• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF FFXI FAQ/Starter topic Redux

Rawk Hawk

Hmm, curious... I read that the mobs only disappear if released outside of the normal pop zone. If this is true, then couldn't a bst sit in the pop zone, charm, pull back a mob to the zone, fight it, leave his pet for full XP and then recharm the pet? As long as he didn't leave it outside the general area of the pop? Cause if that's the case, then as long as you find decent areas it might not be so horrible devistating the the BST fan base.

I can't wait to try newDyn. I might even upgrade some whm stuff. Less clear mind is gonna be a pain though lol. Hopefully sams wont be as retarded as they usually are.
Anyways not sure if it was rumor or not on clicking something while inside to get subs back?

Shouta

Droprate for Reaction in Dynamis Valkurm was pretty damn good apparently. Two AF2s and a ton of coins in an hour or so worth of time. The whole subjob predicament is really interesting though and it's been hypothesized that there's a way to get SJs back but I really don't know.

As for PLD trying to tank in those new Dynamis areas, better have a huge MP base and tons of enmity otherwise don't bother. You might just better of being a full time mage at the moment cause it seems to be pretty damn wild. I saw tons of "oh shit!" in LS from the cactuars spamming 10,000 and 4000 needles.

What level is your BST Shen? We could try DRG and BST duoing although I'm not sure how well that'll turn out.

Ploid 3.0

Mr Nash said:
Looks like their more unexpected good times with mob despawning shinannigans. Looks like pullers are starting to see their mobs disappear if they lose hate as well. I have a feeling SE is going to have to do a fair bit of tweaking on their anti-MPK measures over the coming days.

This happened to me like 3 times during tiamat add kiting. The corse wouldn't survive past the rostuam pumps ??? mark. Which wasn't bad actually, because I could do that forever since I would make it back to spawn point before it was even close to repopping.

Edit: Oh and if you find the seemingly static ??? in new dynamis your sub jobs are restored (everyone's)

Dynamis - Qufim - H-7
??? to recover Subjobs - G-7 @ Cermet Wall

Dynamis - Buburimu - I-9
??? to recover Subjobs - Stone Monument at J-5

Tabris

Haha, we just wiped in Dynamis-Qufim. Went for an affigy (single) and it spawned like 9 mobs. Raising up now. That ??? for SJ is a lie btw! Unless defeating the effigy spawns the ???

RuGalz

Rawk Hawk said:
Hmm, curious... I read that the mobs only disappear if released outside of the normal pop zone. If this is true, then couldn't a bst sit in the pop zone, charm, pull back a mob to the zone, fight it, leave his pet for full XP and then recharm the pet? As long as he didn't leave it outside the general area of the pop? Cause if that's the case, then as long as you find decent areas it might not be so horrible devistating the the BST fan base.

The problem is that when BST go xp, for a lot of levels, you roam in an area radius larger than the pop area, or you have to drag a pet from pretty far away to your xp spot. It's rarely an option to stay near where the mob pop is.

Best pet to use is EM level pet since they do significantly better damage than DC pet and won't get destroyed by T mobs. So typically, you throw the EM pet at the mob, before pet dies, you tell it to leave and throw something else at the mob (most of time probably a DC mob unless you are really lucky and have a lot of EM pet at your disposal. After you kill the mob, your EM pet should be fully recovered and now you can use it on next mob immediately for xp chain.

After the change, not only you may have to travel far after each kill to find your EM pet, jugs don't cut it because the pet from jug typically are around DC level, pet food isn't sufficient to keep them alive for long, and there's cool down time to use jug and to use pet food, so the only thing BSTs are lucky to make xp chain on are EM or low T mobs. Imagine trying to get even just 20k xp for a level without being able to chain T mobs and having frequent downtime... That's what BSTs are complaining about.

Len: I doubt that will work. A BST + SMN party could kind of work with Diabolos' Nightmare ability (assuming it won't get resisted or something). But meh if this is the reason SE nerfed BST this way, someone needs to dump the designer in a pool of taru poop.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Tabris said:
Whatcha talking about? Have you seen the new "AF2" belts/mantles?

Especially for Paladin. They're amazing! Plus chance of all kinds of AF2 from the cities.

I should have clarified that the new AF accessories are very nice. However, the +1 Relic shit is still bogus. Costs currency IIRC as well. Woo. =/ Bottomline, they could have done much, much better, and should have. Glad to see you can get subs back though, but like, still. WTF?

Oh yeah, the assraping of BSTs by the patch.

Mjunter

My first time back on was pretty nice. Roaming around bastok area trying to do all the quest I can remember. Started up and elvaan this round and playing monk. Planning to make that a subjob for warrior, which will be a subjob for my drg. The inflated price was amusing to say the least but for some reason I don't mind it to much yet. Thinking back, I probably woulda gave out an hour long rant about it in the linkshell.

Did see one person I remembered and saw someone I thought I remembered but he said he started playing after my time. Did we have a Roderick in the ls?

One thing that happened was a random player gave me 75k gil playing santa. I realize that's probably nothing in the game but for me its helping alot. :) Something that probably wouldn't have happened back in WOW.

Shouta

Mjunter said:
My first time back on was pretty nice. Roaming around bastok area trying to do all the quest I can remember. Started up and elvaan this round and playing monk. Planning to make that a subjob for warrior, which will be a subjob for my drg. The inflated price was amusing to say the least but for some reason I don't mind it to much yet. Thinking back, I probably woulda gave out an hour long rant about it in the linkshell.

Did see one person I remembered and saw someone I thought I remembered but he said he started playing after my time. Did we have a Roderick in the ls?

One thing that happened was a random player gave me 75k gil playing santa. I realize that's probably nothing in the game but for me its helping alot. :) Something that probably wouldn't have happened back in WOW.

I think you might be thinking of Rodrik but I haven't seen him actually play in ages. Boy was he a douchebag at times. Anyway, I'll be on tommorrow if you need a pearl although most of us are scattered all over the place.

Ploid 3.0

Ror that avatar is scary :(

Welcome back Mjunter. I'd give you the 200k, but at the time I have 21k now XD. I actually have to farm again, or sell more rdm gear.

Here is another peicture of me looking pimp (Mjunter wouldn't help me if I kept the bastokain subligar on so he gave me something to cover my legs :( ). Mjunter looks nab though, which threw my pimpness off.
17644331070651Mjunter23.jpg

This is when I saved Mjunter's life from a Leech that was trying to SA WS him while he was helping me with Nin quest fight.
17644321070650Mjunter2.jpg

Rawk Hawk

RuGalz said:
The problem is that when BST go xp, for a lot of levels, you roam in an area radius larger than the pop area, or you have to drag a pet from pretty far away to your xp spot. It's rarely an option to stay near where the mob pop is.

Best pet to use is EM level pet since they do significantly better damage than DC pet and won't get destroyed by T mobs. So typically, you throw the EM pet at the mob, before pet dies, you tell it to leave and throw something else at the mob (most of time probably a DC mob unless you are really lucky and have a lot of EM pet at your disposal. After you kill the mob, your EM pet should be fully recovered and now you can use it on next mob immediately for xp chain.

After the change, not only you may have to travel far after each kill to find your EM pet, jugs don't cut it because the pet from jug typically are around DC level, pet food isn't sufficient to keep them alive for long, and there's cool down time to use jug and to use pet food, so the only thing BSTs are lucky to make xp chain on are EM or low T mobs. Imagine trying to get even just 20k xp for a level without being able to chain T mobs and having frequent downtime... That's what BSTs are complaining about.

Len: I doubt that will work. A BST + SMN party could kind of work with Diabolos' Nightmare ability (assuming it won't get resisted or something). But meh if this is the reason SE nerfed BST this way, someone needs to dump the designer in a pool of taru poop.

Hmm, yeah that makes sense. I'm just trying to find some silver lining, cause I don't want to give bst up =/
I can see how now that the bst can call Carrie without losing XP he could be more valuable in a party, but the reason I liked bst was no lfg. Although I suppose you could solo for gimped xp while lfg better than any other job... maybe I'll just do that when I hit 23.

RuGalz

Rawk Hawk said:
Hmm, yeah that makes sense. I'm just trying to find some silver lining, cause I don't want to give bst up =/
I can see how now that the bst can call Carrie without losing XP he could be more valuable in a party, but the reason I liked bst was no lfg. Although I suppose you could solo for gimped xp while lfg better than any other job... maybe I'll just do that when I hit 23.
There's another problem with calling Carrie for xp party. The pet you call, once again, is DC to you. Normally, when a BST xp in an xp party (as rare as it is I have partied with a few), he/she finds non-aggressive EM pet for better damage and have the pet leaves the party before the mob dies. Using Carrie basically downgrades BST to worse than DRG without a lot benefits that Wyvern gets. BST's main weapons are Axe or Scythe(pretty limited); neither weapon is SC friendly during a lot of levels. So honestly, I don't know why anyone in the right mind would even consider BST for xp party now because there's even less reasons to, except maybe the post lv 70 melee parties.

Shouta

RuGalz said:
There's another problem with calling Carrie for xp party. The pet you call, once again, is DC to you. Normally, when a BST xp in an xp party (as rare as it is I have partied with a few), he/she finds non-aggressive EM pet for better damage and have the pet leaves the party before the mob dies. Using Carrie basically downgrades BST to worse than DRG without a lot benefits that Wyvern gets. BST's main weapons are Axe or Scythe(pretty limited); neither weapon is SC friendly during a lot of levels. So honestly, I don't know why anyone in the right mind would even consider BST for xp party now because there's even less reasons to, except maybe the post lv 70 melee parties.

The DC BST pets at the mid 30s do much better damage than a Wyvern. I had a BST in party while XPing dragoon and the Tiger Familiar he was using was doing 150-200% my Wyvern depending on mo band Claw Cyclone was way out damaging any of the Breath attacks. Of course, that doesn't compensate for the fact the DRG will outdamage the BST alone. Anyway, yeah the most effective thing to do is Non-aggressive EM pets for BST in normal XP parties but that can be tricky.

Rawk Hawk

Shouta said:
The DC BST pets at the mid 30s do much better damage than a Wyvern. I had a BST in party while XPing dragoon and the Tiger Familiar he was using was doing 150-200% my Wyvern depending on mo band Claw Cyclone was way out damaging any of the Breath attacks. Of course, that doesn't compensate for the fact the DRG will outdamage the BST alone. Anyway, yeah the most effective thing to do is Non-aggressive EM pets for BST in normal XP parties but that can be tricky.

Yeah I would think, although sure it's a DC pet, but that's still another member fighting, without taking XP, how can that be a bad thing? I don't know, I just wish they could have made only aggressive monsters despawn. That would still make if harder on BST, but not nearly as hard.

RuGalz

Rawk Hawk said:
Yeah I would think, although sure it's a DC pet, but that's still another member fighting, without taking XP, how can that be a bad thing? I don't know, I just wish they could have made only aggressive monsters despawn. That would still make if harder on BST, but not nearly as hard.

DC pet means way less damage (remember we are fighting IT mobs in xp party, not T mobs) and still give the mob the same amount of TP per hit compared to the situation before the patch. XP penalty is a non issue because BST just release the pet right before the mob dies past level 35. It was hard enough for BSTs to get normal xp party, this just makes them even less attractive since all other DD jobs can out damage BST easily and are easier to SC with, that was my point.

Ploid 3.0

LittleTokyo said:
Ploid I have a 70s Thief Card so let me know when you want to meet to get it. :p

I missed out. That's what I get for not visiting GAF often I guess >_< Need to get Plois a uniform. How hard would it be for a level 3 blm to get one XD

Rawk Hawk

Ploid 3.0 said:
I missed out. That's what I get for not visiting GAF often I guess >_< Need to get Plois a uniform. How hard would it be for a level 3 blm to get one XD

Think all cards are 10+

EDIT: Gaaaaaay, well as much as I tried, Shen is overwhelmingly right. When I heard "If you are in the pop zone they don't despawn" I thought it was in liberal terms of not carting the mob across the map. But in my last party at Boyanda Tree the puller grabbed a Knight Crawler, and then ran out in the water to come back to the party. The crawler lost aggro in the water, like they usually do, and despawned. We lost our mob, and it probably didn't even move a full two steps from it's original spawn location. That's pretty gay in my book. Although I'm hoping they change things around on it soon, maybe in today's maint.

Wow I took the two hours to download everything, and fill everything for the Final Fantasy XI beta out on the Xbox 360 and I can't even find the first NPC that some guard told me he placed on my map :lol So I tried to run outside to see what a battle was like...And got worked by a Wild Rabbit :lol

Hey I got a BlackMage spell and a staff equipped now, and I even killed five Wild Rabbits! Whohoo! Two questions.

A) I have some Adventurer's Ticket...What the heck do I do with it?
B) How do I heal myself?

i haven't played this game in so long but the adventurerers ticket i remember turning it in to some guy and him giving me some money. as for healing run away from enemies and sit while it regains...unless your a healing class of course

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Hello everyone!!

Does anyone know If I will be able to use the character I had started when the game first came out on PS2 on the Xbox360???

I've got a code for the beta and will get the disc when the magazine comes out here in Canada, but I'm not really that interested in working my way back up to level 20 again.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
heh, I too got the code, and will eventually find a copy of the Beta. Lonestar will return, for a limited time!

Nikashi

Banned
I'm jumping into the 360 beta having never played FFXI before, just EQ a few years back. Should we start a new 360 FFXI beta thread?

Rorschach

Nikashi said:
Okay, just don't wanna ask stuff and have people like 'The answer was on page 25 you dumbass'
...we've been helping the new players in this very thread as recently as...THIS PAGE!

Only person we won't help is that uber noob, Lonestar!

Jonnyram

Truelize said:
Does anyone know If I will be able to use the character I had started when the game first came out on PS2 on the Xbox360???
Not on the beta version, no, but you should be able to on the final version.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
ToyMachine228 said:
Hey I got a BlackMage spell and a staff equipped now, and I even killed five Wild Rabbits! Whohoo! Two questions.

A) I have some Adventurer's Ticket...What the heck do I do with it?

Do what you were told to - give it to Reet.

ToyMachine228 said:
B) How do I heal myself?

Ignore the PC-heads. Click in the left thumbstick, then wait. :)

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
ToyMachine228 said:
All right got sitting down...But I can't find Reet? What district is he is?

Thinking about it, who it is (and where they are) may vary based on where you start. :) For me, it was Reet, who was in the square at the opposite end of the row of shops leading to the west gate.

Shouta

Reet is in Bastok Markets. She's at the SE corner of the central plaza south of the Auction House and North of the Mog house.

Belfast

Anyone else having problems staying connected to the beta server (Hydra)? I keep getting lagged out, but I don't think it's on my end, because I stay connected to Live and I haven't had problems with other games.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Beta get! Lonestar2 is in effect. I think. Lonestarr in game, I can't remember which name is the "friend" name you need.

Nikashi

Banned
I'm in now :) Nikashi, Level 4 Warrior. Someone already hooked me up with some better equpment.

I'll probably be in all weekend.

(360 Beta)

Cloudy

Banned
Doh!

I really enjoyed my first stint with FFXI and I'd have no problem if I could take a break for a while and still have my stuff saved :(

Top Bottom