• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neverwinter |OT| Xbox One Edition

This seems really ugly, and kind of janky, but ultimately fun :).

EDIT: Really wish the framerate was better, this game can really chug at times.

zorbsie

You can trade astral diamonds for Zen. A key costs 125 Zen and I think you'll get 125 Zen by trading in 6000+ astral diamonds.

That's great to hear. I'll hang on to the lockboxes until I level up higher and get more astral diamonds. Good to hear that you can get that stuff with in game currency even if it will be a grind.

This seems really ugly, and kind of janky, but ultimately fun :).

EDIT: Really wish the framerate was better, this game can really chug at times.

i hope they fix it soon. i can't stand playing long without getting a headache but i already know the game is good. I don't want people to start leaving before getting to the good stuff.

Wait... can someone explain this pricing structure to me? Can i earn zen or acquire extra bag space through gameplay? Everything seems so insanely expensive.

Wait... can someone explain this pricing structure to me? Can i earn zen or acquire extra bag space through gameplay? Everything seems so insanely expensive.

It's been a while since I played on PC, and I'm just getting back into it on Xbox, so anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

Gold: earned by completing quests and killing enemies. non-tradeable, and used to buy your basic mounts, consumables like potions, dungeon tools (thievery kits, etc), and basic crafting items such as rock salt.
Astral Diamonds: Get them by praying to your god at a campfire once an hour (starting at level 11), participating in challenges in the questing areas, and some other ways I don't really remember right now. This is the currency the auction house uses. You can also trade these for Zen, and vice versa.
Zen: You buy this with real money, or trade Astral Diamonds for it. It's only used in the Zen shop (I think).

edit: Sorry, I completely forgot this info might be in the OP. In OT threads I usually check the OP and then fall into the trap of thinking of the thread as just a place to discuss the game.

It's been a while since I played on PC, and I'm just getting back into it on Xbox, so anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

Gold: earned by completing quests and killing enemies. non-tradeable, and used to buy your basic mounts, consumables like potions, dungeon tools (thievery kits, etc), and basic crafting items such as rock salt.
Astral Diamonds: Get them by praying to your god at a campfire once an hour (starting at level 11), participating in challenges in the questing areas, and some other ways I don't really remember right now. This is the currency the auction house uses. You can also trade these for Zen, and vice versa.
Zen: You buy this with real money, or trade Astral Diamonds for it. It's only used in the Zen shop (I think).

Zen to astral diamond exchange is only from player to player. So the price is gonna depend on the market

I might have to email their support or something because I don't have any companions or anything available for syncing my account.

Unless it takes a long time or something?

I did some digging for info on the currencies, and here's a full list of currencies listed under the "riches" area of your inventory.

Money: earned by completing quests and killing enemies. non-tradeable, and used to buy your basic mounts, consumables like potions, dungeon tools (thievery kits, etc), and basic crafting items such as rock salt.
Glory: PvP currency. Gain it through PvP, spend it on PvP gear.
Astral Diamonds: Get them by praying to your god at a campfire once an hour (starting at level 11), participating in challenges in the questing areas, and some other ways I don't really remember right now. This is the currency the auction house uses. You can also trade these for Zen, and vice versa. (The Zen exchange trades to other players, so price will fluctuate with the market)
Rough Astral Diamonds: When you gain Astral Diamonds, it's usually in this form. You can refine up to 24,000 a day into regular Astral Diamonds. (unless you buy Zen and trade for ADs). Refine them by going to your inventory, then to the Riches tab, then highlight Rough Astral Diamonds and hit A.
Ardent Coins: Gain 1 the first time you pray to your god each day. There's a special shop for spending these.
Celestial Coin: Gained daily by praying to your god for the first time each day (just like Ardent Coins), but they disappear if you don't keep stacking them up. So if you miss a day, you lose all you have. You can only hold 7.

Astral Diamonds, Rough Astral Diamonds, Ardent Coins, and Celestial Coins aren't really available until level 11. If you're just starting out and have none of these, that's why. If you're leveling slow and not playing much, you may want to at least get to 11 so you can start building these currencies up.

edit: Sorry, I completely forgot this info might be in the OP. In OT threads I usually check the OP and then fall into the trap of thinking of the thread as just a place to discuss the game.

Oh thank you Felshfeast! Sorry though, i read that through the OP, what i meant was does it seriously cost like $65 to play a dragonborn if i want to play it for my first character etc. etc. Everything just seems way too costly.

Zen to astral diamond exchange is only from player to player. So the price is gonna depend on the market

Good to know :)

Ashodin

Since you guys are starting new with a fresh economy, DON'T buy anything with astral diamonds off the trading post. Prices should be inflated compared to PC.

Oh thank you Felshfeast! Sorry though, i read that through the OP, what i meant was does it seriously cost like $65 to play a dragonborn if i want to play it for my first character etc. etc. Everything just seems way too costly

Yea, you probably want to give up on the Dragonborn race unless you're willing to wait a long time to get the Astral Diamonds, or just buy it with real money. The Dragonborn Legend Pack is 7,500 Zen. Based on current prices (381 AD per Zen, which will fluctuate), it would take 2.8 million Astral Diamonds to get that much Zen. You can only refine 24,000 diamonds a day, so you're looking at 119 days just to refine that many rough diamonds in to regular ones, assuming you can earn 24,000 or more each day.

Yea, you probably want to give up on the Dragonborn race unless you're willing to wait a long time to get the Astral Diamonds, or just buy it with real money. The Dragonborn Legend Pack is 7,500 Zen. Based on current prices (381 AD per Zen, which will fluctuate), it would take 2.8 million Astral Diamonds to get that much Zen. You can only refine 24,000 diamonds a day, so you're looking at 119 days just to refine that many rough diamonds in to regular ones, assuming you can earn 24,000 or more each day.

Yikes, thanks for the excellent information.

Saw a guy with a cat (companion I guess) how do I get that one? How much does it cost? Halp!

The cat costs 833,000 ADs and is sold by the Emporium Vendor, under the exotic companions tab. He's in a building in Protector's Enclave that's listed on the map as Grand Emporium. The building has blue striped banners, with a yellow shield adorned by a black lion.

You can get a dog (or one of a few humanoids) from a level 16 quest that teaches you about companions, you you have to buy the cat.

How are those who played this PC liking it on X1? I played it on PC before and didnt stick with it very long - thinking I might with X1 though chill'n from the couch and all.

Ugh. I really want to play as a Dragonborn, but the price... Guess I'll keep going as a drow for now, at least until that goes on sale.

Karak

How are those who played this PC liking it on X1? I played it on PC before and didnt stick with it very long - thinking I might with X1 though chill'n from the couch and all.

Honestly I am loving it. Despite the drop in res, the FPS hit in the city it feels VERY good. I did my typical review in progress for this.
Review in Progress

Pros
Gameplay is fantastic in battle
Sound
A ton of content for free

Cons:
They could have dropped many of the damn currencies for this version without causing an issue and it would have been so much slicker
Also the quests are just poorly written and boring.

That being said it plays perfectly.

The one thing I'm really missing from the PC version is the player created content. It added a bit more variety to the leveling, and IIRC it was a source of Astral Diamonds via the daily quest to do a Foundry mission.

statham

Maintenance tomorrow, more servers.
Neverwinter Scheduled Maintenance - 4/2 9 AM PDT (Pacific)

Our clerics are preparing our maintenance cleansing for 9AM PDT on 4/2. Estimated casting time is 2 hours.

Please note that tomorrow's PC and Xbox maintenances will be done separately with no overlap of downtimes.

Let's have some fun this week! What was the class was your first character in Neverwinter Xbox? Post your answer below!

~Patch notes~

Server Capacity increased
- We are adding more hardware to our servers so we can support even more people who want to play!

Login
- Resolved an issue where a small amount of users were failing to login with account related errors.

Supported Languages
- Resolved an issue that prevented users who ran the game in an unsupported region from launching the game. These users can now be able to launch the game and play in the default language (English).

The cat costs 833,000 ADs and is sold by the Emporium Vendor, under the exotic companions tab. He's in a building in Protector's Enclave that's listed on the map as Grand Emporium. The building has blue striped banners, with a yellow shield adorned by a black lion.

You can get a dog (or one of a few humanoids) from a level 16 quest that teaches you about companions, you you have to buy the cat.
thanks. I have just started the game, how difficult or how much time do I need to get the cat ?
Ok, costs a lot.

BTM

First time really playing an MMORPG and am really enjoying it so far. Will take some time to figure everything out but it's been fun so far.

statham

is there somewhere you can find a list of quests to do? I've done the ones by the main guy and he has no more for me.

zorbsie

I just hit level 15, and I'll be online tomorrow evening from 6 - 9pm CT if you guys need help forming the guild.

GT is Jellycrackers

Nice! Just hit 15 myself tonight too. We'll have to set something up with a few others.

Really enjoying the game. And I keep going to the zen store to see what pack I want to buy. Heirloom seems like the one.

is there somewhere you can find a list of quests to do? I've done the ones by the main guy and he has no more for me.
I want to say that the map will point out mission givers.

RyudBoy

What resolution is this natively running on the X1?

It looks like 900p with FXAA though I could be wrong. The image looks blurry, and you can see some pixel crawl at certain areas like when you cross wooden bridges.

Despite the atrocious frame rate at times, the game is pretty fun. Kinda reminds me of Lineage 2.

statham

Nice! Just hit 15 myself tonight too. We'll have to set something up with a few others.

Really enjoying the game. And I keep going to the zen store to see what pack I want to buy. Heirloom seems like the one.

I want to say that the map will point out mission givers.

It just shows me locations, I thought I saw something earlier, but can't find it now.

edit: I did 'change instance' and its showing them again, must've been a bug/glitch
edit 2: it actually just says upcoming quests, but none I can do right now besides the 'blacklake terror skirmish' I was hoping to solo a little longer before I partied up.

statham

Okay, I've completed the skirmish and still have no new missions, level 13, what am I supposed to do? It says I have 2 upcoming missions, but when I goto them, they have nothing for me.

TheKeyPit

Banned
We get Celestial Coins by invoking every 24 hours, right? Does this time-limit start when I invoked the first time or does this depend on a specific server time?

Okay, I've completed the skirmish and still have no new missions, level 13, what am I supposed to do? It says I have 2 upcoming missions, but when I goto them, they have nothing for me.

Are you still in Blacklake District? When I finished all my quests there, I got a quest (I think from General Knox in the main town) that sent me to Tower District. If you still haven't been there, and Knox doesn't have the quest, try going to Tower District and see if there's quests there. I'm 13 and have been questing in Tower District for a bit now.

We get Celestial Coins by invoking every 24 hours, right? Does this time-limit start when I invoked the first time or does this depend on a specific server time?

I noticed the daily quest to get a dungeon key starts a timer when you do it. So that particular thing is based on when you did it. For Celestial Coils it says "Invoke again within 1 day 5 hours", which sounds like it's based on when you did it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that's how it works.

edit: I just got my coins and Astral Diamonds from invoking, and I'm pretty sure I did it around this time last time as well. So either it just reset, or it's based on when you did it.

Enjoying this but, as an MMO noob, I can't get my head around the currency system at all.

Granted, last night I was playing for the first time and just levelling up rather than jumping into the meat of the game, but even when I was selling items (mostly to free up inventory space) the silver and copper coin totals seemed to jump around at random. And I've discovered two other forms of currency since then. And have a lockbox thing I can't open unless I have a specific currency or buy it from Xbox Store or something.

I'm happy enough exploring the world and getting stuck into the combat system but as someone who is genuinely a moron when it comes to MMOs, my god, the currency system is confusing the hell out of me.

Hellers

I am already in Blacklake, so I don't think that's it.

You need to go to the claim vendor near the guy you got the peasant clothes from. If he doesn't have your companion you're not linked properly. Raise a support ticket and they'll reset your link status so you can do it again.

A lot of us ended up with broken links on day one. Mine got reset and fixed last night.

Hellers

Enjoying this but, as an MMO noob, I can't get my head around the currency system at all.

Granted, last night I was playing for the first time and just levelling up rather than jumping into the meat of the game, but even when I was selling items (mostly to free up inventory space) the silver and copper coin totals seemed to jump around at random. And I've discovered two other forms of currency since then. And have a lockbox thing I can't open unless I have a specific currency or buy it from Xbox Store or something.

I'm happy enough exploring the world and getting stuck into the combat system but as someone who is genuinely a moron when it comes to MMOs, my god, the currency system is confusing the hell out of me.

Like most mmos it has multiple currency

Gold. In game. Used to buy regular crap. Sell your junk to the vendor to earn this
Astral diamonds - Earned in game for different things. Can be used to buy a variety of items and convert to zen
Zen - Cash store currency. Used to buy the good shit
Seals - Ignore these for now. In the orc zone you can start earning these but it's part of the grind you don't need to worry about just now.

And then it gets more confusing when you start praying to the gods and get daily currency that expires :)

Like most mmos it has multiple currency

See, this is my problem - new to the genre! Played a lot of DCUO but I don't remember that having multiple currencies. Or maybe it did but I just got used to it!

I'll get stuck into this properly tonight and try to learn everything

TheKeyPit

Banned
I noticed the daily quest to get a dungeon key starts a timer when you do it. So that particular thing is based on when you did it. For Celestial Coils it says "Invoke again within 1 day 5 hours", which sounds like it's based on when you did it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that's how it works.

edit: I just got my coins and Astral Diamonds from invoking, and I'm pretty sure I did it around this time last time as well. So either it just reset, or it's based on when you did it.

Thanks for the info. It would be great to have a timer for that to see how many hours are left.

rpcdrag0n

Lvl 10 ranger here, looking for friends online or a Gaf guild :)

Add me please - rpcdrag0n

Usually on from 10pm BST (UK time)

Question: Is the questing in this game more single-player focused or in groups? If in groups, how is the social stuff handled? Obvious there aren't a lot (if any) chats going on with keyboards, and judging from how other games have handled voice chat in the past on consoles I'm a bit concerned that communicating with other players might be the biggest hamstring.

Basically: Can you talk via voice chat with nearby players? Can you talk via voice chat with a guild? (This was one of the very FEW things that Defiance got sorta-right toward the tail end the last time I played it.) When forming parties do you have to use the XB1 party app or is there an in-game functionality that also links you up with party members for voice chat? What's the max party size for dungeons and is the population currently supporting it much?

My last MMO was WoW which I quit in 2005 or 2006, so before I dive back into one I wanna make sure it's worth the hassle.

Stevey

Picked this up through smart glass, will try it when I get in from work.
Add me if you like, GT: Original Bstard
I'm in the UK

Top Bottom