• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 JP |OT| -

Anything less than playable Wario is UNACCEPTABLE! =P
I don't know why people were even thinking this was a possibility. Wario appearing was never going to happen.

Anyway, as I said earlier in the thread it's about what I was expecting but it's still lazy at the bare minimum they could've unlocked one last level like in SMG, SMG2 and SM3DL where you unlock one last level after collecting everything.

Actually, looking at recent Mario Kart games,
the reward sort of falls in line with those. A changed title screen is what you get when you 100% a Mario Kart game, and now that's true here. The hype making it seem really awesome kinda sucked, but at least it'll be something small for those that decide to get a million.

Drago

Is that really everything though?

The video just ends on the title screen... could there be anything that changes in-game that we don't know about? Or maybe I'm just too hopeful... :/

Overkill on Mario is a good thing.

As a die hard Mario fan....I agree with this statement.

It shows how much of a hypocrite I am, as I'm pretty much against annualization of franchises, but I'm ok with them giving me a core Mario title every year...or in this case twice in the same year. :p

Is that really everything though?

The video just ends on the title screen... could there be anything that changes in-game that we don't know about? Or maybe I'm just too hopeful... :/

We've had the reward posted a number of times by different people and the general consensus is that it's just that.

How does 2 players work in this game ? Is there coop ? Only competitive ? Tell me more, GAF !
From my understanding it's co-op. It works just like it did in NSMBWii except with only 2 players so you can be a competitive asshole if you want.

Meh, the reward is about what I expected actually. I don't play Mario games for some super secret unlockable or anything. I play them for the levels and powerups and overall Mario-ness.

beanman25

A bit off subject, is it worth buying Japanese 3DS for imports? I ordered a copy of NSMB2 and it's just sitting here. (Yes I willingly bought it without having a JPN 3DS)

Here's the 1 Million Coin reward.

It's as underwhelming as you probably imagined

Uh, WOW. That's insultingly pointless and mind blowingly bad. Seriously, I can't believe I'm saying this but 1 million coins in NSMB2 is now officially much less desirable than Sunshine's blue coin hunt! At least with that there was an objective.

This could seriously be one of, if not the worst side task in the entire series and makes a complete mockery of the game's key hook. Still going to buy the game but my hype has been deflated greatly. This is a surprisingly lazy and completely clueless decision on Nintendo's part.

Nintendo of Canada's Matt Ryan said:
It’s not a ‘gimmick,’ it’s the jackpot. That’s what it is, no doubt; you are collecting coins like crazy in that game. It’s insane how many coins you’re going to collect; the amount of 1UPs you’re going to get are going to help you, yes, but it’s like hitting the jackpot because there’s coins everywhere. And Gold Mario is able to throw gold fireballs, which allow you to gold everything else.

There’s basically every single opportunity to get coins that you could possibly think of, and you want to get them all… there actually is purpose to collecting all those coins, and I’m not going to tell you what it is, but there’s purpose, and you want to collect as many as you can. I don’t think that we would tease if it didn’t actually mean something.
And the reward is
a title screen change? Jesus fucking Christ, what were they thinking?

Uh, WOW. That's insultingly pointless and mind blowingly bad. Seriously, I can't believe I'm saying this but 1 million coins in NSMB2 is now officially much less desirable than Sunshine's blue coin hunt! At least with that there was an objective.

This could seriously be one of, if not the worst side task in the entire series and makes a complete mockery of the game's key hook. Still going to buy the game but my hype has been deflated greatly. This is a surprisingly lazy and completely clueless decision on Nintendo's part.

Yeah...underwhelming doesn't even describe it. Especially considering the whole "can you catch 1 million coins" is in all of their marketing descriptions. Still look forward to playing the game, but no way am I going to play over and over again for that "reward."

Anth0ny

I got all 120 shines for that Hawaiian shirt/sunglasses swag.

They couldn't have even been bothered to create one special stage for collecting all the coins ala 3D Land?

I actually enjoyed Sunshine's Blue Coin Hunt. This, however, is pretty terrible. I know the game will have wonderful platforming, and I'll definitely enjoy that as I did every other Mario game. However, I at least expected something substantial after Nintendo's teasing.

This is ridiculous. It's exceptionally lazy. It devalues what was supposed to differentiate this title from the rest.

I got all 120 shines for that Hawaiian shirt/sunglasses swag.

Really? I finally got the rest of the blue coins/120 shines last September (using some YouTube guides) but I was able to get the shirt and glasses long before that. Again, still incredibly tedious but at least it required more effort and exploration than just blindly running around and the Shines were rewards in and of themselves.

They couldn't have even been bothered to create one special stage for collecting all the coins ala 3D Land?

No kidding. I think they're going to get a lot of backlash and I really think they should offer some kind of special, free DLC content to make up for this because it really devalues the game a bit. And not tying in a game about treasure collecting and greed with Wario somehow (either as an unlockable or a villian) also really shows you how bad Nintendo is sometimes at NOT leveraging their own properties.

MormaPope

Banned
When there is a new 2D Mario series, Nintendo should really draw inspiration from Super Mario World with secrets and gameplay. Super Mario World has an insane amount of replayability due to hidden warps to star road and the numerous other secret levels that take effort or research to find.

Drago

I'll still probably end up getting 1 mil coins anyway, eventually. I'm most likely going digital because 2D Mario is my go-to handheld game for short bursts, coin rush could have me addicted, DLC, and I'll likely still be playing just for fun a year from now (plus a replay whenever I get an XL)...

I do wish the reward was more substantial though. Wario with his Wario Land powers would have been incredible :(

The 1 000 000 coin reward is lame, but I'm sure the 9 999 999 will be awesome!

I'm actually happy that the reward for useless grinding is shitty, I'll definitely play the levels over and over to make some perfect runs and high scores, and maybe I'll reach the 1000000 naturally, but I really don't see myself farming coins... If you like grinding you should play pointless RPGs/MMOs/facebook games

Destructoid said pretty much the same.

So sad to see a new Mario platformer getting such average scores. I was really excited for the game when they first debuted it and showed that the Raccoon suit could be used for flying again. I was really hoping this would open up the door for more expansive levels and allow the dev team to get more creative with the design. Then the coin focus started, and from that point on, my interest started dwindling. Add to the fact that it looks like your standard world layout...(oh, wow, World 2 is a desert...SHOCKER), and then comparing it to stuff like the van Gogh level in NSMB Wii U, I just feel underwhelmed.

I'm still looking forward to playing it, and sadly I spoiled the last boss fight for myself (which looks to be the high point of the game), but I've always held Mario platformers in the highest regard. Seeing something that looks so by-the-numbers is disheartening.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Still looking forward to this, but everything I've seen/read surrounding the coin feature leaves me bitterly underwhelmed. When the game was announced I was hoping that the focus on coins would be a universal gimmick tied to the game's fundamental design. Like the whole game revolved around coin collection for various perks and mechanism, in order to give the series a goofy twist on a familiar element.

Instead it seems coins are just coins, as usual, granting lives. And there's coin rush mode with no leaderboards beyond streetpass. And a shitty reward for hitting one million.

God Nintendo, how boring.

Gravijah

Still looking forward to this, but everything I've seen/read surrounding the coin feature leaves me bitterly underwhelmed. When the game was announced I was hoping that the focus on coins would be a universal gimmick tied to the game's fundamental design. Like the whole game revolved around coin collection for various perks and mechanism, in order to give the series a goofy twist on a familiar element.

Instead it seems coins are just coins, as usual, granting lives. And there's coin rush mode with no leaderboards beyond streetpass. And a shitty reward for hitting one million.

at least New Super Mario Bros. U exists!

NMSBU looks like its trying to refresh this meta-genre with aggressive level design and truly original backgrounds....plus, being in HD and with already gorgeous graphics doesn't hurt, either

If anything, NSMB2 will make me crave a completely new New experience, which I'm convinced NSMBU will deliver big time

It certainly looks that way, but we have still seen very little.

However, playing the 3DS entry right before the Wii U game would be like snacking before having a big meal. I may not enjoy the meal as much as I would have without snacking.

Sometimes Nintendo's idiocy can be just as shining(?) as their genius.

Still befuddles me why it wasn't and isn't Wario & Waluigi in NSMBW/U instead of the two toads.

And I wouldn't be surprised if this game's development was rushed when the 3DS began to flounder a year ago and coins were added as a last minute gimmick.

Good news: It's another Mario game, with everything you expect, and nothing else
Bad news: It's another Mario game, with everything you expect, and nothing else

maeda

So basically the home console and portable sequels to New Super Mario Bros. stayed true to their prequels: New Super Mario Bros 2 is just as shitty as New Super Mario Bros 1 was, while New Super Mario Bros U is as awesome as New Super Mario Bros Wii was. What a pity! :( I guess I am waiting for deals on NSMB 2.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Sometimes Nintendo's idiocy can be just as shining(?) as their genius.

Still befuddles me why it wasn't and isn't Wario & Waluigi in NSMBW/U instead of the two toads.

And I wouldn't be surprised if this game's development was rushed when the 3DS began to flounder a year ago and coins were added as a last minute gimmick.

The Iwata Asks for the game doesn't really paint it as a rushed project; the coins idea was apparently there early on and the game was originally called New Super Mario Bros. Gold. To be fair, Nintendo did say way before the 3DS even launched that both a 3D and a 2D Mario were in development for it.

The real problem is that they directly stated at the roundtable that there was some kind of meta game mechanic involving coin totals and players competing against other regions via Spotpass - not just Streetpass. And that aspect is apparently nowhere to be found in the game.

So unless it's unlocked via Spotpass once the game is out in all regions (which is from a technical perspective, entirely possible, and automatic Spotpass unlocks have been distributed before), it's a bizarre disappointment.

I think we'll see in the end that the development wasn't rushed. It was just given to beginner designers and told to be put out quickly. No way in hell it would be coming out so close to NSMBU if the 3DS wasn't floundering outside of Japan. NSMBU still looking great with actual new music and an awesome looking new multiplayer mode. Boost mode for life!

reggie-shrug.png

TrueBlue

I was interested in that one-million coin goal, because it actually gave players a defined target to strive for apart from rescuing Peach. That "reward" is bitterly underwhelming.

DjRoomba

Banned
I was interested in that one-million coin goal, because it actually gave players a defined target to strive for apart from rescuing Peach. That "reward" is bitterly underwhelming.

Yes video game rewards..The problem is these cant possibly ever be satisfying to the certain kind of people. There's only soo much a game can give you dude, pretty much comes down to "achievement"in most games. What do you expect, Nintendo to give everyone who reaches 1 mill a club Nintendo prize?? There is a game in there that you pay for, remember? Complaining about something like this is embarrassingly ridiculous...

Drago

Yes video game rewards..The problem is these cant possibly ever be satisfying to the certain kind of people. Theres only soo much a game can give you dude, pretty much comes down to "achievement", cutscene or somethin like big head mode. What do you expect, Nintendo to give everyone who reaches 1 mill a club Nintendo prize?? Complaining about something like this is completely ridiculous. I bet some of you complaining would have probably gone for a millions coins anyway if all it got you was a PSN trophy. There is a game in there that you paid for, remember?

The thing people have a problem with is that getting 1 million coins is a huge point they're making about the game and something they were hyping up, and the fabled prize is...

...a title screen

probably the worst reward ever, given the hype and the circumstances to get there. they even give you a counter to keep track on the way to a million! for THAT! literally ANYTHING would have been better or more fitting. at least a level...

I'm still extremely hyped for the game though, but now I'm probably not going to make as big of a deal about the coin collecting

Not touching that spoiler but man.....
I'm really hoping the disappointment here is just overly-negative-GAF doing their thing because I was actually really looking forward to getting a million coins :(
I'm at least expecting a whole secret world or Wario cameo or something.

watershed

Banned
That is disappointing and reading some of the more negative reviews they reflect all the concerns I have had with this game from the start. On one hand I know it will still be fun, but on the other I wish there was some way to send a message to Nintendo that this "New" series needs some new injected into it.

I'm still looking forward to playing it, and sadly I spoiled the last boss fight for myself (which looks to be the high point of the game), but I've always held Mario platformers in the highest regard. Seeing something that looks so by-the-numbers is disheartening.

The fight really isn't a high point. It was possibly the weakest part of the game as far as I'm concerned.

Foffy

Banned
That is disappointing and reading some of the more negative reviews they reflect all the concerns I have had with this game from the start. On one hand I know it will still be fun, but on the other I wish there was some way to send a message to Nintendo that this "New" series needs some new injected into it.

Let's hope New Super Mario Bros U does this. I fear it won't, though. The NSMB games are easily Nintendo's laziest series of games to date.

Top Bottom