• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

R600

Banned
And Lockhart? They care or not?

Make your choise.
Guys who dont care about 4K, but want next gen console will be looking at Lockhart as great deal. Especially if its 200$ cheaper then PS5/Anaconda.

Guys who care will be buying other two.

Cant make it anymore simpler. Xbox One will not be ready for next gen duo to generational difference in CPU, GPU and SSD. Anaconda/PS5 vs Lockhart is not generational difference, its the same console made for lower resolution gaming. Thats all there is.

Fake

Gold Member
He's hurt that hes dream next gen console might not hit hes expectations, reality doesnt evolve around him, he thinks gamers like him must & should only play a 13-15TF machine and companys should make stuff for hes likings.
It's business boo.
Lol. Your reputation proceed mister.

Fake

Gold Member
What’s the point of Lockhart if MS already said their games will work on One/S to Scarlet?
That's my entire point. They said 'gamers don't care', but if they really want to buy Lockhart of course they'll care.

Last edited:

Mass Shift

A 4TF Lockhart will beat any current console and people will buy it.

I just hope it does not hold back those of us who buy the higher end machines.

I know. Even if MS (and they absolutely should) enhance or optimize for Anaconda, 3rd parties may not bother at all. The bigger the publisher, the more intrinsically lazy they will be about the baseline.

MS could pressure themselves with this because they would have to set the bar and the standard very high every single time. Otherwise, why build an Anaconda?

On the other side of this, I game online with dads who might appreciate a Lockhart console. They aren't buying their kids a full spec'd anything just so they can play Fortnite or Angry Birds or whatever. I know a few that wouldn't mind a device that keeps Junior's hands off his gear and into the kids playroom.

Fake

Gold Member
What type of boost would the 1X get if it had a rumored ps5 or Scarlett cpu?
You mean Lockhart? Already a big boost in comparison with Xbox One X, but we still don't know the specs of Lockhard. Just using the Scarlett specs as a base for guess Lockhart.

Bodatan

Banned
Oh, you mean gamers will buy a Lockhart for play a 'next gen' FIFA/CoD with they can play on base Xbox One?

Make sense.
Want to hear the magic words?

Next Gen.

Let me give you the examples of users migration to the next gen console.

Zelda Botw WiiU - 1.7m units
Zelda Botw Switch - 14.5m units

Mario Kart 8 WiiU - 8m units
Mario Kart 8 Switch - 19m units

Why would they buy Switch if those games can be played on the WiiU?

Next Gen dude

Fake

Gold Member

Next Gen.

Next Gen dude
Lmao. Are you really comparing Wii U sales with Nintendo Switch sales? For real?

NeroDaGod

I don't agree with this view that Lockhart will sell well because 'cheapstake mothers and undeducated grandmas.'.

People just aren't that uninformed anymore, the general consumer is researching products more and more before making a decision to purchase, it's consumer behaviour 101.

Last year, the narrative from certain perspectives was that DRM was also a great business idea because you can't resell games and people are always online anyway etc, and look what happened.

If there is huge media backlash over a gimped SKU and the implications it might have for gaming and therefore the general consumer, the Xbox is fucked, I think Microsoft is taking a huge risk here.

The world is bigger than the UK and the US, the Xbox already has a questionable reputation in most markets.

If social media and the general internet adapt a negative reaction towards Lockhart post-launch, it's gg.

Ar¢tos

XB1 also "support RayTracing". We'll see the extent of this "support" at launch (on both Sony and MS machines). Comparisons are going to be very interesting.
I guess raytracing on consoles will be just for another advertising point. The reality will be a "Where's Waldo?" situation, you will need to look very hard to find the ray-traced reflection in the image.

Bodatan

Banned
Lmao. Are you really comparing Wii U sales with Nintendo Switch sales? For real?
Why not? Both versions of BOTW were released on the same day and the same thing can be said to those triple AAA 3rd party games.

Next Gen is the deciding factor to all of those player base.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I don't agree with this view that Lockhart will sell well because 'cheapstake mothers and undeducated grandmas.'.

I dont know when my wife's sister asked us to go Christmas shopping with her and because she knew I was a gamer and she wanted me going to help her pick stuff out.

I started telling her the differences between the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro and it came down to that $100 difference to her.

Her kids got a Pro.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What’s the point of Lockhart if MS already said their games will work on One/S to Scarlet? Out of Booty’s own mouth.
Faster loading, higher framerate. That's how they will sell it.

Them going with cross gen only lineups to start the gen is very clever because it will be very hard to see the difference in graphics. By the time next gen games come out looking like switch abominations no one will care.

Switch sold 800k in a weekend. A single weekend. No one has ever sold that many gaming units in a weekend. And it did that despite nearly all its ports dropping resolutions all the way down to 360p. Casuals don't care about that shit. Even if Lockhart games drop down to 720p, they won't care.

GermanZepp

Oh, you mean gamers will buy a Lockhart for play a 'next gen' FIFA/CoD with they can play on base Xbox One?

Make sense.
200.gif

Bodatan

Banned
I think the most important part some people here ignored is the total number of base PS4 and base X1 users that will migrate to the new ecosystem that is called the next gen.

They're going from an ancient architecture of 1.3tf and 1.8tf machines to the new machines with a new architecture. Pro and X users are the minority here.

Low entry price point is a game changer at the start of a new era.

XB1 also "support RayTracing". We'll see the extent of this "support" at launch (on both Sony and MS machines). Comparisons are going to be very interesting.
There's a reason nVidia didn't release RTX 2050. It's comical to expect HW RT support on Lockhart.

But then again, there are people who believe that 2018 RTX GPUs don't have VRS... ignorance at its finest.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Faster loading, higher framerate. That's how they will sell it.

Them going with cross gen only lineups to start the gen is very clever because it will be very hard to see the difference in graphics. By the time next gen games come out looking like switch abominations no one will care.

Switch sold 800k in a weekend. A single weekend. No one has ever sold that many gaming units in a weekend. And it did that despite nearly all its ports dropping resolutions all the way down to 360p. Casuals don't care about that shit. Even if Lockhart games drop down to 720p, they won't care.

So 4 boxes to choose from at launch then?

R600

Banned
There's a reason nVidia didn't release RTX 2050. It's comical to expect HW RT support on Lockhart.

But then again, there are people who believe that 2018 RTX GPUs don't have VRS... ignorance at its finest.
Yea, like saying Navi 2 at 9TF wont match 2070, when Navi 1.0 already does so.

I know whats happening. Sony fanboys are livid duo to Lockhart still being alive because it being dead meant Anaconda had to be match or slower then PS5, therefore it made no sense to exist. Its also very risky proposition if Sony, as its been rumoured, goes for 500$ console at start of the gen, and MS delivers 1440p box for 300$.

pawel86ck

Banned

I remember watching VRS analysis in Wolfenstein 2, and according to Digital Foundry VRS performance wasnt improved that much.

Last edited:

Next Gen.

Next Gen dude
The Wii U sold a whopping 13.5 Million consoles total in its entire lifespan.

The switch has sold over 34 Million

A larger install base equates to more sales.

Gamernyc78

Banned

I know whats happening. Sony fanboys are livid duo to Lockhart still being alive because it being dead meant Anaconda had to be match or slower then PS5, therefore it made no sense to exist. Its also very risky proposition if Sony, as its been rumoured, goes for 500$ console at start of the gen, and MS delivers 1440p box for 300$.

Risky? So risky tht ps3 upon release for hundreds more outsold Xbox 360 ww almost every single month upon its release. Experience has shown us ppl are going to buy Playstation bcus the exclusives are just there and thy prefer it.

Norse

If there is a Lockhart I bet production of 1S and 1X will end. Or 1X 299 LH 399 Scarlett 499. But I think LH 299 and Scarlett 499 would make more sense. Maybe even a 199 1SAD. Should be interesting.

One of the insiders said Lockhart won’t have RT. Either Jason or Tom, I forget which.
I’m having a hard time searching for that. But I remember that being said. A lot of rumors on both sides are wildly different every day. I can’t say I’m on board with believing anything at this point. I feel like the leaks are a smoke screen.

Norse

Risky? So risky tht ps3 upon release for hundreds more outsold Xbox 360 ww almost every single month upon its release. Experience has shown us ppl are going to buy Playstation bcus the exclusives are just there and thy prefer it.
In Japan maybe. 360 whipped ps3 ass in the USA. So much so that it took the entire gen before ps3 passed it worldwide. Even then it was pretty much even. But USA ps3 was not #1

Bodatan

Banned
The Wii U sold a whopping 13.5 Million consoles total in its entire lifespan.

The switch has sold over 34 Million

A larger install base equates to more sales.
Not at the start of Switch life cycle. Zelda Botw sold more on Nintendo Switch than WiiU despite having less than 10m installbase.

Botw launch number
2.76m units for Switch - Switch Hardware was lower than Botw copies at 2.74m.

Around 1m for WiiU on 12m install base.

Fake

Gold Member
Not at the start of Switch life cycle. Zelda Botw sold more on Nintendo Switch than WiiU despite having less than 10m installbase.

Botw launch number

If you ignore Wii U was a fail console for Nintendo, that silly comparison just show how brute Nintendo software are.

Ar¢tos

Sour-Face-Huh-Expression.gif

The X1s had to drop to 99€ for it to start selling in Europe (and stopped as soon as black Friday price ended), so 300 is 200 too much for it to matter.

Botw launch number

Also consider that the game was a launch title, easily selling close to 1:1 at the time.

bitbydeath

I’m having a hard time searching for that. But I remember that being said. A lot of rumors on both sides are wildly different every day. I can’t say I’m on board with believing anything at this point. I feel like the leaks are a smoke screen.

Same sorry, there’s been a ton of pages written since. All I found was this where Tom implies it and maybe others run with it? I just remember it being talked about.

Gamernyc78

Banned
In Japan maybe. 360 whipped ps3 ass in the USA. So much so that it took the entire gen before ps3 passed it worldwide. Even then it was pretty much even. But USA ps3 was not #1

No one is talking about usa. All of us know how it played out. USA is not the only market and selling more consoles world wide matters more than in just one region. BTW Sony also has Europe on smash besides one or two countries. Again my comment still stands with a way higher price tag at tht time, worse multiplats on ps3, Sony still outsold Xbox "world wide" almost every single month. A lockhart, Braveheart, or whatever else won't have Microsoft winning the sales race.

Bodatan

Banned
If you ignore Wii U was a fail console for Nintendo, that silly comparison just show how brute Nintendo software are.
A new Gen is the primary reason, I bet you if WiiU was launched with the one of the highest rated game of all times like Zelda Botw things would be different.

R600

Banned
Sour-Face-Huh-Expression.gif

The X1s had to drop to 99€ for it to start selling in Europe (and stopped as soon as black Friday price ended), so 300 is 200 too much for it to matter.
Not comparable. PS4 already built a fortress in Europe (and US for that matter).

200$ the difference at start of gen is ALOT.

Ar¢tos

Not comparable. PS4 already built a fortress in Europe (and US for that matter).

200$ the difference at start of gen is ALOT.
And you think that people that own a ps4 in EU/Asia are going to throw away their friends and game library because MS is releasing a 1080p machine for 200 less?
This if MS doesn't breakdown EU into 3 tiers again. When X1 released here (tier 3) nobody even cared about it, everybody already had a ps4.

Typically, those shills you speak of are typically on point. But I will say this, this is a time where details aren’t final and we should be skeptical of everyone.

I said this few pages back :
All devs which have received Scarlet and PS5 devkits surely got product manual with target spec info.
But devkits are really NEAR to be final. If Phil Spencer has a Scarlet home console at home and it's usable, that means specs are done IMO.

Norse

Sorry but my local market is what means the most to me. I couldnt care any less about worldwide sales. Both sold 90+ million units worldwide yet I bet that didn't mean shit to a Japanese Xbox owner living in Japan if he/she didn't import a 360.

Now, back to the topic.

R600

Banned
And you think that people that own a ps4 in EU/Asia are going to throw away their friends and game library because MS is releasing a 1080p machine for 200 less?
This if MS doesn't breakdown EU into 3 tiers again. When X1 released here (tier 3) nobody even cared about it, everybody already had a ps4.
Yea, MS should just drop the entire console thing since no one will throw away their PS4 friends and game on next gen Xbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom