• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fable vid - get drunk and puke

IJoel

Everytime I see a video of Fable, I want to slaughter everyone on the hero's path.

I can tell I will be evil as Satan himself.

digit

That's the problem with open-ended games like this. It's always easier and more fun to be evil than to be good. You can go around killing everyone in your way, steal money, take over people's property, etc. That's a lot easier than being nice and obeying the rules. But I hope the games doesn't just devolve into an evil/crime simulator like GTA. I actually want to try playing as a good character. And I want the game to offer some compelling rewards for being good.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
KOTOR proved that it can be hard to be evil, if its dont right the game should be able to make you feel like a real git for some things (Chosing the evil action in KOTOR was gut wrenching at times)

IJoel

digit said:
That's the problem with open-ended games like this. It's always easier and more fun to be evil than to be good. You can go around killing everyone in your way, steal money, take over people's property, etc. That's a lot easier than being nice and obeying the rules. But I hope the games doesn't just devolve into an evil/crime simulator like GTA. I actually want to try playing as a good character. And I want the game to offer some compelling rewards for being good.

I don't really agree with that. The best example I can give is SW: KotOR. Being evil in SW: KotOR isn't hard, but the thing is that you have to be so downright mean, that if the game provides a good feedback mechanism (which is something Fable will most likely be good at) you will feel really bad about doing truly evil actions. It all depends on the immersion/feedback factor of the game.

The best opposite example I can provide to this is Morrowind, which lacked a good feedback mechanism.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Well, it doesn't sound like it will be THAT easy to be that evil. Town guards enforce the law, people get pissed even if you break a barrel (it is their property after all), and you can be kicked out of towns altogether if you're particularly nasty in front of a guard. So it's not like it will be the easiest thing in the world to just stroll now Main Street swinging your sword at will. You can do it, but you'll pay the price.

And yeah, KOTOR usually did make you feel like an ass for being evil...but you were being an ass, so it's all good.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ya there are serious repurcutions for being Evil in fable, you can't walk around and slaughter, rape, pillage, and otherwise be a jackass without having the town guards kicking you in the nuts.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
KOTOR did this really well.

I played it through as Light the first time, and I'm now trying to complete it on Dark. I say "trying" because the truly reprehensible actions you must take in order to maximize Dark Force points honestly make me feel bad about what I'm doing. The dialogue and overall design is very well done, and I hope Fable will bring something similar to the table.

SyNapSe

bishoptl said:
KOTOR did this really well.

I played it through as Light the first time, and I'm now trying to complete it on Dark. I say "trying" because the truly reprehensible actions you must take in order to maximize Dark Force points honestly make me feel bad about what I'm doing. The dialogue and overall design is very well done, and I hope Fable will bring something similar to the table.

I wanted to walk the path of Dark for the lightning, but I just couldn't do it. I made a couple of dark decisions, but most of the rest were light.. it was just so hard. :(

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
That video rocked, lol @ the npc's reaction.

This game has me so hyped up, september 14th seems so so far away :(

Matt

Schafer said:
Ya there are serious repurcutions for being Evil in fable, you can't walk around and slaughter, rape, pillage, and otherwise be a jackass without having the town guards kicking you in the nuts.
Wait wait wait...you can rape?

I reached maximum evil by my second planet (at the end of Dantooine) in KOTOR. It took me alot longer to reach maximum light IIRC.

I guess I'm an evil bastard. :(

Coop

I doubt it, they took out children killing because they thought it would bring too much controversy .

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
You can still hit the children, they wont die though. Slapping a kid's face with his father's head is plenty enough for me :)

PhatSaqs

Banned
As much in i'm anticipating this game, I'm seeing a ton of "I'm disappointed" type posts on messageboards in my crystal ball.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Lukas said:

It seems to have a lot of interesting points, but hasn't shown (and I believe will lack) any real meat. Plus, look who its coming from. That guy whose name I can't spell hasn't shown me he can design a game that perks my interest and delivers, so why bother again?

PhatSaqs

Banned
For me, it has much less to do with (ahem) personal agendas and more to do with what i've been told from a cool cat (negative) about the games overall structure. i.e. story, world interactiston and such. I still cant wait to get my hands on it regardless.

Lukas

Banned
my magic 8 ball predicts haters will eat their words and look for things to nitpick on

this will be the greatest gaming experience since Zelda OOT IMO

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Lukas said:
my magic 8 ball predicts haters will eat their words and look for things to nitpick on

this will be the greatest gaming experience since Zelda OOT IMO

It just seems to lack structure, which is something I personally enjoy in games.
Too much freedom hurts a game in my opinion.
There's nothing I'm going to eat, it just never had, nor was designed to include things I enjoy in my RPGs.

Lukas

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
It just seems to lack structure, which is something I personally enjoy in games.
Too much freedom hurts a game in my opinion.
There's nothing I'm going to eat, it just never had, nor was designed to include things I enjoy in my RPGs.

it lacks structure huh? you would obviously know since you had extensive time playing it correct? GTA was obviously hurt by too much freedom too, such pathetic scores and sales.

and in response to your stupid statement about it having a lack of structure - "But Fable has more structure than GTA or Morrowind making for an open game that won't take you so far from shore you can never find the main story."

source -http://xbox.ign.com/articles/537/537930p1.html

so go on haters and doubters, keep hating and doubting, you will eat your words on September 14.

Lukas

Banned
dont you guys love it when people assume things about a game that they never played only to have their foot put in their mouth ?

Lukas

Banned
lol Fable has no real meat huh? Tell me, does having 4 different types of endings based on how you played and what you did at the end, and then being able to continue playing in the world sound like no meat?

I don't know, just doesn't seem that exciting to me. So far all this supposed freedom seems to amount to killing people and taking over their property.

Lukas

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
I don't know, just doesn't seem that exciting to me. So far all this supposed freedom seems to amount to killing people and taking over their property.

you clearly know nothing of this game then

Lukas said:

I know plenty, I just don't swallow then regurgitate every little bit of PR like some vacant eyed puppy.

And I wasn't aware that we counted the quality of the gameplay by the number of endings.

I'm a little skeptical about the quality of this game. I like open ended gameplay but I like my RPGs a little more serious side i.e. No farting...or playing soccer with decapitated heads. That kind of thing is funny maybe one time.

Although somehow the silliness in GTA never got old. I think it had to do with the high speed chases through city streets always put you in a fresh movie-like scenario.

I'll probably end up getting it, but I'm waiting for reviews first.

Lukas

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
I know plenty, I just don't swallow then regurgitate every little bit of PR like some vacant eyed puppy.

And I wasn't aware that we counted the quality of the gameplay by the number of endings.

i didnt know previews from kilizo and ign were PR

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Lukas said:

I think the anxiety is, he might know everything about it already. And it's a valid concern.

This was an ambitious project that has taken steps back throughout development. People expecting something insanely deep, beyond the features already covered in extensive previews, might be disappointed.

If there's as much innovation and content in the rest of the game, like what was shown in that two hour media playtest, then we're all in for a treat. Let's just hope it wasn't a repeat of "the worm in the apple" misrepresentation.

RevenantKioku

it lacks structure huh? you would obviously know since you had extensive time playing it correct? GTA was obviously hurt by too much freedom too, such pathetic scores and sales.

I said "seems". Try reading my words.
Again, I never said it was bad game play feature, its just not something I enjoy. In my mind GTA was hurt by that, because I got tired of it after a few hours. Scores and sales mean nothing to my enjoyment.

and in response to your stupid statement about it having a lack of structure - "But Fable has more structure than GTA or Morrowind making for an open game that won't take you so far from shore you can never find the main story."

source -http://xbox.ign.com/articles/537/537930p1.html

Big deal, IGN says it has more. That doesn't mean it has to appeal to me, nor does it mean that it has the structure I want in the games.

so go on haters and doubters, keep hating and doubting, you will eat your words on September 14.

Maybe I will, I doubt it though. I just don't think it will be the second coming of the gaming christ like some hype it up to be.

Game looks great to me. I'm not sure how anyone can say it lacks structure as there are clearly defined quests and goals in the game. It's not linear and pushing you towards the ending of the game though. So perhaps that is what they mean.

Phoenix

Wow.... consoles AND games have fanboys. Do people get a cut from the proceeds of this game or something?

Phoenix said:
Wow.... consoles AND games have fanboys. Do people get a cut from the proceeds of this game or something?

See, I'm actually quite looking forward to Fable, it's just funny to see someone desparate to defend it. So I exagerated any concerns I may have had.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Die Squirrel Die said:
See, I'm actually quite looking forward to Fable, it's just funny to see someone desparate to defend it. So I exagerated any concerns I may have had.

So, you provoked hyper-defensive fable fans because it's "funny"? And to think, you JUST posted in sporks' troll warparth thread.

Goreomedy said:
So, you provoked hyper-defensive fable fans because it's "funny"? And to think, you JUST posted in sporks' troll warparth thread.

Yep, pretty much. I even called him a puppy. Sometimes I can't live with myself.

Top Bottom