• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Trup1aya

Visor screen border and HUD come back before the camera pushes past your player model. 4/10

I noticed this a few weeks ago when they first started showing the blue team level... I was hoping it would be fixed, but it's such a minor thing...

I mean we did just get to see a thruster pack powered curb stomp, I think we can forgive a less than perfect transition.

Halo2 is easily and by far the worst halo campaign out there. Not even close. You lost buddy.

Which also honestly surprises me that they went the halo2 route with the character switching on 5.

I think the complete opposite. In terms of story, halo 2 is the best campaign. In terms of gameplay, I would say halo CE and Halo 3 are at the top.

Frankie.. quick lore question.. with Escalation issue 23 coming out the day after Halo 5.. should I wait to read it until I beat Halo 5 or does it not really matter either way?

Figure the release date had to be pushed back past the game release for a reason, right?

Lothars

Halo2 is easily and by far the worst halo campaign out there. Not even close. You lost buddy.

Which also honestly surprises me that they went the halo2 route with the character switching on 5.
Agreed, I feel the same way.

I think the complete opposite. In terms of story, halo 2 is the best campaign. In terms of gameplay, I would say halo CE and Halo 3 are at the top.
I think Halo 2 is the worst Halo game ever made, The story is bad, the gameplay is okay and the game is just blah.

Im not talking about story, im taking about gameplay and to me, 2 is terrible. I started it again this weekend, as soon as i hit the Arbiter level, i lost interest. I had to start "forcing" myself to play through it. Level design is just bad, areas are not interesting to explore at all, even when you have a vehicle you feel like your being forced down this one small path forward. Just terrible gameplay. It took everything CE did well, and threw it out the fucking window.

Thank god for that MP cause or else, this game would have been a disaster.

ShogunX

Just seen a cutscene midway through mission 2 and hot fucking damn that's enough for me. The campaign is shaping up to be something special.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
After playing through the MCC the last 2 months and beating all the games on Legendary solo I will say that Halo 3 has a good story, but not the best. I feel it is lacking, but not terrible. If we are talking about gameplay I think it is almost last for me now. I hate the equipment, and the controller scheme just ruins it for me. So list time for each.

Story: Reach>ODST>Halo CE>Halo4>Halo3>Halo2

Gameplay:Halo CE>Halo2>Halo4>ODST>Reach>Halo3

The reason I list Halo 3 last if mostly because of the controller scheme and the equipment, which I hate. The Elite controller that I should have in 10 days should fix this issue. Once I can make B always Melee and X always reload I will be fine.

Kurumi

dcedf16fc31ba0c7d65eca8f87102df1960a6403c8f8a1a11f6c1010c898f622.jpg

After playing through the MCC the last 2 months and beating all the games on Legendary solo I will say that Halo 3 has a good story, but not the best. I feel it is lacking, but not terrible. If we are talking about gameplay I think it is almost last for me now. I hate the equipment, and the controller scheme just ruins it for me. So list time for each.

The reason I list Halo 3 last if mostly because of the controller scheme and the equipment, which I hate. The Elite controller that I should have in 10 days should fix this issue. Once I can make B always Melee and X always reload I will be fine.

How Reach, ODST and halo3 are at the end of your list makes me think you're absolutely bananas. 2 and 4 have some of the worst gameplay. But...opinions.

GTSweet

Neo Member
Love all of the stories except the very end of 2 as a cliffhanger BS.

Gameplays unique and pretty wonderful, but Halo 3's different bullet physics and shoddy equipment mechanic makes it the hardest for me to go back and play.

I look back most fondly on Halo 2 and Reach as overall games. Love them all though.

2 has the best story and the worst gameplay.

This list is backwards.

And wrong.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
i'm a reach kid and this confuses me.

ODST should be a lot higher if it weren't for Mombasa Streets. No idea why people liked it - it just took fucking ages to get anywhere, and just felt like a chore. Nice for Bungie to test out Destiny, I suppose. But I didn't like that either. Might have been better if the mongooses got unlocked sooner. The actual campaign levels were ace, and I enjoyed them more than 3.

Real Hero

I liked Halo 2 the best just because they let you play as the other side. Then they took that out of 3 and it really pissed me off.

I liked Halo 2 the best just because they let you play as the other side. Then they took that out of 3 and it really pissed me off.

Lots of people bitched about the split campaign early on but grew to love it over time, unfortunately Bungie payed too much attention to the bitching and it was too late by halo 3 :(

I dunno what to tell you.

Even with the flaws H2 is still more fun to play than Halo 3.

Sierra 117 - snoozer
Crow's nest - snoozer
Tsavo Highway - good
The Storm - okay
Floodgate - bleh
The Ark - good
Covenant - okay
Cortana - scustya
Halo - okay

proper franchise order

CE > Reach > ODST > Halo 2 > Halo 4 >>> Halo 3

Slightly off topic...has anyone ever pre-ordered from Bestbuy.com and gotten their game on time? aka release day?

I have some reward zone certs I'd like to use, but want to make sure Halo 5 arrives on that Tuesday.

Campaign ranking:

CE>3>ODST>Reach>2>4

Multiplayer ranking:

CE=2>4>Reach>3

3 has some nice maps, better than Reach and 4 (MCC), but the gun play really drags it down. I annotated 4 as the MCC version as it's lacking the ordinance and has set weapons on the maps. From the beta, 5 seems to be right up there with CE and 2 as far as multiplayer is concerned. We'll see if that holds true with the final release of the game.

I've never played 4's campaign, is it really that bad? I quit 2's campaign because of how god awful it was.

Just because it's last on my list doesn't mean it's bad, it just happens to be my least favorite. 2 and 3 lack some of the more open environments that the other games have, which is why they are last on my list.

I've never played 4's campaign, is it really that bad? I quit 2's campaign because of how god awful it was.

4's is fine, I never understood the flack it got. Varied environments, new enemies, new weapons (albeit really just slightly modified versions of a pistol/rifle/shotgun, etc. but different enough) new story advancement versus "hey look, more flood"

2 is by far the worst. It's the only campaign I've beaten just one time. I tried to go back to it in MCC, but was reminded of how fucking terrible it is and stopped on the 5th or 6th mission.

For me, it's 3, CE (nostalgia is hard to beat), Reach, 4 ODST, 2

ODST and 4 are pretty equal to me. ODST had too many lulls in action for me, might give the edge to 4.

2 is just plain bad.

Honestly after replaying them all back to back I would have to go

Halo 3 > Halo 4 > Halo 2 > ODST > Halo CE

I used to hold CE in very high regard and would have been #1 before I replayed them all back to back and IMO it didnt age very well the gameplay due the second half being downright bad at times. Halo 2 did a wonderful job of expanding the lore and setting up halo 3. Halo 3 was truly GOAT tier, it really captured the feeling that you were in the midst of a war for the universe. ODST was a fun little side experience but added very little to the overall to the story IMO. Halo 4 was great for its own reasons (best gunplay, best graphics, great story so long as seek out the terminals) but it really was lacking those open world Halo levels and the QTE parts were a bit gag worthy, also worst MP in the series when it launched (but it's pretty decent now).

Anyways I don't think there is a right answer here, they are all great games so it just comes down to preference.

Top Bottom