• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Campaign: 3 > ce > 2 > reach > odst > 4.

I think. Maybe. Halo 3 os definitely my fav and 4 definitely my least favorite. In truth, I enjoy all of them but for different reasons. Even 4.

op_ivy

I think tsavo hwy is my favorite halo level ever. It's got great vehicle bits, great on foot bits, its attractive and outdoors, and is challenging. What's not to love?

4's is fine, I never understood the flack it got. Varied environments, new enemies, new weapons (albeit really just slightly modified versions of a pistol/rifle/shotgun, etc. but different enough) new story advancement versus "hey look, more flood"

2 is by far the worst. It's the only campaign I've beaten just one time. I tried to go back to it in MCC, but was reminded of how fucking terrible it is and stopped on the 5th or 6th mission.

For me, it's 3, CE (nostalgia is hard to beat), Reach, 4 ODST, 2

ODST and 4 are pretty equal to me. ODST had too many lulls in action for me, might give the edge to 4.

2 is just plain bad.

Halo4 gets flack because the Prometheans are bullet sponges and not much else. Its not about the level variety for me or the story that makes it dull, its the AI and how fun they are to fight. Theyre just not any fun to fight against. Story is good though, but why would anyone wanna go back if the AI isnt fun to battle against?

Thats why i still love CE. The AI on Heroic is fucking perfect. Add to that the fact that you have a shield AND health and its the perfect battle system. You have enough health to charge and do lots of damage and you can still take a beating without dying. In Halo2, you die within seconds because all you have is an over-shield that depletes within seconds. Thats not fun! I understand the better armor bullshit and lore but god damn, games ultimately should be fun. I never liked how they removed the health packs from halo. I find it just hurt its gameplay and its one of the best parts of reach and ODST.

Just look at what all the good halo games have in common, they all have health packs that ultimately allow you to take more damage without having to hide every 3 fucking seconds. That and fun to fight AI.

Always CE at number 1 for me.

CE > 3 > reach > odst > 4 > 2

Halo 2 had fantastic music, better weapons, vehicles and locations but the actual mission design and flood ruin the game for me.

solis74

Welp. I'm in. Pre-ordered H5 this morning.

go go go!

VigilantHopefulInvisiblerail.gif

:O

Glass

Soldiers do look fun to fight. Squishy enough so you can get a bit creative and bold when it comes to killing them. I like their teleport as well, since the visual effect makes it more of a cool dodge then a 'where the fuck did he go' teleport.

op_ivy

4s mp is really solid in mcc with a lot of the initial shit removed. Still has load outs and fairly poor maps though.

The story in Halo 5 already looks to be pretty weak and hard to follow, however. Just from the first few campaign missions we've had spoiled.

The action, on the other hand, looks to be some of the best of the series. Fingers crossed they find a way to top or at least match double Scarab.

The story in Halo 5 already looks to be pretty weak and hard to follow, however. Just from the first few campaign missions we've had spoiled.

The action, on the other hand, looks to be some of the best of the series. Fingers crossed they find a way to top or at least match double Scarab.

There is a ton of exposition between the teams in the missions. I had to watch the no-commentary ones to really pick up on all the details, but it goes pretty in-depth about what's going on/what went on in the Halo universe.

4s mp is really solid in mcc with a lot of the initial shit removed. Still has load outs and fairly poor maps though.

I couldnt agree more, H4 has the best shooting in the series by far but it was plagued by so many poor decisions like loadouts, orbital drops, and just poor map design.

The way it's done in MCC is fantastic and I would play it more if it didnt have some OP and downright game breaking loadout perks like the Promethean vision

Jroman2323

Neo Member
Campaign -

CE > H3 > Reach > ODST > H2 > H4

Mulyiplayer -

H2 >>>> CE >>>>> Reach > H4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> H3

H3 multiplayer is garbage.

Story
CE > H2 > H4 > ODST > Reach > H3

Campaign Gameplay
H3 > Reach > CE > ODST > H4 > H2

Campaign Level Design
CE (up until the Library) > Reach > ODST > H3 > H2 > H4

Enemy AI
Reach > CE > H2 > ODST > H3 > H4

Friendly AI
Let's be honest, they're all dumb

Soundtrack
ODST > H3 > CE > H2 > Reach > H4

Sound Design
Reach > H2A > CEA > H4 > H2 > CE > H3

Multiplayer Gameplay and Maps

2v2 - CE
4v4 - H2
BTB - H3
Squad - Reach
Action Sack - Halo 4
kappa.png

SaganIsGOAT

Halo2 is easily and by far the worst halo campaign out there. Not even close. You lost buddy.

Which also honestly surprises me that they went the halo2 route with the character switching on 5.

It actually makes perfect sense to use 2 distinct squads seeing as Halo 2 had the BEST Halo game story thus far thanks to them being able to flesh out a story from 2 sides at once. It just a lackluster job with mission and level design, as well as some enemy design.

Dynasty8

Story

1. Reach
  2. Halo 1/2/3/4/ODST tied

(They're all damn good)

Campaign Gameplay

1. Reach
  2. Halo 4/Halo 3
  3. Halo 2/ODST
  4. Halo 1

Campaign Level Design

1. Halo 3
  2. Reach/Halo 2
  3. Halo 4/ODST
  4. Halo 1 (Library and Two Betrayals are a disaster)

Soundtrack

1. ODST
  2. Halo 1/2/3
  3. Reach/Halo 4

Multiplayer (Maps and Gameplay)

1. Halo 2 (The game that made XBL what it is today)
  2. Reach (Hated bloom but got used to it...power ups were no big deal to me)
  3. Halo 4
  4. Halo 3 (I absolutely hated the hit detection...it was horrible)
  5. Halo 1 (Was amazing back then, but it's obviously unbalanced with tons of spawn killing today.

Halo 3 MP was hot garbage.

Correct.

4 was a dumpster fire, sooooo...

Also correct...but they fixed it to the point where it was no longer a dumpster fire. Has the best gameplay in the series, just all the extra added bullshit brought it down. However, Legendary Slayer is fucking incredible. BR starts, no AAs, wonderful.

Adrift. 2012. Pick anything other than Boltshot and Promethean Vision.

Filthy Pro Vision... I've never used it and never will. Same goes for the PP/BR combo in H2...I have one rule, if I get it used on me, I will use it on you. If it never happens, then everyone is happier for it.

Random17

I love how every Halo thread devolves into a list war, and how varied the opinions are. That's the sign of a good franchise.

That being said, Halo 3 had an awful story amd deserves to be at the bottom of the story ranking with Halo Reach.

Top Bottom