• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Plays Mafia/Werewolf |OT5| Ma5ia Harder (Sign up in thread to play!)

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date

nukedeggs

WHOAH forums Mafia? This sounds really interesting! Never really played it on a forum, but I definitely like playing Avalon and The Resistance IRL. Seems like a lot of games are going now though, so do I have to wait to sign up? Or fulfill any other conditions?

WHOAH forums Mafia? This sounds really interesting! Never really played it on a forum, but I definitely like playing Avalon and The Resistance IRL. Seems like a lot of games are going now though, so do I have to wait to sign up? Or fulfill any other conditions?
You haven't signed up yet
Leave while you still can
It's too late for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
You can definitely sign up, and might even be able to get into a currently running game if enough replacements are needed. If you can't make it into a Season 5 game. you'll certainly make it into a 5.5 game.
Welcome aboard!

Coppanuva

What do we do if this rule conflicts with the other gafia staple of Always be lynching Fireblend?

I feel like we may be establishing more tautological rules than are good for us, but I do like to blame Sorian...

I don't see how it would conflict. Lynch fireblend then blame Sorian for the result if he's somehow not scum, and blame Sorian for it not being done sooner when Fireblend's scum!

Palmer_v1

You can join the replacement list just in case someone has to drop from an active game. Otherwise, you can sign up now for the next set of games. We also run impromptu games on short notice sometimes, so it's worth subscribing and watching for those as well.

nukedeggs

Thanks everyone. I assume the next set of games would be Bloodborne, Danny Phantom, and Pirates vs Ninjas, since I see Love Boat, Phoenix Wright, and Disney Princess topics?

Being a replacement in an already running game def sounds intimidating, but I'll probably read through the currently running threads to see how things are.

Thanks everyone. I assume the next set of games would be Bloodborne, Danny Phantom, and Pirates vs Ninjas, since I see Love Boat, Phoenix Wright, and Disney Princess topics?

Being a replacement in an already running game def sounds intimidating, but I'll probably read through the currently running threads to see how things are.
What we do is have main season games, like Love Boat, PW, and DP (stop thinking dirty thoughts), and then we have mid-season games, which are normally smaller and take shorter to finish up. Then we do a season review and prep for the next season

Gorlak

Banned
That was my idea :c

Hey, if you are interested we can work together :) Flavour should be interchangebly. I chose Dragon Ball because Super is on air every week (what a time to be alive) and I expect a few new players to jump in here.
Fluff matters to me, but always should come in second behind the game mechanics. It's possible for me to change my flavour. I debated Doctor Who, but ultimately didn't feel comfortable, because I'm not up to date yet (just started Series 7) .

And it would be nice to have some kind of mechanism behind the mid-season selection. Just shouting and advertising loud enough isn't suitable for everyone. But I'm all in favour for letting the players decide what they want to play, because they are the ones that take part and should be interested in the game. No doubt this will lead to some games never happening, because they can't attract enough interest.

Maybe a simple vote is enough? At least give every willing moderator a chance to say "here is my game, we can play if you want" ~ but there has to be some kind of coordination, otherwise it's just the kind of shouting mentioned above. I tend to overthink such regularities...

Simply getting in line and let "first come, first serve" take place is a bad way to decide on which games to play and furthermore who gets to play them.
I prefer RNG over this any time.

Karkador

Banned
Yeah I agree that some kind of system to vote games in (preferrably before they're all ready to go). Or maybe just vote on who you want to run a new game?

It sucks to see games that probably got all this effort put into them just not even get run, because people don't seem to care, or there aren't enough people to play.

Personally, since it takes me so long to iron out the details of a game I want to run, lots of other people will claim a spot before me...then months go by as the season runs its course and I lose a lot of steam.

*Splinter

Didn't we discuss all this pre-season? I thought we came to some kind of concensus (that I've forgotten)

Also I think it's great that we have so many games in the pipeline or even ready to go, we should always have something ready for an unexpected gap in the schedule (though I get that it can be disheartening to be sitting on a game and unable to run it).

Sorian

Banned
Didn't we discuss all this pre-season? I thought we came to some kind of concensus (that I've forgotten)

Also I think it's great that we have so many games in the pipeline or even ready to go, we should always have something ready for an unexpected gap in the schedule (though I get that it can be disheartening to be sitting on a game and unable to run it).

It's going to keep coming up again since we have so many games bursting at the seams and so little time/players to run them all.

I honestly don't understand the rule with having no mid-season game while all 3 main season games are running. Just don't allow people to play in 2 games at the same time. Can anyone make a compelling argument why we shouldn't allow dead players to run a or play in another game?

I also am fan of "vote with feet" aka, just announce your mid-season games wildwest style and people may or may not sign up for it.

Sorian

Banned
I honestly don't understand the rule with having no mid-season game while all 3 main season games are running. Just don't allow people to play in 2 games at the same time. Can anyone make a compelling argument why we shouldn't allow dead players to run a or play in another game?

I also am fan of "vote with feet" aka, just announce your mid-season games wildwest style and people may or may not sign up for it.

Bolded isn't a rule currently. Last we talked about this, I think we said that only 3 total games should be running at a time so we don't have too many threads taking up space on GAF's community section. It also worked because if one of the main season games was completely done then that means a new mid season game would have a healthy supply of players and replacements. But yeah, mid season games do not need to wait for all three games to end.

Coppanuva

I don't really either on the first part. It's theoretically possible all main season games last the exact same length of time, or end the same week, while we'd have 40 or so people not playing who might be waiting for that arbitrary deadline to pass.

As for voting with your feet... yeah I can see the appeal to that or the "Let popular choices run" approach like Kark suggested. For mid-season especially there's a limited pool of players available and even if 20 want to play a game, if only 10 are interested in playing the scheduled theme it would hold up starting the game until the other spots are found, whereas another theme might be ready to go already. It also would have some issues where the gamerunner might still be playing another game and not ready to run it.

Sorian

Banned
It's theoretically possible all main season games last the exact same length of time, or end the same week, while we'd have 40 or so people not playing who might be waiting for that arbitrary deadline to pass.

This is true and I'm sure in such an extreme case, it would be taken into consideration. Do also remember that about 25% of our players take breaks during mid-season time so 40 dead does not equal 40 ready to play (I know that high of a number would still have enough for a mid season game anyway :p)

roytheone

I don't know about this honestly. We currently have so many games planned, that if you use that kind of wildwest voting, gamerunners may (justly) fear that if they wait a bit with proposing their game, someone will jump before them and they will not get to run it, which may lead to too much pressure of gamerunners to propose their games very soon.

I don't know about this honestly. We currently have so many games planned, that if you use that kind of wildwest voting, gamerunners may (justly) fear that if they wait a bit with proposing their game, someone will jump before them and they will not get to run it, which may lead to too much pressure of gamerunners to propose their games very soon.
This all comes down to when S6 will start.

It also doesn't make a ton of sense having no mid-season game while signups for the next main season are live imo.

Sorian

Banned
This all comes down to when S6 will start.

It also doesn't make a ton of sense having no mid-season game while signups for the next main season are live imo.

The issue there is we don't want a mid-season game delaying the start of a main season since main season games are targeting more players than a mid season game. We were forced to delay more this season due to slow sign-ups :(

Hey, if you are interested we can work together :) Flavour should be interchangebly. I chose Dragon Ball because Super is on air every week (what a time to be alive) and I expect a few new players to jump in here.
Fluff matters to me, but always should come in second behind the game mechanics. It's possible for me to change my flavour. I debated Doctor Who, but ultimately didn't feel comfortable, because I'm not up to date yet (just started Series 7) .

And it would be nice to have some kind of mechanism behind the mid-season selection. Just shouting and advertising loud enough isn't suitable for everyone. But I'm all in favour for letting the players decide what they want to play, because they are the ones that take part and should be interested in the game. No doubt this will lead to some games never happening, because they can't attract enough interest.

Maybe a simple vote is enough? At least give every willing moderator a chance to say "here is my game, we can play if you want" ~ but there has to be some kind of coordination, otherwise it's just the kind of shouting mentioned above. I tend to overthink such regularities...

Simply getting in line and let "first come, first serve" take place is a bad way to decide on which games to play and furthermore who gets to play them.
I prefer RNG over this any time.

I was only joking, I had it as an idea before the last round of games but didn't do anything since effort, take it and run wild!

Gorlak

Banned
I mean, does somebody honestly NOT think that Yeeny her posting style is just a front that hides an evil creature that feeds on the anguish of others?

I read every post of Yeeny in Gortys' voice since Tales from the Borderlands. Perfect impersonation of her.

char_146234.jpg

I was only joking, I had it as an idea before the last round of games but didn't do anything since effort, take it and run wild!
shocking RNH, 4 eyes are better than 2 german ones.
tumblr_m5y8s9811f1ryf7dio1_500.gif

Sorian

Banned
That could be an interesting theme. Nursing home residents want to lynch Blanche, Sophia, Rose and Dorothy because they took out life insurance policies on them. Deaths must appear natural to get payout.

Ouro teased (not seriously) a retirement home game once. One of the roles was an Alzheimer's patient that could have their role revealed to the thread by the moderator because they forgot what it was. Ouro gets dark with flavor sometimes :p

Ourobolus

Banned
Ouro teased (not seriously) a retirement home game once. One of the roles was an Alzheimer's patient that could have their role revealed to the thread by the moderator because they forgot what it was. Ouro gets dark with flavor sometimes :p

I do not.

Poor Alejandra.

Gorlak

Banned
On this, can we replace in us the three UZ timezones South Tokyo time gmt+9. I spent most of my life in that country and those motherfuckers don't need three times. Network television only got two when i was growing up and that is literally catered to the lowest common denominator.

Well GMT and CET aren't exactly indistinguishable either. I liked the old counter far better :p Always displayed the right time for everyone...It's magic.

Any reason we dropped those in favour of the colour cards?

Sorian

Banned
Well GMT and CET aren't exactly indistinguishable either. I liked the old counter far better :p Always displayed the right time for everyone...It's magic.

Any reason we dropped those in favour of the colour cards?

The old counters were starting to get caught by different work filters for some reason. That's why GAF at large stopped using them. I think we just followed along. The important bit is seeing exactly how much time is left. A little math never hurt anyone.

Gorlak

Banned
The old counters were starting to get caught by different work filters for some reason. That's why GAF at large stopped using them. I think we just followed along. The important bit is seeing exactly how much time is left. A little math never hurt anyone.

Ah, okay. And I don't need math, my time is on the counter :p

Palmer_v1

There's no rule about mid season games and main games coexisting. It's more an issue of logistics in that you have a limited pool of players.

I'm also fine with the vote with your feet thing, personally. Just advertise your game when you're ready to run it and wait for players to sign up.

Palmer_v1

Much like Nintendo though, Czartim has decided it's time to upgrade the NX. Soon, people will be able to line up for the nxU. Or something. Get Hype.

I volunteer for alzheimer patient! I don't know if I'd be of any use to the game, but I'd enjoy the roleplay.

Top Bottom