• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF OCTOBER Pick-Up Post! (Real pics or BAN!)

PuMa

eXistor said:
DSC00429.jpg

Nice pickup of Drag Me To Hell. I bought that this week as well and just watched it for the first time. Great movie.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Solo said:
1 cent per guide or not, why so many?

Giveaway/collection

I could have gotten more, there must have been at least 20 each of Gears of War 2/Fallout 3. I always grab a couple for the popular games in case a friend wants a copy

Yes Boss!

Mutagenic said:
I appreciate Demon's Souls more, but Uncharted 2 is indeed rad.

I'm hitting up Demon's Souls after Uncharted. GAF better not let me down! Been gaming on Sony systems entirely for the last three weeks with an obscene amount of time on Pixeljunk Monsters Deluxe and Uncharted 2. Giving the new system designs lots of love.

masterkajo

RbBrdMan said:
Only thing notable this month :

Asus HD 5850
4014007207_f52587a539.jpg

Finished Build

4026291836_048e37f917.jpg
Since my graphic card went bye bye the other day, I was thinking of picking a new one up. This would be the choice if I wasn't a broke lone student... I guess I will go for the HD 4870 for about €130.- which isn't so bad either. I just don't know if there is a huge difference between ASUS and MSI or SAPPHIRE (except for the price). What do you think?

Crisis

Banned
Rufus said:
I guess the stand didn't look like much compared to the rest of your purchases, but one day you will look at it and think "Why the fuck did I buy this?".

I actually really like the stand. It has a latch on it and some kind of felt on the inside of the stand so it doesn't scratch up the glossy side of the PS3. It's kind of a pain in the ass to get it on right though.

angelfly

Doubt I'll be purchasing anything else until November.

2vjr2io.jpg

New Thinkpad T400
250GB HD
3GB RAM
14.1 inch LED backlit screen
9 cell battery (been getting an average of 9 1/2 hours out of it)

also picked up a D-Link DWA-652 pcmcia card for it since it's actually good as opposed to the realtek based garbage that comes built in

axmc2.jpg

Japanese DSi

along with

4rowab.jpg

6yl46r.jpg

Also picked up Uncharted 2 and some new headphones

25sa1pe.jpg

wafv3p.jpg

eXistor

Yes Boss! said:
I was the opposite type of kid...empty everthing on the floor and go to town. You eventually learn some of the "hotspots" of the pile and the searching gets easier as the pieces dwindle. I worked all weekend but I'm starting this morning!
I tried that with my Millenium Falcon, but after a few hours I gave up and sorted everything out. It works so, so much better when you do that. It's so frustrating to try and find a relative few unique pieces in a pile of more than 5000.

It's great fun to build a huge Lego set, so have fun!

Yes Boss!

eXistor said:
I tried that with my Millenium Falcon, but after a few hours I gave up and sorted everything out. It works so, so much better when you do that. It's so frustrating to try and find a relative few unique pieces in a pile of more than 5000.

It's great fun to build a huge Lego set, so have fun!

Yeah, this one is a dream to build. I'm a Technic guy so a big scale model is new to me but this one has been an absolute pleasure. Here is where I'm at after a little over four hours:

P1020676-1.jpg

Also, today's pickup is the first Telugu movie to be released on blu-ray:

P1020678.jpg

Ovid

SolidusDave said:
mh will try some HD videos but I don't think the RAM has an impact on that, at least youtube 720p was still choppy for me.

non-HD youtube or e.g. 711x400p videofiles with the VLC player are fluid. You also don't notice any playback problems (e.g. going fullscreen or jump to specific parts) - even with 1GB.
720p would be a bit wasted anyway as the display resolution is 1024x600, so I don't really mind.

considering the CPU&GPU I don't think the RAM upgrade gives a moderate performance boost in most situations, it's just that it's pretty cheap (like 30€) so I bought it, too :lol
Thanks.
What about overall performance? Any hiccups when running programs or browsing on the Internet?

Miau

Neo Member
My pick-ups:

GermanMaestro GMP 8.35D Monitor:
jzwoih.jpg

Snow Leopard:
2pys26q.jpg

GTA: Chinatown Wars:
2hxyhyw.jpg

Dead Space and Mirror's Edge:
oqiwpx.jpg

Dreamfall:
awsrq0.jpg

X-Files Season 1:
2q2mzj5.jpg

Star Trek The Motion Picture:
24eo0tu.jpg

Dragons of Eden:
2vd1836.jpg

World of Goo (pay whatever you want promo):
2n7mo0i.jpg

Wii Motion Plus:
2eo8w7p.jpg

And finally some GOG purchases:
2wcftow.jpg

j9ng3m.jpg

2 games which I've been waiting the shipment of since Tuesday, and the sequel to one of the best graphic novels in years.

Nerd heaven, sirs.

drkOne

v6hn2t.jpg

UC2 finished, great game. Proof that you can and should keep cutscenes at a minimum.
Demon's Souls is also fabulous. SIE2 is a nice sequel to what was already a great game. And still haven't tried KH 358/2.

25jegsx.jpg

Gurren Lagann v1 and 2 because I saw the cover in this thread and just had to get the books.
Petshop of Horrors v1, got it for cheap used.
PSPgo (with FFVII), again, picked it up because of the praise it got in this thread. Wasn't still fully convinced when I got it, but it really is a great piece of hardware and probably my best pickup this year.

Prince of Persia Epiloge: Loved the maingame, so I had to get this, and because it was a deal of the week.

99697_CIMG0104_122_127lo.JPG

LostWinds: Winter of the melodias: well, we already had some snow in the alps, so it's time to change the season in games too :D

99699_CIMG0103_122_135lo.JPG

And the best pickup in this month so far: new headphones. I accidently crushed my old headphones last week, so I ordered a new one. It's the AKG K450, the successor to my old model.

99692_CIMG0106_122_508lo.JPG

Yes Boss! said:
Fuck yeah! Space Invaders 2 localized finally. Ours streets tomorrow here in North America...though squeenix changed our cover to blue for some bizarre reason.

Still don't get why it took S-E America so bloody long. I imported the Japanese version when it launched back in March and everything was already in English. =|

Bii

4027479891_d44e86f140_o.jpg

Yakuza & Yakuza 2. Playstation 2. $35 for both.
I actually just wanted to buy the first Yakuza, but since an eBay seller was selling both for $35, I figured why not? Besides, I needed some new PS2 games to break me away from replaying Final Fantasy X.

4028234438_ff1e577b0c_o.jpg

Pocky. Almond Crush, Coconut and Choco Banana. A few bucks.
Got some Pocky from SF Chinatown that I haven't tried before (Coconut and Choco Banana).

4028234704_5fc7a7db29_o.jpg

Marvel tee & Merona V-Neck Argyl Sweaters.
All three of these were bought from Target. The Marvel tee was $12 and the sweaters were $30 each. The sweaters are just the way I like 'em, slim-fit yet flexible. I couldn't believe I found them at Target considering last fall/winter season, the only ones I found that I liked were Ralph Lauren Polo's but they were about double the price.

rockmang15 said:
Annnnnnndddd?? Whats the Verdict? Does it simulate a Real Haunted House? Were you scared??

Plays okay so far. You go around first person view playing through the stories of individual characters (like in the films and tv series). These are new stories too, so its cool for those looking for more than just rehashes of whats already been seen before. You use your Wii Remote to point direction you're facing and where flashlight is shining at. You pick up key items to unlock doors and stuff along the way as well batteries to help keep your flashlight lasting longer.

I did jump a couple times (actually a lot, hah) and there were some scenes where i had to shake the Wii Remote in a particular direction to escape. At the end of an episode, it reviews how well you did along with a measure your scare/sissy levels. Lulz...

It's not "great," but pretty koo so far. If any complaint, I'm disappointed there's no strafe for me to peak around corners. Will try again some more later.

Struct09

Bii said:
4027479891_d44e86f140_o.jpg

Yakuza & Yakuza 2. Playstation 2. $35 for both.
I actually just wanted to buy the first Yakuza, but since an eBay seller was selling both for $35, I figured why not? Besides, I needed some new PS2 games to break me away from replaying Final Fantasy X.

I'm sure it's been said before, but I think I can guess what the Yakuza 3 US boxart will look like

Yes Boss!

WEGGLES said:
Defination :lol

It is Bhavani's first shot at blu-ray so I'll cut them a break. Actually, I don't even know the quality of the actual movie (never seen it) but I buy every Indian blu-ray to show support. There are plenty of other Telugu movies that would have been better as a first release...sigh.

Infernal Monkey said:
Still don't get why it took S-E America so bloody long. I imported the Japanese version when it launched back in March and everything was already in English. =|

It is hilarious. Just yesterday I actually went to play-asia to see if there was a price-drop on the japanese version and up popped the american release. Did not even know about it. Only $18 delivered with the ECA discount at amazon.

Google

Yes Boss! said:
It is Bhavani's first shot at blu-ray so I'll cut them a break. Actually, I don't even know the quality of the actual movie (never seen it) but I buy every Indian blu-ray to show support. There are plenty of other Telugu movies that would have been better as a first release...sigh.

Why not just support the decent releases, showing that you'll only buy the worthwhile titles?

If you, and your friends, simply buy every release, they'll know they can release any old shit, in any old condition, and you'll buy it.

Yes Boss!

Google said:
Why not just support the decent releases, showing that you'll only buy the worthwhile titles?

If you, and your friends, simply buy every release, they'll know they can release any old shit, in any old condition, and you'll buy it.

That is one way to approach it. But I've always been an early adopter since laserdisc and for the smaller industries I believe showing full support initially is most important to get cash in their hands and to prove viability. Then I anticipate gradual improvement by giving constructive feedback to the outfit. Boycotting solves nothing...especially for print runs well less than 2000. Bhavani, for example, is very receptive to feedback and based out of Virginia.

B-Dex

Here is what I've gotten so far:

Blu Rays:
Snow White, Drag Me to Hell, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth (the last 2 have especially hideous Canadian packaging)
2ytqs9d.jpg

Games:
Brutal Legend, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Collector's Edition, Demon's Souls Collector's Edition, Fallout 3 GOTY Edition, Uncharted 2 (with shitty amazon treasure map pre-order bonus | not pictured), Fatal Frame, Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly (for XBOX baby)
egz314.jpg

Misc.:
Disney Vacation Package for my B-Day/Halloween trip next week :O
32zhvd4.jpg

TofuEater

red shoe paul said:
Yuck, wouldn't know why you'd want them too. :b

Because it would be a function you use once or twice then never use again. Its nice to have it actually there even if you dont use it.

luka said:
Yeah, I'd only want to play games on multiple monitors if I had 3 (and they'd have to have extremely thin bezels). 2 is just...no.

and Windows 7 again won't let you do this even with 3 monitors or 4 or 5 or how ever many you want. You will need to buy a USD$299 thing called a triplehead2go for it to work. Don't know about ATi's Eye Infinity and how that works but given horizontal span was actually in Windows XP as an option, no idea why they took it out.

Truespeed

PuMa said:
Nice pickup of Drag Me To Hell. I bought that this week as well and just watched it for the first time. Great movie.

Really? Ya, think so? I thought it was more disgusting than scary. Note to people who haven't seen it: don't eat anything while watching it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
moop2000 said:
Meta Knight donned Mario's Hat....
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb304/mcmahon_nathan/001-1.jpg[/IMG

[B]And then proceeded to beat on Master Chief!!![/B]
[IMG]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb304/mcmahon_nathan/002.jpg
I take that as a challenge, and raise you Kirby with a Mario hat using my "new" NES Advantage with Red Balltop:
advantagekirby.jpg

Also got the Digital Devil Saga Deluxe Box. Quite nice (Already had DDS2):
DDS1.jpg

DDS2.jpg
dds3.jpg

Yes Boss!

Gloomfire said:
Man, I couldn't disagree more.

Yep,

We all have our opinions. For me, up until now the best has been Wipeout HD, Valkyria Chronicles and the PSN exclusives. LBP and Uncharted 1 being admirable efforts. Uncharted 2 actually feels like something that could only be done on the system. Refreshing, given all the promises over the years. Looking forward to God of War 3 now.

Yes Boss! said:
Yeah, this one is a dream to build. I'm a Technic guy so a big scale model is new to me but this one has been an absolute pleasure. Here is where I'm at after a little over four hours:

P1020676-1.jpg
Coming along nicely, can't wait to see it finished :D

I'm seriously wanting to get my hands on some Lego again, just to relive those child memories :lol

Yes Boss!

ResidentDante said:
Coming along nicely, can't wait to see it finished :D

I'm seriously wanting to get my hands on some Lego again, just to relive those child memories :lol

Yeah, started at 8am this morning and just stopped at 11pm tonight. I think I'm about 55% done. I've been taking photos as I go and sending to my brother who is a massive, massive adult lego collector. Here is the dome which took quite some time. Think I've got about six hours more to go. Should have a pic tomorrow! It has been a ton of fun. I'm definitely gonna get another super-sized set next year.

P1020686.jpg

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Last week's pick-ups. Way Of The Samurai 3 and Uncharted 2.
4028178261_0fb98b829c_b.jpg

Nothing this week except for maybe Trine on PSN. Can't wait for next week...Tekken 6 (double-dipping!) and Bayonetta (J360)! :D

bozeman

Yes Boss! said:
It is hilarious. Just yesterday I actually went to play-asia to see if there was a price-drop on the japanese version and up popped the american release. Did not even know about it. Only $18 delivered with the ECA discount at amazon.

I thought they were still down.

osirus

Neo Member
My first pick-up post. :)

r0qtmf.jpg

This is my GSD Ronnie. I named him by Ronnie James Dio, who was initially announced as part of Brutal Legend's casting/soundtrack. He stepped down, but my Ronnie will not. :D

Top Bottom