• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sircaw

Banned
For any people out there that still want to wish our resident fat-cat some good wishes and have not done so yet, please feel free to visit the thread below.

A little kindness goes along way.

Peace all.

Donarudo

Some interesting comments on the XSX gpu by veteran beyond3d forum member iroboto. Link to comment on B3D

Seems like the tweets about the XSX gpu frontend where true and they cut corners to have more compute units.

iroboto-comment.jpg

FunkMiller

There's a lot of fanboy activity and cheerleading over a multiplatform game that has never been exceptionally performant in any generation ( on any platform including PC). A 1 frame difference and near parity isn't a huge deal.

After the endless insistence from XBox fans that the XSX will be far in advance of the Ps5? I’d say it’s a huge deal for everyone enthusiastic about gaming, who had to put up with that bullshit, wouldn’t you?

Shmunter

I agree, every modern device should have QOS embedded. Problem is that you will have to configure it at your network device point, and not everyone has the capabilities to undrstand the shit that it under the rag.

Still, best bet would be a OS update. Put a request forward. That stuff is fixable.
Console is supposed to do it, it knows when a multiplayer session is active, otherwise they wouldn’t be able to paywall ps+. When active, it needs to throttle all downloads. Especially since the console auto updates games, users shouldn’t need to be concerned their gaming is impacted. Can’t see anyone else reporting it so I’ll need to do more homework.

There's a lot of fanboy activity and cheerleading over a multiplatform game that has never been exceptionally performant in any generation ( on any platform including PC). A 1 frame difference and near parity isn't a huge deal.
huh? so proving "mutlplats will run much better on XSX" wrong isn't a huge deal i guess. ya, i guess you are right. who cares about resolution or framerates.

Imtjnotu

Haven't got the console yet but adjusted the pad straight away, hate concave sticks. Good thing is the silver part is easily adjustable. not sure how i feel about the silver, might go back to black.

DSC_0130.JPG
Not a fan of the silver at all. White and red or white and purple maybe

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
FYI the Geometry Engine has not be used to its full potential yet.... Ratchet and Clank will probably be the most advanced looking game to date on PS5 once released, and even then the GE will still not be fully tapped into....

GE is the next gen feature that AMD can't wait to have as part of RDNA 3 feature set.

Bookmark and hit me up once RDNA 3 has been revealed. I bet my Neogaf membership on it. 👍😝
From what I understand and DM's from RGT, it's not that the exact GE unit in the PS5 will be bolted into RDNA 3, rather it will be a variation of it, this maybe because the GE needs certain levels of programming which can't be done on the PC. According to RGT and even AMD, RDNA 3 is aiming to be another big leap over RDNA 2 especially when it comes to performance and efficiency, hence why they must have liked PS5's geometry handling solution and thought they would incorporate it into their dGPU's. To put it in simple terms, RDNA 3's geometry handling solution was heavily influenced by the PS5's GE. But again this is all in the real of leaks and speculation.
This feeling, It feels as if a million armchair computer engineers suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced
Come for next gen speculation, stay for the Star Wars references :messenger_winking:
I fucking love Tropic Thunder. Still my all time favourite comedy!

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Console is supposed to do it, it knows when a multiplayer session is active, otherwise they wouldn’t be able to paywall ps+. When active, it needs to throttle all downloads. Especially since the console auto updates games, users shouldn’t need to be concerned their gaming is impacted. Can’t see anyone else reporting it so I’ll need to do more homework.
Downloads kind of feel half baked to me in general on the PS5. It's weird that the only menu where you can just see what is downloading is the overlay menu, and there isn't one in the main OS.

Some interesting comments on the XSX gpu by veteran beyond3d forum member iroboto. Link to comment on B3D

Seems like the tweets about the XSX gpu frontend where true and they cut corners to have more compute units.

iroboto-comment.jpg
feels good to be right :messenger_grimmacing_

now talking about the new pipeline, yes, the new pipeline is going to revolutionary. But i will reiterate. The strategy to always release the same XBOX game on PC is going to make this transition much more difficult. Developers will need to observe how fast customers migrate to the new GPU architecture so that they can focus on the new pipeline. i predict UE5 is the savior of XSX. ironically a lot of green camp fans talked a ton of crap about Tim Sweeney.

Great Hair

Banned
That's just my take. You're welcome to disagree. I do recommend everyone watch these comparison videos on a proper 4k TV though. I actually refuse to watch 1080p videos of next-gen games

totally agree with you.

But if you look at these highlighted zones, there´s definitely a lot more "smear" (VRS?) happening on the XSX. Even at 1080 one can discern it and it has nothing to do with video encoding (both sides would be affected).

Andodalf

Banned

iroboto-comment.jpg

This doesn't make sense in terms of the number of CUs other RDNA 2 Chips have, or the simple addition of more CUs due to the die shift from last gen. The desktop part takes up more space on the die due to huge cache, but should be otherwise similar.

Garani

12.1TF * 1.18 (add 18%) = 14.2TF!!! (sounds alot like what PS5 was predicted to be........)

Why 12? It's PS5 10.23 or something? (which in the end means absolutelly nothing at all?)

That isn't the problem. The problem is in configuring your broadband network. If it doesn't respect QOS queues, it's useless to set them up on the console. Plus, there are different strategies, how do you choose one or the other? It's not as easy as simply clicking a bottom. It's far easier for the PS5 OS to just throttle down the download until there is a decent ping, and from there on be adaptive. It takes some code, but it is doable.

RookX22

Holy mother of god, how do I get voice comms out through Hdmi so my home theatre headphones can listen. The shit is perma locked to the controller speaker or direct phones into ds4. WHAT!!!
Yeah I would like to know this also. Battlefield squad voice comes through controller speaker looked all over and couldn't find a setting to change it.

Sinthor

Gold Member
my general feeling is that the OS was rushed. understandable because it's completely new. quite a bold move btw.
I don't know about "rushed" as this has been coming quite a while. I get the sense there are a good number of features left out right now...maybe Covid impacting development? I mean the PS4 OS was buggy when it first came out and it was basically just a stepped up version of the PS4 OS. This is BRAND NEW for the PS5. Feels way different. Better, but definitely different. I see web browser options in settings but no browser...the issues with not being able to store PS5 games on an external drive which WAS talked about before launch. I think they had to pare down features for stability on launch. Still some bugs, especially with the external drives, but overall this is NICE. I think it's going to be flat out awesome in the coming months/years.

The PS4 felt like PS3 on steroids...so much faster and crisper. But the PS5...it really does feel like it's a BIG LEAP forward. Can't wait to see what they do with all of this!

Shio

Why 12? It's PS5 10.23 or something? (which in the end means absolutelly nothing at all?)

That isn't the problem. The problem is in configuring your broadband network. If it doesn't respect QOS queues, it's useless to set them up on the console. Plus, there are different strategies, how do you choose one or the other? It's not as easy as simply clicking a bottom. It's far easier for the PS5 OS to just throttle down the download until there is a decent ping, and from there on be adaptive. It takes some code, but it is doable.
I said 12.1 as thats the TF of the XSX, my theory is that if the TF of the XSX was known as 12.1 and people/devs saw that the PS5 was 18% more performant at some tests then they might assume it was 14.2TF based on that which is inline with old rumours.

travisktl

After playing the PS5 most of the day yesterday, the main two terms I can use to describe games like Miles and especially Demon's Souls are "atmosphere" and "immersion". To me, that sums up what games made for the PS5 will bring to the table. Not only do both games look amazing, but the use of the tempest engine and massively improved lighting techniques just make everything sit in the world better and feel very cohesive, instead of looking like games we're used to. The audio in Demon's Souls is especially impressive, because you can just let your character sit there, and you're able to hear sounds all around you in the environment. It really makes you feel like you're more in the game.

The haptics in Astro are super impressive. After playing that game for a while, I do feel like it begins to be a bit over the top, but playing it for shorter periods of time and experiencing all of the different types of vibrations is really cool. The one thing that impressed me initially was just letting Astro sit in the water at the beginning of cooling springs, and somehow they made the vibration actually simulate what it feels like to be in water and be moving with the motion of the waves. The adaptive triggers are cool as well, and are surprisingly strong. The haptics in Demon's Souls are less intense, but are implemented in cool ways. You feel more of a generic type rumble in combat, but there are random things you don't expect like feeling the vibrations from huge chains while going up or down an elevator. It simulates what I could imagine actually standing on the elevator would be like, and feeling the friction of the chains.

The console itself is whisper quiet, just like everyone else has reported it to be. Even after playing 6-8 hours yesterday, I literally never heard the fan once. I was able to use the controller and headphones the entire time, and not have to recharge either one of them. Sony really knocked it out of the park with the PS5. Every single game I played was smooth, and I never had a single performance issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom