• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next Gen Is Here! Are you not entertained?
6Za4kZo.jpg

Also how do I turn of PS5 Rest mode. I want to be able to power it all the way down.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Early notes:

- Stand is kinda janky in horizontal mode
- Holy shit the system update downloaded fast... roughly 2 minutes for nearly a gigabyte
- LOL Sony forgot to remove the web browser settings section.. they totally have a browser for this thing, and are disabling it for business reasons

Installing Dark Souls now. Might checkout Astros Playroom first, but... didn't expect a game to be ready in like 30 minutes.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Hope you guys enjoy your PS5's and Series consoles, haven't actually pre-ordered either of them. Looking to get them sometime next year.
Yeah me too, makes sense for me to buy it sometime around next year, I'm thinking around August/September, Horizon Forbidden West will have or will be released close to that time and hopefully the God of War sequel won't be far off either, I'll need to overhaul as well and upgrade my 1080p TV to a 4K one. Looking forward to it!

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Early notes:

- Stand is kinda janky in horizontal mode
- Holy shit the system update downloaded fast... roughly 2 minutes for nearly a gigabyte
- LOL Sony forgot to remove the web browser settings section.. they totally have a browser for this thing, and are disabling it for business reasons

Installing Dark Souls now. Might checkout Astros Playroom first, but... didn't expect a game to be ready in like 30 minutes.
All consoles nowadays have to have a web browser at system level for connecting through captive portals, allowing games to load T&C's that kind of stuff.

Like you say maybe business reasons mean they may be worried having it as an app as it could allow xCloud, Stadia, Luna etc into their platform via it. Or maybe they just haven't got around to implementing all the features they want and they will in future. 🤷‍♂️

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
All consoles nowadays have to have a web browser at system level for connecting through captive portals, allowing games to load T&C's that kind of stuff.

Like you say maybe business reasons mean they may be worried having it as an app as it could allow xCloud, Stadia, Luna etc into their platform via it. Or maybe they just haven't got around to implementing all the features they want and they will in future. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah I guess it could just be settings for a browser component currently exposed to games/apps. As pointed out in another thread, the twitter app is essentially a browser (and can follow links.)

But it just says "Web Browser" so that's gonna be confusing to people who don't know the Web Browser was actually removed. And you can do stuff like disable cookies and whatnot; just seems a bit odd from a UX perspective.

Last edited:

M_A_C

Yeah I guess it could just be settings for a browser component currently exposed to games/apps. As pointed out in another thread, the twitter app is essentially a browser (and can follow links.)

But it just says "Web Browser" so that's gonna be confusing to people who don't know the Web Browser was actually removed. And you can do stuff like disable cookies and whatnot; just seems a bit odd from a UX perspective.

Rea

Spiderman is actually really pretty. Looks fairly cross gen especially at night when you see buildings from afar but then you get to the ground and the ray tracing and lighting really enhances the overall graphics. It's a pretty drastic improvement from the PS4 version. i dont remember it looking this good on foot at night.
Didn't you said Spider man on ps5 looks the same as ps4 version except raytracing?
now you're playing yourself, how do you think about character details and Lighting in the game?

- So PS5 drops 1 frame and the XSX has tearing. Pick your poison :pie_thinking:
- Dynamic resolution on both machines. The average resolution varies between 1620p and 1800p. Have seen the XSX drop all the way down to 1440p and haven't seen that on the PS5 but he thinks it can drop that low too.
- Most likely using a reconstruction technique to reach 2160p.
- PS5 goes from the game's main menu to game in 11.42s and XSX does that in 12.98s, a whopping 12% difference, omg! (/s)

Last edited:

JonkyDonk

shocker the game is same on both. Its as if the machines are equally powerful
It's crazy to think of the amount of nonsense that people have said about the PS5 since last December, not just the fanboys but even people in the media, just constantly regurgitating the Xbox marketing line of 'most powerful' with no actual evidence. And now not a single whisper will come out about this, people will just pretend like none of it ever happened.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Well....my PS5...she showed up today. Having a lot of fun...though I have had the issue with the external drive occur...black screen, have to power off... But damn, this is one fast, and sweet console.

Just........her......size........... I mean, don't get me wrong...I'm not being a bigot or anything. Just.....she's......large. Kinda reminds me of...

Damn man... imagine if all this talk about 12TF comes down to nothing in the end. A 36CUs GPU bitch slaping a 52CU GPU.

Seriously I thought they would be close but still with a small win for XSX. I know it's still waaaay too early to say anything but I expected pretty much every multiplat to show something of a win for the XSX. Small, but still there.

MistBreeze

Damn man... imagine if all this talk about 12TF comes down to nothing in the end. A 36CUs GPU bitch slaping a 52CU GPU.

Seriously I thought they would be close but still with a small win for XSX. I know it's still waaaay too early to say anything but I expected pretty much every multiplat to show something of a win for the XSX. Small, but still there.
I expect the same ... but in the end does it matter???

I feel is the deciding factors will be the games u want, controller and friends in getting the console

and for me it is ps5

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member

If the difference is this small now, it's going to be negligible in the second and third wave of games too. Developers will optimise for both consoles, create better API's, create better profiles and tune the caches, I could be wrong but I really don't think the gap will widen anytime soon.

3liteDragon

The fact that I'm seeing a 11.4 second loading screen for PS5 on ACV and then looking at Miles Morales taking a second to load everything tells me that the first wave of third-party multiplat titles coming out aren't really programmed to make proper use of the SSD tech just yet. Maybe second or third wave, we might see no loading screens on third-parties, hopefully.

Arioco

Same here. I was expecting them to be close, just not this close. I always thought Series X would have a slight edge when it comes to multiplat games. What we have is pretty much like for like.

On the other hand I must admit I expected load times to be less than half on PS5, and we are not seeing too much of a difference.

These machines look closer than expected, no dout.

I'm going to be patient and wait for PS5 stocks next year.

I don't want to play any of the shit out on next gen right now like Valhalla and Dirt 5.

I'd rather wait for Ragnarok and other 2nd wave games before diving into next gen. I hope you all enjoy your Series X's and PS5's. I'll join you guys next year.

Here's to hoping cross gen is a mandatory thing on all multiplatform games.

I could be behind here ... but all those saying 1440p monitors aren't an issue, they are. From experience ... the PS4pro output to a native 4k monitor is sharper than it outputting 4K to a 1440p monitor and having it downscaled. It's especially obvious in the dash where text isn't as sharp as it should be. Having the PS5 output a native 1440p would be a better solution, but that isn't going to happen.

I second the shouts to switch to a 4K monitor (or TV).

ZehDon

Gold Member
It's crazy to think of the amount of nonsense that people have said about the PS5 since last December, not just the fanboys but even people in the media, just constantly regurgitating the Xbox marketing line of 'most powerful' with no actual evidence. And now not a single whisper will come out about this, people will just pretend like none of it ever happened.
That anyone can write this with a straight face when "SSD Secret Sauce" has been doing the rounds for the last 7 months is, in and of itself, amusing :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom