• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix now has more than 75 million subscribers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there breakdowns of where those subscribers are? I gotta imagine they're hitting a ceiling in the US; everyone either has a subscription, has access to someone else's or is old.

Reversed

Our, or most of, our Blockbusters turned into B Stores since Grupo Salinas (Elektra, TV Azteca, etc) bought the establishments. I have seen lots of big discount offers lately, so I guess they were a bad idea.

rjinaz

The other thread made it sound like there was going to be a massive exodus if Netflix closed the back door.

Man how cheap does someone have to be to do this?

Neflix has a plan that allows 4 connections. My family shares the bill, and has for years between 3 houses.

reKon

Banned
wonder how many of those 75 million subscribers share accounts with others. I use my sister/her fiances Netflix and she uses my HBO Now account.

watched my 2nd Netflix series... that Jessica Jones, whew

Clockwork

I remember buying my first DVD player in late 1997 or early 1998 and it had a Netflix coupon in the box. I ended up subscribing and it was glorious.

jambo

It's a shame Blockbuster couldn't think of a way to keep competitive. Something like movie deliveries would have been interesting. It's been a while but sometimes I get an urge to want to go to a rental store and look for movies or games to rent. Well not so much anymore because I use UV codes and VUDU for all new releases, but still. The people in charge of the brand failed miserably at staying on top of the trends and the changing market.

It's a shame Blockbuster didn't buy Netflix when they were offered it.

http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/epic-fail-how-blockbuster-could-have-owned-netflix-1200823443/

It will go down as one of the biggest missed opportunities in the boardroom: Blockbuster deciding not to buy Netflix.

But that’s what could have happened multiple times throughout the early 2000s when Netflix CEO and co-founder Reed Hastings courted a deal with Blockbuster-chief John Antioco to purchase the then DVD-by-mail rental company for $50 million (the company now has a market cap of $19.7 billion).

Hey, guys!

Remember me:

Netflix_return_envelope_large.jpg

What a ride it's been. One of the best and forward thinking pivots in business history.

That's because, from what I've read, it wasn't really a pivot. Netflix as it is now was the original plan. Guy wanted a movie and TV streaming service, but streaming tech wasn't ready yet. So he did DVDs by mail as a way to pass the time and get a foot in the door until the market and tech was there.

reKon

Banned
Netflix could cost $15 a month and it would still be worth it. Dunno about much higher than that. HBO still destroys it Film wise. TV show wise, Netflix has gotten much much better.

Are there breakdowns of where those subscribers are? I gotta imagine they're hitting a ceiling in the US; everyone either has a subscription, has access to someone else's or is old.

45 million in US. 30 million outside US.

Netflix currently has 37.5% penetration rate among households in US (overall there are 120 million households in US)

farmerboy

I'm in oz and i subscribe to Netflix Quickflix and Stan.

$30 bucks a month total. I stream mainly from netflix. I also stream from Stan though their streaming isn't a patch on netflix. I only do it cos it broadens the shows I have available to me.

Seriously, I don't get why a streaming service doesn't offer the same content wherever it's available.

Also quickflix for my blu rays. Still love my physical media. Gotta have me my bitrates!

But good on netflix. It's a great service.

Struct09

It's amazing how well Netflix turned things around. I still remember how grim their outlook was about 5 years ago. I've been subscribing since the DVD by mail days and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon given how good their original content has been.

And on top of all that they have some really awesome projects they've contributed to the open source community.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Those intenational losses are not a good sign. They have grow internationally because the US market is done but all that growth does to them is cost money. I think they underestimated the existing European streaming services.

The VPN shutdown outrage is one of those most "There's dozens of us! DOZENS!" situations I've ever seen. It sucks for those that are going to lose a lot of content, but it's not gonna to have an appreciable impact on Netflix's subscriber base.

When it was still pretty new I remember being blown away by the quality and amount of content, using it on my 360 in a dorm like seven years ago or whatever it was. This was when you still had to add movies from the site to your queue to see them appear on your list on the 360 app. Recall watching a documentary that followed David Lynch around while he was filming Lost Highway, was impressed they had something like that on there.

Now all I do is watch shows I've already seen 3-4x over xD

You are on NeoGAF. A "massive" wave of complaints about something here is the equivalent of throwing a pebble at the ocean.

I wasn't serious. I was more mocking the people suggesting the exodus. I forget sometimes typing things out can be hard to read the tone sometimes.

I share an account with a friend. Am I morally bankrupt for doing that to?

Netflix is an amazing deal and the fact that someone has trouble paying the $8 - $10 a month for all that content available bothers me in the way that media is being devalued.

It's a good thing they didn't. Had they bought Netflix, we probably wouldn't have what we do today. Netflix as we know it wouldn't exist.

My parents still use the disc service. Its an incredible catalog if you don't mind waiting. I hope they don't retire it for a while

Ya, I hope this sticks around for awhile. There's a wealth of content that's only available through disc only compared to what Netflix streaming offers. I wouldn't want to do without the disc side of things for some time to come.

kiguel182

Netflix is an amazing deal and the fact that someone has trouble paying the $8 - $10 a month for all that content available bothers me in the way that media is being devalued.

Does anything not bother you?

Sorry if people try to not spend to much money and have less than you. Is like you can't understand people have different ways to spend money.

Is the only right thing to you to spend the most you can instead of trying to find cheap alternatives?

Whatever, there's no point. But your attitude of "trying to pay less is wrong!" really bothers me. I guess I shouldn't buy things on sale either. Ugh.

Hell, Netflix says it's alright and allows for two profiles at the same time. It's part of their service.

Whatever.

Does anything not bother you?

Sorry if people try to not spend to much money and have less than you. Is like you can't understand people have different ways to spend money.

Is the only right thing to you to spend the most you can instead of trying to find cheap alternatives?

Whatever, there's no point. But your attitude of "trying to pay less is wrong!" really bothers me. I guess I shouldn't buy things on sale either. Ugh.

Hell, Netflix says it's alright and allows for two profiles at the same time. It's part of their service.

Whatever.

I get people not wanting to spend $100 a month on cable. $30 to $50 on a season of TV shows, $20 for a single movie, etc. I get buying things on sale too to get the best value. I'm not even against trying to get the best deal as I tried to advocate against using Amazon Prime's 20% off since GCU is a better deal. But at some point I feel that someone should at least pay something. Netflix's rate seems more than reasonable, especially compared to what everything else costs.

Their domestic growth was dissapointing it seems. Out of the 5.7 ?million new subsxrivers only around 1.5 Million were domestic (American ) which usually have the best margins. Despite the stock flying up, I think they didn't beat Wall Street expectations for domestic growth .( unless I heard the news wrong )

Galang

Banned
The original programming is a great way to solidify their position and only build their strength from this point on. Their own shows seem to be mostly great so far. Smart that they're actually using their profit to make their service more enticing with original content rather than just acquiring more of everyone else's content. I feel that's a key step many companies in power miss

eot

Banned
I tried out a friend's account for a bit every time I searched for a movie it wasn't there. Pretty disappointed tbh. Struggled to find anything to watch at all.

The original programming is a great way to solidify their position and only build their strength from this point on. Their own shows seem to be mostly great so far. Smart that they're actually using their profit to make their service more enticing with original content rather than just acquiring more of everyone else's content. I feel that's a key step many companies in power miss

They have to do this and it's good they are getting recognition for their titles and growing it. At some point it's going to be more just their content and less licensed content so that they're not at the mercy of the content providers. At some point they'll just be kind of their own channel though instead of this more wide range of content. It'll be curious to see when that cross over point is where they no longer have to license content and can survive on their own stuff.

I tried out a friend's account for a bit every time I searched for a movie it wasn't there. Pretty disappointed tbh. Struggled to find anything to watch at all.

In the US, Netflix isn't great for movies. Netflix shines when you're watching TV shows.

RDreamer

Man how cheap does someone have to be to do this?

They make it really fucking convenient. I know a few people that share, but mostly because at some point someone logged in for something and then they just didn't care or one party didn't need those extra connections. Roommates moved out and shit like that, and no one cares. I'm pretty sure a lot of them would get their own connection if they needed to.

Though it's kind of funny comparing this reaction to netflix sharing to threads about spotify and such where people refuse to pay and only want free. Some people really are cheap and don't actually want to spend that 10 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom