• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

MistBreeze

So we now know everything about the ps5 including UI and launch games reviews ( 2 of them at least )

BC comparability and ssd loading speeds for legacy titles and new games

what left???

3rd party games consoles comparisons??

Cold boot times have very little to do with SSD speed. I don't get why people were expecting a massive improvement there. The OS isn't even stored on the SSD. Most of the time spent booting is used to initialize devices, doing integrity checks and security checks. Also loading the OS from flash memory and starting OS related services in the background.
You are right but also your CPU is much more powerful but in this part of software (OS) I am not even a amateur so I don't know.

So in short.
- Microsoft put a lot of effort on BC to make sure every single game took advantage of the console's speed. And Sony was like "hey, let's build a PS4 inside the PS5!" and call it a day.
- Seems like VRR will be available at launch, because it's already confirmed to support it.
- Also playing and copying games from an external SSD was already confirmed but it will probably added at launch. Link to the holy Road to PS5 to confirm this.
- The console is cool and quiet, being a big boi worked out after all.
- Optimized games load so damn fast, can't wait to see more next gen games (or next gen versions of existing games).
- And Miles Morales, a cross gen game, is a next gen showcase... not that surprising tbh. RT on PS5 seems to be better than expected, running the game at native 4K/30 with RT reflections and highly detailed textures is an achievement.
Another difference between the BC of both is in Xbox looks like you always need a Internet with PS5 not.

Does anybody know if PS5/XSX games will be optimized for HT/SMT?
Probably few crossgen titles will use it after any game dev exclusive for the new gen will use it, how efficient will use it ? is another topic.

Last edited:
So we now know everything about the ps5 including UI and launch games reviews ( 2 of them at least )

BC comparability and ssd loading speeds for legacy titles and new games

what left???

3rd party games consoles comparisons??
Yes, I think just comparisons and maybe some other minor details we will know about these coming days.

MistBreeze

Yes, I think just comparisons and maybe some other minor details we will know about these coming days.
yes,, u get ur new console unbox it turn it on and u know every thing about it ui and every thing nothing fresh

I miss ps1 and ps2 days when console unboxing and turning it on including boot and ui is fresh and a surprise

oh well,,,, different times..

Im happy at least dual sense can not be ruined

it will still fresh cause youtube videos can not emulate it... lol

Rea

It's 300 MHz. Remember these older games aren't taking advantage of SMT, so the 3.8 GHz CPU is helping with the faster decompression. Any of the customizations and next-gen features of the consoles are useless when it comes to BC titles that aren't coded to support that stuff, and the brute force of faster CPU and GPU is what makes the difference.
You could say that series x cpu is faster and supports 2 modes , but ps5 cpu is only using SMT mode,and therefore old games was not coded for SMT can't take full advantage, this is also maybe one of the reason too.

Did you even clicked on the link?
"You can leave your games in the hard drive and play them directly from there thus saving the pricier SSD storage for your PS5 titles or you can copy your active PlayStation 4 titles to the SSD"
Edit: If your talking about copying PS5 games to the external storage, then yes, that was never confirmed.

Got you, confirmed since march,:
KL7qyqf.png

The entire complaint most people are having is that they would like to use an external drive as cold storage for PS5 games. Thus they leave them there and can copy over to the internal drive to play. The series x allows this with series x games and there was an assumption you could do that here.

That is ultimately not the case. If you run out of the 650gbs on the ps5 you must download games from the store and delete others to make space. This combined with no expansion option means you are limited in space. Miles plus COD is 1/3 of the drive space.

Last edited:

JonkyDonk

Somebody posted these tweets in the other thread:

This is actually a really good explanation. Just like how the BC resolutions of games are dependent on the PS4/Pro version of the game, seems like BC loading times also depend on what the loading times were to begin with. And X1X had shorter load times in a lot of these games compared to Pro, so PS5 is actually showing better gains if you look at it that way.

Last edited:
and? This is same as PS4 and PS4 Pro. It only charged the controller as well on those 2 consoles when unit was in stand by mode. PS5 is not different. It will only detect and charge the controller on the best power settings. XSX will charge vapes and phones even.

The PS4 can charge phones in rest mode as well what the hell are you on about?

Last edited:

BGs

Industry Professional
Lots of lies and misinformation are coming out due in part to people who are analyzing the console with "incomplete" firmwares that will be updated on the day of release. Until the consoles are updated on 12-19, it would be more prudent not to enter into absurd wars that in a few weeks can cause you shame.

Faithless83

Banned
Lots of lies and misinformation are coming out due in part to people who are analyzing the console with "incomplete" firmwares that will be updated on the day of release. Until the consoles are updated on 12-19, it would be more prudent not to enter into absurd wars that in a few weeks can cause you shame.
Do you know of the "big surprise"?
Yes or no is enough, if possible. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

anaphase

Somebody posted these tweets in the other thread:

This is actually a really good explanation. Just like how the BC resolutions of games are dependent on the PS4/Pro version of the game, seems like BC loading times also depend on what the loading times were to begin with. And X1X had shorter load times in a lot of these games compared to Pro, so PS5 is actually showing better gains if you look at it that way.

Are you saying that the load times are locked to console they were developed for?...

JonkyDonk

Are you saying that the load times are locked to console they were developed for?...
Not locked obviously because they are faster now, but the original console's limitations do affect that how far the boost on the new console can go. Hence the resolution differences we are seeing and most likely for the load times too. The gains should be compared to the original version rather than cross platform to really gauge the hardware.

oxman2k

so far then
xsx more powerful than ps5
ps5 better controller than xsx
xsx better video options, vrr, 1440p, freesync
ps5 better games,better graphics,at launch
ps5 better backwards compatibility runs top ps4 games at locked 60fps
ps5 faster ssd
xsx upgradeable ssd and more memory
xsx better external hardrive support can install xsx games and transfer ps5 wont do this

so xsx is more powerful on paper but doesn;t have any games and a more of the same controller
ps5 has a much better higher tech controller,great games,faster ssd,but then has less memory poor video and drive support
both microsoft and sony should have has these sorted before launch.

so far then
xsx more powerful than ps5
ps5 better controller than xsx
xsx better video options, vrr, 1440p, freesync
ps5 better games,better graphics,at launch
ps5 better backwards compatibility runs top ps4 games at locked 60fps
ps5 faster ssd
xsx upgradeable ssd and more memory
xsx better external hardrive support can install xsx games and transfer ps5 wont do this

so xsx is more powerful on paper but doesn;t have any games and a more of the same controller
ps5 has a much better higher tech controller,great games,faster ssd,but then has less memory poor video and drive support
both microsoft and sony should have has these sorted before launch.
I'd say XSX has better BC, PS5 is good but the XSX is better at that.
But yeah, we got a taste of what next gen is all about with PS5.

I am sure it is providing extra low power charging your kinder surprise toy phone ok to light up the LED's there is no doubt about that. Look at the tweet. It is from a reviewer. He confirmed no USB power for his vape from his PS5.

It's a samsung galaxy 10 at 71% and will finish charging in 48 minutes. In rest mode

If you are supplying power to the USB, in rest mode, then it will charge your devices including your phone or vape, just like the PS4

try it for yourself instead of using a 4 year old reddit tech support post like a twat

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
so far then
xsx more powerful than ps5 (on paper but nothing to show it yet)
ps5 better controller than xsx (yes)
xsx better video options, vrr, 1440p, freesync (VRR is a feature on the specs. Likely day one patch or per game basis)
ps5 better games,better graphics,at launch (Sadly XSX has very little going on exclusive games wise)
ps5 better backwards compatibility runs top ps4 games at locked 60fps (and this is out of the box, games are being patched)
ps5 faster ssd (twice as fast raw speed and more efficient decompression hardware.)
xsx upgradeable ssd and more memory (PS5 will have off the shelf NVME SSDs support, but it has to match the PS5 internal SSD to work. Sony will provide a list of compatible models)
xsx better external hardrive support can install xsx games and transfer ps5 wont do this (only PS4 games currently)

ps5 has a much better higher tech controller,great games,faster ssd,but then has less memory poor video and drive support (less available storage space. Memory implies RAM and that's not the case. Actually, it's XSX that has limitation on RAM speed. PS5 uses an unified pool. I didn't get the "poor video and drive support" part though.)
both microsoft and sony should have has these sorted before launch. (IMO PS5 has a pretty decent launch lineup. XSX has a decent "remastered" lineup)

Last edited:
It's a samsung galaxy 10 at 71% and will finish charging in 48 minutes. In rest mode

If you are supplying power to the USB, in rest mode, then it will charge your devices including your phone or vape, just like the PS4

try it for yourself instead of using a 4 year old reddit tech support post like a twat

do you have a PS5? no. does the person it tweet does? yes.

did he test it? yes

did it work?

no

by your logic, PS4 also supported USB game saves but Sony being scummy removed the option in PS5 so it can force PS+

they have likely done the same scummy move perhaps with PS5 if your PS4 is lighting up the LED's around your toy phone ok.

did he test it? yes

did it work?

no

by your logic, PS4 also supported USB game saves but Sony being scummy removed the option in PS5 so it can force PS+

they have likely done the same scummy move perhaps with PS5 if your PS4 is lighting up the LED's around your toy phone ok.

Can you confirm he had the power settings set correctly so the PS5 is supplying power to the USB ports?

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
The PS4 has an option in rest mode so that it only charges a device for 3 hours after the system was put to sleep.

This is to stop it from overcharging controllers for days and fucking their batteries up.

Someone probably plugged a phone into a PS4 more than 3 hours after it was put to sleep and made a Reddit thread.

And now here we are talking about it years later like morons in a next-gen thread.

anaphase

Not locked obviously because they are faster now, but the original console's limitations do affect that how far the boost on the new console can go. Hence the resolution differences we are seeing and most likely for the load times too. The gains should be compared to the original version rather than cross platform to really gauge the hardware.

I see what you mean now. Makes sense, in a dumb(not you) way.

Dunno much about console software, but I do know about software. Usually when block or non-blocking operations are ready, they broadcast an event letting other processes know they're ready, or run the next process in the pipeline.

I would think it works that way with consoles as well. "hey, this IO operation I was running is ready, go ahead and continue", something like that. The IO operation itself shouldn't be limited by the profile of the console the game was developed for. But then again I don't know the limitations(or how it works at all) of PS5s BC.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Not going to lie, this actually irritates me quite a bit lmao.

That doesn't make sense though. We know it will charge the controllers in rest mode....so why wouldn't it charge a vape? Isn't this probably the PORT that they're trying to use? Just doesn't sound right to me...though I could care less if you can charge a vape device with your GAME CONSOLE.

In fact, if this is true, I have a marketing campaign for Sony. Ready?

MICROSOFT IS TARGETING CHILDREN BY ENABLING THE USE OF VAPE DEVICES WITH THEIR GAME CONSOLE!

You know....I'd be willing to bet that if you posted that pic and info to Twitter, along with the claim that Microsoft is promoting vaping to kids with their new console, that you'd probably have a viral tweet and loads of entertainment watching the resulting "Reeeeeeeeeeeeee's!" Heh.

Last edited:
It's like the packaging and the UI resolution all over again.

I guess the UI resolution is going to depend on the screen that you use. On some screens a low resolution will look fine while on others it might look bad.

With my case I don't have an issue with 1080P UI on my monitor however a 4K one does look alot better to me. While the text does seem a little off it's still perfectly legible to me.

As for the packaging as long as its capable of transporting the system safely I don't really care about anything else.

haha, the warriors are getting crazier when we are closer to the release date. 6 more days for some of us! My bestbuy order can no longer be canceled. though my credit card hasn't been charged yet, i took it as a sign of confirmation. here we go, nextgen!

Krisprolls

Banned
But unless Sony is using a hypervisor there is little chance of any sort of quick resume happening.

Nah, they could perfectly make it later on PS5 too if it's useful. Activities are a bit of the same process, it brings you in 5 sec without splash screens or anything to a level in another game, so it's probably a dump of a memory state too, they couldn't do it in 5 sec otherwise (see NG Gamer video review for activities, it's really extremely fast).

All it lacks is the possibility of building new activities with the memory state of the game you're playing. Basically building a new activity card. If the "quick resume" becomes very popular, they could do it too. It's basically dumping memory on the SSD (and restoring dump state to memory in the other way), I'm only IT engineer, not dev, but it doesn't look that difficult to do, especially when you probably already do it a bit with activities.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

You really think Jim Ryan actually made any choices in the UI or console design? Im doubtful.
Andrew House said he himself picked final design. He said he had 2 final designs for the console and 2 for the UI and he himself chose the one's we got.

And so House had final say on the look of the PS4 box & UI, same goes for Jimmy Sony and the PS5 look.

38:35 time stamp for UI talk

42:14 for the console design

Last edited:

Metsuk

Neo Member

did he test it? yes

did it work?

no

You really shouldn't be allowed to communicate with people, you can still transfer saves or back then up via USB. This place is full of some absolute morons who believe anything they want to.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Keep in mind BC games are CPU bound, not built with next-gen file I/O.

Yeah, it's just still odd.. Particularly how some games load way faster on the XSX and then others are reverse and load way faster on the PS5. Something to do with the files and structure of those apps? Or...are some 3rd party games just structured more favorably for one console or the other? I'm very curious about this and the reason for the discrepancies.

I'm speculating (since this is still a speculation thread) that the PS5 uses a radically different file structure and may actually have to EMULATE to some extent, files structures for BC. Or...that the games that load from one or few larger files are the ones the PS5 is quicker with, while those games with lots of smaller files do better for the XSX? Any further info on this?

Sinthor

Gold Member
Nah, they could perfectly make it later on PS5 too if it's useful. Activities are a bit of the same process, it brings you in 5 sec without splash screens or anything to a level in another game, so it's probably a dump of a memory state too, they couldn't do it in 5 sec otherwise (see NG Gamer video review for activities, it's really extremely fast).

All it lacks is the possibility of building new activities with the memory state of the game you're playing. Basically building a new activity card. If the "quick resume" becomes very popular, they could do it too. It's basically dumping memory on the SSD (and restoring dump state to memory in the other way), I'm only IT engineer, not dev, but it doesn't look that difficult to do, especially when you probably already do it a bit with activities.

Good point. I just wonder if there will even be a NEED for such a feature on PS5. At least with native PS5 games. Seems like the quick resume's MS has shown are about 5-7 seconds, which is super fast. But when the PS5 appears to be loading native games in 3 seconds or so...say even 3-5 or hell, even the same 5-7 seconds...do you NEED to have a separate feature that operates at the same speed and call it quick resume? Then again, we haven't seen a ton of games and maybe I'm making assumptions that will be proven incorrect once we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom