• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Spike VGA Teaser Video For PS3 Exclusive [Troll Levels Approaching Maximum]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
What do you guys make of the blue glow in the middle of the latest foliage screen?

I initially thought it was just an out of focus flower, but looking at the previous "growth" pics, it doesn't seem there is a flower there.

(Notice the identical branches across the 3 pics, but blue glow/flower/whatever only in one of them)

aE5pC.jpg

Might just be lens flare

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Maybe crazy, bottom right hand corner of the wall paper.

kLzLs.png

Clearer if you look at the wall paper. Maybe aliens or some bugs thing......... would explain the clicking....... Predator style.

Lingitiz

Does anybody else smell Bungie?

"What's been going on behind the scenes" is a pretty strong hint as Bungie has been pretty dead the past couple of months.

Bungie ps3 exclusive? Zombies? Bungie loves zombies so that's cool, but a ps3 exclusive would be pretty powerful. Then again, probably not, since Bungie said their next game would be something like, "We want to make a world you can take with you, anywhere you go", so unless those plans changed; it might not be likely.

Then there's the ARG website and we know how much bungie loves them post-apocalyptic ARGs.

And finally, Halo Reach was announced at the VGAs a couple years ago.

I doubt it. Bungie's style just doesn't match up with what we're seeing. Plus, Bungie usually likes to handle the ramp up to their announcements in a much different way, and I don't think the Destiny teasing has gotten quite there yet.

Theman2k

I'm SO hyped about this, it's through the roof!
All the speculation about survival horror, move as flashlight, weird real life bacteria adds up to one hell of a game concept.
This is Sony, they never disappointed me, that's why I never rely on anything but PlayStation, Saturday can't come soon enough.

This.

The concept sounds great, it will be even better knowing it's by SSM.

imho it's easier see HL3+3 DLC ps3 exclusive than a game from bungie

HL3 being ps3 exclusive isn't really "you won't believe" material though, I mean Valve has pretty much thrown up the middle finger at Microsoft years ago. Ah well. It is what it is. If anything, the existence of a HL3 shirt so close to the VGA awards probably means something's going down. Otherwise, why would the company be printing shirts for employees? Wouldn't be surprised if HL3 was announced then they gave away some of their extra shirts at the VGAs.

It just depends on whether or not this is a legitimate horror game or an action game that takes place in a horror setting. This isn't going to be a horror game in the sense that you're asking for if it's about battling through waves and waves of enemies.

at the very least, the first teaser with narrator didn't feel like it's a mindless action game. and in the ant video, the sound clip you got of some guy running out of breath, weird clicking sound and some scream give very survival horror vibe to me.

Bungie hasn't made impressive graphics (if that foliage is indeed game gfx) on the Xbox360 all these years, why would they now with such a little development cycle on the PS3? Makes no sense. And they would get out of a steady and profitable relationship for another exclusive deal? Makes little sense too aside creativity liberty, and that is a stretch.

Same goes for Valve, they are master of the limitations of their engine, so they wouldn't be pushing the envelope on graphics now. Source 3 engine would make zero sense being unveiled and exclusive to the PS3. They using a third party engine even more so.

Aaaaand same goes for Epic. I'd buy the idea of building a brand recognition franchise on the Playstation family, but this late? More likely their games will be multiplatform, and who knows next generation they'll have leading, distinct ips for each platform.

If there is any 3rd party collaboration, it is on helming the project. Not actually developing it.
So that leaves us with what? Kojima? Jade Raymond and her I am Alive response?

This is a internal dev effort. A joint one between studios makes more sense than any of the 3rd parties.

---

And it would be cool if the nature was growing as time passes, 4D. Ken Kutaragi redemption game.

Derrick01

Banned
Not that this will ever ever happen, but please say this in front of a Half-Life fan and tell me his reaction at the thought of a PS3 only HL3.

I'm assuming when people bring this up they mean console exclusive (as in not on 360). There's no one here who actually thinks HL3 won't be on PC or developed as PC first....right?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I really really hope that Sony Santa Monica is behind this. Seeing the crazy shit they pulled with GOWIII gets me mad hype with what they could do with a new IP.

NeoUltima

Developer is clearly SSM (gow team). I don't see how it could be anyone else. It's not third party developer, lets be real. And no one else in sony had the talent, or had the time, to be making a big budget game that looks this good.

And the graphics, especially those leaves, look like the GoW3 engine.

tAwRK.jpg

Like, how the lighting makes the leave look jaggyish. I swear I've seen that effect in GoW3.
It's hard to explain, but that looks like the GoW3 engine to me.

edit: and also, if you look at the bigger version, http://i.imgur.com/pMgIr.jpg , the lighting on the right. It's got like clear distinctive light rays in it. GoW3 had very similar lighting (white light rays) throughout the game. Call me paranoid, but w/e.
edit: example of the lighting in gow3 i'm talking about: http://images.gamersyde.com/image_god_of_war_3-10569-1708_0003.jpg
edit3: this video sort of shows some of what I'm talking about. There even a lot of similar looking foliage. http://gow-webassets.scea.com/ucmdev/groups/public/documents/webasset/g3_e3trailer.mp4

KingK

I honestly hope it's not a Valve game. I've never been able to get into any of their games before.

My money is still on a new Sony Santa Monica survival horror ip called The Last of Us. Which is honestly the best outcome I can think of, as long as there's no forced on Move controls.

Karak

hmmm i'm guessing the "wouldn't believe" hype must be because it does something very VERY different from other horror games OR because the graphics are THAT damn amazing.

Agreed. They have not shown anything that warrants any kind of hype at all so far. So I am also thinking, very different style, like you are the zombie, or gfx. But the GFX don't amaze me if its not moving and is just a still shot where they can pump every single resource into a screenshot.

Once we see it up and running maybe. But so far, this is even less than most teasers. I think some people are way overboard on their hype train compared to any realistic expectations or even reasoning.

I can't remember ever being surprised in an "unbelievable sense" at an awards show. The hype is usually orders of magnitude more than needed.

Karak

If this game is completely internally-developed, I wonder why Geoff would be so shocked that it hasn't leaked.

So much has been leaked lately in the press surrounding everything else. Perhaps he is just stoked. Or, as with other announcements that were actually guessed, he is just saying " no one has guessed it." Because he can't give it away obviously.

we got a lot of rumor of GoW4 in development, maybe Sony actually release some red herring to mislead people with God of War 4 when they're actually making Last of Us.

slider

It's gotto be SSM (dunno what I'm basing that on). And it's gotto be the "zombie" game. Anything else is... I dunno.

We really don't have enough info to make an informed guess - it's just wild speculation.

And I'm ignoring Keighley's "hints".

All that said it's been fun!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
lol, are you saying the guy is going on stage to announce a facebook game? Doubt Spike or Keighley would even give airtime for that shit

No, but a high quality f2p game a la TF2/DotA 2 with Unreal Engine 3's browser based Flash version might.

I mean, last year they showed Thor and Deadliest Warrior, and they're not hyping the Epic announcement a lot.

How do you know it's ingame?

It is called a "Screenshot" on the lastofus.com website. So I would assume it is a screenshot from the game. Now whether pre rendered or not, who knows.

Also, I really like the "Made In America" on the side of the NewsPaper Box. I kinda lol'd. They want you to know it is from a US Studio.

mjc

I'm getting I Am Legend vibes from this for some reason. I'm definitely interested to see what it turns out to be.

Tree simulator. You heard it here first.

Design your own forest! Place various forms of flora wherever you like but beware; insects, sunlight availability and more may thwart your progress. Well placed cordyceps and Venus flytraps as well as proper placement of plants can help your forest thrive.

Online multiplayer includes lumberjack mode. Invade another players forest and chop away. "Timber!"

Arsenic

Design your own forest! Place various forms of flora wherever you like but beware; insects, sunlight availability and more may thwart your progress. Well placed cordyceps and Venus flytraps as well as proper placement of plants can help your forest thrive.

Online multiplayer includes lumberjack mode. Invade another players forest and chop away. "Timber!"

I'd seriously play this.

monocromo

I want to know who is responsible for "a hour". Feed him to the cordyceps.

Its like I wrote that.

I think some of you are looking into it a bit too much :p

I prefeer people looking into it a bit too much than people saying Valve, Bungie, Half Life 3 or other stupid things like those.

Also, I'd love a mainstream game with an ecology message. Dont mess with nature !

Krev

Unconfirmed Member

I wish.

Though this seems to be another damn zombie game, at least it seems like a potentially interesting zombie game.

There's only one game with a virus history like that which isn't a new IP:

23ef5fb738e800633f56d164e91fd897-Syphon_Filter.jpg

I know it isn't, but that would be a bold move if it was more like World War Z than Dead Nation, where you're a soldier actually going on missions, dropped into missions, etc.

Raoh

That opens fine in-browser. Thanks!

Is that clicking sound him trying to start a motorcycle (or other vehicle) of some kind? The sound right before it could be him sitting on it, and I'm probably imagining it but maybe you can hear a hint of springyness, like from the shocks?

Good call, I think you got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom