on but it might be that there just isn't that many folks in the newbie areas.

Just logged onto Fairy to check my AH sales, and did a who for all areas and there were under 1000 people on the server.

ManaByte

Shouta said:
Servers were just down for a few hours so people are slowly relogging on. It's at 2150 now.

Yeah.

Actually having fun right now compared to WoW since the game doesn't hold your hand as much. 1k exp away from 10 and trying to finish up the second Rank 1 mission in the tomb. Can't find the tombstone though, but I did get the mail from the bats.

ManaByte

I still have two eggs from the Easter event in my inventory. Is there any way to get rid of them? I can't drop them.

Shouta

If they're the Happy and Fortune eggs, keep them. Those give some incredibly stat bonuses for that slot and they were free. A lot of people actually want them but can only get them once a year. if it's just letter eggs like "O" then you can drop them by hitting the - key above the + on they numpad to bring up the menu then going down to the item icon. Then go through your inventory and select the egg and then there'll be an option set that'll appear in the upper right hand corner that asks you some options. Drop will be one of them.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
ManaByte said:
How hard is it to get down to Valkurm Dunes from San d'Oria?

The only thing you'll get aggro from in La Theine (as long as you stay on the paths) is Orcs and Gobs, which are sight aggro, and it's pretty open so you should be able to dodge it. Once you zone into Valkurm from La Theine you'll be dodging more goblins and to get to where you party at lvl10 (which is the bottom right on this map by the Konschtat zone: http://ffxi-atlas.com/maps/maps_normal/0027_valkrum-dunes.png) you will have to go through a tunnel that has bats with sound aggro. Either wait for another player to aggro them or kindly ask a high level if they can take them out for you.

ManaByte

So I went down to La Theine Plateau and partied with a Red Mage who would constantly heal herself when she was at FULL HP and wouldn't heal me (a Warrior) so I naturally died.

But then I went to Ghelsba Outpost and grinded on the Easy-con Orcs and gained level 11 and 2 stacks of Fire Crystals. I may grind there to 12 tomorrow.

ManaByte

What rank/level do you need to use the Airships?

Also I noticed your rank bar goes up as you turn in crystals. Can you rank up just by turning in crystals or do you have to do the missions to gain higher ranks?

jiggle

Your rank levels up if you just have the signet cast on you when you fight monsters I believe. Also by delivering packages. The missions help raise your fame.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Airship you need Rank 5. Depending on your job (if you're a RDM or WHM it's easier) and the people you know, you will get this ~lvl40. There isn't a minimum level or anything as it is possible to get a lvl1 mule to rank5, but I'd say it's about when most people get rank5.

The exception to this airship pass is the Kazham airship which you can get at level 25 after turning in 3 keys to a guard in Jeuno. Kazham is where you will be leveling from 24/25-31 or so. (quest is here: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/quests.html?realm=&fquest=215)

So yes, you'll be riding that chocobo all over for awhile.

Now, Signet.

Signet gets you Conquest Points when you kill monsters that give you exp (too weaks do not count), it doesn't have anything to do with fame. Also, signet is the way certain nations control regions each week for Conquest. Killing monsters with it on gains you more influence for your home nation in the region you're in, which lets you do outpost supply quests in the regions your nation controls. Your nation's place (and the regions they control) in Conquest also determines what shops sell in your home nation. Conquest points can be used to get gear or other items. You can spend your points at the guards in your nation that cast signet on you, but not at the guards who are located at outposts.

There's more to do with Conquest and region control, but I won't get into that here.

Ranks and Missions...

Your rank bar does go up with crystals you turn in, but it will not allow you to gain a new rank. That can only be done through completing missions the gate guards give to you. What the crystals are good for, though, is getting access to missions if your rank bar is not full enough. Delivering packages to the outposts will only get you Conquest Points, not raise your rank.

A list of all the missions is here: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/quests.html?fqtype=Mission
Keep in mind that not all of these are required, so if theres a tough one that's skippable you can just turn in more crystals to get the next one.

The only thing that raises your fame in nations is doing quests.

edit - forgot one thing, the higher rank you are, the longer signet will last on your character without having to be recasted. This is also effected by Conquest standing (if your nation is last place, it lasts longer...if first, it lasts the normal amount).

ManaByte

XMonkey said:
Airship you need Rank 5. Depending on your job (if you're a RDM or WHM it's easier) and the people you know, you will get this ~lvl40. There isn't a minimum level or anything as it is possible to get a lvl1 mule to rank5, but I'd say it's about when most people get rank5.

How does someone get a level 1 rank 5?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
ManaByte said:
How does someone get a level 1 rank 5?

It's pretty time consuming. Getting to rank2 is a piece of cake and the only hard part of rank3 is finding a few people to help get you through the dungeons because you're a lvl1 and all the mobs want to kill you. I suppose you could just die and have someone tractor you to the fight, raise, and then go in. Or they can just train everything then kill it when you reach the end.

Rank 4 is a bit tricky because you'll be progressing up a tower with lots of floors filled of aggro mobs. If you have some high level help, they can just kill the mobs for you. Or just sneak and invisible you all the way to the top. Or do tractor over and over.

Rank 5 is tricky in some places where you need to get to certain spots for a cutscene, but the same rules of either killing everything, sneaking around, or tractoring applies. For the items you need, you can just simply stand at the zone and have your friend kill the mobs then lot on it.

If you ever want to try this, I suggest you get the crystals for all the Teleport crags so you can easily warp all over the world. This saves an incredible amount of time for certain missions (rank 3 and rank 5 in particular). One of my mules is rank2 (I just need to kill the dragon for rank3) and they have all of the teleport crystals.

Or, you can just spend 500,000gil and buy an airship pass in Jeuno with no need for rank5. Lots of high level crafters do this for their mules they want to level crafts on.

It's pretty much a completely selfish thing if you do it the hard way, but it makes for some good fun when you're a lvl1 character with no subjob and are riding the airship with everyone else.

Scott

Aw dammit, I typed up a bunch of answers for Jiggle and Manabyte, hit "Preview Post" and see XMonkey took care of it all already. Argh! :p

Anyway, I'm planning on starting to play again tomorrow night, but I may not be able to until Tuesday sometime. I'll just have to see how things go. Either way, Soj is back! :)

Rawk Hawk

I'm only rank 4 now, and would like to get to 5 soon. But I know the airship to Kazham cost 200gil a pop which is basically nothing, but when you get rank 5, how much is it to travel from like Jeuno to Sandy or Bastok? I heard about the 500k pass, but that's obviously too pricey. But I'm just curious if the airship is practical enough for the money you'll spend.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
all airships are only 200 gil a flight, so it's no different than the one from khazam

And if you're really strapped for cash, you can always do the delivery quest every time you're on an airship TO jeuno (Not from) there will be someone near teh docks asking you to give something to a passanger, you are shown their picture. on the airship tehre are a half dozen or so passengers who all look similar (but not identical). Give the delivery to the right person, and get yourself 500 gil.

ManaByte

Ran down to the Dunes today. Got in a group. WHM kept healing herself and not me. Died on first pull. Assholes in the group laughed and then disbaned.

At least I'm down there now. Logged out there so I don't have to make the run again.

jiggle

ManaByte said:
At least I'm down there now. Logged out there so I don't have to make the run again.

You can set your starting point at the dunes by paying 100gil to this NPC at the SE exit of the area.

ManaByte

Yeah, didn't have to pay.

In a good group right now, should hit 12 very shortly before logging for a quick break. I should be 15 in the next couple days.

Scott

Jeeze, sucks you keep getting stuck with shitty players, Manabyte. I know everybody just likes to go "lol Dunez!," but it's actually my favorite leveling zone (out of the ones I reached ;)), and I've had some really great experiences there.

Hope things pick up for you, and you can at least take comfort in the fact that some of the idiots get weeded out by the time you hit Qufim. ...Or so people like to tell me, but that doesn't explain my 5 death nights there. I'm the WHM, dammit, don't let me die! :p

Top Bottom