• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitbydeath

I said this few pages back :
All devs which have received Scarlet and PS5 devkits surely got product manual with target spec info.
But devkits are really NEAR to be final. If Phil Spencer has a Scarlet home console at home and it's usable, that means specs are done IMO.

Phil says lots of things. If it were final already they’d already start mass production and have it on store shelves by March.

Norse

I said this few pages back :
All devs which have received Scarlet and PS5 devkits surely got product manual with target spec info.
But devkits are really NEAR to be final. If Phil Spencer has a Scarlet home console at home and it's usable, that means specs are done IMO.
I doubt Spencer has an actual production Scarlett at home. Maybe a Dev unit or a preproduction unit that may or may not be at final spec.

Bodatan

Banned
And you think that people that own a ps4 in EU/Asia are going to throw away their friends and game library because MS is releasing a 1080p machine for 200 less?
This if MS doesn't breakdown EU into 3 tiers again. When X1 released here (tier 3) nobody even cared about it, everybody already had a ps4.
Next gen is going to be more competitive than the current gen in term of sales.
Microsoft isn't going to repeat the same mistake by selling Scarlett at higher price than their close competitor PS5 and at the same time they're also will launching a cheaper SKU to reinforce their market share.

This time PS5 is going to suffer very badly in Japan with the appearance of a new monster called Nintendo Switch.

Fake

Gold Member
Microsoft isn't going to repeat the same mistake by selling Scarlett at higher price than their close competitor PS5 and at the same time they're also will launching a cheaper SKU to reinforce their market share.

This time PS5 is going to suffer very badly in Japan with the appearance of a new monster called Nintendo Switch.
Nice take...

Ar¢tos

When a brand becomes recognized and develops a big enough install base, it becomes very hard to take its place. Sony also has the exclusives games as a major selling point, while MS diluted the few exclusives they had with the pc market, and the eventual PSVR2 that will carry the library of PSVR1.
Sony just needs to not fuck up (I mean seriously fuck up, not small things) to keep its place next gen.
Its no longer about MS fucking up or not, that only impacts on how behind MS will be (regarding console sales, which might not be the same as placing in the game market).

bitbydeath

When a brand becomes recognized and develops a big enough install base, it becomes very hard to take its place. Sony also has the exclusives games as a major selling point, while MS diluted the few exclusives they had with the pc market, and the eventual PSVR2 that will carry the library of PSVR1.
Sony just needs to not fuck up (I mean seriously fuck up, not small things) to keep its place next gen.
Its no longer about MS fucking up or not, that only impacts on how behind MS will be (regarding console sales, which might not be the same as placing in the game market).

Sony having the first next-gen only games is going to be a huge selling point for them.

TLZ

Banned
Want to hear the magic words?

Next Gen.

Let me give you the examples of users migration to the next gen console.

Zelda Botw WiiU - 1.7m units
Zelda Botw Switch - 14.5m units

Mario Kart 8 WiiU - 8m units
Mario Kart 8 Switch - 19m units

Why would they buy Switch if those games can be played on the WiiU?

Next Gen dude
Xbox isn't Nintendo. Totally different philosophies and strategies.

TLZ

Banned
I dont know when my wife's sister asked us to go Christmas shopping with her and because she knew I was a gamer and she wanted me going to help her pick stuff out.

I started telling her the differences between the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro and it came down to that $100 difference to her.

Her kids got a Pro.
Still got a Pro though. Not a slim ;)

Maybe Lockhart will be a 1080p/1440p 120fps console if people prefer framerates over resolution....
Forget 1440p, 120 fps, HW RT. $299 will give you 1080p60 at most. PS4 Pro-tier machine with better CPU and SSD.

Even the SSD will probably be 512GB max, which means it will be slower compared to 1TB variants and thus establishing a lower baseline.

I doubt Spencer has an actual production Scarlett at home. Maybe a Dev unit or a preproduction unit that may or may not be at final spec.

He literally said a console in his tweet.

"this week I brought my Project Scarlett console home and it's become my primary console, playing my games, connecting to the community and yes, using my Elite Series 2 controller"

Surely he has a home console with unfinished design, but with finalized specs.

Is he actually downplaying RayTracing ? Doesn't inspire confidence of the extent of RT support on Lockhart.
The same people who have a lowballing agenda are telling you to expect HW RT support on Lockhart... you realize how ironic that sounds, right?

Keeping expectations in check (NOT). And of course they're going to ignore this specific Tom Warren tweet, since it doesn't suit their narrative.

HW RT is expensive. OsirisBlack OsirisBlack told us that even the $499 SKUs might not have the best HW RT implementation in the market and yet, people expect $299 to deliver on that front.

The hypocrisy/double standards/goalpost moving is astounding.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Nice take...

funny you should say that because the nintendo switch is proof that casuals and indeed fans dont give a shit about power. nintendo fans have been fed last gen hardware for three gens now and they couldnt be happier. they love the switch. they love the 360p ports of doom and wolfenstein. they love 480p unreal engine 4 games like yoshi's world. they love the witcher 3 port which looks so bad it still haunts my dreams. they love cross gen games like zelda botw and couldnt care less about the fact that in less than 1 year, the switch will be literally 2 gens behind in terms of hardware.

these are not soccer moms or cod casuals, they are hardcore gamers who are perfectly fine playing on a 0.19 gflops gpu in 2020 when a console literally 73x more powerful gets released.

seeing the reception of lockhart from microsoft fans, its pretty clear to me that they dont care about power either. at this point, ms could release a 1.3 tflops x1 slim with a navi gpu, a zen 2 cpu and ssd, and they will eat it up.

the thought of a zelda and metroid game releasing in 2021 on tech that is equivalent to tech found in a 2005 console... makes me sad. but ask any nintendo fan and see if they give two shits about that. spoiler: they wont.

Gamernyc78

Banned
The same people who have a lowballing agenda are telling you to expect HW RT support on Lockhart... you realize how ironic that sounds, right?

Keeping expectations in check (NOT). And of course they're going to ignore this specific Tom Warren tweet, since it doesn't suit their narrative.

HW RT is expensive. OsirisBlack OsirisBlack told us that even the $499 SKUs might not have the best HW RT implementation in the market and yet, people expect $299 to deliver on that front.

Any common sense having person on this forum should know or guess tht the hw RT will be some mid tier type implementation and not as good as powerful pc's and should be good with tht. Shit I know I am..

Phil says lots of things. If it were final already they’d already start mass production and have it on store shelves by March.

You can surely build up a console for your boss, isn't it? :D Like i said, specs are finalized, but design isn't finished and other stuff. Having a blast with ELITE 2, but not with new Xbox gamepad, right? Preparing new factory equipment, solving logistics, supplies, work force, distribution to Tier 1, 2, 3 countries, final testing etc......it takes months before mass production. Then a mass production takes time too for a new type of hardware.

Last edited:

R600

Banned
O

Oh if OsirisBlack told us that, then I guess it is true.

Its not goal post moving. Its answer to stupid posts such as "Bu bu you already have Xbox One".

No. Xbox One is 2013 console with mobile CPU and mid tier AMD GCN GPU. It doesnt have nearly enough oomph in CPU dept (Lockhart should easily be ~4x more powerful), nor it does have GPU with 2020 feature set or SSD.

The fact that Lockhart will have RT hardware means it will be able to run Anaconda and PS5 games, albeit at aimed lower resolution.

How you guys miss this is incredible. But when you think about it, anyone with half a brain knows why Lockhart sounds bad for some of you.

Last edited:

R600

Banned
Forget 1440p, 120 fps, HW RT. $299 will give you 1080p60 at most. PS4 Pro-tier machine with better CPU and SSD.

Even the SSD will probably be 512GB max, which means it will be slower compared to 1TB variants and thus establishing a lower baseline.
But it has HW RT. And 4TF Navi is easily faster then 4TF Polaris. And memory usable for games will be doubled, at least.

You can lowball all you want, but everything points at Lockhart being next gen console, akin to Anaconda, with 50-60% less TF and aiming for 1/3rd or 1/4th of resolution.

Nice take...

I don't think they're wrong about PS5 in Japan at the very least; home consoles just aren't much of a thing there anymore, and PS4's slow (and low) sales in that particular region reflects such.

Then again, there's a reason Sony moved their gaming headquarters to California...which is a reason I'm kinda worried about a few things in terms of censorship with PS5, but hopefully the worst of the worst doesn't take hold there. It's honestly the one main reason I'm hesitant in picking one up.

funny you should say that because the nintendo switch is proof that casuals and indeed fans dont give a shit about power. nintendo fans have been fed last gen hardware for three gens now and they couldnt be happier. they love the switch. they love the 360p ports of doom and wolfenstein. they love 480p unreal engine 4 games like yoshi's world. they love the witcher 3 port which looks so bad it still haunts my dreams. they love cross gen games like zelda botw and couldnt care less about the fact that in less than 1 year, the switch will be literally 2 gens behind in terms of hardware.

these are not soccer moms or cod casuals, they are hardcore gamers who are perfectly fine playing on a 0.19 gflops gpu in 2020 when a console literally 73x more powerful gets released.

seeing the reception of lockhart from microsoft fans, its pretty clear to me that they dont care about power either. at this point, ms could release a 1.3 tflops x1 slim with a navi gpu, a zen 2 cpu and ssd, and they will eat it up.

the thought of a zelda and metroid game releasing in 2021 on tech that is equivalent to tech found in a 2005 console... makes me sad. but ask any nintendo fan and see if they give two shits about that. spoiler: they wont.

The difference between Switch and Lockhart is that the Switch at least has an immediate justification for being weaker in that it is a hybrid form factor system. Yeah you can use it docked, but the portability has been arguably its biggest selling point in terms of hardware features. It's the main reason it's been doing well in places like Japan, in fact.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member

If you or someone don't care about next gen or graphics why waste time posting in the thread? Create a new thread and explain that.

Last edited:

You missed one thing; if power doesn't matter, resolution doesn't matter, and lower cost is all that matters, then the lack of first party next gen exclusives on Lockhart means there wouldn't be anyone who would buy it. I am basically guarentee that the likes of Battlefield, CoD and the like, major third party games, would be cross gen for the next two years. That means the cheapest option to play these games is NOT buying a Lockhart, but to keep the current gen console and play new games on that.

Even those who currently don't own a console, would see a 2nd hand Xbox One or a PS4 superslim as a better value proposition, as either of these would be able to play all the major games. The only way to change this is if Xbox offer next gen games that current gen machines can't run... And Microsoft is already implying they are not currently doing that.

If you don't care about power, then you don't care about next gen either. You need next gen exclusives to entice people to upgrade, that had always been true.

bitbydeath

But it has HW RT. And 4TF Navi is easily faster then 4TF Polaris. And memory usable for games will be doubled, at least.

You can lowball all you want, but everything points at Lockhart being next gen console, akin to Anaconda, with 50-60% less TF and aiming for 1/3rd or 1/4th of resolution.

It’s said to have significantly less memory than Anaconda. At best that sounds like 12GB and at worst 8GB.

Fake

Gold Member
I don't think they're wrong about PS5 in Japan at the very least; home consoles just aren't much of a thing there anymore, and PS4's slow (and low) sales in that particular region reflects such.

Then again, there's a reason Sony moved their gaming headquarters to California...which is a reason I'm kinda worried about a few things in terms of censorship with PS5, but hopefully the worst of the worst doesn't take hold there. It's honestly the one main reason I'm hesitant in picking one up.
PS5 is not even out yet dude. Not because Nintendo sell on Japan that PS5 will sell low.

Besides, once again. Has nothing to do with home console vs portable. Nintendo software are strong. If so, Vita should sucess there because 'home consoles are dying'.

I don't even know why you guys are bring Nintendo to the thread. Unless Nintendo release another console like the PRO some sites are talking about, here we talk about next gen, not about upgrade versions.

But if you have anything new from Nintendo, please feel free to share.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned

The same Nintendo fans who claim that are the same ones who say the Switch is more powerful than the Xbox One and PS4. The same ones who'll scream from all corners of the world about how powerful their console is if Nintendo ever released one. So do they really care or not? Confusing.

Fanboys are fanboys, no matter what. I don't believe none of them one bit. It's all about fitting the narrative.

Last edited:
look at this Blackmagic:

a console which not exist is more powerful than another console which not exist...

in this crazy world facts don't matter.... feel free to follow your dreams and imaginations... for next 1000 pages

PocoJoe

Banned

What a moron.

Of course 99€ xbox sold like crazy, not because people want digital only console. It sold because it were cheap and that is how many shop, buy shit they dont really need, if it is cheap enough.

Who is this guy anyway? Sounds too stupid to have any influense.

If someone is selling shit for a dollar and idiots buy it, does it mean that there is demand for shit? No.

Also, last time I saw numbers, digital games didnt sell better, at least outside of US.

Demand for physical games is still high. Only americans are stupid enough to pay full price for worse product and like it.

Last edited:
You mean Lockhart? Already a big boost in comparison with Xbox One X, but we still don't know the specs of Lockhard. Just using the Scarlett specs as a base for guess Lockhart.

and this is nextlevel sorcery:

a console which not exist has ALREADY a big boost above xbox x... and this even though no one knows the spects of this illusion.. but he proofs his point by using spects of another nonexistent console as starting point....

that's mind blowing performance

PS5 is not even out yet dude. Not because Nintendo sell on Japan that PS5 will sell low.

Besides, once again. Has nothing to do with home console vs portable. Nintendo software are strong. If so, Vita should sucess there because 'home consoles are dying'.

I don't even know why you guys are bring Nintendo to the thread. Unless Nintendo release another console like the PRO some sites are talking about, here we talk about next gen, not about upgrade versions.

But if you have anything new from Nintendo, please feel free to share.

Oh, I think PS5 will do decently in Japan at launch, that isn't the issue. But in terms of that specific territory, console sales ARE down and have been reducing for a long time. There's nothing the PS5 can do to reverse this imho. I think that's part of the reason they relocated the gaming division's headquarters: it's symbolic of Sony further emphasizing the Western markets as their chief markets for PS5 sales. In terms of 1st party games their output has already been reflecting that but it will continue to do even moreso with the next generation.

Vita failed in Japan for other reasons than anything regarding the home console market, like the proprietary memory and as you say, lack of games appealing to that market. But I think even if the Switch's software lineup wasn't as strong as it is, it would still be handily outselling PS4 in the region and have surpassed its LTD total in Japan about around the time it actually has.

I think mentioning Nintendo and the Switch in terms of the Japanese market is worth discussing because it WILL have an impact on PS5 over there, no way getting around it. The question is, what can Sony do to reverse the shrinking console market in that region, and if they care enough to really do so. Or are they okay with conceding it, to focus on gains in the West and key developing markets instead?

Fake

Gold Member
and this is nextlevel sorcery:

a console which not exist has ALREADY a big boost above xbox x... and this even though no one knows the spects of this illusion.. but he proofs his point by using spects of another nonexistent console as starting point....

that's mind blowing performance
CPU or Jaguar vs Ryzen. Are you feeling OK mate?

Last edited:

Bodatan

Banned
PS2 - PS3 and Wii - WiiU

PS3 ate all of the profit from PS1 and PS2 lol and WiiU was the shit beyond redemption.

A new Gen is gonna be a new battlefield

Bodatan

Banned
Oh, I think PS5 will do decently in Japan at launch, that isn't the issue. But in terms of that specific territory, console sales ARE down and have been reducing for a long time. There's nothing the PS5 can do to reverse this imho. I think that's part of the reason they relocated the gaming division's headquarters: it's symbolic of Sony further emphasizing the Western markets as their chief markets for PS5 sales. In terms of 1st party games their output has already been reflecting that but it will continue to do even moreso with the next generation.

Vita failed in Japan for other reasons than anything regarding the home console market, like the proprietary memory and as you say, lack of games appealing to that market. But I think even if the Switch's software lineup wasn't as strong as it is, it would still be handily outselling PS4 in the region and have surpassed its LTD total in Japan about around the time it actually has.

I think mentioning Nintendo and the Switch in terms of the Japanese market is worth discussing because it WILL have an impact on PS5 over there, no way getting around it. The question is, what can Sony do to reverse the shrinking console market in that region, and if they care enough to really do so. Or are they okay with conceding it, to focus on gains in the West and key developing markets instead?
PS4 with the biggest support from all of big 3rd party Japanese games like MHW, DQ11, KH3, and FFXV are struggling to reach PS3 LTD in Japan. Now they need to compete against a new threat that's dangerous than WiiU.

I m a Nintendo fan since the NES and GameBoy and after the WiiU - a POWERFUL (hear this people, POWERFUL) hardware for the time of released - i could not care less with the WiiU + called the Switch. It plays the same games than the WiiU and they are mostly the same, still has some horrible controllers, is too weak to push new ideas, and worse... it's not even a home console! But i'm the minority (but not the only one).

Ultra hardcore fans (aka and let's be clear, the toxic ones claming like babies all over the web "we alllll have to buy Nintendo whatever they do so Nintendo can make money" imagine Jim Sterling getting crazy for the voice - so glad i'm not anymore in this community) will claim that after Star Fox Zero ("so great and perfect, buy it to support Nintendo") , Witcher 3 Switch is the best thing on earth... i played the game on X and Pro and there is no way i'm gonna punish myself with the Switch version. 😱

Oh and the Nintentrolls were the ones laughing at Sony face cause a lot of Vita games were not at 540p. 😱

Those Nintentrolls are also the ones rewriting history. Just check Nintendo ads for NES, SNES, N64,.GC... it's all about power. The WiiU was POWERFUL. The only one to break this narative is the Wii. 😱

But now and just like SEGA, Nintendo is out of the home market and it'll take like 15 or more years to make the jump to 4k. The Switch is a hybrid (like the PSP or Nomad), not a home console whatever Nintentrolls say. 😱

At this point, i don't see the point in bringing Nintendo on the table. They will NEVER make the jump to ultra SSD drives, NEVER to 10 TFLOPS... they are still cluless on how to run and what to do with online services in 2019... paying to save in the clouds... and are trashing their controllers hadware after hardware, when there was a time they were the king of controllers. 😱

Man, give me some member berries and let's go back to Sony and MS . 🤭😋

Last edited:

Bodatan

Banned
I m a Nintendo fan since the NES and GameBoy and after the WiiU - a POWERFUL (hear this people, POWERFUL) hardware for the time of released - i could not care less with the WiiU + called the Switch. It plays the same games than the WiiU and they are mostly the same, still has some horrible controllers, is too weak to push new ideas, and worse... it's not even a home console! But i'm the minority (but not the only one).

Ultra hardcore fans (aka and let's be clear, the toxic ones claming like babies all over the web "we alllll have to buy Nintendo whatever they do so Nintendo can make money" imagine Jim Sterling getting crazy for the voice - so glad i'm not anymore in this community) will claim that after Star Fox Zero ("so great and perfect, buy it to support Nintendo") , Witcher 3 Switch is the best thing on earth... i played the game on X and Pro and there is no way i'm gonna punish myself with the Switch version. 😱

Oh and the Nintentrolls were the ones laughing at Sony face cause a lot of Vita games were not at 540p. 😱

Those Nintentrolls are also the ones rewriting history. Just check Nintendo ads for NES, SNES, N64,.GC... it's all about power. The WiiU was POWERFUL. The only one to break this narative is the Wii. 😱

But now and just like SEGA, Nintendo is out of the home market and it'll take like 15 or more years to make the jump to 4k. The Switch is a hybrid (like the PSP or Nomad), not a home console whatever Nintentrolls say. 😱

At this point, i don't see the point in bringing Nintendo on the table. They will NEVER make the jump to ultra SSD drives, NEVER to 10 TFLOPS... they are still cluless on how to run and what to do with online services in 2019... paying to save in the clouds... and are trashing their controllers hadware after hardware, when there was a time they were the king of controllers. 😱

Man, give me some member berries and let's go back to Sony and MS . 🤭😋
I just can't can by that 🤐💩

44alltheway

So what is the consensus rn? still that ps5 is stronger? I'm pretty sure scarlet devkits went out to a bunch of devs so maybe they will start leaking soon.

vpance

So what is the consensus rn? still that ps5 is stronger? I'm pretty sure scarlet devkits went out to a bunch of devs so maybe they will start leaking soon.

They already leaked. That's why we got a bunch of re-confirmations that 5 > X and Lockhart is back on.

Norse

Bunch of reconfirmations? We actually got 1 person that said both systems are powerful and each has advantages over the other. That's all I've seen here lately. Nothing I would call "gospel" fact though.

He literally said a console in his tweet.

"this week I brought my Project Scarlett console home and it's become my primary console, playing my games, connecting to the community and yes, using my Elite Series 2 controller"

Surely he has a home console with unfinished design, but with finalized specs.
I can't imagine that Phil has a lot of free time to just kick back and play video games at home 😅 but what do I know..

Bodatan

Banned
I can speak for myself, I know PS exclusives will be free from this shackle and they will forward the industry as usual. I never cared one bit about Lockhart, come November and the world will never care too.
Based on the top 5 top rated game of the decade Nintendo and Rockstar are the one that lead the industry 🤔 and graphics isn't everything at the end. Superior physics system > Ultra realistic graphics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom