• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

BFIB

This. Pause. Shut off TV, go to sleep. Wake up, go to school, come home, turn on TV, unpause.

I was right at the end of the first TMNT, got into the Technodrome and near the end. Had to go to bed, put the game on pause, went to sleep, to school, and thought about it all day. "I'm finally going to beat it today!" Got home, and saw the little red light on the NES was off.

Many internal struggles were made that day.

Syriel

I was right at the end of the first TMNT, got into the Technodrome and near the end. Had to go to bed, put the game on pause, went to sleep, to school, and thought about it all day. "I'm finally going to beat it today!" Got home, and saw the little red light on the NES was off.

How 80's parents trolled kids.

"Oh, sorry about that. I noticed you didn't have time to clean your room, so I picked up and dusted for you. Guess I must have bumped the power button by accident. My bad."

OmegaFax

This stopped working a few years into owning your NES. At least it did for ours. The slightest vibration next to the thing would cause the game to freeze.

or the power goes out for a split second in the middle of the night or I trigger the circuit breaker by drawing too much power >_>

nikos

I'm going to try my luck at Nintendo NY tomorrow. They've been receiving stock and handing out wristbands at 9am lately, including yesterday and today. Have the day off tomorrow, so I'm going to head over there in the morning. Hoping lining up around 8:30 will suffice.

JDdelphin

In a few months the Switch will be out.

736110.gif

DeathPeak

Brickseek doesn't want to load for me. Hoping Walmart or Target get some in this week. It'd be fun to play with friends on New Year's Eve!

This stopped working a few years into owning your NES. At least it did for ours. The slightest vibration next to the thing would cause the game to freeze.

or the power goes out for a split second in the middle of the night or I trigger the circuit breaker by drawing too much power >_>

This happened to me several times back in the 'leave system on because no passwords' days, total hate rage.

jmizzal

Got one. Hopefully you can still return everything.

I wouldnt think they would rig the system where you cant, when I went the guy thought he could only give store credit, but I asked for cash back so he tried for cash back and it went through and he handed me my cash.

Boke1879

Yup. just caved and bought one. Only thing I hate about GS is they are shit with the shipping prices.

So I got the 80 dollar bundle with the controller. If I want to return it. I just take it to a GS store?

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I wouldnt think they would rig the system where you cant, when I went the guy thought he could only give store credit, but I asked for cash back so he tried for cash back and it went through and he handed me my cash.

Sweet. I am so exicted now.

Bundles up on gamestop.com
http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-3-nes+classic,28zu0

remember you can return the items you dont want for cash, I did it myself

thanks for that. i managed to snag one. had to get the $105 bundle with the playing with power book. kind of curious though... the nes classic is $60 and the book seems to sell for $22.50 on it's own... did they really tax me that much on this bundle? can i return the items i don't want at any gamestop store? i'm not interested in the book...

jmizzal

Yup. just caved and bought one. Only thing I hate about GS is they are shit with the shipping prices.

So I got the 80 dollar bundle with the controller. If I want to return it. I just take it to a GS store?

Yea when it ships to you it will have a return label and receipt, each item is listed separately, show them that.

thanks for that. i managed to snag one. had to get the $105 bundle with the playing with power book. kind of curious though... the nes classic is $60 and the book seems to sell for $22.50 on it's own... did they really tax me that much on this bundle? can i return the items i don't want at any gamestop store? i'm not interested in the book...

The book was $45, looks like its on sale now, depends on whats on the receipt when it ships to you, mine had the $45 price when I returned it. Maybe when you buy it on its own its $22 now, but I wouldnt put it pass Gamestop to try and give you $22 back instead of $45.

Boke1879

Oh yea. GameStop is definitely taxing. It's why they are doing these bundles in the first place. They know a sucker like me will buy em lol

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Got a confirmation that my order at GS went through for the bundle. Hope I can return the controller as I don't want it.

Yea when it ships to you it will have a return label and receipt, each item is listed separately, show them that.

The book was $45, looks like its on sale now, depends on whats on the receipt when it ships to you, mine had the $45 price when I returned it. Maybe when you buy it on its own its $22 now, but I wouldnt put it pass Gamestop to try and give you $22 back instead of $45.

ok, awesome. will be super happy if i get $45 back for the book. thanks!

nikos

Got one on my first try.

Queued up at Nintendo NY around around 8:15. There were already about 30 people in line. Wristbands were handed out around 8:45, and the doors opened at 9. One per customer, per month. Photo ID and debit/credit payment required. Saw a lot of resellers. One guy was cycling through a bunch of IDs, lol.

Overall a good and easy experience. As long as you line up around 8, you should be fine. The only gamble is whether or not they'll have stock that morning. Not sure if they do every day, but they've been tweeting a few times per week at around 8:45 indicating that they'd be handing out wristbands at 9:00. They usually sell out within two hours. When I left around 10:15 (browsed and ran errands in the area), the line was two blocks long and the tweet had just gone out that they had sold out.

EDIT: Anywhere to get the official controller?

Yeah, but the test I linked showed that the NES Classic had no more lag than an original NES, it was all in the TV.

