• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neverwinter |OT| Xbox One Edition

gossi

Question: Is the questing in this game more single-player focused or in groups? If in groups, how is the social stuff handled? Obvious there aren't a lot (if any) chats going on with keyboards, and judging from how other games have handled voice chat in the past on consoles I'm a bit concerned that communicating with other players might be the biggest hamstring.

Basically: Can you talk via voice chat with nearby players? Can you talk via voice chat with a guild? When forming parties do you have to use the XB1 party app or is there an in-game functionality that also links you up with party members for voice chat? What's the max party size for dungeons and is the population currently supporting it much?

My last MMO was WoW which I quit in 2005 or 2006, so before I dive back into one I wanna make sure it's worth the hassle.

It's not handled well. If you play with the options there's a section called Queues, which is basically a lfg tool. However nowhere does it tell you to use this, or explain what it is if you use it. There's also no nearby voice chat. My experience with groups is everybody runs off.

Elder Scrolls Online on console (comes out first week of June) does include full in game grouping tools and locational voice chat.

zorbsie

Okay, I've completed the skirmish and still have no new missions, level 13, what am I supposed to do? It says I have 2 upcoming missions, but when I goto them, they have nothing for me.
Did you ever get this figured out? Did you check your journal? I wonder if there is a mission there that didn't pop up for some odd reason.

rpcdrag0n
Stevey
Added you two. Here is the players list for the new page.

Got up to level 13 and got to play with Iceman yesterday. Really liking the combat as a Control Wizard. Just need to decide if I want to make a Great Fighter or keep grinding on my CW today.

Most of the prices are definitely crazy unless I'm misunderstanding things though. Was interested in dropping money to unlock the dragonborn and another slot, but only saw the 7,500 Zen pack ($75?!!). Do they seriously not have a cheaper option without all the extra stuff that comes with?

Iceman829

Got up to level 13 and got to play with Iceman yesterday. Really liking the combat as a Control Wizard. Just need to decide if I want to make a Great Fighter or keep grinding on my CW today.

Most of the prices are definitely crazy unless I'm misunderstanding things though. Was interested in dropping money to unlock the dragonborn and another slot, but only saw the 7,500 Zen pack ($75?!!). Do they seriously not have a cheaper option without all the extra stuff that comes with?

When I logged in yesterday they showed me an option for a 2500 zen dragonborne and race reroll package. No clue where it is normally found. If you want to group up again tonight we can continue with the quests and run the dungeon a few times to get some loot.

zorbsie

When I logged in yesterday they showed me an option for a 2500 zen dragonborne and race reroll package. No clue where it is normally found. If you want to group up again tonight we can continue with the quests and run the dungeon a few times to get some loot.

I also got a loot that was a 20% discount off an item in the Zen store. I can't remember what it was, but it was a timed offer.

Iceman829

I also got a loot that was a 20% discount off an item in the Zen store. I can't remember what it was, but it was a timed offer.

Yea we got something like that last night, but it was like 20% off profession something for 1 hour. We thought we had to activate the thing, but it disappeared since it activated when it dropped into our inventories.

I looked for it and couldn't find it. Shit's not organized that well in the store though so I could have missed it. Definitely want to try the dungeon tonight as long as the GF isn't taking up the TV (Hurry up Win10 streaming!).

Iceman829

I looked for it and couldn't find it. Shit's not organized that well in the store though so I could have missed it. Definitely want to try the dungeon tonight as long as the GF isn't taking up the TV (Hurry up Win10 streaming!).

Yea it's terrible finding things and they do a bad job hyping the items. If you can't get on later I'm sure I'll be around friday as well if you are looking to group up.

Yes that was it. Must be something everyone get at a specific point.

If I'm remembering correctly it was around lvl 10 when you unlock professions that they gift it to you. It might've even been included in the lvl 10 lockbox that you get to open ever 5 levels.

It's not handled well. If you play with the options there's a section called Queues, which is basically a lfg tool. However nowhere does it tell you to use this, or explain what it is if you use it. There's also no nearby voice chat. My experience with groups is everybody runs off.

Elder Scrolls Online on console (comes out first week of June) does include full in game grouping tools and locational voice chat.

But... free is free.

Edit: I will say though that the ability to easily communicate and group with other players is essential in MMOs.

PhatSaqs

Banned
As my first MMORPG, this game is pretty damn engrossing. Theres a metric shitton of things to do. A little overwhelming but the game holds your hand enough to explain it in its own way (quests) which you can easily miss out on by tackling another string of quests which I did up to level 15. Combat is kinda meh but serviceable I guess.

How does ESO compare to this?

Karak

As my first MMORPG, this game is pretty damn engrossing. Theres a metric shitton of things to do. A little overwhelming but the game holds your hand enough to explain it in its own way (quests) which you can easily miss out on by tackling another string of quests which I did up to level 15. Combat is kinda meh but serviceable I guess.

I am a rare bird in that I liked ESO but I like it for exploring because the combat isn't as good as Neverwinter. Here is the thing though. They are free. So my advice is to check out free games as often as possible.

Iceman829

I'm thinking of purchasing the heirloom box for 2000zen ($20). It gives you a 24 slot bag, a box that gives you blue items and gear every 5 levels and a mercenary companion. It's also for every character that you create on your account.

Ooccoo

It's really weird because I designed a game (on paper) that uses Zen as a currency. I had changed it recently to something else but it's always odd to see your ideas used in real games. Must be a sign that some of my stuff isn't too bad :)

Iceman829

Ah ok cool. Surprised they don't have some notification of it on the main title screen.

That would be useful. I wouldn't have know about it either if statham didn't post it last night. The good news is they are adding additional servers which should help with the influx of new players. It's nice to see they are addressing issues as they arise.

gossi

I have 420 hours clocked on ESO now on PC. I play with Xbox controller using an addon, and have the Xbox One UI enabled (there's a debug command).

I'm rare in that I played it (it has a lot of haters who haven't). You can play the whole thing in first person. The Xbox controls are similar to Skyrim, and the UI is very similar (even down to the same fonts and design). You can solo a vast majority of the content, and it contains great main quest, Mages Guild and Fighters Guilds questlines, all of which are solo only. In terms of content after 400+ hours I've only recently passed the half way mark with non-grouped content - it's huge, geographically it's bigger than Skyrim, Morrowind and Cyrodiil (Oblivion) combined. You can visit places around Morrowind, Skyrim etc. There is also Cyrodiil war zone, where players fight for control of forts and scrolls - that means thousands of players in open battle, it's unlike any other game I've played.

Downsides: gamers hate it so you will be looked down on. It's not free to play, you have to buy the game (no subscription fee though). It's had some serious bug fixing and reworking over last year - in fact in terms of patch sizes, the entire game download has been replaced this year!

Neverwinter I also play and enjoy. It's very budget compared to ESO though. For example, ESO is full voice acted for every character. Also many of the voices are famous - John Cleese etc.

Is Zen the only way to purchase Bag slots in this game? No backpack items like WoW?

They exist. I got a knapsack quest reward that gave me 18 or so extra slots from one of the early missions in the Nasher town. Not sure how often that happens though.

EDIT: Beeeaten.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I have 420 hours clocked on ESO now on PC. I play with Xbox controller using an addon, and have the Xbox One UI enabled (there's a debug command).

I'm rare in that I played it (it has a lot of haters who haven't). You can play the whole thing in first person. The Xbox controls are similar to Skyrim, and the UI is very similar (even down to the same fonts and design). You can solo a vast majority of the content, and it contains great main quest, Mages Guild and Fighters Guilds questlines, all of which are solo only. In terms of content after 400+ hours I've only recently passed the half way mark with non-grouped content - it's huge, geographically it's bigger than Skyrim, Morrowind and Cyrodiil (Oblivion) combined. You can visit places around Morrowind, Skyrim etc. There is also Cyrodiil war zone, where players fight for control of forts and scrolls - that means thousands of players in open battle, it's unlike any other game I've played.

Downsides: gamers hate it so you will be looked down on. It's not free to play, you have to buy the game (no subscription fee though). It's had some serious bug fixing and reworking over last year - in fact in terms of patch sizes, the entire game download has been replaced this year!

Neverwinter I also play and enjoy. It's very budget compared to ESO though. For example, ESO is full voice acted for every character. Also many of the voices are famous - John Cleese etc.
Thanks for this. Much appreciated.

zorbsie

Few people were asking about a shared chest for all your characters. I found a bank in the Protected Enclave that has 16 slots for personal bank and 8 slots for shared account bank. You can buy more slots with Zen. It's just west of the main marketplace. Funny how the game never really tells you about it.

Obscured

Dumb questions.

Is the only way to open a Tyrannical lockbox by buying enchanted keys for Zen (real monies)?

I was playing last night and clicked some combination of buttons where my ranger stopped using his bow and started using melee weapons. I couldn't figure out what I did or how to switch back. After running through a quest with a random group (I accidently hit a trying to pick up a crate and joined two other guys and then just stuck with them for a half hour) it switched back after we completed, but I have no idea why.

zorbsie

Dumb questions.

Is the only way to open a Tyrannical lockbox by buying enchanted keys for Zen (real monies)?

I was playing last night and clicked some combination of buttons where my ranger stopped using his bow and started using melee weapons. I couldn't figure out what I did or how to switch back. After running through a quest with a random group (I accidently hit a trying to pick up a crate and joined two other guys and then just stuck with them for a half hour) it switched back after we completed, but I have no idea why.

My understanding is yes Zen is the only way to get those keys. But you can use astral diamonds to trade for zen. It's users buying the diamonds so the ratio will vary. Right now it's 1 zen for about 375 diamonds.

Special C

Toggling Guard on and off is very annoying for a Guardian. Is there no option for holding the button to keep it on? Maybe at higher levels in dungeons I'll want to be able to toggle it but right now it sucks.

Kind of OT, but playing this game really makes me wish Tera would get released on consoles. It's also making me kind of nostalgic for Cryptic's Champions Online. They should put that on consoles too.

Hellers

I'm thinking of purchasing the heirloom box for 2000zen ($20). It gives you a 24 slot bag, a box that gives you blue items and gear every 5 levels and a mercenary companion. It's also for every character that you create on your account.

The bag is just for one character. The rest of for all of them

statham

Did you ever get this figured out? Did you check your journal? I wonder if there is a mission there that didn't pop up for some odd reason.

rpcdrag0n
Stevey
Added you two. Here is the players list for the new page.

Nope, they got back to me and said I should have active quests marked on the map with a yellow checkmark, but I have nothing but alot of green x, I'm going to level up and see if anything happens.

edit: leveling up gave me 2 more quests from Knox,.

Ricker

Dont worry about the zen stuff guys...you dont need any of that to have fun and make a good character,if you play him just right...its completly optional for 99% of the game and there is nothing you cant do or become without getting stuff from Zen...

Of course,you can buy a 20 dollar pack or something,like I did last year,just because I figured,hey this game is pretty cool and it's completly free,why not send a little bit of money their way...all up to you guys but I figured 20 bucks was money well spent considering... ;) :p

If I had a X1 I would jump back in for sure.

Bizzquik

Thanks for sharing.

I think a lot of us in this thread are first-time MMORPG players. So we ask ourselves: do we play Neverwinter now - because its free - or do we just hold on a little longer and get the (supposedly) more polished Elder Scrolls Online in two months (though its Buy-to-Play)? The thing about ESO is that its obviously using lore that many of us know - most here played Skyrim, for example.

--Tangent--
You mentioned that you use an Xbox 360 controller, via add-on. Can I ask...is it "Stratejacket Controller Support" ...?
http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info77-StratejacketControllerSupport.html

I own ESO on Steam but have never played it. I kept waiting for native controller support, but recently the team said that the PC release wouldn't see native controller support until after the console releases. The Stratejacket release looks really thorough and impressive. And we know ESO allows you to transfer your PC character to XB1/PS4. So I've been debating the merits of diving into ESO now and using the add-on to get controller support....or just wait two months and get the full console experience from the start.

