• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Super Smash Bros. Brawl Singles Tournament #1

Kirk

I didn't want to post anything about the details of my matches, since the knowledge might give an advantage to future opponents (not concerned too much about myself, but I thought it would be rude to give away something about my first opponent). I switched characters for all matches, but I should have stuck with my first. I won the first match but lost the second two.

Firestorm

dragonlife29 said:
All right, then. I'd like to be a sub, please :D (S'that mean I'll play people who didn't get a reply PM from their should've-been opponents?)

yep.

Er, I need you to post all the required information preferrably in the format the first post uses.

Dragmire

I responded to Superbank's PM. And just to clear some stuff up... the first match is on Yoshi's Island, then we choose a stage to do a rematch on? And if the loser wins in the rematch, there's one more match, which is the final deciding match? Or am I confused?

Jiggy

There's something ironic about how the two best Brawl GAFers I've played against online are either not entered in this tournament or entered only as a sub.

Firestorm

Dragmire said:
I responded to Superbank's PM. And just to clear some stuff up... the first match is on Yoshi's Island, then we choose a stage to do a rematch on? And if the loser wins in the rematch, there's one more match, which is the final deciding match? Or am I confused?

Yes. First match on Yoshi's Island, then you rematch on the stage the LOSER picked, then if needed rematch on the stage the last person picked.

So let's say it goes like this. superbank wants Pirate Ship, you want Halberd.

First Match: Yoshi's Island. Winner: Dragmire
Second Match: Pirate Ship. Winner: superbank
Third Match: Halberd. Winner: superbank

Winner: superbank

yeb

KevinCow vs. yeb

Match 1: Yoshi's Island, Olimar (K.Cow) vs Snake (yeb) - Winner: K.Cow
Match 2: Skyworld, Olimar (K.Cow) vs. Snake (yeb) - Winner: K.Cow
Winner: KevinCow

First match was crazy, he had a great comeback and finished me with a spike when he was at over 100%. Second match was all him, so I may need to rethink my counterpick stage. >_>
GGs again to KevinCow

Jiggy

I'm not sure whether I'm more surprised that people keep sticking to one character or that nobody yet has reported picking Smashville. I get thrown into Smashville almost perpetually when I'm online. >_>

Edit: I like that stage, though; not a complaint. In another thread I actually said that I hope that and Yoshi's Island because the standard tourney stages for Brawl, instead of Final Destination with its recovery-killing edge that sticks out.

Vanish

we're supposed to post our pms to our opponent right?

just Sent this to SuperAngelo64:

hey i got you for the smash tourney right? im free all day tomorrow (march 23rd). i live in eastern time. Let me know when you can play

XiaNaphyrz vs Phaethon0017

1st: Yoshi's Island - Winner Phaethon0017
2nd: Battlefield - Winner XiaNaphyrz
3rd: Final Destination - Winner XiaNaphyrz

Winner XiaNaphyrz

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
GG Phaethon, that one double KO we had at one point was rockin.

Firestorm, quick question for ya. What is the calendar window going to be for each round? I'm going to be out on vacation from April 12 to the 19 and I'd hate to have to drop out on account of that.

Enk

makes good threads.
The match was tense and xaxor0 fought with all his heart, but my sword and stumps came out victoriously in the end. Now I need to go wash my controller. It's covered in sweat juices.

First Match: Yoshi's Island. Winner: Enk
Second Match: Battlefield. Winner: Enk
Winner: Enk

OgnodoD

Jiggy, I've been unable to get my online for Brawl to work at all. It doesn't matter whether it's someone I've swapped codes with or just a random match. I think I'm going to have to forfeit. I'm sorry. I'll find a way to make it up to you. (Free VC game or something of that nature. )

Firestorm

OgnodoD said:
Jiggy, I've been unable to get my online for Brawl to work at all. It doesn't matter whether it's someone I've swapped codes with or just a random match. I think I'm going to have to forfeit. I'm sorry. I'll find a way to make it up to you. (Free VC game or something of that nature. )

So you go online and then can't connect? Have you tried getting others to connect to you? How about the tips in the wireless networking thread?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
biggkidd32 said:
I still need an opponent.
You do know you're playing Pillowknight, right? Or do you mean he's not replying to your PMs?

Anyhoo, Firestorm can you answer my vacation question? :D

OgnodoD said:
If you can get others to connect to you but cannot connect to others, it's most likely a port forwarding problem. If you cannot connect at all then I'm not really sure what's wrong. Either way, try DMZing your Wii and see if that works.

Arol

Relix said:
Einjehar or Crimmy, you guys had your fight yet? Cuz I am ready for the next one :D

Actually on this note I'm wondering if we'll be able to do our next round match if its available?

Or should we wait until next round begins?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Arol said:
Actually on this note I'm wondering if we'll be able to do our next round match if its available?

Or should we wait until next round begins?

Yeah the faster the better.

Arol

Well the first round didn't actually begin until today and ends on Tuesday. Some of us just had time to do matches beforehand.

Hopefully they haven't bothered to check mostly because they assumed it wouldn't start until today.

JoeFu

Banned
just played against SantaC who had a nice G&W :)

First match on Yoshi's Island I won by 1 stock i think
Second match on Smashville Santa won by 2 i think
Third match on Green Hill Zone I won by 2.

So I guess I pass on.

Firestorm

XiaNaphryz said:
GG Phaethon, that one double KO we had at one point was rockin.

Firestorm, quick question for ya. What is the calendar window going to be for each round? I'm going to be out on vacation from April 12 to the 19 and I'd hate to have to drop out on account of that.

I was going to go with 3 days per round. But if you make it that far I'll probably get a bit more lenient as there'd be fewer people and most likely active people left. Making catching up a lot easier than it is in the earlier rounds. Stick with it.

usea

Jiggy37 said:
I'm not sure whether I'm more surprised that people keep sticking to one character or that nobody yet has reported picking Smashville. I get thrown into Smashville almost perpetually when I'm online. >_>

Edit: I like that stage, though; not a complaint. In another thread I actually said that I hope that and Yoshi's Island because the standard tourney stages for Brawl, instead of Final Destination with its recovery-killing edge that sticks out.
I picked smashville as my counterpick. I couldn't agree more about yoshi's island and smashville. Battlefield is good too, but smashville is definitely my favorite level.

Acerac and I have set a match time. I can't wait, should be fun.

Firestorm

My favourite stages at the moment are Halberd, Pirate Ship, Yoshi's Island, and Smashville. The first two due to the music and character association more than anything I think :lol

Firestorm

We might just have 3 prizes, even replacing mine. Gonna confirm and then post it.

Oh and I missed it, but you can move one round ahead if you'd like but please tell me that it's the next round when you report it. The bracket this time is easy enough to follow that you can actually tell who your next opponent is.

Teknoman

biggkidd32 said:
yeah i haven't been able to get in touch with PillowKnight.

Same here, havent recieved a reply from RevnantKioku (my first match up) either.

So I might end up having to fight a sub.

Round One: DeceitDecide v. JSnake

First Match: Yoshi's Island. Winner: JSnake
Second Match: Frigate Orpheon. Winner: DeceitDecide
Third Match: Shadow Moses Island. Winner: DeceitDecide

Winner: DeceitDecide

slayn

needs to show more effort.
It's kind of scary that all the people I've played and think are pretty good are losing

Round One: biggkidd32 v. PillowKnight

First Match: Yoshi's Island. Winner: biggkidd32
Second Match: Final Destination. Winner: biggkidd32

Winner: biggkidd32

Jiggy

Winner's Bracket Round 1 Results and Statistics

All matches begin on Yoshi's Island. Listed stages are for second matches, and third where applicable. The numbering system is the match order in Firestorm's bracket. Underlines show the order of winners.

3) OliveJuice (Falco, Falco) over SS4Gogita (Lucas, Lucas) 2-0; Pirate Ship
6) slayn (Ike, Ike, Ike) over Kusagari (Diddy, Lucas, Lucas) 3-0 (yes, really 3-0); Delfino Plaza, Yoshi's Island
7) Dechaios (Ganondorf, Ganondorf) over Zeed (Marth, Marth) 2-0; Final Destination
9) KevinCow (Olimar, Olimar) over yeb (Snake, Snake) 2-0; Skyworld
10) Masked Man (Lucas, Lucas) over Schattenjagger (Link, Link) 2-0; Bridge of Eldin
11) biggkidd32 (Wolf, Wolf) over PillowKnight (Marth, Marth) 2-0; Final Destination
12) projectkuro (Mr. Game & Watch, Mr. Game & Watch, Mr. Game & Watch) over MGrant (Ness, Ness, Ness) 2-1; Smashville, Final Destination
13) DeceitDecide (Pikachu, Pikachu, Pikachu) over JSnake (Ike, Ike, Ike) 2-1; Frigate Orpheon, Shadow Moses Island
14) Teknoman (Lucario, Pokemon Trainer) over RevenantKioku (Jigglypuff, Jigglypuff) 2-0; Flat Zone 2
15) dfyb (King Dedede, King Dedede) over jibblypop (Meta Knight, Ike) 2-0; WarioWare
17) Arol (Meta Knight, Lucario, Lucario) over NeoForte (Lucas, Lucas, Lucas) 2-1; Final Destination, Halberd
19) Nabster92 (Ike, Marth) over Kinosen (Diddy, Diddy) 2-0; Battlefield
24) PunjabiPlaya (Ike, Ike) over Economan (Ness, Ness) 2-0; Final Destination
25) viewtiful_dru (Pikachu, Pikachu) over truendo (Samus, Samus) 2-0
26) MrCheez (Olimar, Olimar) over Dreavus (Ganondorf, Meta Knight) 2-0; Halberd
28) BudokaiMR2 (Marth, Marth) over justchris (Kirby, Kirby) 2-0; Pirate Ship
30) Cyan (Pikachu, Kirby, Pikachu) over Iam Canadian (Lucas, Lucas, Lucas) 2-1; Luigi's Mansion, Smashville
31) ICallItFutile (Marth, Marth, Marth) over muttyeah416 (Diddy, Marth, Marth) 2-1; Final Destination, Final Destination
33) Zozz (Diddy Kong, Diddy Kong) over bigmakstudios (Pit, Pit) 2-0; Shadow Moses Island
38) funkmastergeneral over Malfunky 2-1; Smashville, Hyrule Temple
39) Aladuf23 over Kirk 2-1 (Aladuf wins latter two matches)
40) Enk over zaxor0 2-0; Battlefield
41) SuperAngelo64 over Vanish 2-0; Battlefield
42) Teasel (Olimar, Olimar) over crowphoenix (Toon Link, Ike) 2-0; Pirate Ship
45) bran (Marth, Marth, Marth) over Costanza (Kirby, Kirby, Kirby) 2-1; Final Destination, Shadow Moses Island
47) BlueSummers (Ness, Ness) over Hatchet Man (Mr. Game & Watch, Lucario) 2-0
48) XiaNaphyrz over Phaethon0017 2-1 (XN wins latter two matches); Battlefield, Final Destination
49) JoeFu (Pikachu, Pikachu, Pikachu) over SantaC (Mr. Game & Watch, Mr. Game & Watch, Mr. Game & Watch) 2-1; Smashville, Green Hill Zone
50) Blizzard (Kirby, Kirby, Kirby) over Keru_Shiri (Ike, Pikachu, Pikachu) 2-1; Battlefield, Smashville
51) shaft (Ike, Ike) over HotByCold (Kirby, R.O.B.) 2-0; Smashville
54) SixStringPsycho over el jacko by opponent forfeit
55) Relix (Luigi, Luigi) over Firestorm (Meta Knight, Toon Link) 2-0; Halberd
56) Crimmy over Einherjar 2-0; Final Destination
60) Killa Sasa (Link, Link, Link) over scottnak (Kirby, Kirby, Kirby) 2-1; Lylat Cruise, Halberd
61) Acerac (Kirby, Kirby) over usea (R.O.B., Olimar) 2-0; Smashville
63) Cowie (Toon Link, Toon Link) over Auron_Kale (Snake, Snake) 2-0; Smashville

Matches complete: 36/64. Over 56% of the first round is done!
Shutouts: 23
2-1 matchups: 12
Forfeits: 1

Preferred stages:
Final Destination (10)
Smashville (9)
Battlefield (5)
Halberd (4)
Pirate Ship, Shadow Moses Island (3 each)

All other stages seen so far were picked only once. They are: Bridge of Eldin, Delfino Plaza, Flat Zone 2, Frigate Orpheon, Green Hill Zone, Hyrule Temple, Luigi's Mansion, Lylat Cruise, Skyworld, WarioWare, and Yoshi's Island. (Noting, of course, that Yoshi's Island had to be played on in all rounds, so using it as a counterpick would naturally be rare. >_>)

Edit: This is getting exciting! :D And by "this" I mean, of course, keeping track of stats. >_>

slayn

needs to show more effort.
slayn vs Kusagari
round 1: Yoshi's Island slayn(Ike) vs Kusagari(Diddy) - slayn wins
round 2: Delfino Plaza slayn(Ike) vs Kusagari(Lucas) - slayn wins
round 3: Yoshi's Island slayn(Ike) vs Kusagari(Lucas) - slayn wins

slayn wins

Kusagari wanted a 3rd round, so we played 3 anyway.

Top Bottom