• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for the killzone hints...

Also both the NX gamer and DF had a fair amount of Killzone footage in their videos that they never said anything about, just showed it running at 60 fps. I found that odd to say the least.

It was certainly weird.

Does Killzone Shadow Fall run with an unlocked framerate?

Ma-Yuan

Gamepass because it’s cheap and vaping .... is this really the Xbox target demographic now?

People who spend $500 on a console to play games they can play on their existing console, but didn’t think to buy a usb plug adapter for $5....?

Seems like a feature looking for a problem...

I’m gonna guess the times are due to decompression.

Taking into account both the Xsex and PS5 have showed similar percentage load time improvements compared to last gen, I’d say they aren’t able to use the custom hardware to decompress last gen games and instead they become CPU bound during the process.

Didn’t both companies say the custom hardware offloaded a major amount of CPU work for decompression during SSD access? Not too much of a stretch to see those algorithms maxing out the CPU while populating VRAM.

Total guess though.

That is exactly the issue. The game code doesn't know about the specific hardware that takes the strain of the cpu. Basically the sdds are barely used with BC games on XSX and ps5.

TLZ

Banned
PS5 USB cannot provide power when it is in standby or power OFF state. XSX can...

charge your vape, your phone etc..

m9E8NnZ.png
Where do you guys come from? Please stop spreading lies. Even the PS4 charges in rest mode. And we've seen from the new official PS5 videos that it charges in rest mode. You can even customize what you want working in rest mode.

Sw0pDiller

Is there any timeline for when the surprise(s) for PS5 being hinted about will come?
i.m still puzzled about the Bloodborne coverage in Digial Foundry's PS5 BC clip. they showed a clip of the PS4 version and a clip of the "illegal" 60hrz mode @720p but not how it run on PS5. the also stated: (4:10) "a game a lot of people WILL (as in, in the future) be talking about, Bloodborne. people hav been crying out about a 60fps patch..... it's clear that it would work perfectly here. if it were availbale it would run the game in a locked 60 i am CONFIDENT. exactly, but the fact is that it's not available so the game hasn't really changed"

i find it suspicious that all of the other games run at a locked 30 or 60 and are being shown running in ps mode. exept bloodborne. they show ps4 footage and the illegal mod footage.... i think that yet again they are hiding something in plain sight... we will get Bloodborne and is will get a full Bloodborne patch like Ghosts of Tsushima and Days Gone have gotten. i feel taht all of those PS collection games are getting a full PS5 overhaul and that is going to be the BIG surprise... i can feel it! it's a dead givaway that they did not show any of those games in their BC clip... that's 20 AAA games coming in full PS5 glory people:
  • Bloodborne
  • Days Gone (we allready have footage of that baby 4k @ 60)
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • God of War
  • Infamous Second Son
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • The Last Guardian
  • The Last of Us Remastered
  • Until Dawn
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
  • Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Battlefield 1
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops III – Zombies Chronicles Edition
  • Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
  • Fallout 4
  • Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition
  • Monster Hunter: World (still no ps5 footage of that while for XBSX it's a big BC showoff game)
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • Persona 5
  • Resident Evil 7 Biohazard

a man yesterday was great, we got a near silent console with serious horsepower. Some very nice next gen games @ launch and a new UI to play with. the only downside for me is how it looks. i really dig the formfactor of the series X a lot better. it's just invicible and sleek. you wont even notice it besides my tv. whil the ps5 will be screaming all the time. will go digital purely as designchoice.

Last edited:

TheGejsza

Now we have another turn of events, after praising the SSD as the second coming of Jesus and saying that it’s FAR AHEAD (!) of HIGH-END PCs! LOL

I mean the thing is - BC games loading looks like ass on PS5 after all those talks but with PS5 games... they 100% delivered. 2-5s loadings are true as we see in DeS, SP MM and Astro. So it is kinda unfair to said they they marketing is crap.

Yoboman

i.m still puzzled about the Bloodborne coverage in Digial Foundry's PS5 BC clip. they showed a clip of the PS4 version and a clip of the "illegal" 60hrz mode @720p but not how it run on PS5. the also stated: (4:10) "a game a lot of people WILL (as in, in the future) be talking about, Bloodborne. people hav been crying out about a 60fps patch..... it's clear that it would work perfectly here. if it were availbale it would run the game in a locked 60 i am CONFIDENT. exactly, but the fact is that it's not available so the game hasn't really changed"

i find it suspicious that all of the other games run at a locked 30 or 60 and are being shown running in ps mode. exept bloodborne. they show ps4 footage and the illegal mod footage.... i think that yet again they are hiding something in plain sight... we will get Bloodborne and is will get a full Bloodborne patch like Ghosts of Tsushima and Days Gone have gotten. i feel taht all of those PS collection games are getting a full PS5 overhaul and that is going to be the BIG surprise... i can feel it! it's a dead givaway that they did not show any of those games in their BC clip... that's 20 AAA games coming in full PS5 glory people:
  • Bloodborne
  • Days Gone (we allready have footage of that baby @ 60)
  • God of War
  • Infamous Second Son
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • The Last Guardian
  • Until Dawn
  • Battlefield 1
  • Fallout 4
  • Monster Hunter: World (still no ps5 footage of that while for XBSX it's a big BC showoff game)
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • Persona 5

a man yesterday was great, we got a near silent console with serious horsepower. Some very nice next gen games @ launch and a new UI to play with. the only downside for me is how it looks. i really dig the formfactor of the series X a lot better. it's just invicible and sleek. you wont even notice it besides my tv. whil the ps5 will be screaming all the time. will go digital purely as designchoice.
Why would DF lie? An NDA wouldn't mean they should lie

There is no Bloodborne patch, time to accept it

TheGejsza

• Bloodborne
  • Days Gone (we allready have footage of that baby @ 60)
  • God of War
  • Infamous Second Son
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • The Last Guardian
  • Until Dawn
  • Battlefield 1
  • Fallout 4
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • Persona 5

Not mentioning The Last Guardian (had really bad FPS on PS4), Infamous (uncaped framerate), Monster Hunter World (uncapped res/fps) was really suprising for me. Also not showing must-have games like U4 makes me too think that they will get patch. Because why analyze them now if they will get patched.

THE:MILKMAN

BC performance was the surprise from Digital Foundry I believe. They were impressed with the number of titles running at a locked 60FPs. Assassin's Creed Unity did seem a bit odd to them though.

I was just looking back to what HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 was saying when others posted about DF BC being the surprise. He quoted HoofHearted HoofHearted saying [asking if] the surprise was DF's BC but said "don't miss this post guys" when quoting iamvin22 iamvin22 who simply said "nope" to HoofHearted's post.

I hope the surprise(s) are more than just boosted/patched BC games!

Last edited:

HAL-01

I'm going to make a few guesses.

1. The new store is going to be very impressive looking.
  2. There were rumors that you could stream demos from the store.
  3. A break down of the new create functionality: Create your own demos might be a thing.
im gonna go out on a limb and say he's got some multiplatform comparisons where the PS5 performs about the same as the XsX, or better in certain areas

Mahavastu

Is there a next gen Xbox serie X game that load as fast as MM and Godfall?
Not that fast, but 1st party games which I assume are optimized for Series X (Gears 5, Outer Worlds, Hellblade) are loading "pretty fast" and should be "fast enough" for most people.

timestamped video:

Esppiral

Maybe some of those PS5 surpriseses are related to ps2 classics? No one has talked about it, but I guess Ps2 games compatible with ps4 are also compatible with ps5, maybe there is a nice bump in resolution for those games.

HAL-01

That could possibly happen anyway, but that isnt the 'surprise'. DF said that the surprise was nothing to do with console comparisons.
I’m more intrigued then. I doubt it’s anything about game streaming as I don’t think that concerns DF much, and they’ve already talked about bc, so the only thing that comes to mind would be some unannounced OS function, maybe an AI assistant or the elusive quick resume

Pantz

Curious about what John said here about PS5 always having HDR on:

He says he think it looks good on PS4 games but didn't really go into much detail. Is this a real feature like their version of enhancing the visuals a bit? I'm wondering if my TV is always going to be sitting on my HDR settings for max backlight and max contrast for SDR games. Or with this they're no longer SDR? Will this be the same for non-HDR PS5 games? This seems like a big feature, I haven't really heard about until now.

Anyone help me out here?
Edit:
Not really a feature, it will just map SDR output into HDR color space, so that the tv doesn’t have to change modes going in and out of games. The sdr games will look about the same

Last edited:

Sw0pDiller

Not mentioning The Last Guardian (had really bad FPS on PS4), Infamous (uncaped framerate), Monster Hunter World (uncapped res/fps) was really suprising for me. Also not showing must-have games like U4 makes me too think that they will get patch. Because why analyze them now if they will get patched.

is this clip he is covering: Hitman, Monster Hunter, Bloodborne, Sekiro and Dak Souls. al ps5 footage, so maybe my expectations should be toned down...

im gonna go out on a limb and say he's got some multiplatform comparisons where the PS5 performs about the same as the XsX, or better in certain areas

I have my doubts but we will see what happens. I'm not really expecting the PS5 to win multiplat comparisons but it won't be as broken as what people like Dealer are saying.

HAL-01

He says he think it looks good on PS4 games but didn't really go into much detail. Is this a real feature like their version of enhancing the visuals a bit? I'm wondering if my TV is always going to be sitting on my HDR settings for max backlight and max contrast for SDR games. Or with this they're no longer SDR? Will this be the same for non-HDR PS5 games? This seems like a big feature, I haven't really heard about until now.

Anyone help me out here?

Not really a feature, it will just map SDR output into HDR color space, so that the tv doesn’t have to change modes going in and out of games. The sdr games will look about the same

MastaKiiLA

I think the following was not mentioned yet, but might be of interest to some:
it seems the PS5 is quiter in horizontal position than in vertical position.

In the timestamped video below (german, sorry) the noise was measured. Sadly I do not know anything about "sone" and "decibel", but they say that everything below 1 sone can not be heard. Maybe someone else can fill in more.

in menu:
horizontal: 0.1 sone
vertical: 0.1 sonse

digital downloaded (without drive usage)
Spiderman Miles Morales PS5:
horizontal: 0.8 sone
vertical: 1.1 sonse

God of war 2018 PS4:
horizontal: 0.6 sone
vertical: 0.9 sonse

with drive (they probably mean that the drive is spinning and running a game, but it was confusing)
horizontal: 1.3 sone
vertical: 1.0 sonse

timestamped video, german

I like stuff like this, but I wonder why they changed the direction the console is facing from vertical to horizontal. I figure the system should have been facing forward when vertical, and the mic raised up to the midline of the console. Or, to make it easier, position the mic so that it's that the bottom of the console when horizontal. I'd like to eliminate the possibility that the added noise is due to the air venting from the rear, and the mic picking that up easier when vertical than horizontal. Thanks for the video and summary.

user1337

For those wondering, we already had a list of the 10 games that wouldn't play in BC mode in PS5. Here are the ones that will show a warning, but still run:

All PS4 Games That May Exhibit Errors on PS5

While the vast majority of PS4 games will work on PS5 without any errors, Sony has marked some games on the PlayStation Store with the following warning: "When playing on PS5, this game may exhibit errors or unexpected behaviour and some features available on PS4 may be absent." It's important to note that any PS4 games carrying this message will load and be playable on the PS5, but they may exhibit errors like minor graphical glitches or bugs. The full list of all PS4 games that may exhibit errors on PS5 is as follows:

• A Summer with the Shiba Inu
  • Active Soccer 2 DX
  • American Ninja Warrior: Challenge
  • Anomaly 2
  • APB Reloaded
  • Ape Escape 2
  • Arcade Land
  • Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: India
  • Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: Russia
  • Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: Trilogy Pack
  • Assassin's Creed Syndicate
  • Assetto Corsa
  • Assetto Corsa Ultimate Edition
  • Atrapa La Bandera
  • Batman: Return to Arkham - Arkham City
  • Battlezone
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
  • Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
  • Chicken Police
  • Clan N
  • Close to the Sun
  • Crossout
  • Darius Cozmic Collection Arcade
  • Daylight
  • Dead Island Retro Revenge
  • Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition
  • Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Fortune
  • Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Fortune Free-to-Play Version
  • Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Scarlet
  • Deliver Us The Moon
  • Dino Frontier
  • Disney Classic Games: Aladdin and The Lion King
  • Doki-Doki Universe
  • DOOM VFR
  • Dungeon Rushers
  • DYNASTY WARRIORS 8 Empires
  • DYNASTY WARRIORS 8 Empires Free Alliances Version
  • DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition
  • Entwined
  • EVE: Valkyrie – Warzone
  • Everybody's Golf
  • Feral Fury
  • Filthy Lucre
  • Flinthook
  • Frisky Business
  • Game of Thrones
  • Gensokyo Defenders
  • Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions
  • Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered
  • GRIP
  • Hardware: Rivals
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • How to Survive: Storm Warning Edition
  • Kickbeat Special Edition
  • Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
  • Left Alive
  • Let's Sing 10
  • Let's Sing 2018
  • Lightfield
  • LittleBigPlanet 3
  • Mafia III The Complete Edition
  • Mafia III: Definitive Edition
  • Manhunt
  • Metal Slug Anthology
  • MLB 14 The Show
  • MLB 15 The Show
  • MLB The Show 16
  • MLB The Show 17
  • MLB The Show 18
  • MLB The Show 19
  • MOTHERGUNSHIP
  • NBA 2K19
  • NBA 2K20
  • Need for Speed
  • NHL 19
  • Nobunaga's Ambition Souzou
  • Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence
  • OKAGE: Shadow King
  • Onigiri
  • Operation Warcade
  • Paddle Vs. Paddle
  • Pinball Arcade
  • PixARK
  • PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate
  • Prey
  • Primal
  • Pro Evolution Soccer 2018
  • Pro Evolution Soccer 2018 LITE
  • Project CARS
  • Project CARS GOTY Edition
  • Pure Hold'em
  • Pure Hold'em - World Poker Championship
  • Pure Pool
  • Realm Royale
  • RIGS Mechanized Combat League
  • RISK
  • Roundabout
  • Saint Seiya: Soldiers' Soul
  • Sea of Solitude
  • Season Match 2 HD
  • Season Match 3 Curse of the Witch Crow
  • Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal
  • Senran Kagura Estival Versus
  • Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash
  • Shuttle Commander
  • Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
  • SMITE
  • Space Junkies
  • Star Ocean Second Evolution
  • Star Ocean: Till The End Of Time
  • STAR STRIKE ULTRA
  • STAR STRIKE ULTRA VR
  • Star Trek: Bridge Crew
  • Super Kids Racing
  • Super Stardust Ultra
  • Super Stardust Ultra VR
  • Survive Said The Prophet VR Experience
  • Sword Art Online Re: Hollow Fragment
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan
  • Tennis World Tour
  • The Golf Club 2019
  • The King of Fighters 2000
  • The Surge
  • The Tomorrow Children
  • The Walking Dead: Season 1
  • The Warriors
  • Tooth and Tail
  • True Fear: Forsaken Souls Part 2
  • Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
  • Valhalla Hills
  • Velocity 2X
  • Werewolves Within
  • WRC 8 FIA World Rally Championship
  • Zero Escape: The Nonary Games

Personally I don't play any of those, but some of you might, so it's there for your info.

ToadMan

That is exactly the issue. The game code doesn't know about the specific hardware that takes the strain of the cpu. Basically the sdds are barely used with BC games on XSX and ps5.

Yeah I looked up this text from the cerny stuff...

“By the way in terms of performance that custom decompressor equates to nine of our Zen2 cores that's what it would take to decompress the Kraken stream with a conventional CPU.

There's a lot more in the custom I/O unit including a dedicated DMA controller the game can direct exactly where it wants to send the data coming off of the SSD.

This equates to another Zen2 core or two in terms of its copy performance.”

I assume PS4’s zlib format isn’t compatible with the kraken dscompressor hardware so it’s done on the CPU and copied back to RAM.

This isn’t an SSD speed issue in my opinion - it’s a compatibility problem and seems to be the same for both consoles.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
For those wondering, we already had a list of the 10 games that wouldn't play in BC mode in PS5. Here are the ones that will show a warning, but still run:

All PS4 Games That May Exhibit Errors on PS5

While the vast majority of PS4 games will work on PS5 without any errors, Sony has marked some games on the PlayStation Store with the following warning: "When playing on PS5, this game may exhibit errors or unexpected behaviour and some features available on PS4 may be absent." It's important to note that any PS4 games carrying this message will load and be playable on the PS5, but they may exhibit errors like minor graphical glitches or bugs. The full list of all PS4 games that may exhibit errors on PS5 is as follows:

• A Summer with the Shiba Inu
  • Active Soccer 2 DX
  • American Ninja Warrior: Challenge
  • Anomaly 2
  • APB Reloaded
  • Ape Escape 2
  • Arcade Land
  • Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: India
  • Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: Russia
  • Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: Trilogy Pack
  • Assassin's Creed Syndicate
  • Assetto Corsa
  • Assetto Corsa Ultimate Edition
  • Atrapa La Bandera
  • Batman: Return to Arkham - Arkham City
  • Battlezone
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
  • Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
  • Chicken Police
  • Clan N
  • Close to the Sun
  • Crossout
  • Darius Cozmic Collection Arcade
  • Daylight
  • Dead Island Retro Revenge
  • Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition
  • Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Fortune
  • Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Fortune Free-to-Play Version
  • Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Scarlet
  • Deliver Us The Moon
  • Dino Frontier
  • Disney Classic Games: Aladdin and The Lion King
  • Doki-Doki Universe
  • DOOM VFR
  • Dungeon Rushers
  • DYNASTY WARRIORS 8 Empires
  • DYNASTY WARRIORS 8 Empires Free Alliances Version
  • DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition
  • Entwined
  • EVE: Valkyrie – Warzone
  • Everybody's Golf
  • Feral Fury
  • Filthy Lucre
  • Flinthook
  • Frisky Business
  • Game of Thrones
  • Gensokyo Defenders
  • Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions
  • Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered
  • GRIP
  • Hardware: Rivals
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • How to Survive: Storm Warning Edition
  • Kickbeat Special Edition
  • Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
  • Left Alive
  • Let's Sing 10
  • Let's Sing 2018
  • Lightfield
  • LittleBigPlanet 3
  • Mafia III The Complete Edition
  • Mafia III: Definitive Edition
  • Manhunt
  • Metal Slug Anthology
  • MLB 14 The Show
  • MLB 15 The Show
  • MLB The Show 16
  • MLB The Show 17
  • MLB The Show 18
  • MLB The Show 19
  • MOTHERGUNSHIP
  • NBA 2K19
  • NBA 2K20
  • Need for Speed
  • NHL 19
  • Nobunaga's Ambition Souzou
  • Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence
  • OKAGE: Shadow King
  • Onigiri
  • Operation Warcade
  • Paddle Vs. Paddle
  • Pinball Arcade
  • PixARK
  • PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate
  • Prey
  • Primal
  • Pro Evolution Soccer 2018
  • Pro Evolution Soccer 2018 LITE
  • Project CARS
  • Project CARS GOTY Edition
  • Pure Hold'em
  • Pure Hold'em - World Poker Championship
  • Pure Pool
  • Realm Royale
  • RIGS Mechanized Combat League
  • RISK
  • Roundabout
  • Saint Seiya: Soldiers' Soul
  • Sea of Solitude
  • Season Match 2 HD
  • Season Match 3 Curse of the Witch Crow
  • Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal
  • Senran Kagura Estival Versus
  • Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash
  • Shuttle Commander
  • Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
  • SMITE
  • Space Junkies
  • Star Ocean Second Evolution
  • Star Ocean: Till The End Of Time
  • STAR STRIKE ULTRA
  • STAR STRIKE ULTRA VR
  • Star Trek: Bridge Crew
  • Super Kids Racing
  • Super Stardust Ultra
  • Super Stardust Ultra VR
  • Survive Said The Prophet VR Experience
  • Sword Art Online Re: Hollow Fragment
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan
  • Tennis World Tour
  • The Golf Club 2019
  • The King of Fighters 2000
  • The Surge
  • The Tomorrow Children
  • The Walking Dead: Season 1
  • The Warriors
  • Tooth and Tail
  • True Fear: Forsaken Souls Part 2
  • Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
  • Valhalla Hills
  • Velocity 2X
  • Werewolves Within
  • WRC 8 FIA World Rally Championship
  • Zero Escape: The Nonary Games

Personally I don't play any of those, but some of you might, so it's there for your info.
It's possibly much longer than this list, as no one has all the games, let alone testing them all. But it still doesn't mean much. 99% they'll all play fine, but there's that slight chance there'd be a bug or two.

renx

I was just looking back to what HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 was saying when others posted about DF BC being the surprise. He quoted HoofHearted HoofHearted saying [asking if] the surprise was DF's BC but said "don't miss this post guys" when quoting iamvin22 iamvin22 who simply said "nope" to HoofHearted's post.

I hope the surprise(s) are more than just boosted/patched BC games!

There will be some more surprises according to John, but look at how the BC video begins.
They quote the "people will be surprised" part of the previous video, and then Richard says "we promised you that there will be surprises...well here they are!"
So it was all about how excited they were since the console's BC was working in such a great way, 60 fps with no frame drops at all.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
I'm going to make a few guesses.

1. The new store is going to be very impressive looking.
  2. There were rumors that you could stream demos from the store.
  3. A break down of the new create functionality: Create your own demos might be a thing.
I actually remember some patents or leaks about ps5 ui allowing us to create short demos of games and share it with our friends... Hmm

Andodalf

Banned

Anyone help me out here?
Edit:

The console is always outputting HDR when it’s set to on, and when SDR content is being played it is tone mapped into an HDR space, which will basically just the the SDR image with brightness a bit higher across the board. It’s not Auto HDR or anything, but it means the TV should be able to stay in HDR mode all the time instead of switching in and out.

Shmunter

The console is always outputting HDR when it’s set to on, and when SDR content is being played it is tone mapped into an HDR space, which will basically just the the SDR image with brightness a bit higher across the board. It’s not Auto HDR or anything, but it means the TV should be able to stay in HDR mode all the time instead of switching in and out.
Power consumption all over the world will increase with screens running in 100% backlight. 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom