• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF FFXI FAQ/Starter topic Redux

Tortfeasor

Just picked up the pack from amazon... Havn't played since about 3 months after launch. Can someone quickly sum up when has been added/changed since then and possibly let me know what server everyone plays on? I know you used ot be able to transfer servers if you had a friend by a passport on their server and gave you the code... Is that still the case? If so, can someone bring me over to the GAF server?

Shouta

You should probably check out POL's main website for the full update information.

As for server, most of us that still play from this forum are on Fairy.

Rawk Hawk

Bah! I can't log on today fo some reason, been trying all morning. Hopefully I can get on in time to still try my AF. Just wanted to let you know I didn't forget, POL just won't log in...

Chrono

Banned
Hey I'm thinking about buying this game so I've got a few questions. Thanks in advance for any help.

1 - PC or PS2 version?

I'd rather play it on a console as it's much more comfortable to me to play on sofa but if I get the PS2 one I'll need a hard drive and a network adaptor, that's like $150 total or something so I'm trying to get a good idea of what each version offers.

2 - How many hours does it take for a player to start enjoying the game?

I don't want to spend 20 hours just to get into the game or something.

3 - How many hours for the entire game (estimate) if you want to do everything?

Say I have only 100 hours set for FFXI, would that be enough? I know people play it for hundreds but I'd like to know how much 100 weighs in.

Thanks again. :)

Rorschach

IMO:

1) PC version for drawdistance, framerate, graphics/resolution, and no typing lag in crowded areas!

2) I enjoyed it from the very beginning. I hit a slump around levels 11-13 the first time around, but it got better after I got out of the first level of the Dunes.

3) The entire game meaning including the two expansions? 100 hrs isn't even close to enough. It depends on each player how much can be done in that amount of time. There are tons of quests, missions, etc in addition to the leveling up, learning spells, raising cash, and all that jazz.

Chrono

Banned
Cool, looks like I'll get the PC version.

Rorschach said:
3) The entire game meaning including the two expansions? 100 hrs isn't even close to enough. It depends on each player how much can be done in that amount of time. There are tons of quests, missions, etc in addition to the leveling up, learning spells, raising cash, and all that jazz.

Wow. o_O

I guess if it's enjoyable from the beginning I don't have to worry about how many hours I put it - I don't have to do everything to have fun heh. Thanks for the reply. :)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Time is different or everyone.

100 hours isnt that much. Most people talke upwards of 80-90 total days of playtime to get a character up to level 75. Then there are the missions and quests you can do.

The story missions for Chains of Promathia (The 2nd expansion) are estimated to take about 72 hours alone from start to finish

darlyn

Is there no way to transfer a character from one server to another?

I just started playing again and most the friends I had on my server (Carbuncle) and my linkshell are gone, and Carbuncle in general seems pretty empty. BUT, I don't want to start over on Fairy. I'm only a RDM 30/BLM 15/WHM 14 but it took me FOREVER to get that far since I'm too busy at school to play regularly.

Shouta

They've toyed with the idea of transfering characters from server to server but nothing concrete yet. I highly doubt it'll ever happen though.

Tabris

My NPC is now level 58, "Fierce Attacker" job.

He stays out for like 30 defeated enemies or an hour. Whichever comes first.

Rawk Hawk

Wow nice. my NPC is 31, and I was curious... Since I'm in the Maze of Shamkri(sp?) so much, are those leeches good xp for a npc at that lvl? And if you know any good guides for areas to xp your NPC in, I need to find one lol ^^

Kandinsky

Rawk Hawk said:
Wow nice. my NPC is 31, and I was curious... Since I'm in the Maze of Shamkri(sp?) so much, are those leeches good xp for a npc at that lvl? And if you know any good guides for areas to xp your NPC in, I need to find one lol ^^

Hope this guide helps.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
New Summon in today's update.

diabolos.jpg

New Summoning Magic and Quests

The thrilling climax to Chains of Promathia was finally reached in the July version update. Now delve deeper into the stories of prominent Chains of Promathia characters as you enjoy the new quests planned for release in December.

-New Summoning Magic

The quest to obtain an avatar long awaited by summoners will soon be available. The terrestrial avatar Diabolos made his first appearance in "Darkness Named," and now those able to defeat him at the height of his strength will learn to harness the power of dreams.

The Blood Pact abilities of Diabolos are quite unique when compared to those of other avatars. We have provided a list of Diabolos's abilities with brief explanations; however, we would like to allow summoners the chance to discover the full scope of these powers on their own.

-Diabolos's Blood Pact Abilities

Camisado: Deals physical damage.
Somnolence: Weighs target down.
Nightmare: Deals darkness elemental damage that puts all enemies within the area of effect to sleep and gradually reduces their HP.
Ultimate Terror: Decreases attributes of enemies within area of effect.
Noctoshield: Gives party members within area of effect the effect of "Phalanx."
Dream Shroud: Enhances magic attack and magic defense of party members within area of effect.
Nether Blast: Delivers a ranged attack that deals darkness elemental damage.
Ruinous Omen (Astral Flow): Required MP: Caster's level x2. Uses all MP and reduces the HP of enemies within area of effect by a random percentage.

Personal guess is that you'll have to have reached chapter 4 of the Promathia storyline (which is right after the Diablos battle), before you can do the quest

Also in today's update, Quest where you can fight Bahamut.

Rawk Hawk

Kandinsky said:

Nice that does clear things up a bit. Although when it says "fight mobs at least 34 levels higher than you NPC" I am assuming they are refering to just the stnadard mob level that can be checked on almost every sight. At first when I was told I thought I should think 3 lvls higher, and then figure out where I partied at 33, 34 etc. But that cleared it all up ^^ thx

Kandinsky

DrForester said:
New Summon in today's update.

diabolos.jpg

Personal guess is that you'll have to have reached chapter 4 of the Promathia storyline (which is right after the Diablos battle), before you can do the quest

Also in today's update, Quest where you can fight Bahamut.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time to do some CoP work ; ;

gogo Joa :p

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Shouta said:
They've toyed with the idea of transfering characters from server to server but nothing concrete yet. I highly doubt it'll ever happen though.

I hope they change their mind about it one day. I'm coming back from a hiatus as well, and my linkshell is long dead. :( It makes me extra sad because I'm finally getting close to doing Genkai, and I sure as hell can't solo that stuff. Guess I'm gonna have to start slutting out my WHM to get a new shell. :p

Mjunter

Looks like I'm gonna be returning to the game also. It will take a while to get used to everything though again though. If anyone is on Fairy and don't mind getting a world pass for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Shouta

zoinks, You're coming back Mj? =O I'll see about a worldpass for you tommorrow. You might want to be careful though, prices are outrageous...

Rorschach said:
Do you have a job that's not over level 40? ><

Also, congrats...

[edit]why did my post appear above yours?
wow hax

40 isn't that high...but I only have 4 over that :p well 6 almost sorta but those two don't seem to be going anywhere

Just thought it should be mentioned that the Xbox 360 Final Fantasy XI Beta is coming to North America via the Official Xbox Magazine. They haven't said exactly when yet, but in an upcoming issue of OXM, the entire FFXI Beta will be packaged with the magazine. Pretty cool! :) Now I'll get to find out if I want to get into FFXI when it does drop for the 360 :D

Mjunter

Shouta said:
zoinks, You're coming back Mj? =O I'll see about a worldpass for you tommorrow. You might want to be careful though, prices are outrageous...

Yeah, I'm well aware of the high prices. Gonna primarily be a drg this time around and I keep hearing them complain about a lack of equipment anyhow. :) Probably gonna play a lot more casually than last time also so I won't get burned out, even though I'm starting completely over.

Shouta

Reward doesn't give enough HP/Regen to compensate though as I recall, at least not at high levels. It's just a unintended issue with the way the new mob system works. I don't think it's totally BST killing but it does really restrict where they can Xp at the moment with the current system. I'm hoping they adjust the pet foods and Reward command to compensate rather than give BSTs an exception to the new system if it needs to happen. Besides, BSTs don't even realize how much of an asset they are party wise and that they have to rely on solo or working with other BSTs.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Sorry, but I don't have the time with school and all to play in parties, so SE making us more appealing to parties doesn't work. Thats the whole reason I picked up BST in the first place, was so that I could level for an hour or two here and there and still make decent progress. Now the ability to solo (and I hear duo'ing is even worse) is severely limited in many of the exp areas and it's going to take even longer to level BST than it already did.

The whole thing just doesn't jive with the ways they've decided to take FFXI. Recent interviews with Sagesundi said that people were wanting more solo content and so they were working on that, along with the exp bonus rings, and exp from too weak mobs, etc that have already been implemented. Then they go and deal a critical blow to the way BST operates as a job. It just doesn't make sense.

Shouta

XMonkey said:
Sorry, but I don't have the time with school and all to play in parties, so SE making us more appealing to parties doesn't work. Thats the whole reason I picked up BST in the first place, was so that I could level for an hour or two here and there and still make decent progress. Now the ability to solo (and I hear duo'ing is even worse) is severely limited in many of the exp areas and it's going to take even longer to level BST than it already did.

The whole thing just doesn't jive with the ways they've decided to take FFXI. Recent interviews with Sagesundi said that people were wanting more solo content and so they were working on that, along with the exp bonus rings, and exp from too weak mobs, etc that have already been implemented. Then they go and deal a critical blow to the way BST operates as a job. It just doesn't make sense.

Did you see what I said? It was unintended. People keep thinking that it was a change made to spite BSTs but the fact of the matter is, it wasn't. I'm sure they'll do something to compensate it but going back on this monster system changei s a BAD idea. I even suggested a change to compensate.

And what the hell? Nice of you to ignore most of my post then latch on to the last sentence.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
So that's why my crawlers kept disappearing after I released them in Yutungha last night. It didn't occur to me that it came from the update. I was wondering what was going on there. Luckily where I am now, I can probably keep soloing with relative ease until lvl 45-46 (I love goblins with a tendency of blowing themselves up), but this is going to be a huge pain in the ass for BSTs trying to juggle two or three pets in their zoo at one time. It's not just a matter of the pets regenerating hit points that we cycle them, it's also because they may be the only EM heavy hitters in the area that we can work with.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Shouta said:
Did you see what I said? It was unintended. People keep thinking that it was a change made to spite BSTs but the fact of the matter is, it wasn't. I'm sure they'll do something to compensate it but going back on this monster system changei s a BAD idea. I even suggested a change to compensate.

And what the hell? Nice of you to ignore most of my post then latch on to the last sentence.

Uh ok, I'm glad it's your opinion it was unintended. Unless SE are complete and total idiots when it comes to playtesting their patches, then there is no way they didn't see this having such an effect on BSTs.

I don't really care how Reward changed or that jug pets now give no exp penalty. As far as I'm concerned, the fact that they offer those up as some sort of silver lining after they tweaked Leave just makes me think this was done on purpose.

Shouta

XMonkey said:
Uh ok, I'm glad it's your opinion it was unintended. Unless SE are complete and total idiots when it comes to playtesting their patches, then there is no way they didn't see this having such an effect on BSTs.

I don't really care how Reward changed or that jug pets now give no exp penalty. As far as I'm concerned, the fact that they offer those up as some sort of silver lining after they tweaked Leave just makes me think this was done on purpose.

It's pretty obvious it was an oversight. It was the same thing with the Relic Knuckles issue (TP issue) and also the Ranged attack damage formula. Something they designed had ramifications they didn't realize and later fixed it or changed it. I don't doubt they'll fix this up sooner or later.

I mean, SE can be a bunch of morons but I highly doubt they'd be stupid enough to purposefully do it just to nerf BSTs and offer up something like the reward and no exp penalty things up as a silver lining.

I can see how one could equate the two changes to BST as an offering up for the change in the MPK system but frankly that's just being absolutely pessimistic. It could be just that they wanted to give some cookies for BSTs to be able to party way ahead of when the MPK change had occurred to them. But eh, most people are seeing it as you say.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I think a lot of people, including myself, are pessimistic because SE's track record on going back on changes really isn't outstanding when you compare it to the laundry list of nerfs that they've managed to accumulate.

I'll give you that it doesn't seem characteristic in light of other changes because BST really was not an overpowered class like MNK or DRG was with the TP nerf and the changes they made to RNG recently, but it just seems odd how something as big as this got out of play-testing and into an official patch...

Shouta

That TP nerf was mostly just to prevent MNKs from getting to spam Asuran Fists with the Relic Knuckles at level 75. Spamming Penta-thrust was pretty useless in a party because of the poor accuracy it has.. Also, all the other jobs benefitted it just as much as DRG did but the only people that ever talked about it were DRGs. I mean WARs could basically toss multiple Raging Rushes with /SAM prior to patch and that was FAR deadlier than Penta-thrust ever was in XP party. DRKs could do the same thing with Guillotine. Honestly, most people that say that MNK and DRG were overpowered prior to the TP change weren't around to experience it.

The Ranged attack formula changed was a long time coming (affecting RNG mostly but also SAM/RNG and to a lesser extent THF and a few DRKs). That was really a case of SE not thinking about what the ramifications of their could would be after all the level cap raises and etc. I mean prior to 50, RNG was evenly matched with all the major classes. Then as the cap raised, SE added content without thinking much of how the Ranged Attack dynamic worked and because of that, major imbalances were created. It's a massive oversight that didn't get much attention until NAs started complaining a lot about it.

As for this actual mob issue. I think it's that they kind of ignore how most BSTs level because they're usually the most content of all of the jobs. They could solo all they want and the only thing they really needed was a better reason to be party orientated with the other jobs, hence the new changes to Reward and Jug Pets. I think it's because BSTs were so content that they totally forgot about them when they changed the mob system and that created the problem at hand. I mean honestly, I probably would've forgot it because you almost never see BSTs bitching about their job except the occasional one that wants to party.

Ploid 3.0

I'm still waiting on SE to un nerf Sam/rng :( First penta spam now this. Sam can't get a break.

And D: at Mjunter coming back. Too bad that 200k you gave me is the same as 10k was worth back then ._.

Ploid 3.0

SAM/thf sux on kited mobs, and I miss my sam/war zerk arrow ownage. /rng is just needed for barrage and sidewinder + sharpshoot and crap like ranged accu and accu traits.

Shouta

Folks really need to stop uber kiting mobs around. I mean I understand the tactic but it couldn't hurt to stop every once and awhile so all the DDs can unload quickly then go back to kiting. That 'd solve the whole /THF and kiting issue.

Ploid 3.0

Yea I like when mobs aren't kited. My best kirin times is when we tanked it straight up for a while. It's hp dropped so fast.

Sam pwns stuff that's not kited. <3

I.E.
1763347samzerg.jpg

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Looks like their more unexpected good times with mob despawning shinannigans. Looks like pullers are starting to see their mobs disappear if they lose hate as well. I have a feeling SE is going to have to do a fair bit of tweaking on their anti-MPK measures over the coming days.

RuGalz

Mr Nash said:
Looks like their more unexpected good times with mob despawning shinannigans. Looks like pullers are starting to see their mobs disappear if they lose hate as well. I have a feeling SE is going to have to do a fair bit of tweaking on their anti-MPK measures over the coming days.
It's funny they recognized how EQ2 deals with it (basically let mob walk back to its original position without aggroing anything on the way) and it sounded like they like that kind of idea in interviews but I guess they just want to be "different", which has bite their ass so many ways in the past as well.
I was just about to go back to BST since I can't find anything to do in the game any more; I am not in any large LS and all the old friends have quit at this point. Now I can't even level BST without wanting to pull my teeth out. SE FTW. :lol So now I just sit there, hack away their rendering system trying to make the game cel shaded until subscription runs out.

Tabris

Me and my linkshell are doing Dynamis-Qufim.

I'm very interested in PLD tanking without WAR.

Flash / Cure Spikes / JA Spikes are going to become even more vital than they are now.

I'm stocked up on +enmity. +3 from MP, +7 from Aegishjalmr, +1 from Hades Earring, +3 from Warwolf, + whatever from AF and Koening, and +3 from Hercules Ring.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Tabris said:
Me and my linkshell are doing Dynamis-Qufim.

I'm very interested in PLD tanking without WAR.

Flash / Cure Spikes / JA Spikes are going to become even more vital than they are now.

I'm stocked up on +enmity. +3 from MP, +7 from Aegishjalmr, +1 from Hades Earring, +3 from Warwolf, + whatever from AF and Koening, and +3 from Hercules Ring.

Yeah, sounds like fun. Too bad the rewards for doing these Dynamis' suck shit. SE is truly dropping the ball. People don't fucking WANT subjob less dynamis'. Don't want to make things "different" or harder for shit rewards. People want a challenge for good rewards. Relic +1 is shit. Droprate in the new dynamis' are shit (10 coins in a 1 hour run in Valk). It's shit shit shit.

Game is slowly, but very, very surely, dying off. And it sucks cuz I'm still having fun trying to lvl my Galka.

Tabris

Whatcha talking about? Have you seen the new "AF2" belts/mantles?

Especially for Paladin. They're amazing! Plus chance of all kinds of AF2 from the cities.

Top Bottom