While the video didn't seem to show much of a difference, I definitely noticed it on mine. Plus he's comparing different inputs, composite from the NES at 240p (which the TV might be interpreting as 480i, which would add more lag) to HDMI from the NES classic at 720p. I run 1080p from my AV Famicom with the HiDefNES kit through HDMI and the NES classic through HDMI, and there is definitely at least a frame or two of added lag from the NES classic.

Saw a lot of resellers. One guy was cycling through a bunch of IDs, lol.

I'm curious as to how much profit scalpers think they'll make on these now with Christmas now gone. A quick look on ebay shows recently completed listings in the $140-150 range. That's only going to trend downwards going into 2017 and assuming Nintendo gets them more readily available in stores.

//DEVIL//

I have a question about this item. I already have one I got when it was released along with another controller. this item considered rare because it was made in a very limited quantity ? or are they still producing this but in very short amount ?

I mean, if I sold mine today and I made a profit, is it possible to buy one later for the same official price or the prices will just go higher ?

is this an artificial shortage or its really a very limited release ?

Rival

Gold Member
I have a question about this item. I already have one I got when it was released along with another controller. this item considered rare because it was made in a very limited quantity ? or are they still producing this but in very short amount ?

I mean, if I sold mine today and I made a profit, is it possible to buy one later for the same official price or the prices will just go higher ?

You'll be able to find these everywhere soon.

nikos

I'm curious as to how much profit scalpers think they'll make on these now with Christmas now gone. A quick look on ebay shows recently completed listings in the $140-150 range. That's only going to trend downwards going into 2017 and assuming Nintendo gets them more readily available in stores.

Yeah, they're under $200 on craigslist as well. I'm guessing these will become more readily available within the next few weeks and the reselling will start to dwindle.

The official controller is rarer than the system, imo

I saw them on Amazon briefly on launch day but never again after.

Yeah, one of Nintendo's employees indicated that they rarely get a restock on controllers. Don't want to go third party, so I'll have to hold out for one.

Syriel

If you wanted to resell, you should have done it before Xmas.

Nintendo underestimated demand, but this is not a limited edition. As long as it keeps selling, they'll keep making.

The Ummah

Banned
C'mon Nintendo, throw a bone to your Nintendog over here! Trying to get a NES Classic with an extra controller at retail price!

I really don't want to have to go through GameStop with a bundle. Hoping I can just run into one soon locally but I doubt it.

shanafan

C'mon Nintendo, throw a bone to your Nintendog over here! Trying to get a NES Classic with an extra controller at retail price!

I really don't want to have to go through GameStop with a bundle. Hoping I can just run into one soon locally but I doubt it.

They had a bundle for $80 for the Classic NES and Miniboss wireless controller ($20 retail).

Why does Nintendo keep selling incomplete hardware? And why do people keep taking this shit? There's no power cable, just a USB cable. How do I power this thing then?

Nintendo just presumes I have a USB power brick lying around, just like they presume everyone has a 3DS charger. So done with this company.

FinKL

Why does Nintendo keep selling incomplete hardware? And why do people keep taking this shit? There's no power cable, just a USB cable. How do I power this thing then?

Nintendo just presumes I have a USB power brick lying around, just like they presume everyone has a 3DS charger. So done with this company.

There's a USB power brick in the box? Also, this shit is selling out, they could just give you the console and controller and we'd take it.

Um, there's one in the box.

D.Lo

The 3DS charger is the same as the DSi/3DS/3DSXL/N3DS/N3DSXL. I as very happy they didn't include one, saves people who already have one (or two like I did) from paying extra for something that will just stay in the box. And I have literally 10 suitable USB chargers already. One of which is my TV, which I use to power the system. It makes the SKU cheaper, and makes it have to pass less local regulations and require various power plug shapes for 50Hz territories.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
The 3DS charger is the same as the DSi/3DS/3DSXL/N3DS/N3DSXL. I as very happy they didn't include one, saves people who already have one (or two like I did) from paying extra for something that will just stay in the box. And I have literally 10 suitable USB chargers already. One of which is my TV, which I use to power the system. It makes the SKU cheaper, and makes it have to pass less local regulations and require various power plug shapes for 50Hz territories.

Plus USB power cubes are every where. Seem like I have 7 of them lying around just because of iphones and my outlet has a usb port on it now as well.

So yeah I really don't like the lag this thing has. PM me if you want to buy this at retail price ($59.99). Only been used for an hour. Complete in box (free shipping within US).

Boke1879

Well after ordering from Gamestop this morning it seems my NES classic will be here tomorrow. Definitely gonna try and get cash back for that extra controller

People are still spreading this tripe, damn.

I as very happy they didn't include one, saves people who already have one (or two like I did) from paying extra for something that will just stay in the box...it makes the SKU cheaper, and makes it have to pass less local regulations and require various power plug shapes for 50Hz territories.
Except, the US package got one, and we aren't paying any extra for it. Europe isn't getting any discount because it doesn't have a power supply in the box. Same with 3DS and all those other systems you mentioned.

Syriel

...makes it have to pass less local regulations and require various power plug shapes for 50Hz territories.

This is the main reason for no plug in EU land. Nintendo didn't want to deal with multiple plugs or adapters and different SKUs for a low margin product.

North America has one plug across the continent.

Top Bottom