• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS AUS/NZ Launch |OT| Featuring Thieving European Importers

So soft and cute, couldn't stop smiling when I put them on.

G1hEULz.jpg

yXlhQHi.jpg

ZbproVY.jpg

Sajjaja

Has anyone with a 3DS XL gone with an N3DS and feel cramped? Is it too small?

Or, anyone with a regular 3ds get the N3DS and have their hands cramp?

I just want impressions pretty much. The OG 3DS hurts my hands. Want to know if it's the same with the new one.

Vuze

Has anyone with a 3DS XL gone with an N3DS and feel cramped? Is it too small?

Or, anyone with a regular 3ds get the N3DS and have their hands cramp?

I just want impressions pretty much. The OG 3DS hurts my hands. Want to know if it's the same with the new one.

I have a OG 3DS and a XL and I always prefered the original one, XL was just too large for my hand to operate the touchscreen properly in Monster Hunter. Never had too many problems with the OG one but of course it wasn't the most comfortable device to use for longer periods of time and the build quality felt so cheap compared to the XL. N3DS feels like a perfect symbiosis of XL and OG. It's a bit larger but small enough for me to have perfect reach to everything on the touchscreen, build quality feels great too imo and it's very confy to use for me personally.

Also OMG at that soft looking coverplate... I need it ;-;

I mean, you're posting in a thread full of people gushing about it. Who's going to go nay?

Depends on what you need.

True lol, I don't need it but caved last night and ordered it anyway :) (really need to stop watching NFL til 4am, can't help myself at that time of the morning lol)

Mine still hasn't arrived today :( kinda bummed cus I paid for expedited shipping cus I wanted it soonTM
It's been a week since I ordered too (from 365games, UK based).

Mine still hasn't arrived today :( kinda bummed cus I paid for expedited shipping cus I wanted it soonTM
It's been a week since I ordered too (from 365games, UK based).

I would complain and get your postage refunded at least.

Ordered one of 365 about 3am last night and its already being picked so hopefully will be with me very soon.

either that or its a race for what gets to me first. The pokemon faceplate from play-asia or the N3DS itself lol

I would complain and get your postage refunded at least.

Ordered one of 365 about 3am last night and its already being picked so hopefully will be with me very soon.

either that or its a race for what gets to me first. The pokemon faceplate from play-asia or the N3DS itself lol
Did you order the Ruby/Sapphire faceplate? Because I did (from Play Asia) the same time I ordered the n3DS... and it might actually arrive before the 3DS does, lol.

Mine was stuck in "being picked" for like 3 days :/ I contacted them after the 2nd full working day (I ordered at 2am on Tuesday, so contacted them on Thursday) and they gave me a credit refund for the postage and the promise that it would be dispatched that day or the next, and it was dispatched Friday. I have no idea where it is now though. :/

Did you order the Ruby/Sapphire faceplate? Because I did (from Play Asia) the same time I ordered the n3DS... and it might actually arrive before the 3DS does, lol.

Mine was stuck in "being picked" for like 3 days :/ I contacted them after the 2nd full working day (I ordered at 2am on Tuesday, so contacted them on Thursday) and they gave me a credit refund for the postage and the promise that it would be dispatched that day or the next, and it was dispatched Friday. I have no idea where it is now though. :/

Hopefully with you today then although if you went with royal mail its normally delivered before 1PM on SD :/

Hopefully with you today then although if you went with royal mail its normally delivered before 1PM on SD :/
That's what I was thinking :p so I guess it will be here tomorrow. Here's hoping!

I'm going from an Animal Crossing Limited Ed 3DS XL to this so I'm really excited to see how it feels. I started with a red normal 3DS but found it too small for my hands, but I found my hands cramping on the XL anyway unless it was in the CPP. So I figured that I would try going back to the smaller size if it wasn't going to make that much of a difference.

Melon Husk

I said to the man are you trying to tempt me
because I come from the land of plenty?

And he said OH...
Do you come from the land down under ?...

First impressions:
3D is a LOT better. Like you can move the 3DS quite a bit and it will still look right.
It does feel smaller, I'm not sure how I feel about that yet. It's better than going back to an OG 3DS and the pixel density is a LOT nicer (the XL's pixels are fucking huge), but I'll see how I feel after I play with it for a while.

Only issue atm is that I haven't done a system transfer because apparently you can only do it forward. (i.e. old 3DS -> n3DS. You can't go n3DS -> old 3DS) and I'm not sure how I feel about that yet :p

MrKeinov

Just got my new n3ds from Australia. (as a thieving european) I did the transfer from an OG XL and I like the screen size. XL has a really low PPI. I think 4 or 4.2 inches would be the sweet spot for 3ds screen size for me, I have no regrets from transfering. Also have 3 faceplates on the way from Nippon yasan(no 24, 39,, 50)

L5tPK4jl.jpg

M2TY4Swl.jpg

BTW I have a question. I heard infrared light is damaging eye somewhere. Scientifically is that true, or is the density of the IR light in front of 3ds enough to damage the eye? I dont think Nintendo would release a unhealthy product again so I have no worries. But I'm asking for science.

Hasney

Intense IR could, but not this. The IR used on the stable 3D is only slightly more powerful than taking your TV remote and pointing it at your eye.

JordanKZ

BTW I have a question. I heard infrared light is damaging eye somewhere. Scientifically is that true, or is the density of the IR light in front of 3ds enough to damage the eye? I dont think Nintendo would release a unhealthy product again so I have no worries. But I'm asking for science.

Lol, it would have to be staggeringly intensive.

Hasney

I didn't even know it was IR at first. I was about to turn off the 3D to play in the dark, but then noticed super stable WAS BLOODY WORKING and the "camera" was red.

My New 3DS XL charges fine with my old EU 3DS XL.

Sucks the charge cradle doesn't work with the New 3DS though.
Yeah. The powerpack is on the plug end. You can use any charger with any region.
Awesome, thanks :)

Waiting for it to fully charge before I have a proper play. Kind of annoying though as my Omega Ruby is digital so there's no way to play that on the n3DS yet because I don't want to transfer in case I decide I don't like the size after all and want to go back. :p

xxczx

Awesome, thanks :)

Waiting for it to fully charge before I have a proper play. Kind of annoying though as my Omega Ruby is digital so there's no way to play that on the n3DS yet because I don't want to transfer in case I decide I don't like the size after all and want to go back. :p
You could transfer and give it a weeks trial I guess? If you don't like it, transfer back!

xxczx

Where's Sonic 2 and 3 3D SEGA??? :(
bVpSnaMl.png

You can't transfer back.
I thought you can? There's a limit of transferring which is 5 but Nintendo site doesn't state anything about not being able to transfer back to a previously used 3DS other than you have to wait a week.

ramyeon

I thought you can? There's a limit of transferring which is 5 but Nintendo site doesn't state anything about not being able to transfer back to a previously used 3DS other than you have to wait a week.
When you do the transfer to a New 3DS it warns you that you can't go back to a non-"New" version system.

Okay, just played 10-15 minutes or so of Dream Drop Distance on the n3DS. Hand didn't cramp up which is good, when I used to play it on my OG 3DS I'd get cramps really quickly. 3D is also really good, I almost forgot I had it on because of how much better it is. For DDD the c-stick felt like more trouble than it was worth, though. It's not the nicest of things to use and DDD has pretty good camera controls already so I just turned it off. About to test MH3U though, as that's where the c-stick is pretty much necessary :p

The lack of account system is still so stupid.
It's fine for cartridge games obviously as the save data is on those, but I stupidly downloaded Omega Ruby instead of buying it at retail and now it's stuck on my old XL cus I don't want to system transfer in case I want to go back. -_-

Never buying a digital 3DS game again tbh.
Has anyone tried today's update yet? Just want to know if it's likely to cause any problems with the New models?
I just updated, seems fine. But it might block that Cube Ninja thing if that's your thing :p

Vuze

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX6jLvrbyCU

A way to watch full movies in 3D on New 3DS, it seems.

Anyone who can try it out to see how well it works?
Interesting, but I don't think it's comfortable to watch full length 3D movies on the small display of the 3DS regardless of normal/XL size. Will stick to my VR cinema app for this hehe :p Useful for on the go eventually tho.
It's fine for cartridge games obviously as the save data is on those, but I stupidly downloaded Omega Ruby instead of buying it at retail and now it's stuck on my old XL cus I don't want to system transfer in case I want to go back. -_-

I just updated, seems fine. But it might block that Cube Ninja thing if that's your thing :p
Yeah, Nintendo and digital is blargh. Bought one single game on the eShop, never again.

About 9.3: Don't update if you want to use Cubic Ninja stuffs, it's been partially blocked according to smea. I'm holding out for Gateway to confirm that their 9.x support is still working before I decide whether or not to upgrade.

Hasney

I've got about 30 eShop games. It's great, I think the convenience of having all the games on my device at once instead of carrying around the carts like some kind of peasant outweighs the cons.

Sending off my old XL that I sold on eBay today. Should have given it a viking funeral, but oh well.

Symtendo

Cool, I've got my old 3DS for Cubic Ninja so no issues there!

Interesting, but I don't think it's comfortable to watch full length 3D movies on the small display of the 3DS regardless of normal/XL size. Will stick to my VR cinema app for this hehe :p Useful for on the go eventually tho.

Yeah, Nintendo and digital is blargh. Bought one single game on the eShop, never again.

About 9.3: Don't update if you want to use Cubic Ninja stuffs, it's been partially blocked according to smea. I'm holding out for Gateway to confirm that their 9.x support is still working before I decide whether or not to upgrade.
I'm all digital on the Wii U and I'm okay with that because I only really play Nintendo games on it (and they rarely go on sale anyway), but I'm starting to see the pitfalls of it with 3DS. I'm playing X on my n3DS atm because I have that one on cartridge.
Cool, I've got my old 3DS for Cubic Ninja so no issues there!
Hooray :)
I've got about 30 eShop games. It's great, I think the convenience of having all the games on my device at once instead of carrying around the carts like some kind of peasant outweighs the cons.

Sending off my old XL that I sold on eBay today. Should have given it a viking funeral, but oh well.
I love the convenience of it but today has really highlighted it's pitfalls for me, I was considering getting more digital after Omega Ruby but now I don't think I will :p

I said to the man are you trying to tempt me
because I come from the land of plenty?

And he said OH...
Do you come from the land down under ?...

Huge thanks to Melon Husk, just picked up my New 3DS XL from him in London! Cheers for bringing one over from Australia, great doing business! :)

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
I tried Plex to play 3D videos/movies on my New 3DS XL, it works, but only with stereo files, it seems that Plex still uses 5.1 even when you select a low bitrate. I have to find how to force 5.1 downmix to stereo.

Otherwise it works perfectly, the page is just too complex for the 3DS and it struggles to scroll, but movies play smoothly :)

Really hope 365 get a move on with my N3DS! Messaged them earlier and they said it should be posted today, but still on "being picked".

My guess is this site isn't built for the order level at xmas. Probably won't use them again after this.

Really hope 365 get a move on with my N3DS! Messaged them earlier and they said it should be posted today, but still on "being picked".

My guess is this site isn't built for the order level at xmas. Probably won't use them again after this.
Mine was being picked for three full working days and was dispatched on the fourth. It finally arrived yesterday though (I paid the £2.99 shipping) in the afternoon. So I ordered at 2am on Tuesday, it arrived about 4pm Monday.

Muzy72

Banned
Is it worth getting a microSD card that has a read/write speed of 90MB/s? Can new 3DS even process speeds that high?

Top Bottom