Is the add-on (and UI) easy to install? Does it work well, or do you feel there are significant compromises that had to be made to get it to work smoothly?

Thanks again. :)

gossi

Thanks for sharing.

I think a lot of us in this thread are first-time MMORPG players. So we ask ourselves: do we play Neverwinter now - because its free - or do we just hold on a little longer and get the (supposedly) more polished Elder Scrolls Online in two months (though its Buy-to-Play)? The thing about ESO is that its obviously using lore that many of us know - most here played Skyrim, for example.

--Tangent--
You mentioned that you use an Xbox 360 controller, via add-on. Can I ask...is it "Stratejacket Controller Support" ...?
http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info77-StratejacketControllerSupport.html

I own ESO on Steam but have never played it. I kept waiting for native controller support, but recently the team said that the PC release wouldn't see native controller support until after the console releases. The Stratejacket release looks really thorough and impressive. And we know ESO allows you to transfer your PC character to XB1/PS4. So I've been debating the merits of diving into ESO now and using the add-on to get controller support....or just wait two months and get the full console experience from the start.

Is the add-on (and UI) easy to install? Does it work well, or do you feel there are significant compromises that had to be made to get it to work smoothly?

Thanks again. :)

Hi hi. It's all a matter of personal preference basically. ESO was my first MMO. I think it's systems will work better on console than Neverwinter, as ESO was always designed with console in mind.

For example, the ESO UI is minimal, there's no random numbers appearing on screen for damage etc, and there's only 5 skills (which maps to XB1 controller perfectly). In Neverwinter there's so many skills you have to do things like hold down a bumper and press right D pad to do a basic combat move.

The biggest first negatives I noticed in ESO, for me, was that bow aim to complete auto aim - you barely even need to look in the same direction as enemies - and that totally took me out of the game at first. And the quality of animation of NPCs does not match that of Skyrim (or Oblivion). But these qualities are common across all MMOs, it's the trade off for the game type.

I think Neverwinter benefits from having much more variety in races and classes than ESO.

ESO benefits from, frankly, Elder Scrolls. The minute you finish the tutorial you can sneak around pick pocketing people and breaking into their houses while they work. You can run out into the mountains of Morrowind or into the jungles of the Khajiits. You can journey to the home of the Wood Elves and visit the headquarters of the racist power hungry Thalmor. You can go to Cyrodiil and play with hundreds of people battling over one fort (as I write this I just wrapped up a fort battle that involved thousands and went on for FOUR HOURS). It's set 800 years before Skyrim, and those forts are the destroyed ones you ultimately see in Oblivion.

In other words, I think ESO is great when it works, and it's a shame the gaming community hates it.

I think Neverwinter is worth a casual play, as it will introduce you to MMO concepts. I actually wish I had played it before ESO, as it would have made ESO seem more magical in systems. First person view alone is a leap forward, let alone the fucking huge game world etc.

TimeLike

I'm level 14 and only now figured out I can jump. I saw other people doing it, but thought my class didn't have it because none of the face buttons jump. I accidentally pressed the right combo and jumped. I'm so excited and am now that guy jumping everywhere!!

statham

kinda got my situation working, new quests are showing, other quests that weren't now trigger if I goto them, before they didn't. reinstalling seemed to help.

Kadin

Bought the Heirloom Pack for 2k Zen. Cost me $20. Figured I'd invest a little money to help support the game plus the blue gear every 5 levels and extra bag, along with an extra character slot all seem worth it to me. The strong companion doesn't hurt either, lol.

Really enjoying the game. First character was a Scourge Warlock but I just made a Devoted Cleric and really like this class so far. Always liked the heal classes in other games so this might be my fav.

Cipher

Has anyone been able to get into the Cloak Tower dungeon? Every time I've tried I've been forever waiting in the queue.

CeeSaw

Hey everyone, have been playing a bit lately and MMO's seem pretty lonely by yourself. If anyone is looking for a Tanky Devil Man (Level 7 ATM) let me know. GT is Cee5aw

Top Bottom