• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS AUS/NZ Launch |OT| Featuring Thieving European Importers

Hasney

Yeah, it's like the DSi. Unless the game was coded to specifically boot the game in New 3DS mode, it will use the same specs as a regular 3DS.

Felensis

Banned
The New 3DS browser can play youtube 3D videos? Damn, I didn't know this! The stupid youtube app can't, which is a waste;

Oh boy, yes, you can and it's awesome! Some vids literally let my brain and eyes explode, especially those LG 3D demos!
You can even select how the 3D should be processed by the NN3DS:

nn3dsxl188cuzr.jpg

Rich!

yeah, youtube 3D support is amazing. it's not just youtube, it's any html5 video.

the thing that lets it down is the low bitrate limit.

nyarla

Neo Member
mine finally turned up today. longer wait than i expected .. guess that's what happens when you preorder hardware from JB the day before it's released :) worth the wait though...LOVE it! new 3D works amazingly well.

i got a non-XL, after only having had old 3DS XL. the smaller screens are taking awhile to get used to (my poor old eyes) but look sooo much better with their dense, shiny pixels.. i always had the old XL on max brightness else it was too dim, but 3 or 4 is fine on the new one.

love the size and feel of it. beautiful and solid as. and no more horrible hinge CLICK, yay!

now to play heaps of EOIV and SMT4 while i wait til xmas to play Persona Q because i got it for my gf (and one for me) but she doesn't know it's out yet because i pretended it was coming next year so it's a secret and shhhhh

reektann

mine finally turned up today. longer wait than i expected .. guess that's what happens when you preorder hardware from JB the day before it's released :) worth the wait though...LOVE it! new 3D works amazingly well.

i got a non-XL, after only having had old 3DS XL. the smaller screens are taking awhile to get used to (my poor old eyes) but look sooo much better with their dense, shiny pixels.. i always had the old XL on max brightness else it was too dim, but 3 or 4 is fine on the new one.

love the size and feel of it. beautiful and solid as. and no more horrible hinge CLICK, yay!

now to play heaps of EOIV and SMT4 while i wait til xmas to play Persona Q because i got it for my gf (and one for me) but she doesn't know it's out yet because i pretended it was coming next year so it's a secret and shhhhh

How are you finding the size difference? I switched to XL from normal as I would get weird hand numbness after quite brief periods. With the XL it just doesn't happen. I notice the New 3ds is actually a little larger than the original - sort of in-between the norm and 3dsxl?

Hasney

So the speakers have been improved across the range? Glorious. I know my NXL probably beats out the Vita in terms of sound now.

nyarla

Neo Member
How are you finding the size difference? I switched to XL from normal as I would get weird hand numbness after quite brief periods. With the XL it just doesn't happen. I notice the New 3ds is actually a little larger than the original - sort of in-between the norm and 3dsxl?

Holding it feels great so far, I really like the size! XL always felt a bit unwieldy to me. Haven't had numb hands or anything- I haven't used a normal 3DS but i played original DS/lite for years with no probs so, dunno..

edit: new 3DS is a bit bigger than the original yeah. which is nice.. but it's still much closer to that than to an XL - i think if your hands don't like the normal 3DS they probably won't like this either..

Is the new 3D effect better simply because it no longer breaks and has a much wider range of vision, or does the effect itself have more depth and is now stronger?

I basically haven't lowered the 3D switch from max for the past 3 years, I love the 3D effect, so all this talk of it being improved has me very excited :)

Hasney

I've only really tried Smash with the 3D and it was glorious. Can't play it on my old XL and it's not just the movement of the device, but fast motion seemed a lot better to me. I'll try DOA tonight on both devices since I have it on cart and see if I can notice any differences in the actual 3D quality.

Rich!

Is the new 3D effect better simply because it no longer breaks and has a much wider range of vision, or does the effect itself have more depth and is now stronger?

same strength, but you can move it like a madman and the effect wont break. it's also a near 180 degree range for the effect now, there is no sweet spot anymore.

for example, you can use full gyro controls now without it affecting 3D at all. You can also angle/rotate the 3DS almost 90 degrees to either side without the effect breaking.

Corgi

Banned
man i hope all 3ds first party games of 2014 will have 'n3ds' modes for better performance or something.

It's that super frustrating feeling right now of, I want the new system but there is BARELY any reason to justify the upgrade :(

never really had a issue with 3D on 3ds with how i sit and the XL not getting backplates.

I don't think i own any 3ds games with camera control either so the nub means nothing.

Rich!

man i hope all 3ds first party games of 2014 will have 'n3ds' modes for better performance or something.

It's that super frustrating feeling right now of, I want the new system but there is BARELY any reason to justify the upgrade :(

they aren't going to announce anything until the N3DS is announced for western regions, likely in the January direct.

We already know that Majora's Mask 3D will have N3DS exclusive features, as Aonuma said so in famitsu. I'm guessing it will be along the lines of the following:

• 60fps
  • C Stick camera control
  • Extra inventory slots for ZL/ZR
  • AA in 3D mode

N3DS is likely to coincide with the Majora's Mask 3D release in the west, so it makes sense to have it as a selling point.

Hasney

never really had a issue with 3D on 3ds with how i sit and the XL not getting backplates.

I don't think i own any 3ds games with camera control either so the nub means nothing.

Pretty much, that's why US and Europe haven't bothered yet. But they'll come.

Rich!

Pretty much, that's why US and Europe haven't bothered yet. But they'll come.

Nah, I think its the other way round. Games are being developed, but they arent gonna announce that until NOA and NOE have announced the N3DS for the west.

Corgi

Banned
would be great if the next pokemon was 60fps on n3ds... but i dont think their engine team could get XY to run at 60fps on a wii u.

locked 30fps with full 3D support... would be nice wouldn't it?

Rich!

would be great if the next pokemon was 60fps on n3ds... but i dont think their engine team could get XY to run at 60fps on a wii u.

locked 30fps with full 3D support... would be nice wouldn't it?

for any other developer, sure

but this is game freak

I don't get why Nintendo doesn't lend them any technical support.
They're the biggest selling games on the system and run horribly.
The brief bits of 3D you get inside certain caves look really nice too :(

Rich!

How does the video quality compare to the youtube app's video quality or Netflix? Is 2D quality better than 3D?

2D quality is fine. However, bear in mind that the way 3D videos in youtube work results in the video quality being effectively halved, and artifacts being far more prominent. as such, the bitrate limit in the 3DS browser makes 3D videos look kinda shit.

Rich!

Are they notorious for badly running engines? Forgive my ignorance, I've never really bothered with Pokémon.

Yeah.

Pokémon Red is notoriously buggy as all hell and Gold and Silver were coded shoddily to the point where Satoru Iwata had to step in and pretty much recode the whole thing himself and compress it to fit on the cart.

According to 365games my n3DS is still "being picked" :(
Kind of annoying because I paid for the expedited shipping... at like 2am on Tuesday. So it's the third full day they haven't dispatched it.

Vuze

Just unboxed my New 3DS, feels good. The automatic brightness control was atrocious tho, flickering all over the place. Probably due to the dimmed lightning in my room (late evening over here). Turned it off, all good. Will try one of the few PAL games I own with it later, then the wait for the latest Gateway update continues lol!

I linked my NNID (created it on Wii U last year) and now I can't access eShop features despite having both, the console and NNID set to the same country... error 005-5602. Does the eShop only work for AUS/NZ yet or what?
E: Nvm, some random guy on YT uploaded a video just yesterday that shows how to fix it. Change your region to UK, enter eShop, NNID region verification will fail, change 3DS region back to the one of your NNID (Germany in my case), works. lol

ZeroX03

Banned
For anyone who is still on the fence about a charging dock, I really like mine. A combination of looking great and saving space.

According to 365games my n3DS is still "being picked" :(
Kind of annoying because I paid for the expedited shipping... at like 2am on Tuesday. So it's the third full day they haven't dispatched it.

Holiday rush maybe? They're usually very timely but an order I placed also hasn't shipped yet.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Playing persona Q is probably the longest I've gone with using the 3D screen and now 2D images are starting to look 3D to me.

cilonen

Well I'm in. New 3DS (White) and Mario 3D world on the way. I would have picked up MonHun 3 but I'm going to wait for 4 Ultimate.

What else do I need as a new 3DS owner? Is Fantasy Life any good? And am I better off going for one of the new Pokemon remakes (omega ruby /alpha sapphire) or getting Either of X or Y.

Apologies for asking, I'm sure this kind of asking for a list has been done numerous times, but I've been trawling the search function on and off today and not finding anything helpful.

I think I'll want to pick up New Super Mario Bros 2 too.

So I'm trying to get to this memory card slot. I've got the two screws loose but for some reason the bottom plate isn't coming off. I'm too paranoid to tug at it lest I break it. Are the screws meant to come out completely?

ineji

Neo Member
So I'm trying to get to this memory card slot. I've got the two screws loose but for some reason the bottom plate isn't coming off. I'm too paranoid to tug at it lest I break it. Are the screws meant to come out completely?

No. After a few turns you can just pop off the cover

mothball

Going through the thread it seems there are a bunch of people who went from old XL to normal sized new and liked it, but has anyone regretted it?

Thinking about getting a Japanese New 3DS because USDJPY is insane right now and I can get one from Amazon Japan for $155 total, and also because there's no chance in hell that the US models will come with a firmware that will work with either of the region free solutions (if Ninjhax even ends up as one). I'm kind of on the fence on whether I can justify $155 just for a screen and 3D upgrade, even if they are much needed, but the smaller size is really tempting.

Taigerr

I just wanted to say I am REALLY enjoying my white N3DS, cant put it down. I am even playing some old DS classics I found in my loft like nanostray, scurge hive, custom robo etc oh and Revelations with the C-Stick works a treat, wish Capcom could bring C-Stick support to Mercs.....

Maximo

First Nintendo System I have owned since the Game Boy Advance! Been thinking about getting a 3ds for awhile, and I'm really happy I waited the New3dsXL is so good. Never liked the 3D on the old one kept breaking for me and really took me out of the game, but with Single Player games I'm finding myself keeping the 3D on all the time, its really a big improvement for those that loved the 3D but found it to be alittle fiddly.

Funny enough bought pokemon for it and so did a friend who has owned a 3ds for awhile. After having a few pokemon battles and showed off my 3ds, a friend of mine actually went out and bought a 3ds with pokemon! Even have two more friends considering buying one for pokemon, the pokemon trend has been revitalised!

Currently got a 3DS XL got a couple of questions

1) Has anyone ordered one from 365 games yet? I'm seriously tempted by that. (do they actually have the stock in the UK)

2) if i was to put my 3DS XL SD card in the N3DS would it work fine with all my downloads etc?

Currently got a 3DS XL got a couple of questions

1) Has anyone ordered one from 365 games yet? I'm seriously tempted by that. (do they actually have the stock in the UK)

2) if i was to put my 3DS XL SD card in the N3DS would it work fine with all my downloads etc?

365 games should be fine. Have a lot of friends in the UK that gladly bought from 365Games.

The N3DS doesn't support SD, they support MicroSD or SDXC (if formatted to FAT32 first!).

You'll have to system transfer first to keep your downloads, then copy all your data from your SDCard to your MicroSD or SDXC.

Top Bottom