• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS AUS/NZ Launch |OT| Featuring Thieving European Importers

Producer

Has anyone tried using DS 1:1 mode on the normal N3DS ? I heard that in the original 3DS the games looked too small. Wonder if thats still the case now.

Hoping mine will arrive tomorrow (Thursday), I ordered it at like 2am Tuesday morning but it still hasn't been dispatched (despite 365games saying same day dispatch). Hopefully they'll dispatch it today.

Hey guys and girls,

I am new to the board (from Germany).

I am still undecided whether to get a New 3DS or not :-(.

Currently I do have a 3DS XL in the Luigi Design which I love! Has been the most beautiful handheld I have ever seen.

So I still have some concerns (some of them has been already discussed here, so thank you :) ):

* Is the New 3DS big enough if you come from a XL? (in videos it seems soooo small)
* What if I get a broken console from Play-Asia? Anyone ever got a broken one from them?
* Do I need it? No (New 3DS) game is out yet and I have problems on focussing the 3D because I can't get the 3D well, because of my weaker left eye.

Thank you for the impressions so far, ladies and gents.

Vuze

What are the improvements to Monster Hunter 4G using a New 3DS? Just faster loading?
Faster loading, C-Stick for camera, massively improved framerate in multiplayer (it's almost permanent sub 30 on the old 3DSes... the more players, the worse) and apparently realtime shadows in quest are sharper. But the latter is just something a hunting buddy told me and I can't verify that yet. Gotta wait for my N3DS to arrive and Gateway push their 9.x update so I can try it on the PAL console.

Sakura

* What if I get a broken console from Play-Asia? Anyone ever got a broken one from them?
* Do I need it? No (New 3DS) game is out yet and I have problems on focussing the 3D because I can't get the 3D well, because of my weaker left eye.

Thank you for the impressions so far, ladies and gents.
Play-Asia is legit albeit expensive at times. You shouldn't have to worry about getting a broken console from them, and if you do I'm sure they will refund it.
As for if you need it, well, of course not. It's cool having a built in extra analogue and buttons, and it runs faster, and you can change the cover plates, but you don't 'need' it. In regards to the 3D, I haven't really been impressed. It's better sure, but there is still ghosting, and it is still annoying, so I still keep 3D off.

Faster loading, C-Stick for camera, massively improved framerate in multiplayer (it's almost permanent sub 30 on the old 3DSes... the more players, the worse) and apparently realtime shadows in quest are sharper. But the latter is just something a hunting buddy told me and I can't verify that yet. Gotta wait for my N3DS to arrive and Gateway push their 9.x update so I can try it on the PAL console.
Cool about the better framerate.
I wish older games could take advantage of the more powerful hardware.

Taigerr

..... In regards to the 3D, I haven't really been impressed. It's better sure, but there is still ghosting, and it is still annoying, so I still keep 3D off.....

Each to their own opinion I guess however, this is the first time I have heard someone say the improved 3d doesn't work for them.

For many if not all other N3DS owner this is the biggest improvement they are most happy about. I myself am finding the improved 3D amazing to say the least in game and also watching 3D video on youtube. IMAX in your pocket.

Sakura

Each to their own opinion I guess however, this is the first time I have heard someone say the improved 3d doesn't work for them.

For many if not all other N3DS owner this is the biggest improvement they are most happy about. I myself am finding the improved 3D amazing to say the least in game and also watching 3D video on youtube. IMAX in your pocket.

Like I said, it is better for sure.
But there is still ghosting, which is very distracting to me.
Sometimes I'm sitting with the thing there and it is flickering back and forth trying to adjust the 3D even though I'm not moving it.

Taigerr

Like I said, it is better for sure.
But there is still ghosting, which is very distracting to me.
Sometimes I'm sitting with the thing there and it is flickering back and forth trying to adjust the 3D even though I'm not moving it.

Go to settings intop left corner and.....
1. make sure auto brightness is set to off
2. try re calibrating the 3d in an evenly lit or even a dark room.
3. for good measure make sure power save is set to off.

I actually used a ruler to ensure 30 cm distance when I calibrated mine and now it works perfect

ramyeon

Got my first cover plates in the mail from Nippon Yasan. I am glad they're matte like the default ones. Excuse the low light phone camera photos.

3dskxjrv.png

3ds2g1jj4.png

Xenoflare

For people who got the New XL, how glossy is it? I have the OG and while it's pretty, but it's a fingerprint and smudge magnet.

oti

Banned
Just a quick question: Can one redeem Australian Club Nintendo Points/Stars on an European Club Nintendo account?

Rich!

Just a quick question: Can one redeem Australian Club Nintendo Points/Stars on an European Club Nintendo account?

nope.

but new nintendo 3DS consoles do not come with points in any region anyway. Nintendo have stopped doing it for new consoles, and it'll be the same when the N3DS is released in the west and for any future consoles they release too.

Hasney

Got it today, just finished up the transfer and copying files to my MicroSD and we're good to go!

EDIT: So the target New 3DS says transfer complete while the one doing the transferring is still trying to do eShop data... not sure what to do here.

The KK faceplate is awesome, might have to nab that one.

Here's mine, i like this style cause i can re-enact the Seinfeld B&W cookie episode!
Photo makes it look a little murky in places but in person it's not at all.

LH3APHn.jpg

sugarless

Is anyone else waiting on Australia Post to deliver? DHL was excessively expensive given I wasn't in a rush to have my N3DS right away, but the AP tracking site has just said Brisbane for the past two weeks...

Edit: Ooh, it's now at the facility in the UK!

Phoenixus

How's the speaker volume and quality? The 3Ds XL's kinda sucks compared to the OG 3ds, was wondering if the new models were closer to the original machine.

Just bought a Metallic Blue New XL from 365 games. Pretty excited. Thought that it only makes sense considering I've got two new games to play (Pokemon OR and Persona Q).

Was going to hold out a little longer but considering it's the same price as the EU PAL units will be I saw no point in waiting!

Felensis

Banned
Got my NN3DS XL Metallic Black last Friday from Play-Asia. So far I'm very happy with the device.
First of all the improved speed is just awesome, second comes the stable 3D effect.
This is how it should've been right from the beginning!

C-Stick feels very good to use after getting used to it. The glossy isn't as bad as many ppl say.
I don't like glossy as well, but on the NN3DS XL IMHO it's not as disturbing as with the OG 3DS.

The new Internetbrowser now deserves it's name and YouTube 3D videos are absolutely gorgeous!
Try those 3D demos found there on your NN3DS! NOW! :D
Miiverse now is fun to use instead of the slow-ass version in OG 3DS.
In both of them you can use the C-Stick either to zoom webpages (Browser) or navigate sites (Miiverse) Love it!

Last but not least I love the microSD management via PC.
Works flawless and you don't have to take off the backplate just to get access to your microSD.

What I absolutely dislike is the automatic brightness control (basically a cool feature, but it just doesn't work the right way here, so I've deactivated it).
Next is the new Touchpen and the slot for it. The touchpen is too small I think and because of it's shape it's often not possible to put it back without having to check its alignment.

I love the device nonetheless and since I've had an 3DS XL there is and was no way for me going back to the tiny, fiddly smaller form.
The better handling for adults hands as well as the huge screens is mandatory for me plus I save a lot of money on those faceplates which I can invest in games :>
Oh boy and did I mention how fast SSB now is loading and that you can use Miiverse and Internetbrowser during the game?

Here are some shots taken with my iPhone 5S cam, scaled down for the internet. Sorry for the abysmal quality:

nn3dsxl1cbuwq.jpg

nn3dsxl2pnxz5.jpg

nn3dsxl3xrzop.jpg

nn3dsxl4vzusn.jpg

nn3dsxl6t1uc8.jpg

nn3dsxl74tulq.jpg

Phoenixus

Much, much, much better. It's as loud as the OG 3DS now.

Excellent. :D

Side-note, are there any screen or video comparisons of each model's screen size next to each other anywhere? Going back to my OG 3DS has made me miss the bigger screens, but if the smaller new model has a significant size boost I'll stick with that one.

leng jai

The New 3DS XL feels very solid but the actual finish is pretty sub par. The seams in particular are extremely rough and look pretty bad.

New stylus kind of sucks in both it's shape and its position. The side was so much more convenient. The new shape makes it a nuisance to return to its slot.

I'm glad they screwed up the stylus & it's location, cause it prompted me to use the Wii U Stylus Pen from the accessory pack, that i was barely using before. It's a thousand times better even if it doesn't store anywhere.

This one:
upfoxau.jpg

The new stylus really is in a shitty location.. not just comfort wise, but right next to the headphone socket, i almost jammed it in there a couple times!
I never much liked the OG stylus either ... it slipped in my hands cause of the metal surface and it's a pita expanding and retracting it

Hasney

Transfer went through OK despite the old 3DS stalling on the last step.

My regular N3DS isn't much of an improvement from the XL unfortunately.

Damn, that's a shame. I'm actually playing Persona Q without headphones now because the sound is so much better on the new XL compared t the OG and old XL.

Impotaku

got the boo faceplate but it doesnt seem to glow in the dark, or its not very noticeable

It's not meant to glow fiercely in the dark it depends on how much of a charge it's had before you put it in the dark, if you want to check it's working put a light on and hold it close to the bulb for 60 seconds then turn the light off.

When i took my pics i used a blacklight to supercharge so it would be easy to take pics of it, that's why it's so bright in my pics & that's what the purple glow was.

MicH

God damn it. Finally got around to transfer my stuff over and what happens? I fucking strip the right screw so I can't change the SD card. The left screw loosened just fine, but the right one was apparently too tight. So now I have a system I cannot use as it is. Great! Good idea to put that SD card behind screws :(

M3d10n

Got my NN3DS XL Metallic Black last Friday from Play-Asia. So far I'm very happy with the device.
First of all the improved speed is just awesome, second comes the stable 3D effect.
This is how it should've been right from the beginning!

C-Stick feels very good to use after getting used to it. The glossy isn't as bad as many ppl say.
I don't like glossy as well, but on the NN3DS XL IMHO it's not as disturbing as with the OG 3DS.

The new Internetbrowser now deserves it's name and YouTube 3D videos are absolutely gorgeous!
Try those 3D demos found there on your NN3DS! NOW! :D
Miiverse now is fun to use instead of the slow-ass version in OG 3DS.
In both of them you can use the C-Stick either to zoom webpages (Browser) or navigate sites (Miiverse) Love it!

Last but not least I love the microSD management via PC.
Works flawless and you don't have to take off the backplate just to get access to your microSD.

What I absolutely dislike is the automatic brightness control (basically a cool feature, but it just doesn't work the right way here, so I've deactivated it).
Next is the new Touchpen and the slot for it. The touchpen is too small I think and because of it's shape it's often not possible to put it back without having to check its alignment.

I love the device nonetheless and since I've had an 3DS XL there is and was no way for me going back to the tiny, fiddly smaller form.
The better handling for adults hands as well as the huge screens is mandatory for me plus I save a lot of money on those faceplates which I can invest in games :>
Oh boy and did I mention how fast SSB now is loading and that you can use Miiverse and Internetbrowser during the game?

Here are some shots taken with my iPhone 5S cam, scaled down for the internet. Sorry for the abysmal quality:

nn3dsxl1cbuwq.jpg

nn3dsxl2pnxz5.jpg

nn3dsxl3xrzop.jpg

nn3dsxl4vzusn.jpg

nn3dsxl6t1uc8.jpg

nn3dsxl74tulq.jpg

The New 3DS browser can play youtube 3D videos? Damn, I didn't know this! The stupid youtube app can't, which is a waste;

Morokh

For those who have one, I was wondering when playing Pokemon, does the increased processor speed help with the frame drops in 3D battles ?

Top Bottom